Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycleways / Bike Shops Experiences

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

kona wrote: »
    Then why are they not listed on the specialized site? perhaps I am wrong, but I know for a fact you can source specialized in ireland from a distributor other than base14, albeit a english one.

How do you know for a fact?

If you follow the specialized link on the page you listed, go to Britain and Ireland, then go to find a dealer, cycleways are not even listed in Dublin, however richies bike shop in swords are.
    Now obviously cycleways do sell specialized! Just odd that they are no listed anywhere on specialized site and neither is base14

If I type in "Dublin" on that site, it thinks I am talking about somewhere called Dublin in Northern Ireland. It also thinks that Cloughjordan is in Dublin city centre. It's quite obvious the dealer locator is very broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,055 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

"Official" is a very loose term. Which specific contracts are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭C3PO

Lumen wrote: »
    "Official" is a very loose term. Which specific contracts are you referring to?

When I said "official" I meant through an authorised Specialized distributor. It is always open to a retail outlet to source bikes through the "grey" market or alternatively to buy bikes from other retail outlets and then sell them on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭durrus

Everyone in the bike business in Ireland knows that Cycleways, or rather their wholesale arm Base, are the distributors for Specialized in Ireland. I'm not aware - as a shop owner - of any other way of sourcing Specialized officially and with brand support other than through this channel. Buying one through the 'grey market' of using a retail shop in the UK could be done I suppose but why would you? God knows there's enough bike brands to go around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Well, the link I posted in my first post lists the Authorised specialized dealers, according to specialized. Ireland has no listed Authorised dealer according to specialized, and I doubt its a website issue as Cycleways have sold specialized years.
    Ive no Idea how Base 14 or cycleways operate, but Im sure it would be a concern that for whatever reason they are not listed on specializeds site, as this Im sure is a fist step to finding a specialized bike!

We all know that cycleways is one of the biggest specialized dealers in the country.

Also, If its listing a shop in swords as a specialized dealer when i type in Dublin then Im satisfied its working.

I'd love to know what the story is anyhow with all this.

Well, the link I posted in my first post lists the Authorised specialized dealers, according to specialized. Ireland has no listed Authorised dealer according to specialized, and I doubt its a website issue as Cycleways have sold specialized years.
    Ive no Idea how Base 14 or cycleways operate, but Im sure it would be a concern that for whatever reason they are not listed on specializeds site, as this Im sure is a fist step to finding a specialized bike!

We all know that cycleways is one of the biggest specialized dealers in the country.

Also, If its listing a shop in swords as a specialized dealer when i type in Dublin then Im satisfied its working.

I'd love to know what the story is anyhow with all this.

Search for Dublin, change radius to 250km and look what appears in the list...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Kona, Perhaps you should ring Specialized UK tomorrow, as you seem unable to accept that:

1. Cycleways are an approved Spesh retailer.
    2. Base are the EXCLUSIVE Spesh distributor for the Republic of Ireland.

Don't mean to be blunt, but this is backed up by several posters here (including a bike shop owner), anyone who knows anything about bike retail in Ireland, and, it seems, the admittedly dysfunctional Specialized UK website. BTW The website problem is a common one in a lot of industries as we have no postcodes here, and much of the web software is postcode-driven.

spyderski wrote: »
    Kona, Perhaps you should ring Specialized UK tomorrow, as you seem unable to accept that:..

Do you work in a bike shop?
    1. Cycleways are an approved Spesh retailer..

Never said they were not, In fact Im pretty sure I stated they were.
    2. Base are the EXCLUSIVE Spesh distributor for the Republic of Ireland.

Halfrauds can get them, and they dont get them through base 14, now they probably do get them through specialized UK, However, they have stores here, so base 14 are hardly EXCLUSIVE spesh distributors to Irish riders and stores.
    Don't mean to be blunt, but this is backed up by several posters here (including a bike shop owner), anyone who knows anything about bike retail in Ireland, and, it seems, the admittedly dysfunctional Specialized UK website...
    DOnt mean to be blunt but the amount of people here who work in the bike industry here Id imagine is very few, I know a hell of alot more than you about it, Ive 6 years of experience in it.
    Also, I couldnt care what several posters say, there is plenty of bull**** sprouted on this forum about bike shops thats totally incorrect. I know for a fact that you can get a specialized bike in Ireland that hasnt come from Base 14. Several posters from boards.ie aint gunna make the fact go away.
    BTW The website problem is a common one in a lot of industries as we have no postcodes here, and much of the web software is postcode-driven.

BTW the spesh site states enter adress , not enter postcode.

The website im referring to, after pointed out that if you change the range cycleways comes up, is the one I linked to first that lists the Authorised dealers for each country. Ireland isnt listed, now maybe Base 14 have a contract with Spesh UK.

Now back to the topic in hand, now that in some standing Base 14 is a distributor of specialized, and has strong links to cycleways, the supply problem isnt a cycleways issue, it would be a Specialized issue, so maybe People should tell their friend of a friend this before they spew more **** about a bikeshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭C3PO

For Gods sake Kona .... you're in a hole ..... stop digging!

• Advertisement

RPL1 wrote: »
    For Gods sake Kona .... you're in a hole ..... stop digging!

Why? I might get the **** outa this country faster .:p

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

Halfrauds can get them, and they dont get them through base 14

The name of the company is actually Base Active Distribution Ltd., not base 14 (I presume you're getting the 14 from the URL of their About page).

Keep up the digging! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Do you work in a bike shop?

No. <snip>

<snip>

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Tedious bickering beckons :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

OK everyone. Let's calm down. We can have this conversation without getting nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've always found Cycleways, pretty friendly particularly the older guy with the glasses. Mechanics were a little grumpy, or maybe just not chatty. Never bought much in there though. Their website is dire though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Roundabound

I came upon this thread and decided i had to join to say my piece. I have known a few of the guys(and girl) in Cycleways for a few years now and have always gone in there to buy my bits and bobs. Now yes i know them and may get better treatment because i know them but when you observe those guys with regular customers you find people who care about the bikes and the people riding them. I do have to say though in a respectful way people do have their on and off days.....afterall we are all only human at the end of the day. It does also come down to how you talk to them is the way you will get talked back to. The staff in there tend to go above and beyond to ensure customer satisfaction.
    Cycleways is also part of Runways and Base Active all owned by the same owner. Base distibutes Specialized to Cycleways and bike shops around the country. They(Base) are the distributors of Specialized in Ireland and in theory nobody else should be bringing them in to the country unless through Base but oh well a few corners are cut by the minority.
    Well i hope this might bring clarity to some. If not then its my opinion on a great bike shop. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭Plastik

I've been on a bike for a little more than a year and the first place I usually go a check as a LBS is Cycleways. Bought a Spec Allez from them last January and the wait was no longer than 2-3 weeks, basically the length of time it took for the C2W process to tick over through work.

Have separately used them for buying assorted bits of kit and for getting a bike fitting done with Ash from Runways, who was nothing but a gent and very generous with his time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

recently got my bike serviced in there, think the dude was polish, bang on chap and done a super job! as was the mexican dude although his always happy as Larry!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Side Show Bob

Bought my first bike in there in 2003, from Francis. All or amy service that I have needed has been done for me no matter how small, I have found them to be really sound, especially Philip & Francis, the Polish Mechanic is the only guy that I would let near my bike under any circumstances. Website is terrible but everything else is as good as can be expected

Advertisement