Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building My Arcade Machine log

Options
12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

haha i know id say easily a year and half ago I started haha..

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

NIce one keith the T-Moulding makes this, Well Done!!!
    CP is very slick...

I hooked up the led lights i bought to the power supply in the pc tonight, they hook up to the floppy drive power cable. you cant really see them lighting in the photo, but they are bright. I put the marquee on too. toying with the idea of putting a switch on it too so i can turn off the light when i want, at the minute it comes on with the pc.

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Looks great..Well worth the wait.
    Lovely design,woodwork and colour scheme.
    Why did you go with LCD instead of CRT though.
    That gaping hole is waiting for a fat CRT to be inserted

Cheers, I dunno i had an LCD there.. originally i was unsure if a crt work with what i wanted i wanted in it, ie i have a jukebox there that needs to run at least at 800x600 i wasnt sure if crt would work with that? anyways, i didnt really have the money for one either, they look expensive, and also all this talk of how dangerous they are put me off them too. haha..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

Great job on the cab! Turned out real nice! I can see how much work went into it so far. Now you have what I always found the hardest part...the bezel. Are you going with glass or plastic for screen. Tinting it I presume ?

For the CRT, they usually display in 640x480 so your probably better off with LCD. Plus they "pop" very easy when moving/banging around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

nacimroc wrote: »
    For the CRT, they usually display in 640x480 so your probably better off with LCD

:confused:

Great job on the cab! Turned out real nice! I can see how much work went into it so far. Now you have what I always found the hardest part...the bezel. Are you going with glass or plastic for screen. Tinting it I presume ?

Yeh, ive been trying to figure out the best way to do this. I have some plexi here at the minute so im going to cut that to size first just to get the measurments right. Im thinking of getting some glass made up then based on this plexi template then spraying the glass black after masking off the screen in the middle.

Im a bit worried though about whether or not the paint will be smooth when i flip the glass over? anyone done this before?

EnterNow wrote: »
    :confused:

I reckon LCD was better for 800x600 upwards as CRT's have lower resolutions.

The tint I reckon is a must have. Takes glare away and hides any rough edges etc. I asked about glass before and the quoted about 45 quid for toughened tinted glass.

I bought two big pieces of black card paper there at lunch, im going to cut a template out of plexi the weekend then cut out same in the black card. if i can avoid spray painting the glass i will .

Tinted glass, with the black paper behind it, sandwiched with the plexi behind that might work.

• Advertisement

I reckon LCD was better for 800x600 upwards as CRT's have lower resolutions

Go & use a 29" Candy with a tri-sync & you'll re-evaluate your opinion ;)

I used the plexi and black card today to make a screen, ill decide if i want glass down the road, its seems grand to me like this anyways. plus i hooked in my two USB led lights i bought off ebay and stuck them to the back of the coin inserts on the coin door so they light up!

1.jpg

Looks a million times better, really finishes it off. Nice one

EnterNow wrote: »
    Looks a million times better, really finishes it off. Nice one

Cheers, it actually feels better to play because you cant see the screen, i know that sounds a bit stupid but its true! haha..

keithgeo wrote: »
    Cheers, it actually feels better to play because you cant see the screen, i know that sounds a bit stupid but its true! haha..

No I know what you mean, it feels more authentic & like the real thing. It probably felt like a 6ft tall pc joypad up to now :)

Im having some trouble with one of my joysticks on the cab. say if i push right, it doesnt always come back up straight into the middle, so for example if im playing street fighter the guy keeps walking to the right, its really annoying.

to fix this do i just tighten the spring in the joystick by stretching it longer? then putting it back together? id like to tighten it somehow so its springs back more easily.

Yes. I found on some of the sticks such as sanwa ones this happens and the sticks can be lifted and rattle about easy too. Stretch the spring and a little light grease around the pivot points will help as there may be some dust in there.

Careful you don't loose the surclip taking it off as it will go flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Yeah..I've got the same problem a few times with JLFS
    taking it apart and putting back together usually sorts it as the pivot is out of line
    Stretching spring adds more tension but if you do this it will only last a wee while.
    Get another few springs as well for replacements.In my experience the Sanwa JLF ones last about a year.

Ohh you can add an ls32 spring,ls52(i think)or another jlf spring to original spring to increase tension even more.mix and match to see what ya like

cheers lads, i opened it up today, the spring isnt very springy at all, so i got one down the hardware shop. its thicker wire and longer, i need to cut it in half as its too long though. it was the only one they had that would fit in, width wise. im also going to put some oil\grease in there and i think it was sticking.

Advertisement