Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is everyone??

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

GREENLAND EXPRESS!!!!!! WOOHOO!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

if the Greenland Express is on the way Jake1 i hope you have the scones&jam at the ready :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

delw wrote: »
    if the Greenland Express is on the way Jake1 i hope you have the scones&jam at the ready :D

You may want to reconsider the name of the Greenland Express. I just posted a situation update on the early sunrises in Greenland and instead of being -31 there recently, it's been more like -5. What's the name of that town that in the coldest place on earth? Begins with an O.

As for Jake, she knows her place is in the kitchen so I'm sure that there will be scones and homemade jam for all. :D

You may want to reconsider the name of the Greenland Express. I just posted a situation update on the early sunrises in Greenland and instead of being -31 there recently, it's been more like -5. What's the name of that town that in the coldest place on earth? Begins with an O.

As for Jake, she knows her place is in the kitchen so I'm sure that there will be scones and homemade jam for all. :D

Place in kitchen AND on front of the screen. Theres crazy weather and Nature to watch :)

ALl over to mine ! Made a lovely apple tart tonight too, so the pickens are good. Ive gone all DOris Day-ish with all the baking :)

That Greenland sun thing, was strange enough and odd enough for the locals to be commenting on it.
    Strange times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

might be called "O****e were not the coldest place any more"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The place is Ojmjakon, in Siberia. Max temp Friday was -23.7C. Earlier this week it was well below -50C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

I predict a massive cold spell......on the weather forum activity that is...............

-50? bloody hell.Now thats cold.
    My organs would freeze.
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

O.M.G.

The 00:00 radar for the East Coast is showing EPIC amounts of...

5355341809_5c9d63c036.jpg

rain...

Just not the same is it? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Cleavage1970

I'm still here every day, just dont know enough about the techie end of things to join in :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Jake1 wrote: »
    Emmm, is there some new weather forum that I dont know about ? LOL its very quiet around these parts lately.

(go's checks other weather forums...)
    ;)
    :P

enjoying the weather ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

(lurks)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

Daily lurker still here too.
    Not sure my posting 'large cloud over sandymount' and such-like comments really add anything to the debate.

Respect to all of you who know your weather business though. You are being watched!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Emmm, is there some new weather forum that I dont know about ? LOL its very quiet around these parts lately.

;)

Its called post snow lull. For me I pop in and out everyday but after the exceptional weather we had the current weather pales into insignificance.
    I prefer it this way, it sorts the wheat out from the chaff.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

;)

I suspect that there's lurkers like me around the place watching MT's forecasts with interest, but there are also other issues like a 4 letter word W**K that get in the way of being here 24/7 :D

The other aspect is that the present weather while different is in comparison to November and December very boring and not particularly worth talking about much, whereas snow is different, doesn't happen too often, and causes all sorts of issues that people then get excited about for whatever reason.

There's still time for that to change again this winter, if the FI forecasts go where they are suggesting, things will be busy around here again before long :D

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I suspect that there's lurkers like me around the place watching MT's forecasts with interest, but there are also other issues like a 4 letter word W**K that get in the way of being here 24/7 :D

The other aspect is that the present weather while different is in comparison to November and December very boring and not particularly worth talking about much, whereas snow is different, doesn't happen too often, and causes all sorts of issues that people then get excited about for whatever reason.

There's still time for that to change again this winter, if the FI forecasts go where they are suggesting, things will be busy around here again before long :D

Steve

Maybe i spend too much time on AH, but i can think of two words that are spelt w**k . . .and only one of them is innocent . .:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

Maybe i spend too much time on AH, but i can think of two words that are spelt w**k . . .and only one of them is innocent . .:P

:eek:.............. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Ta me anseo freisin.....

Lurking earlier but decided just had to log in and be counted :D

Well the weather this evening on the west coast of Donegal, is wet and slightly breezy....

Rain drops kept falling on my head, shoulders, knees and toes....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

been rather busy lately, so have returned to lurking mode the last week or so. still knock in for mt's forecasts daily though! :)

really enjoying the mild temps! getting all the nasty little car related jobs done now in case the cold harsh wintry weather returns! (but can this wind ever just **** off now please)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I've lost interest in the weather, all I can see next week is that awful depressing anticyclonic gloom. I'd much prefer this mobile Atlantic regime to a stationary stagnant anticyclone.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭TFK

I lurk as I have no technical knowledge to add to conversations other than, it's snowing, it's raining, it's windy! However I do enjoy reading the posts here and I'm starting to understand weather a little better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

TFK wrote: »
    I lurk as I have no technical knowledge to add to conversations other than, it's snowing, it's raining, it's windy! However I do enjoy reading the posts here and I'm starting to understand weather a little better.

Yeah. Same here.
    I like the wind, howling nicely tonight here, West Waterford 200m asl. Don't mind the rain, but I need some kind of "daylight" glow every day, otherwise pretty p**d off tbh.
    I did get 2 burst pipes last cold spell, still, longing for the snow to return. Am up a hill, and pretty isolated, but I have snowchains, so not too worried :) It's all about being prepared.

Don't intend to become as knowledgeable as you guys, but some day I'll get a weather station and share on here. I'm in a pretty exposed location so it'd be interesting to compare with others elsewhere.

edit : MT's forecast has become a morning routine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

TFK wrote: »

A lot of people seems to be saying this, about not having enough technical knowledge to contribute, but my advice would be to actually have a go at trying to make your own forecasts if you are really interested.

It doesn't take very long to make a basic, reasonable 2/3 day forecast, just go to a good website,look at a model, jot down a quick note in Notepad about [how much rain, wind direction, wind speeds, temperature, anything unusual] what you think the weather is going to be like a few days from now and date it. If you do this everyday for a few minutes while your lurking you'll quickly get a feel for it.

Then you can just start adding little technical bits, like identifies fronts and using upper air maps, but you'll quickly realise the most difficult/technical concepts are not so important when it comes to make short range forecasts (unless its snowing of course)

I usually use http://www.ogimet.com/home.phtml.en for a quick forecast as it gives you a model and a visual, but there is a sticky full of links in the main forum.

If you just remember a few basics you should be fine:
    wind blows along the pressure lines
    --> clockwise around a HIGH pressure
    --> anti-clockwise around a LOW pressure

and the nearer the pressure lines are to each other the higher the wind speeds will be..
    and the rest you can read from the model, I hope someone finds this useful :D

(oh and the golden rule when looking at any chart in meteorology is.. first thing you do is check the date and time on the chart!! )

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭TFK

A lot of people seems to be saying this, about not having enough technical knowledge to contribute, but my advice would be to actually have a go at trying to make your own forecasts if you are really interested.

It doesn't take very long to make a basic, reasonable 2/3 day forecast, just go to a good website,look at a model, jot down a quick note in Notepad about [how much rain, wind direction, wind speeds, temperature, anything unusual] what you think the weather is going to be like a few days from now and date it. If you do this everyday for a few minutes while your lurking you'll quickly get a feel for it.

Then you can just start adding little technical bits, like identifies fronts and using upper air maps, but you'll quickly realise the most difficult/technical concepts are not so important when it comes to make short range forecasts (unless its snowing of course)

I usually use http://www.ogimet.com/home.phtml.en for a quick forecast as it gives you a model and a visual, but there is a sticky full of links in the main forum.

If you just remember a few basics you should be fine:
    wind blows along the pressure lines
    --> clockwise around a HIGH pressure
    --> anti-clockwise around a LOW pressure

and the nearer the pressure lines are to each other the higher the wind speeds will be..
    and the rest you can read from the model, I hope someone finds this useful :D

(oh and the golden rule when looking at any chart in meteorology is.. first thing you do is check the date and time on the chart!! )

I really really appreciate the information, maybe I will give it a go! Thank you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Don't mention it TFK, I'm glad to help. Forecasting is great once you get into it :)

And don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions, I mightn't have the answer but I'll be more than happy to try help

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Lurking and checking in on the daily forecasts,the weather here in the South East has been meh for a while now but 1st frosty morning in a while.

Advertisement