Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First sign of aggression from doberman pup. What to do?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

Dogs growling is a normal part of their behaviour, which at certain times is unacceptable.

Figuring out what times it is acceptable is the learned behaviour on the part of the owners and the treatment of that is never a one size fits all solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

peasant wrote: »
    indeed ...I wouldn't say you "corrected" him at all. You understood that he was uncomfortable / ill at ease and removed him from the situation...I would call that "communication" and "helping" ...the way it's supposed to be ...showing leadership and all that :D

Ah you see I would define it as correcting it, because afterwards he went back into his crate and sat happily with the people around. The situation was "correct" :p No I can see the confusion, and I hope people don't think I mean if your dog is scared and growling you should tell him to shut up. I mean that you should fix it so your dog doesn't feel the need to growl.

I do think you should act on a growl every time though, how you do it should be tailored to the situation, but I don't think it should be ignored. And I still think that a growl because you disturb them is not on. :)

Whispered wrote: »

I do think you should act on a growl every time though, how you do it should be tailored to the situation, but I don't think it should be ignored. And I still think that a growl because you disturb them is not on. :)

I cannot agree here.

For example, a bitch is 'in heat' and growls at a dog that is coming up to her as she is not interested.

I never interfere with this. Are you saying that I am wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

My fiancee and I were sitting on couch, my pup was falling asleep with his head in her lap, she was giving him cuddle when he growled and showed his teeth.

I would have a SERIOUS issue with my dog, if he was on the couch beside me, with his head IN MY LAP, and say I was stroking his head and his ears, and he stripped his teeth and growled at me????

I actually think that's pretty serious - because how the hell are you supposed to move away from the dog to issue a correction or ensure he doesn't escalate if his head is in your lap???

A lot of posters on here may not have picked that up in the OP's post, and may think his fiance approached the dog on the couch and started to stroke him, but I'd be very concerned about what the OP actually described.

I'd take the dog to the vet initially to make sure it doesn't have pain around its ears - he may have growled if he had an ear infection or something else in his ears and she was stroking them.

I actually do feel this is something to be quite concerned about and not as simple as 'oh just leave him he was sleeping'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

For example, a bitch is 'in heat' and growls at a dog that is coming up to her as she is not interested.

A dog intent on mating may not obey 'normal' signals thus possibly resulting in a dog fight, so yes I would interfere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I cannot agree here.

No I'm not saying it's wrong because we're talking about growling at humans here in this thread, or at least I was.

I'm pretty relaxed with dogs vocalising at each other actually, so long as one is not an obvious trouble maker of course.

lrushe wrote: »
    A dog intent on mating may not obey 'normal' signals thus possibly resulting in a dog fight, so yes I would interfere.

It would be unusual for a bitch to continue after snarling and nipping the dog to the point of a fight, so your presumption to interfere is not really in issue.

Advertisement