Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building My Arcade Machine log

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Looks very nice dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

keithgeo wrote: »
    try to superglue it to the side, but one wrong move and the art thing will be ruined.
    Woodglue works a treat
    Looks excellent BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Looks fab, Nice Job

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Woodglue works a treat
    Looks excellent BTW

Ive glued the bottom part of the Tmolding into the slot made by the router, its just the top part isnt flush to the wood in two places (like the top of the T), i was thinking of glueing that to the wood. but i could mark the artwork if i dont get the glue in that slot cleanly. I dont want it spreading everywhere if i have to wipe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

You could use "Impact adhesive" (little tube). Squeeze it in between them and push them together to get it on both sides.Wipe edges clean and hold parts apart as it takes about 5 mins to dry. Wait until they are dry then push together. It will give a clean glue free edge and you won't ever get it apart again. Its great stuff. Its contact cement which is used to hold laminate to wood so its perfect.

• Advertisement

cheers, ill look into getting that, can you get that in B&Q etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

cheers, ill look into getting that, can you get that in B&Q etc?

Yep any hardware place would have it, avoid the can & brush one as its well messy..
    Regarding the tmolding fitting, if you warm them with a heat gun or hairdryer they should be much more manageable.

cool, its more the channel cut by the router was too wide so it wouldnt stay in without being glued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

cool, its more the channel cut by the router was too wide so it wouldnt stay in without being glued.

Could you thicken up the part of the molding that sits into the groove maybe? A few layers of proper tape cut correctly might just give it enough purchase to hold tight once hammered in, & would save the big risk with the glue...

EnterNow wrote: »
    Could you thicken up the part of the molding that sits into the groove maybe? A few layers of proper tape cut correctly might just give it enough purchase to hold tight once hammered in, & would save the big risk with the glue...

F*ck. You know what, i never thought of that, thats a great idea.:cool:

• Advertisement

Or you could also thicken up the groove with something like a small strip of silicon...if its too difficult to get the tape to stick to the molding. Like yourself I'd be worried about ruining the artwork, because once glue gets on that its going to destroy it. And you know yourself with glue, its impossible stuff to be careful with & usually ends up all over stuff.

Yeh, i mean, to do that now, i would have to pull off the TMolding thats on there. I think i will leave the control panel as it is. id be afraid id wreck it and like you say glue goes everywhere.

I know for a fact that on the Side panels of the cab itself that im going to run into this problem again there. I think i will do these parts as you suggest above.

If you havent done the side panels yet use a hot glue gun. Do about 1 foot at a time as it goes hard quick and beat home hard with a rubber mallet. It won't matter how wide the slot is if theres hot glue there to hold it in place so you shouldn't run into the same problem again.

Cool, Hot glue and Gun, B&Q have them? How much are we talking? and possible stupid question, do i have to heat the glue or is that just what its called?? :o

B&Q should have them. I got mine in lidl. I squeezed it into the slot them hammer home t-molding. It goes hard after a few seconds so be careful. squeeze it into the slot for about 1 foot then beat home the t-molding about 3 or 4 inches past that, then do this the whole length. Hot glue gun below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL-7P4b-oW4

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

nacimroc wrote: »
    B&Q should have them. I got mine in lidl. I squeezed it into the slot them hammer home t-molding. It goes hard after a few seconds so be careful. squeeze it into the slot for about 1 foot then beat home the t-molding about 3 or 4 inches past that, then do this the whole length. Hot glue gun below.

Must, resist, childish jokes! :pac:

ok that looks perfect, ill pick up one of these. thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Cool, Hot glue and Gun, B&Q have them? How much are we talking? and possible stupid question, do i have to heat the glue or is that just what its called?? :o
    I got mine in mcquillans for about €10-15

Quick question, should I put the tmolding on the bottom of my cabinet? Along the bottom of the side panels? I'm leaning toward yes but not sure.

Quick question, should I put the tmolding on the bottom of my cabinet? Along the bottom of the side panels? I'm leaning toward yes but not sure.

Are you putting it on castors? If not, I'd be wary of having t-moulding on the bottom incase you were ever moving the cab & it snagged on something...

If the bottom will be raised off the ground though in any way, it should be grand

• Advertisement

I will probably lift it off the floor a bit, im thinking those stick on felt things at the least, that wont mark the floor if moving it around. im not putting wheels or anything on it. I just cant make my mind up if i should put the tmolding on them bottom or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

After having two cabs, one with castors and one without, I'd never go without again. It's the difference between having to drag it around the house, with great effort, ruining the floor and gliding it around with your baby finger.

well, before seeing your post, i went ahead and put the T-Molding on, i didnt put any on the bottom. it went on grand except for one part im going to need hot glue for. I cant see myself sliding it around too much to be honest, im going to get some of that stuff you stick on the bottom of things anyways to stop from scrapping the floor. so should be grand.

Heres a pic for those interested..

IMG_9745.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Wow, that t moulding looks great! Love the colour.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Wow, that t moulding looks great! Love the colour.

should match up well with the control panel. I "attempted" to trim the sides of the moulding with a blade after i put it on, it didnt work haha, i also tried that double sided edge trimmer i bought and it didnt work either, it was too jagged for my liking, so i pulled that piece back off and started again, im just going to live with the slight lip over the side, you cant really notice it anyways.

Picked up the Glue Gun in B&Q, 14 euro i think it was and worth every cent. worked perfect, fixed the control panel where the T was slightly away from the mdf and used it on the wide parts on the side panels, worked perfect.

Finally putting this together tomorrow. pc is rebuilt and setup again! Finally got it going. also got the two buttons that wouldnt work on the ipac working by assigning the ipac different keys to them. must have been conflicting with something.. final pics of it in pieces!

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

here it is together finally. Just need to get glass for the front, plexi for the marque in put in the leds i got to light up the marque.

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Keith Chegwin, you've brought tears to my eyes. You started building this cabinet around the time of the battle of the Somme and it's finally at the finishing line.

Well done mate, very well done indeed. :)

Advertisement