Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phillips selling TVs not conforming to Saorview Standard in 2011

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I've the uk freeview channels,so listen to uk radio a lot especially 5 live and radio 4 with the tv monitor off.
    One of the tv's is hooked up to the home cinema set up,so I'd often have bbc radio 2 or some of the uk commercials on that or the rte radio channels,the quality through the home sound system fed from the tv is superb.
    Picture quality on rte2 is way better than sd sky and as it's already 1080,it will soon be showing true hd content.

No fair point if you use it as much as that. As for RTE in HD good luck with that not happening in true HD only upscaled for the moment and with budget cuts and massive finance issues in RTE it could be a long time before we get HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 suse103

there just not up to the job,the tv's dont work as they should for soarview,really they don't from someone who bought one....only important point is that.some very nice people here willing to help others, its a new year, new things to learn, me i look forward 2 being helped

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Ok were to start as you say content is shocking, EPG is crap, lack of 5.1 sound, No HD or 3D, No video on demand, No proper interactive services.

RTE are not sending an MHEG5 EPG yet. That's just TV specific EPG using DVB-EIT data.

5.1 sound is only really cinema soundtracks. The spec includes HE-AAC (aka AAC+) for Stereo and surround.

Video on Demand is Not a Broadcast feature. RTE do however have a player and do intend integration via MHEG5 on TVs and setboxs with Internet. Most people in Ireland don't have good enough Internet. Maybe 15% can get good enough Broadband. NBS is no use for it.

The Service hasn't publicly launched.

All these are CONTENT issues. Nothing to do with the Technology.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Sorry Watty just noticed your reply but it is still a dreadful typical Irish system that is blitzed by pay TV providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,311 ✭✭✭✭ted1

looks like they fixed a problem switzerland were having:

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpcontent.pl?tmplt=ePlatform - Philips&scy=IE&slg=ENG&mid=Link_Software&sct=LCD_TV_SU&cat=TV_CA&grp=SOUND_AND_VISION_GR&session=20110127072854_86.43.105.156&ctn=42PFL5405H/05&dct=FUS&did=ENG&reldct=FHI&file=/files/4/42pfl5405h_05/42pfl5405h_05_fhi_eng.pdf#toolbar=0&zoom=100

i wonder then they say "Not all channels/services can be found during channel installation. (Only applicable to
    country, Switzerland)"

are they really saying we sorted out so radio/tv and digital text now work, but we don't want to upset the irish by saying as much. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

ted1 wrote: »
    looks like they fixed a problem switzerland were having:

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpcontent.pl?tmplt=ePlatformPhilips&scy=IE&slg=ENG&mid=Link_Software&sct=LCD_TV_SU&cat=TV_CA&grp=SOUND_AND_VISION_GR&session=20110127072854_86.43.105.156&ctn=42PFL5405H/05&dct=FUS&did=ENG&reldct=FHI&file=/files/4/42pfl5405h_05/42pfl5405h_05_fhi_eng.pdf#toolbar=0&zoom=100

i wonder then they say "Not all channels/services can be found during channel installation. (Only applicable to
    country, Switzerland)"

are they really saying we sorted out so radio/tv and digital text now work, but we don't want to upset the irish by saying as much. ;)
    Well spotted - will ask Philips support when I am on to them again. At least we can see that they are still producing firmware updates for country specific issues (Switzerland and Finland in this update), so they can't say that it's not a supported model any more. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Radio Stations Back!!!

Ok...the RTE 2 Temporary Channel was showing a test card all afternoon and has just reverted to the lower bitrate RTE2 a little while ago and hey presto....the radio channels are all back working perfectly on my 32PFL5405H/05 and also on my 32PFL5604H/12 both set to UK mode for digital text!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I wonder what RTE have changed in their broadcast flags over the past 24 hours. It would be nice to know that the change is permanent and that the issues with Phillips which only started late in 2010 are fully resolved....by RTÉ that is.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I wonder what RTE have changed in their broadcast flags over the past 24 hours. It would be nice to know that the change is permanent and that the issues with Phillips which only started late in 2010 are fully resolved....by RTÉ that is.

Guys,

just an (unofficial) confirmation - The issue with Philips TV's with an MPEG4 decoder whereby they could not load radio stations on the new digital platform is now resolved.

I understand RTE, working with Philips have resolved this and as of the 15th February if Philips 'H' series owners rescan TV's they should be able to receive radio services.

Thanks to all for their efforts,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭56lcd

Guys,

just an (unofficial) confirmation - The issue with Philips TV's with an MPEG4 decoder whereby they could not load radio stations on the new digital platform is now resolved.

I understand RTE, working with Philips have resolved this and as of the 15th February if Philips 'H' series owners rescan TV's they should be able to receive radio services.

Thanks to all for their efforts,

John Mc & Crew

Well done John & Crew for resolving this issue, Philips are no longer in my bad books because the pursued this problem and fixed it.

• Advertisement

now all they have to do is to get the service working when the location is set to ireland.

I think in fairness...we will have to settle for what we have now,given that on the one hand they were not very open to writing any new software to address the issue, and secondly, the fact they negotiated with RTE to fix whatever was wrong in order to make the sets work again.

never settle it just promotes laziness and excuses for things not being done.

I dont agree there, Philips have gone out of their way to sort this out and I for one am grateful to them.

Yes certainly all future models should conform in the Ireland setting no excuse.

At the end of the day they could have ignored us completely like Panasonic did to their customers.

you do realise that they are a company who profit on selling products to consumers, they are not a charity or voluntary organisation.

they were not doing us a favour they were doing their job.

it's their intrest to sort it.

Well best of luck getting them to rewrite the firmware for the entire PFL H series of televisions.... I for one am quite happy with both my sets tuned via the UK setting and consider it a more than favourable outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭Comhrá

On the subject of Philips... I'm considering buying a Philips 40pfl9705H
    from Harvey Norman. The salesperson assures me I'll be able to receive Saorview - The data below is from the Philips.ie website:

9000 series LED TV:

Tuner/Reception/Transmission
    Aerial Input: 75 ohm coaxial (IEC75)
    Video Playback: NTSC, SECAM, PAL
    Digital TV: DVB Terrestrial*, DVB-T MPEG4*, DVB-C MPEG4*, MHEG
    Tuner bands: Hyperband, S-Channel, UHF, VHF

Will I be able to receive Saorview?

Thanks for any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭John mac

DVB-T MPEG4

Yes

why not ask for a demo instore ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Thanks John mac.

I'll ask next week for a Saorview demo. Big price reduction on this model.
    soon as new model due. Great reviews, esp. pic quality.
    Saw it today beside the Samsungs and it had superb quality pic.

John.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Is there any possibility that any of the Philips sets will be subbmitted for Saorview certification over this year? The important bits of the standard (i.e. DVB-T, MPEG4, MHEG5 and AAC) are already in place in a number of their televisions. A firmware upgrade may be all that's necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

At the end of the day they could have ignored us completely like Panasonic did to their customers.

Panasonic have buried their heads in the sand re Saorview & their 2010 range & have no interest in releasing an upgrade to sort their non complience to published minimum requirements &
    well done to Philips on making an effort. (Not sure how they perform with their 2011 range Pannys)

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

I bought a Philips TV last September (32PFL5605/H05) and it does not show the EPG.

I have the latest Software download from the Philips website installed. I was onto Philips customer service and they said that it was due to an MHEG 5 problem.

But others have told me that the EPG has nothing to do with MHEG5.

Any solution ? Thanks

Reinstall all the channels using UK as the country setting.....the tv channels may appear in the 800's.

Then go to Setup-Channel Settings - Channel Installation - Digital Reception Test - Search - Your local Frequency should appear there (already tuned) - Search - Store. Channels will now be in the correct order and both EPG and MHEG Text should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Reinstall all the channels using UK as the country setting.....the tv channels may appear in the 800's.

Then go to Setup-Channel Settings - Channel Installation - Digital Reception Test - Search - Your local Frequency should appear there (already tuned) - Search - Store. Channels will now be in the correct order and both EPG and MHEG Text should work.

It worked. Genius. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Not true, they are producing as part of a Joint Venture from now on...just like Samsumg/Sony have done.

It means the screens in Phillips and Taiwanese jobbies like AOC or ASUS will be the same in future but the electronics/smarts will be different as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

tippman1 wrote: »
    On the subject of Philips... I'm considering buying a Philips 40pfl9705H
    from Harvey Norman. The salesperson assures me I'll be able to receive Saorview - The data below is from the Philips.ie website:

9000 series LED TV:

Tuner/Reception/Transmission
    Aerial Input: 75 ohm coaxial (IEC75)
    Video Playback: NTSC, SECAM, PAL
    Digital TV: DVB Terrestrial*, DVB-T MPEG4*, DVB-C MPEG4*, MHEG
    Tuner bands: Hyperband, S-Channel, UHF, VHF

Will I be able to receive Saorview?

Thanks for any info.

Hi, how did you get on with the tv, I am interested too, but have read this model has lots of problems with it, such as audio buzzing, vertical lines etc. It seems to affect only ones that were made on certain weeks. Check out this thread on avforums
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/3d-lcd-tvs/1397132-philips-2010-8605-9705-3d-ready-led-tv-series-part-4-a-new-post.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24 conjollins

This worked as well for 40PFL560H - bit daft of Philips to be honest not to include this in Ireland setup - also I have bought two tvs from Harvey Norman in the last few months and all though they are aware of Saorview - MHEG 5 was never mentioned - it was only when I setup an LG TV for my parents that I realised they had the funky new teletext and I didnt. This is a very important feature of Saorview not just for this teletext but also for future features (eg,bbcs red button to select alternate video in a channel such as different matches at wimbledon). If a thread has not been started related to this I think it should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Just a final Update I received from Philips support about the issue with the 32PFL5405/05H
    With regards to your query the only work around for this issue is to change the country setting to the UK and hence this is the only solution available for customers in Ireland.

So we should probably not expect a Firmware to be created to flick the switch on the Irish profile to enable MHEG5, particularly with Philips plans to exit the consumer TV market.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement