Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six measures we could sign up to to help Ireland in 2011!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Charisma

Most of the non Irish in this country who are working here send the bulk of their wages back to their families abroad so not only are they taking jobs from the Irish they are sending the money that would have gone into the Irish economy abroad.
    Buy Irish and employ Irish.

I don't really understand that? Many foreigners are Irish Citizens aren't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Charisma wrote: »
    Most of the non Irish in this country who are working here send the bulk of their wages back to their families abroad so not only are they taking jobs from the Irish they are sending the money that would have gone into the Irish economy abroad.
    Buy Irish and employ Irish.

And many Irish are layabout wasters scrounging as much as they can off the dole, so better not employ them!

My, it's fun to make inane generalisations isn't it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

• Don't be shy in business. If you have a great idea, get up and sell it to your bank manager, then enter your market. Banks, contrary to some opinion, do have the facility to lend and they are lending. Don't sit at home dreaming. All a bank can say is no. You have nothing to lose by trying.

Nothing to lose unless your business goes under, as most new ones do, and you have to declare bankruptcy and get pursued for your debts for a couple of decades. One of the most severe impediments to entrepreneurship in Ireland today are the draconian bankruptcy laws. These need to be changed, for enterprise loans at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

I agree with the above. More than a few hard working decent entrepreneurs have worked hard for the past few decades, long hours, and now find for whatever reason their businesses are failing and they cannot get the dole / unemployment payment if they closed down completely. ( as they may have a spouse working or a bit of money / asset accumulated ).

If they had been employees, they can. They see people , former class mates , who worked less hard at school and who did not get the same results or go on to get the same qualifications, but who got relatively cushy jobs in the public service and who never worked as hard or as long hours as they did, , and who are now much better off now in terms of salary and expected pension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Anonymous man

This is not about Foreigners it's about helping Ireland grow its economy.
    Some of the foreign people who work here have helped this country enormously and like the Irish there are good and bad everywhere. I'm not trying to create a divide here. Let's talk about helping Irish business for example.

I know in M&S they sell Britis Beef here and British chicken. I have got no problem with it but if Superquinn are selling the same produce at the same price what I am saying is that it makes sense to buy the Irish brand.

If we are talking about an inferior Irish product - then lets bring it to the attention of the business behind that product. Ok don't buy but how about getting the message over to them like "I will buy your produce if you can fix XY & Z which your Competitor is currently doing better.

Let's tell the Irish Hotel that is ripping people off why we won't go there.
    I mean look at D4 Hotels they have rooms for 50 Euro's which compates with anywhere in Spain or anywhere else in Europe. That is something they are doing right. So if you know a Hotel in your local county why not bring it up with them. We need to pull together not pull each other apart.

And to the poster who mentioned charity - yes I meant Irish charities like VDP and SIMON who have their hands full. Once we patch ourselves up then hopefullly we can go back to being the good international charitable nation we once were.

Look I don't mean to come accross as some type of racist dictator. I'm just highlighting area's we can imrpove.

A new one sprung to mind - our attitude to elderly people and foreigners.

Let's show the tourists here why we are known for being friendly.
    If you see tourists in your local area why not help out. Offer advice. Give up your seat on the bus/train for them and for the elderly. Let;s swap road rage for road grace. It's a combination of smell steps starting with our attitudes that can make the difference. Has anything I said given anyone the notion of having to make big sacrafices. No it hasn't. Why not. Would it hurty anyone to behave better as citizens?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,489 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Let's tell the Irish Hotel that is ripping people off why we won't go there.
    I mean look at D4 Hotels they have rooms for 50 Euro's which compates with anywhere in Spain or anywhere else in Europe. That is something they are doing right. So if you know a Hotel in your local county why not bring it up with them. We need to pull together not pull each other apart.

Not if they were the last hotels on the planet would I fund Sean Dunne and his odious wife. Theres a reason d4 hotels are cheap, that site is worthless as DCC keep refusing planning and the "Baron of Ballsbridge" :rolleyes: needs cash coming in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    [/LIST]
    Nothing to lose unless your business goes under, as most new ones do, and you have to declare bankruptcy and get pursued for your debts for a couple of decades. One of the most severe impediments to entrepreneurship in Ireland today are the draconian bankruptcy laws. These need to be changed, for enterprise loans at least.
    I agree fully. However, this would never wash with the two Irish Joes: Joe Worker and Joe Duffy. It would absolve NAMA developers from bankruptcy, allow them to move on from their troubles and restart their businesses in a matter of a few years. Bankruptcy law is what has most of the developer class held in a bear hug, and Joe Worker and Joe Duffy are not going to relinquish that hold.

Advertisement