Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning about Carlisle gym

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pedro7raven

I had the "pleasure" of working in Carlisle on the maintenance/cleaning staff part time for 3 years and I will reiterate what you have all said about the blatant disregard for the gym facilities - it would seem some (and obviously not all - there are a huge number of fantastic members) who would literally just drop rubbish on the ground as they walk past a bin - you've just made a big grunting show about how much you can bench press, surely a little black bin lid should be no match for your aaaamazing guns... That being said when the gym first opened I was on a full time cleaning roster but after 4 months the roster was cut from 40 hours to 10, which obviously had an effect.

Can anyone recommend a gym in Dublin city centre - ideally around grafton/Dawson street area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Shayok

Thank god your not coming back, u little gay lord

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Shayok wrote: »
    Thank god your not coming back, u little gay lord

banned for a week.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭superbad50

I disagree with the poor standards comment. I have been in most gyms around the area. I have seldom seen dirty bottles , showers etc in the carlise . I am sure it happens but not that often. This is by far the best gym I have been in , in terms of facilities. . granted it does get busy , but a gym is a gym , ie for training - . So what if a bottle or two is lying around. get over it . it's a big gym catering for a lot of people - the staff cannot be on their game 24/7. you more than get what you pay ( it's the cheapest gym I know of , and has i would say double the amount of equipment and services that most other gyms provide. Ben Dunne all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

superbad50 wrote: »
    I disagree with the poor standards comment. I have been in most gyms around the area. I have seldom seen dirty bottles , showers etc in the carlise . I am sure it happens but not that often. This is by far the best gym I have been in , in terms of facilities. . granted it does get busy , but a gym is a gym , ie for training - . So what if a bottle or two is lying around. get over it . it's a big gym catering for a lot of people - the staff cannot be on their game 24/7. you more than get what you pay ( it's the cheapest gym I know of , and has i would say double the amount of equipment and services that most other gyms provide. Ben Dunne all the way

Maybe they cleaned it up in the six months since people were actually posting on this thread? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

I've just come in from my first visit down to Carlisle, and have noticed a few things. To avoid a trolling exercise, first the positives.
    There are almost endless cardio machines, 50-60 treadmills alone, the whole place is about 8 times the size of my current gym.
    There are duplicates of most weights (6x 30Kg dumbells for instance), so I was able to get a hold of the right weight for each set.

Not so good:
    The boys side V girls side apartheid thing is very strange. You can train over at the girls' side, and its much tidier.
    The pool has as many people sitting by the edge having a chat as actually swimming.
    And the worst, by quite a margin; does anyone put weights back on the rack after them?
    I went between 18.30 and 20.30 and the whole place was littered with every conceivable plate, dumbell and bar combination. Honestly, fewer than 20% of the weights were actually on racks. I'm not a health and safety freak, but
    it's dangerous as well as a pain in the ar$e.

You shouldn't have to tell people how to behave, but I didn't notice the usual number of signs indicating that they should be replaced after use. The few people I asked where weights came from or should be put back to actually pointed vaguely around the benches. Astonishing.
    Been a member of 5 or 6 gyms and it was far and away the worst I've seen. There weren't many staff around enforcing/encouraging good behavior, but they shouldn't have to, should they?

All that said, I'll probably join, it's close, it's huge and it's cheap, and maybe try to improve things from within.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Ben Dunne pricing lowers the barrier to entry so more knob heads I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

my local gym has those people too.
    and some of them are long term gym attendees.

as part of the membership signing up process, every new member should be shown/told that
    1 you must replace the equipment you use,
    2 not hog equipment you ain't using,
    3 use a frickin' towel on machines and benches,
    4 respect the equipment. if stuff is damaged then membership fees have to increase to replace them!
    4 tidy up your own rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Apparently, the Big Fella is removing hairdryers from the male changing rooms in all his gyms because of all the dirtbirds blowdrying their pubes.....:pac::pac:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/private-parts-left-out-in-the-cold-after-ben-dunne-removes-hair-dryers-from-gyms-3079211.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Apparently, the Big Fella is removing hairdryers from the male changing rooms in all his gyms because of all the dirtbirds blowdrying their pubes.....:pac::pac:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/private-parts-left-out-in-the-cold-after-ben-dunne-removes-hair-dryers-from-gyms-3079211.html

I see he is leaving the plugs there so that you can bring your own hairdryer - I wonder if the culprits will bring their own hair dryers to dry their "bits"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Yeah about 2 weeks ago the signs went up, I had to laugh.
    Bit stupid someone suggesting he was trying to save on the electricity, after all I'm sure the ladies use the hairdryers 10+times more.

On a positive note, the new classes in Carlisle are brilliant, I'm saving a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Dead right. I've seen dirty buggers doing that in Westpoint in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I dont see anything wrong with it - the air is blowing out, not in! Its not as if the hairdryer is sucking pubes into itself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

worst thing about this place is the obvious lack of staff on the gym floor,
    the weights are just strewn around the place with no one enforcing the rule to put the weights back,
    everything else is pretty good especially for the price but i cant see myself renewing, you shouldnt have to wait 10 minutes while you search for weights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I've been a member since it opened and can't see any problems with it, apart from their obsession with Sky News.

I've been a member since it opened and can't see any problems with it, apart from their obsession with Sky News.

It's not too bad when I'm there usually but hate the spin bikes move. Trying to train with all the shouting , loud music AND the radio is hellish.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

place aint bad for the price , its one of the better ones .

few things to be aware of

1/ the place is allegedly full of local criminals and scum , so be careful of who you give a dissapproving look at ;) - the tats are the main giveaway .

2/ There is always a norn ireland loud mouth dumb fcuk in the steam room every morning talking absolute b0ll0x as loud as he can in the small tiled room ( usually around 9.30 am )

3/ the weights and plates are strewn about like confetti at a wedding from 7 pm on
    and its pretty jammed in the weights area from 6 to 8.30 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Rower2

alphabeat wrote: »
    place aint bad for the price , its one of the better ones .

few things to be aware of

1/ the place is allegedly full of local criminals and scum , so be careful of who you give a dissapproving look at ;) - the tats are the main giveaway .

2/ There is always a norn ireland loud mouth dumb fcuk in the steam room every morning talking absolute b0ll0x as loud as he can in the small tiled room ( usually around 9.30 am )

3/ the weights and plates are strewn about like confetti at a wedding from 7 pm on
    and its pretty jammed in the weights area from 6 to 8.30 pm.

Watched a personal trainer teaching a Guy how to use an erg. Awful. I showed him when the pt left. The majority of the ergs don't work, the chain/ drag is off.

Guys checking their abs in the mirror. General poser vibe.

Girls now wearing shorts with their asses out. There has to be some gymwear etiquette?

Other than that sure its grand

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

Rower2 wrote: »
    Watched a personal trainer teaching a Guy how to use an erg. Awful. I showed him when the pt left. The majority of the ergs don't work, the chain/ drag is off.

Girls now wearing shorts with their asses out. There has to be some gymwear etiquette?

Are you talking about the fitness team or the actual personal trainers? There's a difference between the two. Orange polo = fitness team. I know a lot of the personal trainers there and they're of a good standard.

Oisín

Oisinjm wrote: »
    Are you talking about the fitness team or the actual personal trainers? There's a difference between the two. Orange polo = fitness team. I know a lot of the personal trainers there and they're of a good standard.

Oisín

I'd agree with you there, esp the ones who there before the "standardisation" or whatever you'd call it.
    But now that Jack is gone I wouldn't credit the rest of the fitness team with much expertise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

I use this in the afternoons normally out by 6 because it does seem to get fairly busy from that time on. Though the new bike class is packed at that time. Easy enough to get weights or find a machine, been going since September but I think a lot of the January new years club have influxed.

I'd agree with you there, esp the ones who there before the "standardisation" or whatever you'd call it.
    But now that Jack is gone I wouldn't credit the rest of the fitness team with much expertise.

To be honest I didn't notice which he was. Maybe it could have been the fitness team. In fairness I have seen the pts working very hard in there. Whoever it was though it's not great being able to.go around giving advice about machines they can't use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

Rower2 wrote: »

For the first time ever I'm considering joining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

I suspect some scummer took my towel yesterday. There was no way they made a mistake as it was the closest to the door entrance to the pool and none of an other colour were around mine when I placed it on the holder.

I've been a member on and off for 5 years, great price, but it is full of idiots.

Mickk wrote: »

For the first time ever I'm considering joining

Did you presume it looked good?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Denver Thomas

don't waste y money on this outfit Ben Dunne go to flyfit instead.. theyway the place is run is shocking, the staff claim they are pro triners! WTF theres a dude there who works ther amazing trainer he is and i feel very sorry for him trapped in that toxic environment.

Join flyfit

sadly for ben dunne gym if they want to they'll be taking on an SEO marketing expert... bring it mother fuckers

zero customer service, the WOKE male staff are **** pathetic and they should give their bras back to their girlfriends if they have any and get their jockstraps back if they can, cant get on equipment too many juiced up kids in the way...long list...

this is by far the worst gym in Dublin, do not waste y money go to Flyfit down the road, people are leaving this shithole in droves... its to be avoided if your a certain age over 40...

these pkids are so stupid who run this place... whoever reads this pls be advised that I run a marketing agency and I may yet use my silky skills to warn all and everyone as a dissasisfied customer which is within my rights to do so, to warn folk not to go here. there is no customer service from these woke over entitled dickless kids who are managers in an adult building...

finally they rip you off with refunds or indeed their infamous activation fee which I have paid twice... **** scammers they are

Join colosseum gym down the road they have exceptional equipment especially for boxers and MMA fighters its way better Gym

Ben Dun Carlise ... what a **** SHITHOLE

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Jesus christ, it's like Night of the Living Dead all over Boards today. Zombies err'where.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

10 year necrothread. Can lads not read. No wonder he was stung for the joining fee twice. Saw him coming

Advertisement