Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why havent those anglo documents been decrytpted yet?

Options
  • 24-01-2011 8:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

Who is in charge of the investigation-the garda? cant they just legally sue for the passwords if they cant get them bruteforced first?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,024 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

They should just ask the IT people. Don't they work for the state now? Those b'stards always know where the skeletons are buried. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Lumen wrote: »
    They should just ask the IT people. Don't they work for the state now? Those b'stards always know where the skeletons are buried. ;)

Glad you put some trust in your IT guys.

Mine are crap. Then again, have they tried kicking it and cursing at it? I find it helps.

Glad you put some trust in your IT guys.

Mine are crap. Then again, have they tried kicking it and cursing at it? I find it helps.

However incompetent you think your IT guys are, it is an absolute certainty that they are smarter than senior bank executives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

They should just ask the IT people.

Will turning it off and turning it back on again work?
    That's what our IT people always say

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Perhaps the undertakers might know something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 18,453 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There was a thread in one of the technical forums on this a few months ago.
    In general IT guys cant help with this one if the individual as done the encryption.
    http://www.truecrypt.org/ Free open source software.

kippy wrote: »
    There was a thread in one of the technical forums on this a few months ago.
    In general IT guys cant help with this one if the individual as done the encryption.
    http://www.truecrypt.org/ Free open source software.

Big If.

Got a link to that thread?

I read that the documents used MS Office passwords.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,453 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Big If.

Got a link to that thread?

I read that the documents used MS Office passwords.

Sorry, It wasnt in the technical forums it was in the Irish Economy forum.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056103480

The documents and files are in the hands of the Gardai for a while now so Anglo IT dont appear to have any access to open them.
    One can only assume that if the Gardai cyber crime unit (with the help of academia I believe) cannot open these files, they are encrypted a bit stronger than via office document passwords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

It's a ruse. I see no-one has been arrested for obstructing justice because of it. Swend the key's over to my gaff, with some of those bankers. I'll get those codes!

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    Sorry, It wasnt in the technical forums it was in the Irish Economy forum.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056103480

The documents and files are in the hands of the Gardai for a while now so Anglo IT dont appear to have any access to open them.
    One can only assume that if the Gardai cyber crime unit (with the help of academia I believe) cannot open these files, they are encrypted a bit stronger than via office document passwords.

Jesus, the signal/noise in that thread.

Basically, the answer is:
    ntlbell wrote: »
    It's impossible to give any reasonable comment from a technical point of view when there are little or no facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

nudist wrote: »
    Who is in charge of the investigation-the garda? cant they just legally sue for the passwords if they cant get them bruteforced first?

I don't know if suing could work. They could claim they can't remember the password. And possibly could make themselves forget. Eg by remembering almost identical passwords as to confuse the noggin

I say bring in Jack Bauer to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I thinking this link will explain how breaking encryption working in the real world:

http://xkcd.com/538/

Also you have a right to not incriminate yourself so they do not legally have to hand over the keys { the UK have a law that you can go to jail if you don't hand them over}.

On a side note for them to be SOX { Sarbanes–Oxley } compliant the keys should be co-signed by a root pair that can decode them.
    So the owner of these keys should still be able to decode them, it;s is normally the Encryption Admin and/or CTO.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

*takes breath from inhaler*

Have they tried updating their BIOS?

Perhaps they should find the Recovery CD for TrueCrypt?

Have they installed to the latest ATI / Nvidia drivers?

Run a scan on AVG

Enter in a static IP address?

Run Chkdsk

Do a repair install of Windows

Upgrade their RAM?

*Pushes thick nerd glasses up with middle finger*

Heheheheh, uninstall Internet Explorer and install Firefox?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Have they tried 'Pass123' or 'LetMeIn'.

They're the passwords I always use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

When thy say that the wheels of Irish justice move slowly they weren't joking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Have they tried 'Pass123' or 'LetMeIn'.

They're the passwords I always use.

or "letmeout" perhaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

orourkeda wrote: »
    When thy say that the wheels of Irish justice move slowly they weren't joking.

the wheels of Irish justice move quickly if someone tips the gates of Leinster House with a lorry.
    Expect the anglo inquiry to drag on for a long time. It will slowly disappear from the headlines. Any investigation in this country, which implicates the state in wrong-doing, never gets resolved

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

They should make it into a public contest, whoever can crack the code gets a large cash prize or maybe a lifetime supply of government cheese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭TheDuderino

Password could be "Evidencedontshowtogardaorwereallscrewed"

or "pa55w0rd"

look under keyboard/mouse mat or on a post-it stuck to the monitor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Write this one down and ask them if it's the right one.

Ifyoudon'ttellmethepasswordI'llconnectyourballstothemains

Advertisement