Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 kids, 1 bike

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    So the next time I make love to a beautiful woman, would you recommend I follow it up with pillow talk where I compare the experience to riding a cargo bike?

Why wait for pillow talk? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Why wait for pillow talk? :)

Do you think it'd make a good chat-up line, or are you suggesting saying something during the act? That might make it more like off-road cargo-biking!

"And the trike has unseated its rider!" :D
    Just don't make any reference to your load.

"You're very beautiful, but I'm not sure you have sufficient capacity for my needs."?

You're probably right.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

What would be appropriate a Range Rover? a BMW X5? a Bradley Tank?

what a f**king moronic reply,of course not i cannot afford one.say your tootling down the road with a big heavy cargo bike with your two kids in it and you loose control???a childs body is alot more fragile than an adults and getting thrown out of one of these bikes is not going to be nice and possibly fatal.They were originally designed for cargo hence the name and adapted by idiots to transport children.This forum is a joke ive just got slated for expressing my views on CHILD SAFETY cop the f*uck on FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

Great thread! :)

How about one of these dublin taxi style designs (if you can buy them that is)...

3934014001_8fcd00ac8a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31,034 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

what a f**king moronic reply,of course not i cannot afford one.say your tootling down the road with a big heavy cargo bike with your two kids in it and you loose control???a childs body is alot more fragile than an adults and getting thrown out of one of these bikes is not going to be nice and possibly fatal.They were originally designed for cargo hence the name and adapted by idiots to transport children.This forum is a joke ive just got slated for expressing my views on CHILD SAFETY cop the f*uck on FFS

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I know some of the replies to your point were a bit sarky, but you might be over-reacting a little.

On the subject of cargo bikes going out of control, the two most discussed here are more stable than a normal bike. The Christiania is a tricycle, so it's really quite hard to overturn. In the bikes under discussion here, children are strapped in with Y-straps, or with modified car seats, so they wouldn't be thrown from the cargo bike.

I've been cycling two-wheeled bikes as a commuter for about twenty five years, and I've never lost control in the manner you describe.

Besides, cargo bikes are used in Denmark and the Netherlands very extensively and have no reputation for posing dangers to anyone, children or otherwise.

If there is a threat to your children in a cargo bike, it's from motorised traffic colliding with you. But they'd be safer than children on a bike seat or a trailer by quite a margin in that scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

If you can't operate and maintain a bicycle correctly then maybe you shouldn't carry children on one. This is a school run we're talking about, not a descent from the Sally Gap.

Cargo bikes are specifically designed for carrying loads low down which would not greatly affect stability, unlike a child seat on a regular bike. You can also attached seatbelts. And I presume any decent metal fabricator could attach a roll bar if you planned on taking it off any sweet jumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

What about helmets?
    why did you not mention helmets?
    Do you not think you should put helmets on the childrens noggins to protect them from the hitting of the head on the doobie doobie dual carrageway when your drunk and crashing the cargo bike into the quarry wall full of bombs and priests...
    .[Embedded Image Removed]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

That Savage Eye is surprisingly good. Really nailed how ghoulish Joe Duffy's show can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Thats great but how does it make your feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 thntp

Hi, I personally have tried tricycle and two wheel cargo bikes.

Two wheeler vs three
    My preference would be the two wheeler because more maneuverable. I found the tricycle a bit tricky to maneuver esp going up the designated kerb on to the cycle lane. No problem on the two wheeler cargo bike. Three wheeler is heavier too.

Two wheeler cargo vs trailer. I like the idea the box sits in front of the cyclist so the children could be observed while cycling. easier to chat to them while cycling too. Trailer feels less insecure. However it is substantially cheaper. The two wheeler cargo bike has rain tent and so is the trailer. Both protect children from the rain.

I have been looking around for used box bike on the net for almost a year because the new ones are quite dear. Alas I gave in and bought a new one from this place http://www.bear-bicycles.com/2-bike-shop. its located close to portobello and you could try it there. I ordered mine recently and arrived just last week.The rain tent comes extra.

Keep up the great discussion

Advertisement