Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would we be better off under British rule?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I think we were better off alright, if we had of just got rid of the mad stuff like not allowing Irish to own land and if we were allowed to be elected ect, I think it would be a lot better.

You think that this country full of hard working, decent, and above all, proud Irish men and women should be Governed by a shower of stuck up, toffee nosed fcuk wits from across the water?

I hope you don't stand up for the Irish national anthem Ted?

Tut tut, I'm disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Gucky wrote: »
    You think that this country full of hard working, decent, and above all, proud Irish men and women should be Governed by a shower of stuck up, toffee nosed fcuk wits from across the water?

I hope you don't stand up for the Irish national anthem Ted?

Tut tut, I'm disappointed.
    I don't mean like the way it was. We should be like Scotland!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

They are just as ****ed as we are.

Not even close. It'll be a rough few years in the UK as opposed to the decades ahead for the Republic.
    TheZohan wrote: »
    I take it you've never driven up the North?

The roads are better in the North as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

I think we were better off alright, if we had of just got rid of the mad stuff like not allowing Irish to own land and if we were allowed to be elected ect, I think it would be a lot better.

exactly England has moved on from the early 1900's we would not be controlled by the monarch but would be controlled from Westminster!,I read a comment early saying going under british rule would be a step back,But surely we've been prevented from stepping in any direction but back @ present ajai chopra & the E.U control us,what do we have in common with the The majority of Europeans with the exception of Britain!even they said no to the euro!

If we were on our own as the British Isles as an economic & cultural identity wouldnt we be better off?,yes we would.

we speak the same language we look the same we are the same.

Are you a Fine Gaeler?

Bertie has the Answer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 bertie has the answer

exactly England has moved on from the early 1900's we would not be controlled by the monarch but would be controlled from Westminster!,I read a comment early saying going under british rule would be a step back,But surely we've been prevented from stepping in any direction but back @ present ajai chopra & the E.U control us,what do we have in common with the The majority of Europeans with the exception of Britain!even they said no to the euro!

If we were on our own as the British Isles as an economic & cultural identity wouldnt we not be better we speak the same language we look the same we are the same.

This sounds like west brit blueshirt stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Is the TV license fee higher or lower in Britain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

If we were on our own as the British Isles as an economic & cultural identity wouldnt we not be better we speak the same language we look the same we are the same.

Wrong.

Were Irish. Not British.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Rhamiel

Naikon wrote: »
    Yes. I am ashamed to say as an irishman, that we are incapable of self autonomy. This is evidenced by the fact we borrowed 80,000,000,000 from the IMF not too long ago. At least we would have better roads and healthcare under British rule.

A couple years of an over-rated recession and we all go crying back to the brits yeah?
    We all aren't starving and dying like its the second coming of the famine.
    Recession or no recession we would have borrowed that money over the next few years anyway to keep our over inflated economy happy.
    We just got the money in the form of an ever so embarrassing E.U. loan with a better interest rate and a dose of cop on to ourselves so why cant we just get on with things now taaaaa feck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

To answer the OP in one word.

NO!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 bertie has the answer

Wrong.

Were Irish. Not British.

Hes probably a Fine Gaeler, they love Britain and the monarchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

If we were on our own as the British Isles as an economic & cultural identity wouldnt we be better off?,yes we would.

we speak the same language we look the same we are the same.

Trolling again, are we?

Wrong.

Were Irish. Not British.

Were Irish. Are Irish. Always will be Irish. We're Irish. ;)

Wrong.

Were Irish. Not British.

right okay,here's something to work out...

How many people are unemployed?
    How many will/have emigrated to dominions of England,Countries such as Australia/New Zealand & countries like Canada?

now ill give you an answer to this question,How many people with Irish Citizenship,born in Ireland/Living in Ireland have been let down by our own elected government?.....4million.

Colmo52 wrote: »
    To answer the OP in one word.

NO!

that's 8 words.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

No!,Your not a Loyalist!,& No your not going to get slaughtered for starting this thread.

It's fact without the U.K Our economy would be zilch,We need the U.K/Britain we do most of our business with them & they keep money in our pockets,Our agriculture industry is controlled by Britain.

We don't do most of our business with them, although we do more business with them than any other single country. They do not control our agriculture even a tiny bit - the EU as a whole has a massive amount of power there.

What is likely if we were still part of the UK is that we would be probably the poorest, peripheral region of the UK, like Ireland was when it was part of the UK. Right now, the average Irish employee earns 685 euro per week, the average British employee earns 454 pounds (541 euro) per week - quite a big difference, and taxes are lower here then there.

If you have a sensible argument for why British rule would have been good for Ireland, please explain, because British rule was very bad for Ireland pre-independence, and despite the recession, most people in Ireland (i.e, those that have a job) are doing fine.

Naikon wrote: »
    Yes. I am ashamed to say as an irishman, that we are incapable of self autonomy. This is evidenced by the fact we borrowed 80,000,000,000 from the IMF not too long ago. At least we would have better roads and healthcare under British rule.

And I suppose you'd also contend that Britain should have surrendered its sovereignty to another country when it was forced to call in the IMF to bail it out in 1976, because its political leaders failed it?

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    Right now, the average Irish employee earns 685 euro per week, the average British employee earns 454 pounds (541 euro) per week - quite a big difference, and taxes are lower here then there.

Does this paragraph not provide an insight into why Ireland is ****ed today? Wages may be higher, but percentage-wise, unemployment is also higher.

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    We don't do most of our business with them, although we do more business with them than any other single country. They do not control our agriculture even a tiny bit - the EU as a whole has a massive amount of power there.

What is likely if we were still part of the UK is that we would be probably the poorest, peripheral region of the UK, like Ireland was when it was part of the UK. Right now, the average Irish employee earns 685 euro per week, the average British employee earns 454 pounds (541 euro) per week - quite a big difference, and taxes are lower here then there.

If you have a sensible argument for why British rule would have been good for Ireland, please explain, because British rule was very bad for Ireland pre-independence, and despite the recession, most people in Ireland (i.e, those that have a job) are doing fine.
    685 euro per week, the average British employee earns 454 pounds (541 euro) per week - quite a big difference, and taxes are lower here then there.

Now my sensible argument to what you just said,is the cost of living is cheaper in England hence the differ in earnings.

pre-independence Ireland is pre 1921.....pre 1921 Europe who as you corrected me on who control most of our agriculture industry,Pre 1921 Europe was pretty much no more than an geographic label for the countries in the this mass of land,relations in the E.u were zilch they were @ each others throats no need to take a step back to pre1921 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

Dean09 wrote: »
    Now before I get absolutely slaughtered for starting this thread, let me just state that in no way am I a loyalist or anything like that and I am extremely proud of our history as a nation. I'm very proud of the way our forefathers stood up for what they believed in and I'm humbled by their bravery and commitment and the sacrifices many have made for this country. This is just purely a hypothetical question.
    Would we be better off under British rule? Would we be better off economically/socially? What if a united Ireland meant being part of the United Kingdom? What differences would there be in society today? Do you think this country would be a better or worse place to live today?

Again its just a hypothetical question and not my own beliefs/wishes. Just thinkin out loud here! :)

I havent read the whole thread but my answer to that is no we fcuking wouldnt :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

We just did this a few weeks ago.

Will let it run for a short while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭james098

UK isnt doing any better than us its just they been in the sh*t that bit longer therefore are gettin used to it ;)

james098 wrote: »
    UK isnt doing any better than us its just they been in the sh*t that bit longer therefore are gettin used to it ;)

their getting out of it,The Tax payers of Britain even gave us a nice sum of money to bail us out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Most amused at the vehement opposition to our throwing out lot in with Britain, especially those who say they would happily die preventing it (No you wouldn’t, stop being silly!). Much the same folk will persist with the daft notion that the unionists can be persuaded to throw their lot in with us. :pac:

james098 wrote: »

Ireland unemployment: 14.1%
    UK unemployment: 7.7%

Wake up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

NO just NO

Dean09 wrote: »
    Now before I get absolutely slaughtered for starting this thread, let me just state that in no way am I a loyalist or anything like that and I am extremely proud of our history as a nation. I'm very proud of the way our forefathers stood up for what they believed in and I'm humbled by their bravery and commitment and the sacrifices many have made for this country. This is just purely a hypothetical question.
    Would we be better off under British rule? Would we be better off economically/socially? What if a united Ireland meant being part of the United Kingdom? What differences would there be in society today? Do you think this country would be a better or worse place to live today?

Again its just a hypothetical question and not my own beliefs/wishes. Just thinkin out loud here! :)

Yes, it was such great fun the first time - all we need now is a return to the craic of Mullaghmast, Drogheda, wholesale ethnic cleansing and dispossession, an apartheid system of Penal Laws, gallows trees, Skibereean and the Black and Tans to get the Irish people back on their feet. Sure when it worked so seamlessly the first time, why wouldn't the Irish want to be back in such halcyon days?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'm fairly sure this has been brought up here before, more than once. No, just no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Buceph wrote: »
    Is the TV license fee higher or lower in Britain?

Isn't it lower but because the populations higher it brings in more money? Anyway anything the BBC produces is of far, far FAR higher quality than RTE.

In regards to being part of the UK - proper broadband infrastructure.......YES PLEASE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

In answer to your question OP, no we'd not be better off under British rule.

We would however be better off without being ruled by the current party in charge, The Soldiers of Bankruptcy, ever again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement