Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Abuse Have You Had Shouted At You Recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

tomasrojo wrote:
    The only arguably illegal thing in what I do is not using the cycle lane until I'm around the corner on Dorset Street.

...there may be laws against riding over the roofs of those three stopped cars in your picture too. And the bonnet of the black car in the junction. But a satellite picture from googlemaps probably won't stand up as evidence against you in court. Nasty speed wobble as you straightened out on Dorset Street too!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,746 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Not my drawing. :-) (see original post and its attachment)

I queue up behind the cars, unless the queue is enormously long. If the queue is enormously long, there is bad congestion, so filtering is necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Not abuse, but a girl - also on a bike shouted at me "the light is green, you can go" whilst I was sitting behind a car (only for about 30 seconds) at a junction with no room to pass it (he wasn't able to move - yellow box).

She then tried to squeeze passed the car and knocked straight into the wing mirror.... smooooth....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

How could I forget! El Tonto, Lumen and I were subjected to about 5 minutes of consistent "wolf whistling" while at the MAWS trip to Kilkenny from a hen party in our hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

"Lesbians" never gets old, had that shouted a few times when out cycling with groups of women, usually from white van man.

"Jesus you nearly got yourself killed" from someone who nearly drove into the back of me at a red traffic light last week.

My husband got "f*** off you Northern c***, do you know where you are?" from a charming taxi driver. He's Scottish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

passed a couple today while doing a bit of mtbing in the woods on the way back i got a flat so i had to walk back past them, ive never seen a girl smile that evil in my life

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Not my drawing. :-) (see original post and its attachment)

I queue up behind the cars, unless the queue is enormously long. If the queue is enormously long, there is bad congestion, so filtering is necessary.

Well I'm not at the stage of weaving in and out of the traffic yet so I always queue up behind the cars. When they do take off I stay right behind them keeping up pace so I can't imagine what the guy had to complain about.

Well I'm not at the stage of weaving in and out of the traffic yet so I always queue up behind the cars. When they do take off I stay right behind them keeping up pace so I can't imagine what the guy had to complain about.
    Sounds like a perfect maneouvre.

If I had to guess, I'd say your critic thought that you should be as far left as possible. Which is not what the law says. I think it's "as far left as practical", which does not include making turns from the wrong lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Raam wrote: »
    They should get that bloody kitchen out of your bike workshop.

I'm just waiting for the "Either that bike goes or I do......"

Anyway, anytime stuff like that gets thrown at me, I remind her that it was she who bought me my first decent bike - Like Dr Frankenstein she has created a monster over which she now has no control - I can hardly be blamed for her lack of foresight.

the kids don't shout abuse, but they want to know my timetable for spins so they can get their friends either in or out of the house without having to suffer the embarassment of their lycra-clad Dad appearing on the scene:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

tomasrojo wrote: »
    though you have to watch for people illegally turning right from the left lane of Brunswick St.

Not only do you have to watch out for them when on the bike, you also need to keep an eye out when driving that road. And they usually beep, gesture or give out to you if you're in the RHS lane and correctly take the left lane upon turning from Brunswick Street with the intention of heading towards Bolton Street at the lights and therefore, in their eyes, cutting them off from skipping the usually longer queue on the RHS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭superrdave

Last week, I was cycling up Parnell Square West, having turned left from Parnell Street. A bus, coming from O'Connell Street direction, comes up on me from my right and with me now just about level with the door, he puts on the indicator, pulls across and stops at the bus stop. I obviously have pulled sharpish on the brakes and moved across the back of the bus at this stage so I can continue on my way. I have my lights on, flashing, front and rear. The bus is stopped, so I stop and tap on the drivers window as I pass and say perfectly calmly "Sorry, you completely cut me up there, watch out for cyclists next time".

Reply: Go **** yourself (or something to that effect). Me: I'm sorry? I was just trying to tell you to be more careful.

I should really have taken the route number and number plate and reported him to Dublin Bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

I came off the bike this morning at the end of my road due to a fractional movement of my handlebars and a tiny bit of front braking combined with a unexpectedly and deceptively slippy bit of frosty road. A woman immediately stopped her car across the road and shouted repeatedly to ask if I was alright and a guy who'd just parked as I crashed shouted that I could borrow his tools if Id done any damage to the bike.

Theyre not all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Someone yelled "triathlete!" at me once.

I wouldn't mind but I was only wearing the hot-pants en route to my pole dancing class.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

droidus wrote: »
    I came off the bike this morning at the end of my road due to a fractional movement of my handlebars and a tiny bit of front braking combined with a unexpectedly and deceptively slippy bit of frosty road. A woman immediately stopped her car across the road and shouted repeatedly to ask if I was alright and a guy who'd just parked as I crashed shouted that I could borrow his tools if Id done any damage to the bike.

Theyre not all bad.

Six of us on the way back into Dublin on Sunday, crossing the M3 near Dunboyne and one lad got a cramp. Motorist pulled in and asked did he want a lift home. Height of decency, really renews your faith in humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭sweetswing

buffalo wrote: »
    Six of us on the way back into Dublin on Sunday, crossing the M3 near Dunboyne and one lad got a cramp. Motorist pulled in and asked did he want a lift home. Height of decency, really renews your faith in humanity.

Never take lifts off strangers:D

buffalo wrote: »

its nice to see someone who isnt an arse unfortunately they are a rare breed in this country :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

"why don't you take the bus," from a portly ten year old boy in what seemed like a geuinely distraught yet indignant tone of voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Needabike

"Bless you little cotton socks.".........from a lady in a beer garden once. She saw me pass at the start of the spin and 4 hours later as she was still on the Bulmers I got this from her

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Just before Christmas, I walked past a random 8-year-old, who started throwing snowballs at me from about two feet away, though I had made no attempt to engage in a snowball fight. This struck me as the type of activity that could only appeal to someone with mental retardation, so I asked the youth in question whether that was indeed the case. However, after being called a c**t by someone whose testicles had not yet dropped, I knew that I had seen the future of Ireland and there was nothing to be done; so I walked away, predicting (correctly) that the little darling would be unable to hit me once I was more than three feet away. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

People from around the locality (a small city in northern Japan), are prone to shout really random things. Usually whatever English they know.. "This is a pen!!", or "I am interesting!!" are too good ones I've got.

But also people will shout out "ganbare!" or "ganbatte kudasai!" which mean good luck/do your best; always pretty cool to hear that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I was cycling along South Anne Street on a Dublin Bike and another Dublin Bike person was cycling towards me. Group of young guys were walking by and one of them shouts out "Oh morto. Yez are riding the same bikes."

Morto??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

xoxyx wrote: »
    I was cycling along South Anne Street on a Dublin Bike and another Dublin Bike person was cycling towards me. Group of young guys were walking by and one of them shouts out "Oh morto. Yez are riding the same bikes."

Morto??? :D

"Morto" is Dublin-Italian for "deadly".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Some cnut in an Alfa yesterday shouting at me to "move to the left of the road". The road in question being a small laneway with cars parked on both sides.... and I was turning right at the end. :rolleyes:

It's not like I was going slow, I was sticking to the speed limit. When the lane widened she sped past. She didn't seem to think it was bad that she broke the speed limit.... apparently it's a worse offence to cycle a bike! FFS! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

Lumen wrote: »
    "Morto" is Dublin-Italian for "deadly".

LOL. Just brilliant.

@xoxyx it's actually a Dublin abbreviation for "mortified"

Ant wrote: »
    LOL. Just brilliant.

@xoxyx it's actually a Dublin abbreviation for "mortified"

yes its the little known scum-bag language for mortified down here in tralee as well, i figure they use these abbreviations as they never learned to spell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I always thought of morto as very much Ross O'Carroll Kelly language. Was surprised to hear it out of that bunch of young fellas - didn't think they looked like ROCK fans!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Skkeeeeaaaaaarrrrrrleh'

Means more or less the same as morto.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I was in Phibsborough a few weeks back waiting with the GF outside St. Peters church for the bus. When she hopped on I got in position to move out back into traffic. There was a man in his mid to late 50s in front of me who was waiting to cross the road.

I held off moving as I didn't want to make my way into traffic only for him to walk in front of me at the same time. After a short while he shouted 'Move ya fruit cake- move'. I looked at him and asked 'What did you say' to which he crossed the road. I got off the bike and walked after him asking what he had said to which he repled 'Nothing'.

Fecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

yes its the little known scum-bag language for mortified down here in tralee as well, i figure they use these abbreviations as they never learned to spell :D

[OT]
    SPELL!!! The ones down here couldn't chew gum and walk at the same time never mind spell! :D

I just find it funny they end all their sentences no matter how long or short in 'bah' or 'gerl'.
    [/OT]

• Advertisement

just-joe wrote: »
    People from around the locality (a small city in northern Japan), are prone to shout really random things. Usually whatever English they know.. "This is a pen!!", or "I am interesting!!" are too good ones I've got.

But also people will shout out "ganbare!" or "ganbatte kudasai!" which mean good luck/do your best; always pretty cool to hear that.
    Not cycling-related, but this reminds me of the experience an acquaintance had walking in India. Locals would try out whatever English they had on him. One stood out, since it was clearly the only English phrase the local had heard with any frequency, and it contained within itself a likely explanation of why that was. The local walked up to him and said conversationally: "You are a very naughty boy." He followed it up amiably with: "Please leave the room now."

Advertisement