Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 kids, 1 bike

Options
  • 19-01-2011 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of bringing my 2 kids to school by bike. Can you help me with some advice?

The kids are 4 and 8. My first idea is to put one on the back carrier in a child seat and the younger one on the crossbar on one of those mini saddles.

Is this a good idea? Is it better to use a bike trailer like this:
    BurleyDlite1.jpg

or even a bike like this
    KangarooActionPhoto%20550p.jpg

or else
    markbbbike.jpg

or
    3.jpg and
    bike-seat.jpg

or
    P01.m4n?t=m&id=10163

Is it safe to have two kids on a bike from a balance point of view? There's a lot of traffic and the 8yr old isn't skilled enough yet to ride on the road separately.

I would love to know if any of you have 1st hand experience of this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,034 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Depends on budget. If money were no object I'd get a cargo bike or this.

I think 4 y/o is way too old for a crossbar seat, and I also think they're hateful things.

I have cycled on the road with a 4/5 year old on his own bike, although it was in controlled conditions. The main problem is speed - he could only maintain about 12kph and junctions can be dodgy at that speed.

I'd say your best option is a trailer bike and rear seat, but I don't know how stable that's doing to be and you'd need to be sure that they don't interfere with each other.

I assume there are no off-road cycle paths.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lumen wrote: »
    I think 4 y/o is way too old for a crossbar seat, and I also think they're hateful things.

Yeah, they get much easier when they're a bit older ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

My dad used to have an old Triumph 20 shopper. I used to sit on the carrier on the front facing backwards and my brother used to sit on the back carrier. Happy days. We'd probably have been quicker walking. We were probably about 6 or 7 as well so not exactly light loads. That was the 70s though. Try telling that to the kids now...................zzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I've used a trailer for the past couple of years and they are FAN bleeding tastic yokes. But, if you have a standard 8 year old then he/she will be too big for it really. My two are 5 and 6 and they're very close to outgrowing it. After that I don't know what I'll do.

The second pic you have there of the kangaroo bike with the kids in the front - same problem. Your 8 year old is too old. Plus, it's impossible to get your hands on one of those kangaroos, and they cost something like 3500 sterling, iirc, cos I thought about getting one.

If your cycle isn't that far, then your best bet imo is let the 8 year old cycle himself - he's well old enough now for a mile or mile and a half cycle, and take the younger kid in a trailer.

You can get tandem tag-alongs - i.e. the half bike that santa claus has his kids on in your third pic, but afaik they are for 6 years and older, so it's not going to suit your 4 year old.

My kids are out-growing my trailer as I said and I think what I'm going to do is let the older girl cycle (she's nearly 7 and is well able as long as I'm with her) and keep using the trailer for the younger girl.

btw, I've got a decent Raleigh trailer that I don't use any more. Been used about 10 times in a year or so, attaches to rear stays.

Not pushing a sale, just saying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

slideshow_0.JPG
    triple bike.

Some of these configurations look dangerous
    I think that fat bloke's idea that I should get the 8 yr old on his own bike makes most sense. I could put him on the footpath beside until he's more sure of himself.

The other child can sit on the back carrier but in a proper seat. I've heard bad things about crossbar seats and he's probably too big for it in any case.

I think the kids are going to enjoy this.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Piercemeear

Not really trying to affect your decision one way or the other, but tagging around the backroads of Kildare on my dad's Raleigh's crossbar seat is one of my earliest, happiest memories. My fat fists wedged between the handles and the stem. Summer sun and sticky roads and and a shared can of fizzy orange and cooling our feet in the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Surly Big Dummy
    2864545846_847d02741b.jpg

DSCF0249-1.jpg&t=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Have to laugh at the name of this Thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

If you need to take their grandparent to mass you can.
    Picture+4.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭fat bloke

One thing to bear in mind is that the beauty of the trailer is that the child stays dry! So when I take my two, I wear full cycling regalia and it doesn't matter what the elements do, the children are dry and relatively warm. I tried a rear mounted seat for a bit but my daughter hated it, didn't like the wind in her face, certainly didn't like rain etc, AND it's a lot of weight to have on the back of the bike, and you can't get off the bike and lean it against a fence or a post etc etc.

Lets say your 8 year old has a little wobble on the bike and you put your foot down and reach out to him, that's not easy to do while keeping your own bike upright and steady.

I would highly recommend a trailer to be honest. The cost isn't much more than a good quality child seat, and they're much more versatile. - They even have a little boot into which you can put coats and school bags and stuff.

My biggest regret was that I hummed and hawed about getting one until my youngest was about 3 and a half. I should have got one years before. They are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

We've a Christiania trike that we bought from Velorution and had shipped over on a pallet.
    Here it is when it arrived (almost two years ago):

attachment.php?attachmentid=72931&d=1234791411

Here it is full of shopping:

attachment.php?attachmentid=89079&d=1251304308

And with kids (cycling with Lance ;) ):

3875613410_4936fbce86.jpg

The kids are 4.5 and 2.5. It will last them a while yet.

In fact if you get the straight boxed version you could have two teenagers in it (facing each other) ;)

Have a look at the xtracyclegallery for some other ideas on carrying kids, such as:

4867586172_84b49df38f.jpg

and

4847607353_6d6168eb7c.jpg

I've an xtracycle myself (great things), but haven't tried it with two kids (yet).

The Christiania is the best bike I've ever bought!

Regards,

DFD.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I've seen a few kids in cargo bikes in the last year. A Christiania a few times (not DFD's), a Nihola in Rathmines and a two-wheeler Long John-like one on Ailesbury Road this afternoon.

I really like the look of them. The Christiania most of all. Best of all, I think I can convince my family that it's safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

timingchainloose.jpg

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I've seen a few kids in cargo bikes in the last year. A Christiania a few times (not DFD's), a Nihola in Rathmines and a two-wheeler Long John-like one on Ailesbury Road this afternoon.

I really like the look of them. The Christiania most of all. Best of all, I think I can convince my family that it's safe.

We met the other Christiania owners for a trial run before they bought theirs. Happy to oblige anyone else in Dublin (within reason).

I tried the Nihola in Toronto and it's a lovely machine, but very different ('box' doesn't turn) and not as big a box (trust me it's easy to fill once you get used to having the space).

I like the Long John's (though really can't justify it ;) ) but chose the trike for the perceived stability, very useful in slow traffic.

DFD.

These type of threads always make me happy.

If the Surly Big Dummy, or Xtracycle retrofit appeals to anyone, make sure you also have a look at the Yuba Mundo (a cheaper/ simpler/ robustly built) bike.

Practical Cycles in the UK stock them: http://www.practicalcycles.com/userimages/procart17.htm

DFD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I like the Xtracycle from what I've read of it. It is very versatile but I think to get the most out of it you really need a suitable bike to start with such as the Surly Big Dummy so the initial costs build up fast. Some of the DIY alterations include this double child seat (though obviously for younger kids than yours):

xtracyclewithkidseats-300x199.jpg

and this tale of adding handlebars to the rack for older kids - the rack itself can take 200lbs in weight apparently:

kidsonxtracycle3.jpg

We have a (single) child trailer which we have been very happy with it but again based on age your kids are probably already close to the limits of many trailers. We looked at front mounted child seats too but they wouldn't work with any of our bikes as the ones we investigated required a sufficiently long head tube to clamp to which probably requires either a very large frame or a sit-up-and-beg style frame neither of which we have - something to bear in mind if you do go down that route yourself.

One thing that we have found very useful on our bikes, with the trailer though probably equally as useful with a mounted childseat, is a kickstand. We bought ones which mount to the rear chain and seat stay and they've worked out very well. We bought our trailer and kickstands from Cloughjordan Cycle Coop (now known as Velo the bicycle shop) who were very helpful as they had a lot of experience of transporting kids by bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I'd say the big dummy/xtracycles/yuba mondo is the way to go. For a laugh last summer I converted my old mountain bike (using half another bike) into a sort of home-made frankenbike-cargo bike. And I was very happy with it despite how terrifying it was because I bolted it together myself (I dismantled it when going back to college for space, it didn't explode in case anyone is wondering).
    I'm not suggesting you entrust your kids' lives to a home-made cargo bike but that format is very stable and very comfortable and I was happily able to carry up to two fully grown passengers significant distances so you should be able to manage two kids no bother (exposure to the elements might be a bit of an issue though).
    I certainly plan on rebuilding my cargo bike/purchasing a proper one whenever I get the time and space.

doozerie wrote: »
    I like the Xtracycle from what I've read of it. It is very versatile but I think to get the most out of it you really need a suitable bike to start with such as the Surly Big Dummy <snip>....

For clarity, the Surly Big Dummy is a frame/ bike with the Xtracycle LongTail built into the actual frame, rather than bolted on separately. I'd love a Big Dummy, but I think retrofitting the LongTail works very well to. As exemplified by the xtracycle gallery.
    I'd say the big dummy/xtracycles/yuba mondo is the way to go.

The usefulness of a 'long bike' will outlast transporting the kids too!

DFD.

• Advertisement

4847607353_6d6168eb7c.jpg

That's pretty cool. Or hot. Or something.

Can you really transport a skinny woman on the back of one? There doesn't seem to be much tyre drop at all.

And the dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭RoubX

Surly Big Dummy

Wow! I presume this is a shutter speed thing, but how fast is she going with young kids not strapped in? My lads are about the same age as these, and the youngest would have lept off the bike ages ago, or climbed on my head, or be in the process of smacking the head off his brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

RoubX wrote: »
    Wow! I presume this is a shutter speed thing, but how fast is she going with young kids not strapped in? My lads are about the same age as these, and the youngest would have lept off the bike ages ago, or climbed on my head, or be in the process of smacking the head off his brother.

maybe she used superglue?

RoubX wrote: »

Falling asleep would be bad.

On the other hand, I once saw a TV documentary about Mongolian nomads in which there was a toddler on machete duty. I can't remember what he was responsible for hacking at, but he looked pretty competent.

Point is, young children are more capable than we give them credit for. You'd want a few spares though, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Lumen wrote:
    Can you really transport a skinny woman on the back of one?

According to their FAQ you can even carry a not so skinny woman on the back. In the worst case you may have to dismantle her to distribute the load though, which may cause disharmony in the relationship:
    How much can I carry?
    The combined weight of the rider and the load is not to exceed 350 lbs (160kg)! Each FreeLoader can safely carry 50 lbs (23kg); the SnapDeck, in front of axle, is rated to carry up to 200 lbs (90kg); the SnapDeck, behind the axle, is rated to carry up to 50 lbs(23kg); each WideLoader, 60 lbs (27kg). The FreeRadical is guaranteed to reliably and safely carry 200 lbs (90kg) of cargo load! Note that other factors impacting load capacity include the strength of your bicycle frame and existing wheels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Surly Big Dummy

Personally I'd rather a system where my child didn't have to hold onto my jocks to stay on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Personally I'd rather a system where my child didn't have to hold onto my jocks to stay on the bike.
    That's funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭RoubX

Ha, Ha, now you mention it, it looks like a chain of pain. I can see why Mum wants to get somewhere quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Piercemeear

1995_la_baule_005.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I am sure you replaced the dogs with kids? No?

bikejoring.jpg

Advertisement