Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where did your interest in Ice Hockey come from?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Dunnzer

I know I'm a bit late in saying this but GO BRUINS!!! cough sorry had to get that out. Also Someone posted saying that ESPN America doesn't have the games anymore. Is that true? Because we just got it free with sky sports and I was hoping to finally see some games.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭emul8ter25

When I was young I watched the 1980 winter olympics with my dad and witnessed "the miracle on ice" where team USA, made up of amateurs, defeated the Soviet Union team or professionals.

In my mind that's still one of the greatest moment in sports and I've been hooked ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,967 ✭✭✭cena

emul8ter25 wrote: »
    When I was young I watched the 1980 winter olympics with my dad and witnessed "the miracle on ice" where team USA, made up of amateurs, defeated the Soviet Union team or professionals.

In my mind that's still one of the greatest moment in sports and I've been hooked ever since.

The flim is great too. Its the one disney brought out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,995 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

back in 2001 spent 2 months in Montreal and loved the city and the sport, although i did play the games on the playstation aswell.

Got into it from there and last year spent more time in Montreal and got into even more even if it was nearly impossible to get a face vaule ticket for a game there.

Was weird going into an Irish bar that went from showing football in English to Hockey in French but good craic

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

Got a dreamcast with an NHL game on it, loved it from there. I always picked the Caps because I liked the jersey and since then they've become my team but now in American sports I follow all the Washington teams, so go Caps, Skins, Nationals, Wizards and United

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I was posted to Canada in the British Army to a place called Medicine Hat, started playing hockey in the Winter to keep fit for the rugby season and loved it. Watched virtually every Flames game that first season, the second season I made the Army team and toured Canada and the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

krissovo wrote: »
    I was posted to Canada in the British Army to a place called Medicine Hat, started playing hockey in the Winter to keep fit for the rugby season and loved it. Watched virtually every Flames game that first season, the second season I made the Army team and toured Canada and the US.

Is it as mental to play as it looks?

COYW wrote: »
    Is it as mental to play as it looks?

Mental and frustrating until you get some decent skill at skating and then coordinating with with a stick. I actually found it a little bit of let down as in my head I built it up to be a truly awesome sport to play but the reality when you start you only end up chasing the puck around the ice without getting a touch.

I was defenceman, there is nothing more satisfying in sport than a really good body check that slams the skater into the boards while you keep your balance and get the puck.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Crapbag

New to the Hockey section on boards.ie

Just back from my Working Visa in Vancouver. Was so lucky to be there for their playoff run. Too bad. I watched the games in Bars and in a Barracks beside Rogers arena and was there for the riots. Myself and the girlfriend followed the full season and got to go to about 10 Vancouver Giants (WHL) games and 1 Canucks game. I emersed myself in Hockey culture for the year and it was f**king brilliant!

Ive loved hockey since I was about 12. Mighty Ducks might have had something to do with it. Played roller hockey for a few months until the craze died out. Still loved it though and was limited to playing silly computer games and watching hightlight tapes I got for christmas. Got my dad to bring back jerseys and a set of Hockey gloves when I was in my teens.

I got to fulfil my childhood dream this year when I got to learn how to skate (badly) and played in Vancouver for a few months. Have to disagree with the frustration comment, I couldnt skate and couldnt stick handle but laughed my ass off the whole time and had an unbelievable amount of fun. Eventually I badly tore my hip flexor and stopped skating for a few months but I played floor hockey (similar to inline but without skates) up until... well last Thursday. I played with Canadians, they were brilliant. Taught me so much and were very patient with a complete novice. Eventually got a bit handy on defence (relative to their skill) and played physical. Managed to play that for the whole year. I miss it already and im only home

Ill hopefully get to link up with the Dublin Riot to get my fix of it here

P.S Go Canucks Go! :-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

I got into hockey thanks to the fact that my whole family are hockey fanatics. Some of my earliest memories are of being allowed to stay up late to watch the Sabres games with my mother. Then about eight years ago I got an opportunity to step between the pipes as a goaile in friendly roller hockey games. Also, I am from Buffalo. You know, the drinking town with a hockey problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 victap8

Was in 3rd class when I was a youngster and the 2 coaches from the team in town came over to the school to scout for new players, and I decided to give it go.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I've two uncles living in Calgary so the Flames were a natural choice. Also gotta love the hockey only city. Everyone loves the team :D

I've two uncles living in Calgary so the Flames were a natural choice. Also gotta love the hockey only city. Everyone loves the team :D

Its impossible not to get into hockey in Calgary. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Calgary is my reason for liking hockey, Edmonton also. Went there is '98 and picked up a jersey and hundreds of playing cards that I still have somewhere, and have had a love for the sport since.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Silver Clown

I spent some time studying abroad in Canada a few years ago and picked up an interest in the sport from there. I watched games from time to time once I came home but I never really picked a team to follow. With the NFL season almost gone with the labour dispute recently, I decided to start following the sport properly this year.

I still haven't picked a team yet, but I do like watching the pens, bruins (their rivalry with the canadiens is really entertaining to watch) and the blackhawks so I'll likely end up supporting one of those teams.

I spent some time studying abroad in Canada a few years ago and picked up an interest in the sport from there. I watched games from time to time once I came home but I never really picked a team to follow. With the NFL season almost gone with the labour dispute recently, I decided to start following the sport properly this year.

I still haven't picked a team yet, but I do like watching the pens, bruins (their rivalry with the canadiens is really entertaining to watch) and the blackhawks so I'll likely end up supporting one of those teams.

Welcome to the forum. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Silver Clown

Thanks for the welcome Joe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

I told a lie earlier on about how i got into hockey.

I saw this and I wanted to be able to do it. So I took up hockey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭shefellover93

Used have Actua Hockey on the Playstation and used always pick the New Jersey 'Angels' (And went on for a few years thinking that was their actual name :pac:) then got NHL 2003 on the ps2 and played that almost till the disc burned out on me :D Great soundtrack, great commentary, great game! Picked up NHL 08 a few years ago and played goalie mode but kinda lost interest after a while.

Got back into it when I heard about the scores in some of the Stanley Cup playoff games and heard about the epic goaltender battle that was going on. Picked the Bruins when I heard about Thomas' story and was glued to game 7. With the games coming to Setanta I started to get regular interest back and signed up for Roller Hockey in Cork with absolutely no experience. Tried out in goal and loving it (Despite the fact I've about 4 weeks skating experience :pac:) Hope to play a few games this year and getting the newest NHL this weekend. Not really keeping up to date with the Devils so much but have every game on the TV recorded and watching them when I get the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭crushproof

krissovo wrote: »
    Its impossible not to get into hockey in Calgary. :D

Lol, the exact reason i got into hockey, didn't like it at first but eventually realised I had to if I was to get along with anyone in work!
    was hoping the Flames would improve this season after their late surge last season but so far they've been pretty unimpressive :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

Grew up in Canada so I suppose its in the blood. Every kid there plays hockey, even if it is only on the street. Worst part about moving to Ireland was the lack of hockey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i first got the hockey bug back in the early 60s,as a merchant seaman on the canadain run,we spent a lot of time in ports of quebec,montreal,and toronto,no soccer on TV in those days,just the hockey between the molson[beer] adverts,favorite teams,blackhawks,and maple leafs,

Grew up in Canada so I suppose its in the blood. Every kid there plays hockey, even if it is only on the street. Worst part about moving to Ireland was the lack of hockey.

Loving the username. Fan of the McKenzie brothers, ey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 dw_newtown

my first exposure to ice hockey came from the sega mega drive game my cousin had, it was the international version i think.

Since then ive had a few NHL's over the years and always enjoy playing them as well as following them.

i have no team so to speak, but i really wanted the Canucks to win the stanley last year, but they are really bad losers!

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Again a new forum that I just found :

My love of hockey? Probably that I was born and lived in Canada for a few years , loved watching the skating and when i came here we were always brought to the rinks and I loved skating and nothing could put me off it.

Watched the mighty ducks as a kid, and adult, and love it , would love to have played hockey as a kid but Gran thought it was too dangerous and wouldn't let me...

I do however love watching hockey ... woo go Canucks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

dw_newtown wrote: »
    my first exposure to ice hockey came from the sega mega drive game my cousin had, it was the international version i think.

Since then ive had a few NHL's over the years and always enjoy playing them as well as following them.

i have no team so to speak, but i really wanted the Canucks to win the stanley last year, but they are really bad losers!

the canucks were gonna riot either way.. it was a shameful shameful experience.. but I guess it could have been anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sh1tin-a-brick

Am I allowed to revive this thing?

I'm starting to get into ice hockey now, I really want to learn to play. I always had a tiny interest in the back of my mind from watching Mighty Ducks (:rolleyes:) and other American programmes/films etc as a child. Went to Edmonton, Canada when I was ten. I was facinated by it and really wanted to go skating (didn't get the chance). We did a kind of indoor ice hockey in PE at school and I always loved it. Loved rollerblading too when I was wee. Finally got to go iceskating in Belfast one year and found that I could just do it, no falling or accidentally killing anyone! Been skating a few times and I love it. Stayed up to watch the hockey final of the Winter Olympics last year (shouting for Canada of course) and now I'm dying to get into the sport properly. Starting to follow New York Rangers now, but I have to have a soft spot for the Edmonton Oilers, have family links with Edmonton.

Hope we can get a good interest in ice hockey in Ireland! :pac:

Good taste in sport and bass players!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mart0

Sister moved to New Jersey about 8 years ago. Since then she has gotten crazy into hockey and brought me down with her. Got properly crazy over the top into it last year. I view it as the greatest sport in the world, Nothing tops it. I went to Game 2 of the SC finals a few months ago in Newark, One of the greatest experiences of my life. Go Devs.

• Advertisement

Mart0 wrote: »
    Sister moved to New Jersey about 8 years ago. Since then she has gotten crazy into hockey and brought me down with her. Got properly crazy over the top into it last year. I view it as the greatest sport in the world, Nothing tops it. I went to Game 2 of the SC finals a few months ago in Newark, One of the greatest experiences of my life. Go Devs.

Hurling tops it for me, but only hurling. :)

Advertisement