Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six measures we could sign up to to help Ireland in 2011!

Options
  • 23-01-2011 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

How can we help ourselves practically?

I think we can do the following on my initial thoughts.

1> Buy Irish.
    2> If we see a non Irish competitor doing something right that the Irish company is doing wrong – point it out to them.
    3> Those of us in employment at least consider an Irish holiday this year?
    4> Do as much purchasing from our local communities as possible.
    5> Those of us with a disposable income – for every 100 Euro spent on alcohol maybe consider a Trocáire box style piggy bank. Try to sacrifice 10% of your “drink” money for the box of your charity.
    6> Encourage everyone to vote.

I am sure that these measures might not be applicable to everyone but it’s a start perhaps?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

May as well kick out the foreigners while we're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

dont know what that first reply is about cause they are all decent points, dont really see how the charity one would benefit ireland, unless of course your talking about charities that help irish people (homeless etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

My suggestions would be

• Ignore the Unions and any enthusiasm for strike action in the short to medium term. Nobody can sit this one out, there has to be a sting.
    • Vote for any party you like, but try to take a hard look at how voting for a party pussyfooting around wage restraint and competitive labour pratice will effect employment and economic progress. Ask yourself if this is really the time to vote for such a party mid-crisis.
    • If you are a debtor under stress, don't ignore your financial commitments. Be upfront with your bank or lending institution as soon as problems arise. No matter how bad you think your finances are, and no matter how attractive it might be to bury your head and throw away letters, remember that lenders will invariably be familiar with cases far worse than your own, and in the current climate will likely be more than enthusiastic to negotiate your repayments or help you out somehow. Nobody wants hassle, so make life easy for yourself.
    • Pursue opportunity. If you're young, you have no debt or personal commitments, and you can't find a job, consider emigrating. Seriously. This might be a great personal opportunity for you.
    • Don't be shy in business. If you have a great idea, get up and sell it to your bank manager, then enter your market. Banks, contrary to some opinion, do have the facility to lend and they are lending. Don't sit at home dreaming. All a bank can say is no. You have nothing to lose by trying.
    • Have confidence - in your community and in local business, and in your opportunities. Consumer and market confidence are what make investors sit up and take note. A country that hides behind the fat shadow of its problems is something that nobody with a ten foot barge pole wants to touch. So deal, wheel and haggle, but if you can, buy.
    • Students - study your Maths and chemistry, go to college, and try to learn something useful. The advantages are purely personal, most employers value a technical degree over one in theology and basket weaving , and incidentally it would be good for the economy to have a larger body of people with the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

5> Those of us with a disposable income – for every 100 Euro spent on alcohol maybe consider a Trocáire box style piggy bank. Try to sacrifice 10% of your “drink” money for the box of your charity.
    How will this help the country? Unless of course you are giving the money to an Irish charity that will spend it on Irish causes.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Set up a business, whether full time or just as a pet project. You might not make any money at it this year, but who knows - you might end up employing a few people next year and making a serious contribution to the economy the following year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

The "buy irish" thing is excellent and something we really really need to do, were not allowed to say it officially in the EU but word should be spread as much as possible.

Note: A lot of "irish" brands arent even made here, e.g. Lyons Tea is packed it the UK.

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Note: A lot of "irish" brands arent even made here, e.g. Lyons Tea is packed it the UK.
    What country do they pay their taxes in though? I know its not as good as them having a manufacturing base here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

later10 wrote: »
    My suggestions would be

• Ignore the Unions and any enthusiasm for strike action in the short to medium term. Nobody can sit this one out, there has to be a sting.
    • Vote for any party you like, but try to take a hard look at how voting for a party pussyfooting around wage restraint and competitive labour pratice will effect employment and economic progress. Ask yourself if this is really the time to vote for such a party mid-crisis.
    • If you are a debtor under stress, don't ignore your financial commitments. Be upfront with your bank or lending institution as soon as problems arise. No matter how bad you think your finances are, and no matter how attractive it might be to bury your head and throw away letters, remember that lenders will invariably be familiar with cases far worse than your own, and in the current climate will likely be more than enthusiastic to negotiate your repayments or help you out somehow. Nobody wants hassle, so make life easy for yourself.
    • Pursue opportunity. If you're young, you have no debt or personal commitments, and you can't find a job, consider emigrating. Seriously. This might be a great personal opportunity for you.
    • Don't be shy in business. If you have a great idea, get up and sell it to your bank manager, then enter your market. Banks, contrary to some opinion, do have the facility to lend and they are lending. Don't sit at home dreaming. All a bank can say is no. You have nothing to lose by trying.
    • Have confidence - in your community and in local business, and in your opportunities. Consumer and market confidence are what make investors sit up and take note. A country that hides behind the fat shadow of its problems is something that nobody with a ten foot barge pole wants to touch. So deal, wheel and haggle, but if you can, buy.
    • Students - study your Maths and chemistry, go to college, and try to learn something useful. The advantages are purely personal, most employers value a technical degree over one in theology and basket weaving , and incidentally it would be good for the economy to have a larger body of people with the former.

I second your point about emigration. It's not the disaster that it's made out to be. In fact, I have known people who have emigrated and it has been the making of them as better people. No matter where you live, people are still people and work is still work. After a few months in the new environment, you would be fairly settled and would miss "home" less and less.

Home is where you make it, not where you're born.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Smiegal

How can we help ourselves practically?

I think we can do the following on my initial thoughts.

1> Buy Irish.
    2> If we see a non Irish competitor doing something right that the Irish company is doing wrong – point it out to them.
    3> Those of us in employment at least consider an Irish holiday this year?
    4> Do as much purchasing from our local communities as possible.

I am sure that these measures might not be applicable to everyone but it’s a start perhaps?

I couldnt care less whether or not a company is Irish or not! I will buy the most competitive product on the market.

My money is my money and Im not going waste it on an uncompeitive company just because they are Irish...

Charity begins at home. Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Anonymous man

zig wrote: »
    dont know what that first reply is about cause they are all decent points, dont really see how the charity one would benefit ireland, unless of course your talking about charities that help irish people (homeless etc)

Sorry should have clarified. Yes I mean like Simon Community and Vincet DePaul who have their hands full right now.

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    I don't really understand that? Many foreigners are Irish Citizens aren't they?

Smiegal wrote: »
    I couldnt care less whether or not a company is Irish or not! I will buy the most competitive product on the market.

My money is my money and Im not going waste it on an uncompeitive company just because they are Irish...

Charity begins at home. Simple.
    But won't the Irish company become competive to you in a mutually beneficial situation if you try to point out they're wrong doings?

E.g. If an Irish hotel has a bad practice that might dissappoint tourists - what is wrong with pointing that out to the Hotel Manager?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 lasnoufle

But won't the Irish company become competive to you in a mutually beneficial situation if you try to point out they're wrong doings?

E.g. If an Irish hotel has a bad practice that might dissappoint tourists - what is wrong with pointing that out to the Hotel Manager?
    However not buying is the best way to point out they're doing wrong, isn't it?

If you're buying and complain, the company gets the money, why should it give a s*** about what you're telling them? (Note this is a rethoric question: in an sensible world, I understand that listening would be good for the long-term profitability of the company, however nowadays everybody seems to focus on short term only, and the general motto seems to be "gimme the money and f*** off")

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Yeah let's buy and sell from each other, that'll surely get us out this disaster :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

as someone else pointed out, charity should begin at home, if the irish economy is not to suffer further.

our government is borrowing something like 700 billion a year to give to foreign charaties in official state aid. voluntary charatiy contributions are extra to that, and its all money leaving our economy, which we have to pay interest on to the EU / IMF.

Some of your other points on how to help the Irish economy are good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

gigino wrote: »
    as someone else pointed out, charity should begin at home, if the irish economy is not to suffer further.

our government is borrowing something like 700 billion a year to give to foreign charaties in official state aid. voluntary charatiy contributions are extra to that, and its all money leaving our economy, which we have to pay interest on to the EU / IMF.

Some of your other points on how to help the Irish economy are good though.

Not quite that much, thankfully ;)

oops, sorry, i'd bet my bottom dollar its in the 500 to 700 million range

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭OMD

Saadyst wrote: »
    Yeah let's buy and sell from each other, that'll surely get us out this disaster :rolleyes:

Way to misread a post:rolleyes:

He meant we buy from each other. We can still sell to everyone.

OMD wrote: »
    Way to misread a post:rolleyes:

He meant we buy from each other. We can still sell to everyone.

And if other countries decided to do the same? Think the larger point is being missed here.

Saadyst wrote: »
    And if other countries decided to do the same?

feck all chinese buy anything from us, and most of the non-food items / hardware / sports goods / toys etc in the shops come directly or indirectly from china

go to france + most of the french buy french cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

gigino wrote: »
    feck all chinese buy anything from us, and most of the non-food items / hardware / sports goods / toys etc in the shops come directly or indirectly from china

go to france + most of the french buy french cars.

Yes there are a lot of goods that come from China.
    Fine.
    We can't beat them at that.
    We can't be good at everything.

But why do we see potatoes from Israel in Irish Tesco stores?
    Because we've become uncompetetive.

There are many many things that we should be trouncing other countries with but we just don't bother.
    We need to play to our strengths.

Whether that's agricutural or wind/water energy or whatever else we're good at. Do it, do it well and other countries will buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

amacachi wrote: »

Assuming you are not trolling, you had better explain this ignorant comment. Not all foreigners are a drain on social welfare. There are many who want to get out there and work, better themselves personally, and contribute to the tax system.

If you are trolling, STFU or GTFO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

mathie wrote: »
    Fine.

There are many many things that we should be trouncing other countries with but we just don't bother.

Whether that's agricutural or wind/water energy or whatever else we're good at. Do it, do it well and other countries will buy it.

But Tesco aren't an Irish company, they're British. What incentive do they have to buy Irish potatoes, when they're not Irish themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

But Tesco aren't an Irish company, they're British. What incentive do they have to buy Irish potatoes, when they're not Irish themselves?

They should buy Irish because we're the cheapest.
    Not because we're Irish.

Why on earth is it cheaper (and it obviously is if Tesco are buying) to pay the price that Israel are charging and to ship them over than to produce them in Ireland?

I think the overall point is being missed in this thread, aside from mathie's post.

People would have no problem "buying Irish", if the product or service met their requirements. However, the fact that people need to be prompted to "buy Irish", (as if this is some sort of quality the product has) indicates that there is a problem with the Irish brand.

Basically, what I'm saying is, Irish produce / services should be more competitive, rather than rely on "patriotism" or "charity" to get ahead. If you support them with your money because they are "Irish", then you support failing business models. You can't support them forever. They need to adapt to survive, and the faster they do so, the better it will be for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Eh... Ireland produced a big potato surplus last season and exported shiploads to Russia
    http://www.potatobusiness.com/index.php?view=article&catid=1:latest-news&id=347:europeans-turn-to-ireland-for-potatoes

Are these some sort of special niche market Israeli spuds you refer to?

recedite wrote: »
    Are these some sort of special niche market Israeli spuds you refer to?
    Maybe they were sweet potatoes, I know Tesco sells Israeli sweet potatoes.

It amazes me whenever I go in to Lidl that not only is nearly everything imported there, but all of the staff there are foreigners ? from the security guy to the eastern european women on the checkouts ? How many hundreds of millions did western union transfer to Poland one year - I remember reading about it and I was amazed.
    I suppose its a bit like the Irish sending money home from England in the fifties + sixties.

Guys, I just want to step in and remind everybody racism is not allowed on this website, let alone forum. There's a couple of posts that are skirting close to but not going over the line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Fine.

About the potatoes: At some point irish people decided they wanted new potatoes in the middle of winter (despite them being soapy and horrible) instead of just from may to september, so therefore the supermarkets started to import them as new potatoes dont keep, and they cant be grown in ireland in winter.

Advertisement