Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl/Aldi brands v names brands

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

A while back I was praising Aldi's McGrath's Teabags but now I have to change my mind.

I used to always drink Lyons, then switched to McGrath's and have been drinking them for months now.

But at the back of my mind I was aware that they didn't really make a good strong cup, no matter how long I left the teabag in.
    Today I was given a box of Lyons teabags by a neighbour who only drinks Barry's.

Had two cups of Lyons' and by God, the difference.
    Don't know if my tongue's been numbed by the Aldi tea or what, but I enjoyed the Lyons' tea much more and I'm afraid I'm going to have to switch back!

Sorry Aldi, it was nice while it lasted but me loves me tea!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

fussyonion wrote: »
    A while back I was praising Aldi's McGrath's Teabags but now I have to change my mind.

I used to always drink Lyons, then switched to McGrath's and have been drinking them for months now.

But at the back of my mind I was aware that they didn't really make a good strong cup, no matter how long I left the teabag in.
    Today I was given a box of Lyons teabags by a neighbour who only drinks Barry's.

Had two cups of Lyons' and by God, the difference.
    Don't know if my tongue's been numbed by the Aldi tea or what, but I enjoyed the Lyons' tea much more and I'm afraid I'm going to have to switch back!

Sorry Aldi, it was nice while it lasted but me loves me tea!

Try Fallons tea bags from Lidl. They're excellent! :)

Try Fallons tea bags from Lidl. They're excellent! :)

Fallons? And Aldi sell them?
    I'm willing to give them a go, once they can make a nice strong cup! ;)

LMAO sorry totally misread..You said Lidl...Duh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Fallon's Gold Blend are the daddy

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Aldi's Corale Baked Beans taste great, I think they taste way better than Heinz or Bachelors.

• Advertisement

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Aldi's Corale Baked Beans taste great, I think they taste way better than Heinz or Bachelors.

Now see I tried those cos I thought they'd be lovely but I found them a bit sweet?
    I might try them again and give them another chance, but I'm not really a huge beans eater anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Aldi must have changed the supplier of their packaged minced beef because in the past I used to buy it and it was lovely and lean, but lately it's been stringy and worm-like. Hency why I switched to butcher mince.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but... one of the distinctive features of horse meat is that it's a far leaner than beef.

Just a thought like. :(

I'm not really a huge beans eater anyway.
    I'm not either but sometimes the body needs some beans on toast and a big pot of tea - simple but effective comfort food when you're feeling a little hungover :).

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but... one of the distinctive features of horse meat is that it's a far leaner than beef.

Just a thought like. :(

You're probably right but I won't want to eat horse meat and because I like minced beef, I am looking for the leanest variety, for personal preference but also for health reasons-have to watch the fat content.

I also think that fattier mince is probably much tastier, but I can't go down that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Aldi popcorn is really nice. Also biscuits in lidl are super cheap and way nicer.

• Advertisement

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Aldi popcorn is really nice. Also biscuits in lidl are super cheap and way nicer.

+1 for the popcorn. Not a popcorn fan myself but the OH is and used to only eat Manhattan, but he's converted now.

I was in Aldi today and was thrilled to see they're selling Boil in the Bag rice.
    That was one thing I used to always have to get in Tesco and it pained me because it's quite expensive.

Haven't tried Aldi's one yet, but it was only 99c for 4 bags AND each bag serves two, as opposed to the Uncle Ben's Boil in the Bag which is one bag per person.
    I'll report back at the weekend with my verdict as I'll be doing a curry (which I'll also put up as a pic in the Cooking Club too)

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Get Real

sorry if it's alraedy been mentioned, but i swear by DEL RIVO orange juice at Aldi. The packaging and all is very similar to Tropicana. And it's not from concentrate, it's ingredients are just squeezed oranges. E1.45 for a litre bottle vs 2-3 euro for a litre of branded orange juice.

Also, goodfellas pizzas are anywhere from E3-7, (7 for a meag loaded one) and aldi have pizzas that taste imo much much better for E1.50!! Same size, same calorie, salt content etc. Much much cheaper and no worse for you.

And now weissebeer springs to mind too. A good german beer, Paulaner, retails in eurospar for E2.09 for 500ml. Aldi have 500ml of the same type of beer for 1.45. Cant remember the brand name, but its high quality and regarded as a "premium" beer in Germany as I saw it alot while in Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭marko_polo1234

I used to work in mushroom production and I found that the mushrooms sold in supermarkets more less all come from the same producers! In other words lidl mushrooms are the exact same as M&S mushrooms but are only packaged differently to suit the supermarkets brands.

Get Real wrote: »
    sorry if it's alraedy been mentioned, but i swear by DEL RIVO orange juice at Aldi. The packaging and all is very similar to Tropicana. And it's not from concentrate, it's ingredients are just squeezed oranges. E1.45 for a litre bottle vs 2-3 euro for a litre of branded orange juice.

Also, goodfellas pizzas are anywhere from E3-7, (7 for a meag loaded one) and aldi have pizzas that taste imo much much better for E1.50!! Same size, same calorie, salt content etc. Much much cheaper and no worse for you.

And now weissebeer springs to mind too. A good german beer, Paulaner, retails in eurospar for E2.09 for 500ml. Aldi have 500ml of the same type of beer for 1.45. Cant remember the brand name, but its high quality and regarded as a "premium" beer in Germany as I saw it alot while in Berlin.

Yep agree, lovely juice.
    I've also tried Aldi's pizzas and they're delicious, especially their chilled ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

I think some things are better in lidl than aldi and visa versa I prefer the lidl canned tuna. I think its d tasiest out of any shops Dont get the centra own brand- it's horrific I'm not fussy I'll eat anything but I couldnt eat that Aldi have better selection of sliced cheese gouda, masdam, etc and pizza (nicer too) Cheap youghurt for 49c in alidi hits the spot Prefer the cheap cocopops for 1.99 in lidl Better value too for a 500g pack. 29c for a can of baked beans in lidl- v nice Can't go wrong for a euro for a kg of frozen peas in aldi or a 100g bar of chocolate for 69c Wraps are good in aldi Tried the cheapest jar of tomato sauce in aldi- wasnt great Aldi have a nice selection of salads too And lidl has a bakery Own brand ice creams are really nice in both Speaking of ice cream the cadbury buttons cones are amazing, 5 for 3 euro :O So each shop has something a bit different/ going for it :D

Some things that I forget, recently bought a pack of ramero peppers in lidl. They're expensive for 1.89 for 2 but it's worth it. Sweet and can chop them in cool shapes. Got them in aldi too, not as sweet but still nice. Guess there is some variation. I like the fishfingers in both, I think lidl sometimes have them on offer, 2 for 2.50 Usually 1.5 or 2 each Prefer the noodles in lidl for 20c And the fair trade orange juice in lidl is the best. About 1.49 for a litre and its sometimes on offer for a euro .... I think it's in aldi where they have fair trade sugar, v cheap too under a euro something like 85 or 75c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

as opposed to the Uncle Ben's Boil in the Bag which is one bag per person.
    I'll report back at the weekend with my verdict as I'll be doing a curry (which I'll also put up as a pic in the Cooking Club too)

Eh, uncle bens is actually one 125g bag for 2 people unless you get the single serving one.

What weight is the aldi bag? Do report back, is it only white rice?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mickser42

Been shopping in mostly Aldi and sometimes Lidl since they came here and mostly the quality is excellent.
    I find Aldi has improved a lot over the last couple of years and use a lot of irish products.
    one thing I think is not great are the packets of sauce mix like curry parsley pepper always think they lack a bit of flavour and much the same for casserole mixes etc....

other than that its brill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Find Aldi very good for some products.

But I recently bought The Northern Rock Frozen CHUNKY Battered Cod. Looked great on the box. Turn out to be pieces of batter with the skimpiest white "fish" inside. Truly awful. Ended up in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I find Lidl washing-up liquid very good. But the laundry powder didn't cut the mustard IMO. I went back to Daz for that.

Love the yogurts in both shops, I'm not a cheese eater but I hear the cheeses are equally comparable to branded ones, also LOVE their little gingerbready cakey things at Christmas!

I bought the McEnnedy cinnamon and raisin bagels once. Never again. Tough, dry and cardboard like.

Eh, uncle bens is actually one 125g bag for 2 people unless you get the single serving one.

What weight is the aldi bag? Do report back, is it only white rice?

Yes the Aldi boil in the bags are 125g.
    The Uncle Ben's boil in the bags are 62.5g.
    This is the Uncle Ben's I normally buy:

https://unclebens.co.uk/assets/images/products/rice/boil-in-the-bag/T1396-UB-BIB-Long-grain23B44.png

So one bag of Aldi's will serve 2. 99c for a box of 4.
    Didn't see any brown rice.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Lidl boil in the bag rice 8x125g for €1.95/kg has been around for a long time, marginally cheaper than Aldi :cool:
    It's cheaper to get the big bag of rice at €1.19/kg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

snubbleste wrote: »
    Lidl are introducing a new entry-level range in the UK. This is similar to Aldi's everyday essentials range.
    Has anyone seen Lidl's Simply in store http://www.thegrocer.co.uk/companies/discounters/lidl/lidl-trials-budget-line-under-simply-name/237058.article
    Has anyone seen these in Lidl Ireland?

Here is a list of some of the Irish companies that supply Lidl and Aldi

Aldi

Over 45% of all grocery sales at Aldi are generated on products bought from Irish suppliers, producers and manufacturers.
    Bewleys / Robert Roberts – all coffees and teas
    Natures Isle – fresh poultry, Irish Angus beef, pork, lamb, all sourced from RoI farms and Bord Bia certified.
    Irish Yogurts / Town of Monaghan Co-op / the Different Dairy Company – yogurts
    Odlums – flour

Lidl

Lidl say they are “committed to using as many indigenous suppliers as possible in the production of its own brand products.”
    Pat the Baker - granary bread and scones
    Johnston Mooney & O Brien - hot dog rolls and burger buns
    Olhausen – Premium pork sausages
    Irish Yogurts (Clonakilty) – Premium yogurts
    Town of Monaghan – Irish creamery butter
    Liffey Meats (Cavan) – fresh beef
    Cooley Distillery – whiskey
    Oakpark Foods (Tipperary) – Glensallagh streaky bacon
    Donegal Creameries – 1 litre milk carton
    Seerys (Carlow)– triple chocolate cake and luxury lemon cake
    Glenpatrick – Flavoured water
    Begleys (Dublin) – fresh fruit and veg
    The Scullery – relish (small supplier, relishes developed with Lidl)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Here is a list of some of the Irish companies that supply Lidl and Aldi

Aldi

Over 45% of all grocery sales at Aldi are generated on products bought from Irish suppliers, producers and manufacturers.
    Bewleys / Robert Roberts – all coffees and teas
    Natures Isle – fresh poultry, Irish Angus beef, pork, lamb, all sourced from RoI farms and Bord Bia certified.
    Irish Yogurts / Town of Monaghan Co-op / the Different Dairy Company – yogurts
    Odlums – flour

Aldi use way more Irish suppliers than that. All their bread is Irish (can't think of the name of the bakery off the top of my head, think it might be Spicers).
    Crisps/popcorn etc. - Largo foods (also make Hunky Dory & Tayto)
    Fruit & veg - Donnelly's
    Soft drinks - Gleesons

There are a good few more, just can't think of them at the moment.

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Aldi use way more Irish suppliers than that. All their bread is Irish (can't think of the name of the bakery off the top of my head, think it might be Spicers).
    Crisps/popcorn etc. - Largo foods (also make Hunky Dory & Tayto)
    Fruit & veg - Donnelly's
    Soft drinks - Gleesons

There are a good few more, just can't think of them at the moment.
    That's correct, I've only provided the ones that I'm aware of but there are plenty more.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Lidl boil in the bag rice 8x125g for €1.95/kg has been around for a long time, marginally cheaper than Aldi :cool:
    It's cheaper to get the big bag of rice at €1.19/kg

It's always been cheaper to buy the bigger packs and just boil the rice the traditional way in a pot of water, but I hate doing rice that way and have always used boil-in-the-bag, so I'm happy to spend a little bit more for the convenience.

Has anyone tried Aldi coffee?
    I drink Carte Noire (€9 a jar in Tesco when it's not on offer) and I love it, but if anyone has found a really nice coffee from Aldi, I'll happily switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Yes the Aldi boil in the bags are 125g.
    The Uncle Ben's boil in the bags are 62.5g.
    This is the Uncle Ben's I normally buy:

https://unclebens.co.uk/assets/images/products/rice/boil-in-the-bag/T1396-UB-BIB-Long-grain23B44.png

So one bag of Aldi's will serve 2. 99c for a box of 4.
    Didn't see any brown rice.

Oh yeah, thats the single serving Uncle Bens. We use the bigger ones, but to be honest, we need 1.5 bags for two of us!

Thats cool, must check out the Aldi rice.

Oh yeah, thats the single serving Uncle Bens. We use the bigger ones, but to be honest, we need 1.5 bags for two of us!

Thats cool, must check out the Aldi rice.

I know most people would reckon the 62g bags of rice are too small for one person but I can't eat a lot of rice or pasta; I get full too quickly and I'm used to eating a small portion.
    Anyway,will give you my verdict on the rice tomorrow :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Weird the way nowhere sells risotto rice, though.

Advertisement