Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSF4 casuals @ xgc this weekend (15/16 Jan 2011)?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Heading in now, don't let the rain stop ye coming in lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'll be in some time between twelve and one hopefully.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Will be there in about 25 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Only just woke up, shouldn't have been online til 4 (5?) am. :rolleyes:

Will show up 3-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

Should be in, in an hour or so. Just awake awhile. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

GGs to Futureguy, a much better Deejay than I.

Did you and Doom manage a FT10 mirror?

GGs to everyone today, learned so much.

Dreddy, really nice Cammy and Zangief and thanks for the tips.

Uber, great to meet you and we were able to share lots of DeeJat strategy.

Chopper, nice Fuerte, very good to get some xp.

Doom, wp, it's clear that if I don't learn to be patient, I may as well give up the ghost.

Thanks to all who turned up, including the BBCS guys! Very enjoyable day.

GGs to Futureguy, a much better Deejay than I.

Did you and Doom manage a FT10 mirror?

Ahhhh..FT10 - First to ten...didnt know what it meant when Doom mentioned it last night! Now I get it...he beat me well in mirrors wuith a little patience and alot of skill. Biggest lesson of the day.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Ahhhh..FT10 - First to ten...didnt know what it meant when Doom mentioned it last night! Now I get it...he beat me well in mirrors wuith a little patience and alot of skill. Biggest lesson of the day.

You'll get there, you actually know way more B n B stuff with Deejay than me, it's just as I said I was able to make you move when I wanted so could use the ol' fundamentals.

S'all about controlling space in that mirror.

ggs all, nice to have a good long set futureguy, glad you appreciate the tips, never want to step on toes by giving advice that isn't wanted :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Thank you all who let me practice my kara-Tiger Uppercuts.

Even if most of them ended up being blocked :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

So much BB...good stuff =3

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat

Sorry I didn't get in lads. Was looking forward to it too.

This is the video I was talking about FutureGuy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PTgQeSG1oA

Might help your spacing game a bit.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    This is the video I was talking about FutureGuy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PTgQeSG1oA

Might help your spacing game a bit.

Thanks Dreddy. Your advice is always appreciated. There is no point in knowing all of a characters tricks when you are beaten by your own lack of knowledge of a particular strategy! Both yourself and Doom highlighted it as an area that needs improving, so thats going to be my focus.

Doom, can you explain the fundamentals of HOW you were able to make me move when you wanted. Dreddy, how/where did my lack of knowledge of spacing help you?

Well, a lot of rounds we played you'd just walk back, even at fullscreen - this pretty much allowed me to corner you whenever I wanted just by walking forwards, and the characters I play especially are very strong with a cornered opponent (though obviously every character benefits from being in that situation).

You gotta figure out what point on the screen you want the opponent to be relative to you and then focus your gameplan on putting/keeping them there. For zoning characters this is the point where you can throw fireballs safely and be able to punish them if they try and aggressively get around them (the video I linked gets this point across better than I can - a good Dhalsim is the perfect character to illustrate how to space your opponents properly).

You should try to crouch block a lot more for charge instead of walking backwards imo. This helps you in two ways: you're still fighting for your midscreen position rather than backing into the corner, and it gives you down charge for antiair as well as back charge for fireballs.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Thanks Dreddy. Your advice is always appreciated. There is no point in knowing all of a characters tricks when you are beaten by your own lack of knowledge of a particular strategy! Both yourself and Doom highlighted it as an area that needs improving, so thats going to be my focus.

Doom, can you explain the fundamentals of HOW you were able to make me move when you wanted. Dreddy, how/where did my lack of knowledge of spacing help you?

Basically, you were trying to engage me in a projectile war.

I was well aware of the speeds possible on the air slasher so whenever I decided I had enough meter built I'd switch to fierce sonic boom to put you under pressure and also I would step forward slightly to less than full screen.

I knew you had to either accept chip damage or jump from there on in.

If you've watched Ultradavid's video above, you'll understand that jumping into Guile's ST HP range is a really bad "zone" to get into. Guile has about 4 AAs that'll work in that range including the air throw so you should never ever jump in that range if a Guile's zoning you. Most people assume I am only happy sitting at full screen and TBH I have no problem with people believing that :)

Use a focus dash cancel through a boom or a long distance slide (short range is v risky and punishable).

The only really punishable boom is EX. if you sense one coming, it may be the only time it makes sense to jump in that range, although obviously it's still a big ol risk.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Well, a lot of rounds we played you'd just walk back, even at fullscreen - this pretty much allowed me to corner you whenever I wanted just by walking forwards, and the characters I play especially are very strong with a cornered opponent (though obviously every character benefits from being in that situation).

You gotta figure out what point on the screen you want the opponent to be relative to you and then focus your gameplan on putting/keeping them there. For zoning characters this is the point where you can throw fireballs safely and be able to punish them if they try and aggressively get around them (the video I linked gets this point across better than I can - a good Dhalsim is the perfect character to illustrate how to space your opponents properly).

You should try to crouch block a lot more for charge instead of walking backwards imo. This helps you in two ways: you're still fighting for your midscreen position rather than backing into the corner, and it gives you down charge for antiair as well as back charge for fireballs.

Yep, I need to crouch block alot more. I'm actually more consistent with max out from a crouching position. Basically, you should have to work hard to put me in a corner. By walking backwards, I'm doing alot of your hard work for you. You were quite aggressive with Cammy and I think I was trying to keep distance a bit too much.

Thanks Dreddy

Basically, you were trying to engage me in a projectile war.

I was well aware of the speeds possible on the air slasher so whenever I decided I had enough meter built I'd switch to fierce sonic boom to put you under pressure and also I would step forward slightly to less than full screen.

I knew you had to either accept chip damage or jump from there on in.

If you've watched Ultradavid's video above, you'll understand that jumping into Guile's ST HP range is a really bad "zone" to get into. Guile has about 4 AAs that'll work in that range including the air throw so you should never ever jump in that range if a Guile's zoning you. Most people assume I am only happy sitting at full screen and TBH I have no problem with people believing that :)

Use a focus dash cancel through a boom or a long distance slide (short range is v risky and punishable).

The only really punishable boom is EX. if you sense one coming, it may be the only time it makes sense to jump in that range, although obviously it's still a big ol risk.

Good advice Doom. I read before about Guile liking a position a little less than full screen and noticed you there, but didn't understand why you were doing it. Once I was able to get in on top of you, I was quite happy with things, but getting in on top of you with DeeJay is a tough ask.

I'll take everything on board and look to have a set with you soon if you are free! Thanks!

Advertisement