Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New low, even for DoneDeal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 WalkingDude

she got better little by little and even goes out hunting ocassionally now.

Hunting? Do you go too? If that's the case, it seems a bit rich to question other people's morals .......

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Hunting? Do you go too? If that's the case, it seems a bit rich to question other people's morals .......

I go drag hunting, do you know much about it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 WalkingDude

Fair 'nough

• Registered Users Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Well Donedeal have been approached several times about implementing a Christmas Puppy Ban ie not advertising puppies during the month of December. Many publications in the UK now do this but Donedeal have refused. It would not be difficult to vet animal ads before publication. It's not as if there is any urgency. They could also easily use keyword software to alert them. I have never had the impression that their concern is more than skin deep.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

To those with an interest in the actual topic, I'm sorry that my posts seem to have become the central focus of this thread, so if anyone else has any questions on my morals, ethics or stance on any matter, or needs anything I have posted clarified or elaborated on please PM me and I will be happy to clarify these issues for you and hopefully this thread will get back on track.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Pocketfizz wrote: »
    I just reported it!

That's cruel and disgusting :mad:
    Shanao wrote: »
    "We do not accept horse or pony ads where the horse or pony has been broken or ridden under the age of three. If ads are posted on DoneDeal.ie in breach of this policy we reserve the right to remove them from the Website without giving notice to the advertiser or refunding any fee paid."

Its there alright, if you go into legal, then other animals. Time to start reporting!!

Reporting Ads on dd is a waste of time. team donna will mail you thanking you blah blah but they wont do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I didn't have time to come back to thread until now and I fully agree with what adrenalinjunkie has written, and yes, I reported the ad before even opening the thread here or posting about it on FB.

so if anyone else has any questions on my morals, ethics or stance on any matter, or needs anything I have posted clarified or elaborated on please PM me and I will be happy to clarify these issues for you and hopefully this thread will get back on track.

I'm fighting the temptation - especially with the morals :D

Reporting Ads on dd is a waste of time. team donna will mail you thanking you blah blah but they wont do anything about it.

That is my impression as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

sligopark wrote: »
    Just frigging awful and the OP - what a sham - if karma is alive and well DoneDeal will slide into the toilet - soon.

In fairness it's not donedeal, it's who advertises there, from looking at other sites like gumtree and buy and sell they do seem to be a bit better and they (most of the time) remove or edit ads that are reported. So it's the bad breeders and seller who deserve the bad karma.
    Shanao wrote: »
    "We do not accept horse or pony ads where the horse or pony has been broken or ridden under the age of three. If ads are posted on DoneDeal.ie in breach of this policy we reserve the right to remove them from the Website without giving notice to the advertiser or refunding any fee paid."

Its there alright, if you go into legal, then other animals. Time to start reporting!!

Thank you, must have missed that, will report it now so.
    Discodog wrote: »
    Well Donedeal have been approached several times about implementing a Christmas Puppy Ban ie not advertising puppies during the month of December. Many publications in the UK now do this but Donedeal have refused. It would not be difficult to vet animal ads before publication. It's not as if there is any urgency. They could also easily use keyword software to alert them. I have never had the impression that their concern is more than skin deep.

As far as I know they do have a keyword software sort of thing. I noticed a hell of a lot less pups being advertised as christmas presents compared to last year, the ones I did notice were using some derivative of it such as pressy. There is a group on facebook about donedeal's animal section, I think they got a reply once about their software being improved to include more keywords to catch out people who advertise dogs for digging out foxes or badger baiting, so that they included terms like 'red' and 'b & w'.

A christmas ban on advertising pups would be a good idea I think, if you look now there's loads of 12 week old pups being sold on for 'genuine reasons' that would have been about 8 weeks old at christmas, lots of older dogs too that have no doubt been replaced by pups. :(

• Advertisement

Sometimes I feel like that but other times they are brilliant (maybe a better word would be best there but Im tired). Id estimate that Iv reported at least over a 100 ads in the dog section alone, if the ad is in clear violation of rules (like 'this pup would make the world's best christmas present') it is removed usually within 24 hours. If the ad is not quite breaking the rules but it's clear that the dog is being sold for the wrong reason or being kept in horrid conditions it usually takes a whole bunch of people to get on board and bombard them with reports (which I think is what happened recently with a boxer being sold pictured in horrid conditions and in pup :mad:) then they remove it. And if you find someone who is clearly a puppy farmer with multiple ads and breeds they usually remove and block the person.

Sometimes they do make you want to punch your monitor when you've reported something and they send you a reply that 'if you feel these dogs are being mistreated please ring the national cruelty helpline'. :mad:

Why should we have to do their work for them ?.

Very true. I have often wondered that myself but I will continue to report ads until such a time as they start pre-screening to the point that noone will no longer need to report ads.

On a happier note did anyone see that ad for 2 dogs for €10,000,000, think it may have been a typo! :D

I'm fighting the temptation - especially with the morals :D

Fire away, . . . unless . . .

maybe try a dating site if your looking for a suitable OH to argue with :p:p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ok Im responding here before I decide what to do with this thread as per our new procedure in dealing with reported posts.

This thread was going fine until Devilles first post.

However the regulars feeding trolls by responding to them is making things worse.

Why can people not just report the post and leave it at that.Get on with the discussion and a mod will deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

You don't have to, don't report the ads, and just leave them there, I imagine people report the posts because they feel passionately about it, and would like to make a difference? Why report posts on here, why report concerns you have about animals to the ISPCA? There are no laws being broken by the adverts, so they don't have to do anything about it, but usually they do. Have you or any other posters ever reported an ad on gumtree or buy and sell, or that other one, oxl or whatever its called? Would love to know how they deal with complaints.

Is this not a bit like a school, if you have parents who care about their children's education, the school soon realise that, and if your child does anything wrong, they will get onto you. But usually the kids that are behaving the worst have parents who don't seem to care if they get a phone call or letter from the school, so the school soon stop, and just concentrate on the parents they know they have some impact on. Is Done Deal not like that? (was going to use DD, but then thought we might start getting confused with a regular poster:D) People complain about it, but its because if you report an ad, theres usually some sort of response.

ISDW wrote: »
    You don't have to, don't report the ads, and just leave them there,

I am not suggesting that people do not report them - I have reported ads & had quite a few discussions with them. Any publisher is responsible for content. Donedeal are a profit making business. It is a simple matter of how much of their profit they are willing to forgo to vet adverts & that depends on how important they view the issue.

As well as reporting the ads I would hope that people would express their displeasure to DD. Those that put profit ahead of animal welfare can only do so if they have a means to advertise their wares. If breaking a horse too early is cruel then facilitating it's sale is encouraging the cruelty.

I am not suggesting that people do not report them - I have reported ads & had quite a few discussions with them. Any publisher is responsible for content. Donedeal are a profit making business. It is a simple matter of how much of their profit they are willing to forgo to vet adverts & that depends on how important they view the issue.

As well as reporting the ads I would hope that people would express their displeasure to DD. Those that put profit ahead of animal welfare can only do so if they have a means to advertise their wares. If breaking a horse too early is cruel then facilitating it's sale is encouraging the cruelty.

Have you ever reported ads to the other sites? Or to other publications?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Reply from donedeal - ad removed.

Have you ever reported ads to the other sites? Or to other publications?

Yes. When I was in the UK I arranged a meeting with the publisher of, what was then, the largest free ads paper & persuaded them to drop Christmas puppy ads. They used it as a PR opportunity & as a result many papers followed their lead. I also keep lobbying my local papers here but in reality I do not have time to scan loads of publications.

I will continue to lobby DD because they are the biggest & are in the best position to do something positive.

• Advertisement

Fire away, . . . unless . . .

maybe try a dating site if your looking for a suitable OH to argue with :p:p

There is enough arguing in the World without bringing it home - I enjoy a tranquil life :). Bit risky this internet dating lark. After all I thought that you were a man - I'd hate to make the opposite mistake with a date :eek:.

Yes. When I was in the UK I arranged a meeting with the publisher of, what was then, the largest free ads paper & persuaded them to drop Christmas puppy ads. They used it as a PR opportunity & as a result many papers followed their lead. I also keep lobbying my local papers here but in reality I do not have time to scan loads of publications.

I will continue to lobby DD because they are the biggest & are in the best position to do something positive.

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I meant here in Ireland, the other big ones, gumtree and buy and sell.

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I meant here in Ireland, the other big ones, gumtree and buy and sell.

Buy & sell yes, Gumtree not yet. But both would argue that if it's OK for DD then it's OK for them. You have to get the biggest to agree first then others may follow. I also focussed on DD because they claim to care. Yet with the Christmas Puppy ban they implied that they would only consider it if other publishers did the same. In other words they would follow but not take the lead.

I actually think that proper vetting of ads & a clear animal welfare policy would improve sales. How often do we have people posting here warning about DD. It would be great positive PR for them.

Buy & sell yes, Gumtree not yet. But both would argue that if it's OK for DD then it's OK for them. You have to get the biggest to agree first then others may follow. I also focussed on DD because they claim to care. Yet with the Christmas Puppy ban they implied that they would only consider it if other publishers did the same. In other words they would follow but not take the lead.

I actually think that proper vetting of ads & a clear animal welfare policy would improve sales. How often do we have people posting here warning about DD. It would be great positive PR for them.

You can't say what they would argue, unless you now also have mind reading powers?:eek::P

Unfortunately I think you have a higher opinion of 'the national mood' than I do. People that post on forums (fora?) such as this care about animals, they are a big part of their lives, but to most people it wouldn't affect them one way or the other I don't think.

I have reported quite a few ads and all but one got eventually removed. However, they are getting 3 Euro per ad and look at the amount of new ads they have every day. It is no skin off their nose to remove a reported ad as they have already been paid.

If they policed it the other way around (i.e. disallow them in advance via flagging certain words etc) - they wouldn't get paid.

I think they are well aware of what's going on and don't give a fiddler's as long as they get their 3 yoyos.

I was asked to join as rescue and declined.

You can't say what they would argue, unless you now also have mind reading powers?:eek::P

Unfortunately I think you have a higher opinion of 'the national mood' than I do. People that post on forums (fora?) such as this care about animals, they are a big part of their lives, but to most people it wouldn't affect them one way or the other I don't think.

I don't have mind reading powers but I do have several emails from DD & that is certainly what they imply. They want evidence that other websites & publications have banned Christmas Puppy ads before they consider it.

I definitely do not have a higher opinion of the national mood than you. In fact I probably have an even worse opinion & I am often criticised on Boards for denigrating the Irish public especially for their unwillingness to insist on better animal welfare.

EGAR wrote: »
    I was asked to join as rescue and declined.

Careful you won't get rich with principles like that. ;)

Careful you won't get rich with principles like that. ;)

Simple self-preservation, I get enough calls ala *How much for the hound, Missus?* already :D. NOT good for my blood pressure!

EGAR wrote: »
    Simple self-preservation, I get enough calls ala *How much for the hound, Missus?* already :D. NOT good for my blood pressure!

So disrespectful !. They should at least call you "Boss" :D

I know! I'd like to be called *Boss man* :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

Advertisement