Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycleways / Bike Shops Experiences

Options
  • 17-01-2011 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

About to buy my first "proper" bike and was gonna buy one of the Specialized Sirrus range, went into Cycleways and was told they didn't have a suitable one in stock but could have in around two weeks for me.

I decided to think about it rather than place the order then and there. Subsequently was chatting to a friend about this who told me his company had stopped dealing with Cycleways on the Cycle to Work scheme as they were constantly telling people bikes would be in in a couple of weeks but it would drag on for months at a time.

Obviously this is all third and fourth hand information so was wondering if any of you had similar experiences with them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Depends on suppliers and distributors, cycleways (or any small bikeshop) wont carry many bikes in storage, too risky and expensive, they order as they need them.
    What company was this that stopped dealing with them? Sounds like a typical story youd expect to hear from a friend of a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭C3PO

kona wrote: »
    Depends on suppliers and distributors, cycleways (or any small bikeshop) wont carry many bikes in storage, too risky and expensive, they order as they need them.

Cycleways are hardly a small shop - they are the retail arm of the Irish Specialized importer!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

If you know which one you want, you could contact worldwide cycles in Clonmel, they also sells Spesh and they ship.

Wheelworx in Lucan are very good with their stock, they have lots in store. Might be a good idea to go have a look, even though I am pretty sure they don;t carry Specialized right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭happytramp

Everyone will have their own preferences but for my money Cycleways is one of the better shops in Dublin. Friendly staff, good range (not just bbb) and most stuff is a few quid cheaper than, say, City Cycles or Cyclogical. They have also been very good at ringing me to let me know how they're getting on tracking down a hard to get part or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

When I ordered my Specialized from Cycleways (2006) it took at least a month before it came in. I think the problem is Specialized themselves, but that's just my guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I've bought two bikes in the last 5 years. Both times I tried to buy a Specialized Sirrus in cycleways and both times was told it would be months before they had the model/size I wanted. Ended up going elsewhere and got different bikes. I have found though that cycleways are great for other stuff likes parts and accessories. Usually their prices are on par with chainreaction too.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

I got a Sirrus from Cycleways in 2009 and I had to wait a week.

As far as bike shops go, they're okay... Most of the lads I've dealt with over the years are fine, although one of their bike mechanics seemed a bit grumpy when I asked a question about tyres. He was standing around doing **** all and there was no one else on the floor downstairs so I don't get the problem.

RPL1 wrote: »
    Cycleways are hardly a small shop - they are the retail arm of the Irish Specialized importer!

There are no Irish specialized distributors. Any bike shop in Ireland can order specialized if they really want to, they just have to source them fro the UK market, of which is allocated feck all of the total supply.

http://www.specialized.com/gb/en/bc/SBCGlobalPages.jsp?pageName=intlSubs

And I'd consider their shop to be quite small.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

So from the sound of things seems more like a Specialized issue than a CycleWays one? Makes me wonder why the guys in the store were so eager to steer me in that direction if this was going to be an issue.

Anyway, any thoughts on what a good alternative to the Sirrus would be? I want a light weight hybrid suitable for commuting and occassionsal weekend cycle. Not a fan of drop handle bars, needs to be easily maintained as i am a complete novice, and not something that'll cost the earth!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Check out the Trek 7.xFX range or the Giant Rapid range. Trek will probably be the easiest to get as there are a good few stockists around Dublin. Cycle Superstore in Tallaght are good for the Giant range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,649 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Try the Cyclesuper store in Tallaght for this: http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=32&idproduct=38481

Was up there at the weekend and they seem to have a large amount of stock

There are no Irish specialized distributors. Any bike shop in Ireland can order specialized if they really want to, they just have to source them fro the UK market, of which is allocated feck all of the total supply.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that if you want to officially sell Specialized bikes in Ireland then you have to source them from the Irish importer (can't think of the company name offhand!) who also own Cycleways!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

All incorrect, please check your facts. Cycleways (or a connected company owned by Phil Cassidy) ARE the distributor for Specialized in Ireland. If they can't get them, no-one can. And you can't buy one from the UK, as authorised retailers there are not (officially) allowed to ship Specialized bikes outside their home territory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Cycleways, like all shops I guess, can be a bit hit and miss. The guy I dealt with when I was getting my Brompton was brilliant but I have had less than satisfactory experiences there before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Tackleberry

Base distribution is one of Dave Cassidy's companys and has the sole rights for Specialized in Ireland, the Republic anyway - as a bike shop, you get it from him or you don't get it at all.

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Base distribution is one of Dave Cassidy's companys and has the sole rights for Specialized in Ireland, the Republic anyway - as a bike shop, you get it from him or you don't get it at all.

I presume you mean Phil Cassidy? His brother is Dave Cassidy (who owns Cyclelogical). It is truly a small world.

spyderski wrote: »
    All incorrect, please check your facts. Cycleways (or a connected company owned by Phil Cassidy) ARE the distributor for Specialized in Ireland. If they can't get them, no-one can. And you can't buy one from the UK, as authorised retailers there are not (officially) allowed to ship Specialized bikes outside their home territory.

bull****.

for a start halfrauds can order them into ireland, as can any other bike shop. There are PLENTY of distributors based in the UK that serve the irish market. Are you sayin that specializeds own info is wrong?

If Mr cassidy cant order a bike into his own shop hes not much of a distributor.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,056 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

bull****.

for a start halfrauds can order them into ireland, as can any other bike shop. There are PLENTY of distributors based in the UK that serve the irish market. Are you sayin that specializeds own info is wrong?

If Mr cassidy cant order a bike into his own shop hes not much of a distributor.

There are three seperate cases here:

1. UK retail -> Irish punter. No.
    2. UK retail -> Irish bike shop. Probably.
    3. UK distributor -> Irish bike shop. No idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭eoghan84

I found one of the staff in Cycleways to be very rude when I was asking about getting a jersey to the point that I decided not to get anything there seen as we have CRC! I guess though I was only buying a jersey and maybe he didn't have much time for such a little purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Lumen wrote:

That was my understanding too, and the fact that sites like Evan Cycles (and Bike24, I think) won't even ship the likes of Specialized inner tubes to here seemed to support it, but I discovered recently that there is at least one retailer in the North who will sell to here. I'm not sure where deliveries from North to South fit into the usual restrictions so perhaps it is a special case in which case any shop in the North may be able to ship to here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Raging_Hull

I bought a Cannondale in Cycleways on the Bike to Work scheme this time last year. The staff I was dealing with were brilliant. Spent loads of time with me and set up a number of different bikes for me to try sizes.

I had a few problems with the front derailleur and their after-sales was great too. The bike I wanted was in stock, but they did tell me that if I wanted any other model (e.g the Ultegra version) it would be months...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,649 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

+1 on Cycleways after sales service, had two instances where I had issues with my bike.

1, was when the freehub went as i was out for a spin up the mountains on a saturday, brought it into the shop that day and it was fixed *

2, brake disc was rubbing and i brought it in on a sunday and it was fixed straight away. *

Never found any of the staff to be anything less than quite helpful at all times i have been there.

(*try doing that with a bike purchased over the internet!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I bought my Cube Acid from the place just beside the Luas tracks by Capel Street. I found them really friendly and helpful. They were recommended to me by a colleague who was dealing with Cycleways and who were giving him the run around. I can't see a reason at the moment for me to use anyone else, they'll hopefully be getting my business for a good long time to come.

Lumen wrote: »

2. UK retail -> Irish bike shop. Probably.
    3. UK distributor -> Irish bike shop. No idea.

From my POV Im dealing with 3, as cycleways is a shop and not a punter. Still specialized dont even list a Irish supplier, and they dont list britain as supplying the Irish market, However you can order (if your a retailer) from a english distributor.
    Just the Same way that cyclogical were Kona Dealers yet other Irish shops stocked them, If I remember right Paligap are the British suppliers of them.

Comes back to when the manufacturer decides to produce X amount of a model, then give Y amount to the UK market, Y is usually considerably less than youd expect.

I dont mean to be coming across as Im right your wrong, maybe a company owned by cycleways owner do supply some shops, but they are certainly not authorised and are certainly not the only way to get specialized.
    Also I dont see how making it out that cycleways cant get anybikes into the shop in a month is helping anybody, especially when most of the Bad stories here are from "a friend" or " A friend of a friend" , a bike shop isnt going to give you the run around for the craic especially when your dropping the guts of a grand or perhaps more, from repeated personal experience, its the suppliers who for some reason never have stock, and its usually basic stuff, add in beauracracy and its a disaster getting parts into this country in a week. Just a small example I had a bike come in during november,that I ordered the previous febuary. Needless to say I looked like the dick to the customer and had told him I didnt know where it was, and I didnt, and supplier didnt either. But the supplier in question is notorious for this.
    So IMO its quite possibly not cycleways fault at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭pauric1

i wouldnt go near cycleways or their sister shop runways again. i went into runways with my wife cos we both needed new runners. two staff members there, a foreign lad who just shrugged his shoulders and said "dunno" to most of my questions and a local who was obviously a running snob and extremely rude and unhelpful. stay the f*** away from them.

i've been in to wheelworx in lucan a few times now and find them really helpful and chatty even if i'm only in to browse. they have a huge selection of bikes on the floor aswell.

P

pauric1 wrote: »
    i wouldnt go near cycleways or their sister shop runways again. i went into runways with my wife cos we both needed new runners. two staff members there, a foreign lad who just shrugged his shoulders and said "dunno" to most of my questions and a local who was obviously a running snob and extremely rude and unhelpful. stay the f*** away from them.

i've been in to wheelworx in lucan a few times now and find them really helpful and chatty even if i'm only in to browse. they have a huge selection of bikes on the floor aswell.

P

Id say the total opposite, was the lad in runways running for sportsworld? I found that guy to be extremely helpful, he measured up one of my mates, did a small gait analysis, reccomended a pair of runner that were 2/3 off, happydays, best experience ive had in a running shop and I wasnt even buying them. Then he started talking about what runs he does and came across really well, as In he had a genuine interest in the sport and what hes selling.

Whats a running snob? Told you your nike air schmax were for the pub? (
    They are!
    )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

From my POV Im dealing with 3, as cycleways is a shop and not a punter. Still specialized dont even list a Irish supplier, and they dont list britain as supplying the Irish market, However you can order (if your a retailer) from a english distributor.
    Just the Same way that cyclogical were Kona Dealers yet other Irish shops stocked them, If I remember right Paligap are the British suppliers of them.

http://www.base.ie/14.html
    Base Active Distribution Ltd. are the Irish distributors for the following high quality cycling and sports products, Specialized Bikes and Accessories, Cannondale high quality bicycles, cycling clothing and accessories, Enervit food supplements for sports and an active life, and much more.

I would be willing to bet a pretty penny that if you (as a bike shop in Ireland) called the English distributor, they would point you to Base.

I dont mean to be coming across as Im right your wrong, maybe a company owned by cycleways owner do supply some shops, but they are certainly not authorised and are certainly not the only way to get specialized.

Once again ... I'm pretty sure that these statements are simply incorrect! Base are the authorised Specialized Irish Distributor and no bike shops in Ireland can get Specialized bikes "officially" except through them! The possible exceptions to this could be big retail operations such as Halfords who have a presence in the UK market also!

If you follow the specialized link on the page you listed, go to Britain and Ireland, then go to find a dealer, cycleways are not even listed in Dublin, however richies bike shop in swords are.
    Now obviously cycleways do sell specialized! Just odd that they are no listed anywhere on specialized site and neither is base14

• Advertisement

RPL1 wrote: »
    Once again ... I'm pretty sure that these statements are simply incorrect! Base are the authorised Specialized Irish Distributor and no bike shops in Ireland can get Specialized bikes "officially" except through them! The possible exceptions to this could be big retail operations such as Halfords who have a presence in the UK market also!

Then why are they not listed on the specialized site? perhaps I am wrong, but I know for a fact you can source specialized in ireland from a distributor other than base14, albeit a english one.

Advertisement