Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phillips selling TVs not conforming to Saorview Standard in 2011

Options
124»

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

conjollins wrote: »
    This worked as well for 40PFL560H - bit daft of Philips to be honest not to include this in Ireland setup - also I have bought two tvs from Harvey Norman in the last few months and all though they are aware of Saorview - MHEG 5 was never mentioned - it was only when I setup an LG TV for my parents that I realised they had the funky new teletext and I didnt. This is a very important feature of Saorview not just for this teletext but also for future features (eg,bbcs red button to select alternate video in a channel such as different matches at wimbledon). If a thread has not been started related to this I think it should be.

Con,

your 5605(Assuming it is a 5605 of course!) does have MHEG 5 - PM me with a contact number and i'll get on of the guys from the Philips shop to give you a call to talk you through it if you need assistance.

Thanks as ever,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Just a final Update I received from Philips support about the issue with the 32PFL5405/05H

So we should probably not expect a Firmware to be created to flick the switch on the Irish profile to enable MHEG5, particularly with Philips plans to exit the consumer TV market.

Boardies,

whilst I'm not Philips I understand that there is work going on to provide a firmware upgrade for the Irish profile in the 5605 2010 range - however I cannot guarantee when it may appear (of of course 110% if it will appear) in the interim using UK as home country now works fine.

On the stated second point of Philips exiting the TV market - this is not really true:

Philips has hit back at suggestions that its TV business is at an end – claims that sprang from the news that it's entering into a joint-venture agreement with a Chinese flatscreen manufacturer, as we reported earlier this week.

"The buzzword is continuity" said a spokesperson for Philips UK, "Anyone working on developing Philips TVs now will go across and work for the new joint-venture company from 2012."

So while Philips will have no longer have its own TV division, the staff and resources currently involved will be rolled into the new venture from January 2012. No redundancies are planned.

"There will be a continued UK focus and UK team for Philips TVs – it's going to be business as usual", they added.

Philips stressed that this is a joint venture with Chinese manufacturer, TPV, not – as earlier reports suggested – just a licensing agreement where only the brand name would remain the same.

"Our TV brand is way too important in the UK – and beyond – to risk compromising it in any way, " the Philips spokesperson explained. "This is simply a deal that will make us more competitive in the global TV market".

The joint-venture company will start working on products in 2012, based on research and development already underway at Philips.

The move should result in a broader range of Philips TVs, but the company's commitment to premium products and technologies – including 21:9 and Ambilight – remains strong

Most Major manufacturers operate JV's to remain competitive - Philips for instance for several years had a JV with LG - however I would presume that European production is really expensive to maintain and whilst the Philips European facilities & all Colleagues are transferring to the new JV I would guess that a JV with the largest monitor producer in the world would make Philips even more competitive....;)

That's how I see it from slightly outside the fold anyway (and I'm still waiting for delivery of my gold 21:9 :o which is due in August now :mad: ),

As ever drop me a line if we can assist,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭daddy_boy

John, i have a philips 42PFL7603 is there any likleyhood that there will be an update for it to recieve saorview ?

daddy_boy wrote: »
    John, i have a philips 42PFL7603 is there any likleyhood that there will be an update for it to recieve saorview ?

Daddy_boy,

Thanks for the post & apologies for the delay getting back to you - the 2008/9 42PFL7603 did not have an integrated MPEG4 tuner so unfortunately you will need an external STB to receive Saorview - the current range is of course all able to receive Saorview.

Keep me posted if we can assist in any way,

John Mc

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭daddy_boy

Daddy_boy,

Thanks for the post & apologies for the delay getting back to you - the 2008/9 42PFL7603 did not have an integrated MPEG4 tuner so unfortunately you will need an external STB to receive Saorview - the current range is of course all able to receive Saorview.

Keep me posted if we can assist in any way,

John Mc

OK Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ScruffyDub

Hi,
    I have a Philips 32PFL9604H12 bought early 2010 with an mpeg4 tuner, It was advertised as being 'Irish digital ready', Is it ?
    I also have a Samsung LE46A656 with British freeview tuner, will there be or is there a CAM available to convert 5he signal?
    why did Ireland choose such a niche system in the first place :mad:
    Sorry if the questions have already been asked.
    Thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

ScruffyDub wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have a Philips 32PFL9604H12 bought early 2010 with an mpeg4 tuner, It was advertised as being 'Irish digital ready', Is it ?
    I also have a Samsung LE46A656 with British freeview tuner, will there be or is there a CAM available to convert 5he signal?
    Thanks

It is the UK that has the niche system. Nearly everyone else has an open standard except the British.

CAMs do not work. Atall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Hi,
    Thanks

It's not a niche system, UK FreeviewHD (not freeview) is broadly compatible, the French TNT HD is broadly compatibly, several other European counties use DVB-T Mpeg4. The problem is the retailers in Ireland dumping old UK Freeview stock on the Irish market. DVB-T Mpeg4 is/was the best solution for Irish DTT, to choose otherwise would have been irresponsible.

The 32PFL9604H12 should work fine, however I'm not sure about the new digital text, it may or may not work. The Samsung will not work, no cams are available that will fix it. The cam's that where/are on the market are dangerous due to overheating and will not decode RTE 2HD

Thanks Guys,
    My father just called me and asked if he will be able to get RTE2 HD on his sky hd box or will he need another box, any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Thanks Guys,
    My father just called me and asked if he will be able to get RTE2 HD on his sky hd box or will he need another box, any thoughts?

The launch of Saorview will not affect SKY or UPC customers. Under legislation the channels will be made available to Sky and UPC, however it's is purely up to them if they want to carry them or not, they are not obliged to show them.

• Advertisement

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    The launch of Saorview will not affect SKY or UPC customers. Under legislation the channels will be made available to Sky and UPC, however it's is purely up to them if they want to carry them or not, they are not obliged to show them.
    thanks mate

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JackNow

I havea Philipe 42PFL5603 and i done as mentioned
    Originally Posted by mickeyboymel viewpost.gif
    Reinstall all the channels using UK as the country setting.....the tv channels may appear in the 800's.

Then go to Setup-Channel Settings - Channel Installation - Digital Reception Test - Search - Your local Frequency should appear there (already tuned) - Search - Store. Channels will now be in the correct order and both EPG and MHEG Text should work.

I can see that the Saorview channels are visible but all i get is sound and a message along the lines of "unknown video format"

Does this mean i have to get a set top box?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

JackNow wrote: »
    I havea Philipe 42PFL5603 and i done as mentioned
    Originally Posted by mickeyboymel viewpost.gif
    Reinstall all the channels using UK as the country setting.....the tv channels may appear in the 800's.

Then go to Setup-Channel Settings - Channel Installation - Digital Reception Test - Search - Your local Frequency should appear there (already tuned) - Search - Store. Channels will now be in the correct order and both EPG and MHEG Text should work.

I can see that the Saorview channels are visible but all i get is sound and a message along the lines of "unknown video format"

Does this mean i have to get a set top box?

Yes, that is a sign of an MPEG 2 TV made for the UK Freeview service.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JackNow

Thanks for your reply Sab Russell.
    Aldi set top box here i come!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,311 ✭✭✭✭ted1

john do they know irelad isn't im the uk, or have tjeu decided not to bother with the irish market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Sorry to dig up and old thread but I have been trying to get Saorview working on my Philips 42pfl7603d. Firstly I had to unlock the settings on the tv to allow me to tune DVB-T. I set the region to the Uk but it looks like my tv has MHEG4 installed. Can I upgrade to Mheg5 or is it a set top box for bully's special prize?

If it has Mpeg4 then it should tune in the stations. However - Saorview have screwed up the signal that makes tuning non-approved sets difficult.

1. There are nearly 40 blank channel headers that are ignored by Saorview sets but not by non-approved sets. These make it difficult to see the real channels.

2. There are two SSU channels that are put in to upgrade the software on approved sets, and these also trouble non-approved sets.

3. Setting the set to UK may add to your problems by putting all the Irish channels into the 800s.

What I suggest is to set it to Ireland (if you can) and do a complete retune.

Then step through the channels and note the channels that appear, waiting till it says 'No Signal' for the blank ones. There are something like 70 channels. Do not delete them at this stage or you will forget which is which.

Then delete the blank ones, but there are two RTE 1+1 channels so remember that, and they may appear as blank until after 7pm. Then sort what is left.

Then when you are finished, complain to ComReg, BAI, 2RN, and RTE about this crazy situation. They will not listen until a lot of people complain.

Good luck with that.

I'll try that. Just to note I have no picture with a message saying that it's not mheg4 ready and sound for all channels is working

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

bbability wrote: »
    Sorry to dig up and old thread but I have been trying to get Saorview working on my Philips 42pfl7603d. Firstly I had to unlock the settings on the tv to allow me to tune DVB-T. I set the region to the Uk but it looks like my tv has MHEG4 installed. Can I upgrade to Mheg5 or is it a set top box for bully's special prize?

I seem to recall Philips sets with model number ending in D are MPEG 2 only. Those ending in H are MPEG 4.

MHEG 5 refers to digital text.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Booms

From what I remember, the suffix "D" in your model number indicates it's mpeg2 - it needs to be "H" for mpeg4.

• Advertisement

The TV was manufactured in 2007 so it is unlikely to be MPEG4 so get a Saorview box - an approved one if you can.

The TV was manufactured in 2007 so it is unlikely to be MPEG4 so get a Saorview box - an approved one if you can.

That would explain not picture so...

Many thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Phillips are amongst the worst brands out there at the moment, selling on a great reputation they had in the 1980's and 1990's. I rate them alongside similar junk makes such as Walker, Bush and Alba, a total waste of money.

Panasonic, LG, Samsung and Sony are the only makes of TV anyone should seriously consider.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We don't drag up old threads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement