Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Owner spends no time with puppy and leaves it alone all day. Is this neglect?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

04072511 wrote: »
    I put up the pictures of it being sad so that people could see the difference between it before and after I played with it (i.e. what the owner should be doing regularly, many times a day).

I am risking damage to my health so I can give the dog as much attention as I can, without completely taking over my own life. I have spent about 4 hours of the last 30 playing with the thing and have let it into the kitchen twice now and have given it some snacks and fresh water. I stayed up til 3am for the dog last night and got woken up by it outside my window going crazy at 7.50 am! There is very little else it seems I can do legally so I dont take kind to your condescending comments!

OP, you're in a very difficult position. Legally you don't own the dog and so cannot remove it and most likely the shelters won't intervene once the animal has food and shelter. The best you can do is speak calmly to the owner and see will he surrender the animal to a local rehoming shelter. Keep your cool, point out the animal is clearly miserable and appeal to his compassion- if he has any. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭tightropetom

To all the haters - the OP is just looking for advice as to what he/she can or can't do. I'm sure they've already contacted the RSPCA. :mad:

As for why they've posted on the Irish boards - perhaps they don't want to get found out by asking around on a Melbourne bulletin board to which the villian in this story is attached.

Just a thought, although I must admit the dog doesn't look too unhealthy or depressed. If I got a picture taken mid-blink, I'd look down and depressed too. And I'm happy as beejaysus :-)

Get on to the RSPCA if you haven't already. They can advise. Failing that, you could always leave the gate open...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

**Vai** wrote: »
    Ok then, just keep typing and whining about it.

The answer we've all given u in one way or another is, yes, its neglect. Do something. Otherwise dont bother posting on a forum about it.

Thats uncalled for and this post was reported.The OP is looking for advice and doesnt need this type of response.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

does he have a dog license(does australia have this?)? if he doesnt maybe you could report the dog and they will take the dog ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Cam home at about 9.45pm from work. The chef was home for a change. I decided I would go try clear the air, not that I wanted to but just for the sake of the dog.

I knocked on his door and went in and he was playing video games with a mate or something like that and the dog was in there wandering around. I asked could I talk to him for a minute and he said (with his disgusting usual smirk on his face) "nah". I said I want to clear the air and he says "not know, I'm busy".

Such a pr1ck.

After I left and closed the door I heard the dog barking so maybe that means it wanted me to come back.

He put the dog out an hour ago while he is still in his room with his mate. He came out through the kitchen saw me there but made no effort to talk to me.

So I have goe out to the dog every 20 minutes or so to try train it to sit by giving it food. It seems to be working, and the thing isnt moaning as much as it seems to know I will be coming back. Still waits at the door though.

Was reading up on Seperation Anxiety for dogs earlier. Its facinating. So much I didnt know about dogs. I found a link that took 20 minutes to read and I can safely say that the chef has done not one of the things suggested on it.

• Advertisement

The answer we've all given u in one way or another is, yes, its neglect. Do something. Otherwise dont bother posting on a forum about it.

A bit uncalled for.

I forgot to metion that I texted the landlord today about it and he wrote back saying

"I actually agree with you that I don't believe he is taking proper care of the dog but I cannot tell someone how to look after their pet, my house or not..."

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Like what? Like f**king what?

The dog is chipped, so if she lets it out, or brings it to the pound, it'll get returned to the chef.

The chef has paid money for the dog, so if the OP sells it, they risk having criminal charges brought against them by the chef.

The OP is an astmatic, and need to use their inhaler after playing with the dog. So they're risking their health playing with the dog.

the_syco wrote: »
    Like what? Like f**king what?

The dog is chipped, so if she lets it out, or brings it to the pound, it'll get returned to the chef.

The chef has paid money for the dog, so if the OP sells it, they risk having criminal charges brought against them by the chef.

The OP is an astmatic, and need to use their inhaler after playing with the dog. So they're risking their health playing with the dog.

This

Just rang the ASPCA and they said there is nothing they can do. They can only go by the legislation that is given by the Australian Government.

They suggested talking to the neighbours to see if I can get a noise complaint going.

Any other ideas? I'm running low on them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

04072511 wrote:
    Just rang the ASPCA and they said there is nothing they can do. They can only go by the legislation that is given by the Australian Government.

They suggested talking to the neighbours to see if I can get a noise complaint going.

Oh really? Who knew.
    You can also contact your neighbours to see if the dog is bothering them. If he is, you can ask them to lodge a complaint with the council. The council will ask them if they've contacted the chef directly, because councils rather people try to resolve matters themselves. If you get the neighbours to press that the chef is unapproachable, they will send the rangers out to discuss the complaint with the chef. A visit from the rangers may persuade the chef that he needs to do better by the dog.

04072511 wrote:
    Any other ideas? I'm running low on them

At the risk of repeating myself - I live about an hour's drive away from you, am involved in animal rescue in Victoria as opposed to 12,000 miles away, and would like to know if you've tried either of the other things I suggested or just wrote them off.
    The other option is you call your local council yourself and ask to speak to the animal control division and discuss it with the rangers. If you tell them you're concerned about the dog being a nuisance with barking and behaviour, and describe the chef's reaction and threats to you, you may be able to give them a heads up about a time and day when he's home where they can call out to speak to him.

The animal control laws down here do make provision against nuisance dogs, e.g. barking, howling, so on. If the beagle's being a nuisance, the rangers can intervene. The RSPCA may not be able to do much given that the dog is not neglected on paper - e.g. has food, water, shelter, so on.

Final option is to join DOL Australia and post this same thread there under General Dog Discussion - http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showforum=6. There are folks on there who may be able to help or offer suggestions because they'll know the law down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

If he leaves the dog alone pretty much all day then this is neglect, does he feed the dog properly also out of curiosity? I would confront the dog owner about it, if he threatens you properly in any way whatsoever inform him that you'll call the police and he should back down, he just sounds like a twat to be honest, although in all honesty i doubt the poor dog would get any better treatment in an animal shelter so if this neglect continues i would suggest finding someone that would look after the dog, if you find someone contact animal rights and tell them about the situation and that you found someone to look after it etc, if not i would say all you can do is leave the poor fella and maybe try give him a little attention yourself when you have time to make it easier on him, he would probably be worse off if he was in an animal shelter after all.

Just wondering what do people think of me doing this:

Last night the dog stayed in the owners room. Knowing full well that he would put the dog out at about 7am this morning I emptied the water from the pot out back to see if he would notice that there was no water and refill it. I assume the chef is at work now for the day and its 9.50am and I have noticed no water in the pot. He didnt refill it. He obviously didnt check to see if he needed water. And it is very hot out! Now this is neglect. If I can do this on maybe 5-6 occasions then this is something I can contact the ASPCA about and nail his ass!!! They said they cant do anything about him forgetting to give water on one or two occasions, it has to be a repeated offence.

Dont worry I will give the dog back his water now while the chef is gone for the day, and will do the same experiment again late tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Just wondering what do people think of me doing this:

Last night the dog stayed in the owners room. Knowing full well that he would put the dog out at about 7am this morning I emptied the water from the pot out back to see if he would notice that there was no water and refill it. I assume the chef is at work now for the day and its 9.50am and I have noticed no water in the pot. He didnt refill it. He obviously didnt check to see if he needed water. And it is very hot out! Now this is neglect. If I can do this on maybe 5-6 occasions then this is something I can contact the ASPCA about and nail his ass!!! They said they cant do anything about him forgetting to give water on one or two occasions, it has to be a repeated offence.

Dont worry I will give the dog back his water now while the chef is gone for the day, and will do the same experiment again late tonight!

Seriously? You don't think that it will be you who will be charged with animal cruelty instead? Maybe he refilled it last night before bed, never thinking for one moment that someone would empty it. Of course he should have checked, but thats not really the point. What if you had to dash off somewhere, if you'd got an emergency phone call or something, the dog would have been left with no water.

ISDW wrote: »
    Seriously? You don't think that it will be you who will be charged with animal cruelty instead? Maybe he refilled it last night before bed, never thinking for one moment that someone would empty it. Of course he should have checked, but thats not really the point. What if you had to dash off somewhere, if you'd got an emergency phone call or something, the dog would have been left with no water.

Fair enough, it was just an idea, and I am seriously running out of them!! Getting him done for not giving water is realisticlly all that can be done to get the dog taken off this gobsh1te!

Fair enough, it was just an idea, and I am seriously running out of them!! Getting him done for not giving water is realisticlly all that can be done to get the dog taken off this gobsh1te!

Getting him done for not giving the dog water is not all that can realistically be done.

I've given you three solutions - involve the council rangers via your neighbours, involve the council rangers yourself by declaring the dog a nuisance, (and keeping a barking dog diary), and telling them the chef is aggressive, and posting on the DOL Australia forums for other responses.

I honesly have no idea why you're utterly ignoring the three options I've given you, which I know through personal experience, dealing with Victorian councils and logging nuisance dog complaints myself, have a chance of working.

Do you have me on ignore so you're actually not seeing the posts? Do you not get that the dog is not neglected on paper, but IS a nuisance dog and there are laws to deal with that?

Call your council on Monday. Speak to the ranger. See what they say. Then come back and ask for more suggestions.

I've given you three solutions - involve the council rangers via your neighbours,

Am going to do this tomorrow. Am going to contact both next door neighbours.
    involve the council rangers yourself by declaring the dog a nuisance, (and keeping a barking dog diary), and telling them the chef is aggressive,

If I lodge a complaint and he knows that it was me it could put myself in physical danger. I need to be careful around him.
    and posting on the DOL Australia forums for other responses.

[/QUOTE]

Too risky. How do I know he doesnt post on the forums, or his mates dont?

Am going to do this tomorrow. Am going to contact both next door neighbours.

Basically you need to speak to someone in the animal control or local laws department (or someone in local laws regarding animal control - I don't know where you live so I don't know who your council are or how they're set up).

It IS something that councils in Victoria take very seriously though. This is lifted directly from the City of Melbourne website:
    Barking dogs

Excessive barking can be annoying for neighbours and the community. Dogs often bark because they are bored, lonely or frustrated due to lack of exercise and mental stimulation.

If you own a dog, ensure your dog has plenty of companionship, exercise and a comfortable place to sleep.

If your dog is barking, try taking it for more regular walks, especially if the dog is confined to a small backyard or is indoors all day. Dogs need social experience too. Obedience training can also help prevent behavioural problems such as excessive barking.

Your neighbours can complain if your dog is often noisy or disturbs the peace unreasonably. Under nuisance laws, the City of Melbourne is responsible for investigating complaints about noise from domestic animals in the community. If your dog constantly barks you may be fined or taken to court where you could be ordered to take action to stop your dog barking.

The council will ask if you can keep a barking dog diary (or if your neighbours can keep one). Basically you track the amount of time the dog spends alone, when he barks, how long he barks for, what he's barking at (e.g. bin lorry, postman, helicopter overhead, so on). The rangers do this because at the most severe end, a nuisance dog case can go to court of law and the owner ordered to do something to stop the barking so they need a diary of evidence.
    If I lodge a complaint and he knows that it was me it could put myself in physical danger. I need to be careful around him.

This is a whole other issue. Personally, I wouldn't house share like this. If you're really worried about him, have a chat with the police. Something else different to Ireland - Australian police take threats of violence and intimidation quite seriously. Did you know that holding your finger up at someone and pointing at them while having a go - that's assault down here. If you make someone feel threatened or fearful, they can make a complaint to the police about your behaviour.

I know your landlord has said he can't tell someone how to look after their animals, but that's a total copout. Once you have the neighbours onside, call the landlord and tell him the neighbours are putting in a complaint to the council about the dog being a nuisance because it barks and howls out in the yard all the time. That may get his attention quicker than leading with 'the guy isn't minding his dog properly'.
    Too risky. How do I know he doesnt post on the forums, or his mates dont?

Don't post pictures of the dog or give any other details like his career. Or just join up and search the forum for other barking dog stories - there are some on there.

The sad thing is though that now it seems like the dog is too disheartened to bark and just whines. The whining may wake me up because he is close to my room but may not wake the neighbours up. I have only heard it bark once in the last week. Before that it barked much more.

I'll talk to the neigbours anyway and see if they have a problem with the dog. Thats a good starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Princess Aries

Hey just wondering if you had any joy with the neighbours? How are things going for the little guy?

Was thinking the barking probs stopped because you were giving him abit more attention than he was used to, the poor thing.. I feel sorry for you too, you are in a total catch 22 situation there.

Hopefully all will be resolved soon,

Keep us all updated tho, am curious to see how everything works out :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Walter11

I do not suggest leaving puppy all alone for the whole day as there may be no clue as to what a puppy can do to oneself when he is all alone. So, if one is not able to take care of a pet then it is always better to give it to someone who really deserve it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Walter11 wrote: »
    I do not suggest leaving puppy all alone for the whole day as there may be no clue as to what a puppy can do to oneself when he is all alone. So, if one is not able to take care of a pet then it is always better to give it to someone who really deserve it.

Please don't drag up old threads for the purpose of adding a pointless post, if you read the thread you will see that the dog does not belong to the OP but an extremely volatile individual they happen to share a house with.

Locking

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement