Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would we be better off under British rule?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭baldbear

LondonDerry:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Mod this thread can be locked now,I believe the Question has been answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Get ta fcuk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Dean09 wrote: »
    Now before I get absolutely slaughtered for starting this thread, let me just state that in no way am I a loyalist or anything like that and I am extremely proud of our history as a nation. I'm very proud of the way our forefathers stood up for what they believed in and I'm humbled by their bravery and commitment and the sacrifices many have made for this country. This is just purely a hypothetical question.
    Would we be better off under British rule? Would we be better off economically/socially? What if a united Ireland meant being part of the United Kingdom? What differences would there be in society today? Do you think this country would be a better or worse place to live today?

Again its just a hypothetical question and not my own beliefs/wishes. Just thinkin out loud here! :)

Why is the question always about whether we'd be better off under British rule? What about being under the rule of another country? Would we be better off under Nazi rule or Chinese rule or Russian rule?
    We'd hardly be all millionaires now if Westminster called the shots once again. Like the people of Yorkshire or Northumberland or Lancashire are all living in the lap of luxury and we're all starving in Ireland.
    What exactly would be better? Cheaper vindaloos? Better selection of cider at the off-license?

Pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

their getting out of it,The Tax payers of Britain even gave us a nice sum of money to bail us out.

Was it a gift or a loan?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sean_crawford

oh yah. evidently, every british colony was better off...just look at africa for example. economies are thriving and many people living good lives as a result of british imperialism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I think most people wouldn't give a shit about being in some sort of a union, so long as England was left out.;)

Personally, going back in a union with Britain... No op, just no on so many levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

benwavner wrote: »
    I would not live under British rule...

...and I would gladly die opposing it!!

:rolleyes: You're life must really suck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Says the poster from Carlow... ;)

The Original poster of this thread has had his Question answered by myself & I feel thread can be locked.

If not set up a poll & you can get an out and out answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Yes, I do think we should sell our economy country for some precious, prescious, precious money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

irish-stew wrote: »
    They can hardly afford NI, the whole Island would bust them altogether.

We kind of are already owned by them with the 7-8 billion loan they gave us.

You mean 3 >? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

The Original poster of this thread has had his Question answered by myself & I feel thread can be locked.

If not set up a poll & you can get an out and out answer.

I didnt direct the question at you alone. It was a question open to everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

How about you help him with life and he helps you with English? ;)

You're = you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Dionysus wrote: »

You're = you are.

Clever clogs, read the charter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭GizAGoOfYerGee

It's threads like these that remind me how insecure Irish people are about their identity and country.

Places like Basque Country and Catalonia would do anything to be independent states, and here's us moaning that we'd be better of back with Britain. It is truly sad :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Nice username, very obviously an oxymoron!

I will not rise to troll bait.^^^

In short. I feel we are better off under our own rule, I agree that the UK benefits us economically, but I doubt we would benefit by being under their rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Dionysus wrote: »

You're = you are.

http://www.nastyhobbit.org/data/media/13/grammar-nazi.jpg

Dean09 wrote: »
    I didnt direct the question at you alone. It was a question open to everyone

O.k,but could you maybe make a poll then to put this Question to bed.

Yes would be my Answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

That went better then expected.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement