Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl/Aldi brands v names brands

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Weird the way nowhere sells risotto rice, though.

Roma Risotto rice, Tesco and others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Ah, thanks; I usually go for Italian carnaroli or arborio rice from Magill's or Little Italy. Roma's risotto rice doesn't produce a really creamy risotto.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Ah, thanks; I usually go for Italian carnaroli or arborio rice from Magill's or Little Italy. Roma's risotto rice doesn't produce a really creamy risotto.

Lidl had risotto rice last week in. Their premium range ,it was flavored , the pack I picked up was risotto with asparagus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Lidl do risotto rice in blue boxes every so often as an Italian foods special, I stock up when it's on. Failing that, tesco own brand arborio.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Does anyone find the apples from Aldi strange?

I bought a tray of six apples the other day (in a cardboard tray, covered in plastic) and when I got home and opened them, I noticed they felt kinda oily?

I washed them all thoroughly but there was still some kind of coating on them.

They taste alright, but what's this film that's on them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

fussyonion wrote: »
    Does anyone find the apples from Aldi strange?

I bought a tray of six apples the other day (in a cardboard tray, covered in plastic) and when I got home and opened them, I noticed they felt kinda oily?

I washed them all thoroughly but there was still some kind of coating on them.

They taste alright, but what's this film that's on them?

They're just waxed. Give them a good rub with a paper towel and they're fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Money asside I actually prefer doing my shopping in lidl, there stuff is just better. They have good stock of fruit & veg and they are always very quick at the checkout. We make most things from scratch so don't really get much of the prepared stuff, which I agree can be hit & miss. I do find I have to go to m&s and tesco the odd time for a few things.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭penzo

irishguy wrote: »
    and they are always very quick at the checkout.

I would think the complete opposite, the queues in lidl and aldi are one of the only things that turn me off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

i agree there's always massive queues in both Usually only 1 max 2 tills open But old people leave me off ahead of them if i only have one or two things. That's never happened in centra or supervalu XD (people being nice)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

The queues can be long, but they usually move really fast and store policy in Aldi (can't comment on Lidl) is that as soon as there's more than one person queuing past the end of the conveyor belt, they'll ring for another till operator.

I find it's people who aren't familiar with the "pack your bags at the counter" concept who tend to cause the hold-ups, but, again, my local Aldi in Tullow was quite good for asking them not to pack at the till. Actually, the till operators there were also very good for calling people who only have a handful of items up to the top of the queue too.

Tend to shop in the one in Fonthill mostly now, as it's so close to work, and I don't think I've ever either been called to the top by the operator, or told to go on ahead by the person in front of me. Nothing more annoying than standing there with your one bottle of wine while the person ahead of you unloads their week's shopping.

Mind you, maybe they just know better in that store, because on three separate occasions there I've been stung by letting people go ahead of me, who then threw their few items on to the belt and swanned off to continue shopping!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I love John west tuna light lunch but its €3.70 per pack. Tried the Lidl Nixe tuna lunch today it's gorgeous and only €1.90 a pack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Just got the mc graths tea in aldi. Think it is the first time in years I havnt bought Lyons tea and it is lovely, maybe even nicer than Lyons! Not sure what the price comparison is though, I was rushing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Just got the mc graths tea in aldi. Think it is the first time in years I havnt bought Lyons tea and it is lovely, maybe even nicer than Lyons! Not sure what the price comparison is though, I was rushing.

I agree - McGraths tea is lovely. And think their green label is every bit as good as Lyons.

Think it's €1.69 for 80 but if I'm wrong, someone can correct me.
    I like it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Aldi beans are lovely, I think 49c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Theyve started doing a new range of salad dressings in LIDL, Meadow Fresh is the brand. Ive only tried the honey mustard so far but its nicer than the Hellmans honey mustard (which I also got in LIDL!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Theyve started doing a new range of salad dressings in LIDL, Meadow Fresh is the brand. Ive only tried the honey mustard so far but its nicer than the Hellmans honey mustard (which I also got in LIDL!)

They have lovely 'specially selected' dressings also in Aldi - the italian dressing is nom nom :)

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Best things in Aldi for me:

De-Caf teabags
    Wholewheat pasta
    Meats cooked/raw
    Laundry liquid tabs
    Shower gel
    Linseed cereal topper
    Fruit & Veg
    Condiments
    Chopped Tomatoes

So pretty much everything I need
    Not a fan their Olive Oil, or a lot a lot the wine there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Has anyone tried Aldi coffee?
    I drink Carte Noire (€9 a jar in Tesco when it's not on offer) and I love it, but if anyone has found a really nice coffee from Aldi, I'll happily switch.
    A definite no to their coffees - tried both aldi & lidl & neither have a coffee that I wud switch to

1966 wrote: »
    A definite no to their coffees - tried both aldi & lidl & neither have a coffee that I wud switch to

Yeah, I think you may be right.

I've tried a few different ones now-and my parents tried some too-and there's none that taste nice, in my opinion.

Oh well, I do most of my shopping in Aldi so I don't mind buying the Carte Noire in Tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Lidl's arabica bean coffee proves nice with my guests- v kenco apparently- I don't drink coffee

Just had to let you know..

I was in Aldi yesterday looking for a women's razor but they didn't have any. Instead I picked up a man's one-it looked very much like a Gillette, with three blades. It was €3.49.
    Got home, tried it out and wow, it was amazing.

I've used Wilkinson's Sword, Gillette and Venus razors before but I've never gotten such a close smooth shave as the Aldi one.
    Really nice to use too-glided on a dream and left my legs and underarms feeling so soft.

Nicely surprised and the price is amazing.
    So long brand name razors!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Just had to let you know..

I was in Aldi yesterday looking for a women's razor but they didn't have any. Instead I picked up a man's one-it looked very much like a Gillette, with three blades. It was €3.49.
    Got home, tried it out and wow, it was amazing.

I've used Wilkinson's Sword, Gillette and Venus razors before but I've never gotten such a close smooth shave as the Aldi one.
    Really nice to use too-glided on a dream and left my legs and underarms feeling so soft.

Nicely surprised and the price is amazing.
    So long brand name razors!

The Lidl 4-blade Shark razors are good too. I've been using them for a long time, much cheaper than Gillette. I still keep the Gillette handle as it's so easy to get Gillette refills in a pinch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

snubbleste wrote: »
    Lidl are introducing a new entry-level range in the UK. This is similar to Aldi's everyday essentials range.
    Has anyone seen Lidl's Simply in store?
    http://www.thegrocer.co.uk/companies/discounters/lidl/lidl-trials-budget-line-under-simply-name/237058.article
    Finally saw some Simply toilet roll in Lidl.
    It looks like they are introducing this value range to Irish stores

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dunnes cournelscourt had a range of Waitrose soups, not sure if they have other waitrose stuff. Dunno why this is not more common, i.e. stocking stuff from supermarkets not established here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

rubadub wrote: »
    Dunnes cournelscourt had a range of Waitrose soups, not sure if they have other waitrose stuff. Dunno why this is not more common, i.e. stocking stuff from supermarkets not established here.

Waitrose bought into Dunnes - that's why their products are being stocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Faith wrote: »

Some of their stuff is lovely too so is a good thing :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

FanadMan wrote: »
    Some of their stuff is lovely too so is a good thing :)

My one regret about moving back to Ireland from the UK is that I no longer have a Waitrose 200 metres from my house :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

Faith wrote: »

have you anything to back this up with? when? why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

gowley wrote: »
    have you anything to back this up with? when? why?

It's not a secret. http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/uk-retailer-waitrose-to-strengthen-dunnes-link-26859017.html

Advertisement