Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honest advice wanted from real animal lovers

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭james098

The grass isnt always greener on the other sides. dont give up on your dogs, trust me you will feel very lonely if you. do my wife would be the dog lover of our relationship, and yes we also have had this issue in the past. but to be honest I fell in love with her cause she is who she is therefore accept her ways, I see it as a quality rather than a hinderance and Im sure deep down also does your OH. we had a French Mastiff that we had to rehome as we had to move to house in the town my wife still misses him and sheds a tear from time to time, we live back in countryside again but its too late now. the people who have him are very kind and loving to him as I am friends on FB with them but my wife cant even look at there page as it breaks her heart if she does :( just please take this into account and dont make any hasty decissions kk

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

Discodog wrote: »
    The OP has just reminded me why I am single. You both got the dogs & presumably agreed as to how you wanted to keep them. Has something changed ?. Does your partner agree with the way that you relate to the dogs ?. Does he relate in the same way ?.

Too much responsibility ?. Is he being serious ?. If so then why did he agree to get them ?. It really sounds as if he fancied the idea of dogs but is now happy to get rid, providing nothing bad happens. I hope that he doesn't get the same idea with children. You both made a long term commitment that may of meant something to you but clearly didn't to him. Yes you may of over spoilt them but only in the sense of not getting them used to being left & kennelled once in a while. But it is perfectly understandable.

I find your comments that "he absolutely adores them" & "thinks it too much responsibility" as incompatible. Yes there are ways that you could try & compromise but is that going to work if he really no longer wants the dogs ?. Is he always going to think of what he could be doing or what he could of done if you & your dogs had not stopped him.

I once looked on a dating site, out of pure curiosity ;), for animal lovers as I think that it's a very good idea. You wont be surprised that there were no members in Ireland. I could only live with a woman who related to dogs as I do - especially with three of them in a small house !. She would have to be happy ( & not a pretend to put up with type of happy) for me to have dogs on my lap, two walks every day & goodnight kisses.

After all if I could treat the dogs this well then she is never going to be short of affection. Now form a orderly queue girls :D.

Wow, you should really meet my sister. Match made in heaven!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭memomy

Sounds like a very similar situation that both my partner and I have. We have one dog ( Maltese ) who is completely and utterly spoiled. She is a really great dog and as much as I was not usually a big fan of small dogs I will admit she is too cute for her own good.

As you have mentioned, We too loved to go away for weekends at the spur of the moment and loved the freedom we had. There was a drastic decline once we got our dog. And it has been an issue that we have raised a lot ourselves as in the 5 years we have been together as we have never had the opportunity to have a "proper" holiday abroad. This is mainly due to the fact that my partner would never leave our dog in a kennel which leaves us with only one other option, My Parents. They have been great in the past & have always been willing to look after her but we feel guilty with having to always ask them to mind her & so try to limit this as much as possible.

Do look into options of Dog Friendly Hotels. Some of which have kennels on site or even allow you to bring your dog into your room etc. Other options would be to rent accommodation which allows dogs and bring them with you. Instead of using our dog as an excuse for not being able to get away anymore we have resorted to just bringing her with us and it works out brilliantly.

It certainly is a sacrifice and can be quite frustrating for me at times if we want to stay over in a friend’s house etc etc but its a sacrifice we are willing to put up with as she is a little bundle of madness & the house wouldn’t be the same without them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I don't mean this to sound in any way harsh but if I am to be perfectly honest OP it sounds to me like you have already made your decision and you are looking for posts to validate that decision.

I'm wondering if you had such a busy life with weekends away and nights out why did you get two dogs in the first instance?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Jelly2 wrote: »
    Wow, you should really meet my sister. Match made in heaven!

It could be a match made in heaven for me but maybe not for your poor sister :D. But I will treat your comment as a compliment so thank you.

Now can the "rescue ladies" resist making a comment ?.;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement