Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

....aaaaand he's been released.

Fecking idiot. I was glad he was back to toughen up our run defense, but we can't have this kind of dodgy crap from players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I got another. And I've 6 more on the way.

I have a problem.

e7AU6col.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

I got another. And I've 6 more on the way.

I have a problem.

Where did you get them? And how much if you don't mind me asking. Might get some myself have a shelf that needs filling.

JCTO wrote: »
    Where did you get them? And how much if you don't mind me asking. Might get some myself have a shelf that needs filling.

Can get them almost anywhere - NFLShop, Fantrax, Fanatics, Ebay. Amazon etc. They'll be a lot cheaper for you as you won't have to pay international shipping and customs!

• Advertisement

Hazys wrote: »

He was benched three times in 2013 because he played that bad and was deemed not good enough to make any team last season. If Bill is looking for another Talib, I don't think this guy is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He was benched three times in 2013 because he played that bad and was deemed not good enough to make any team last season. If Bill is looking for another Talib, I don't think this guy is it.
    There has to be some camp fodder, this guy is one of those but he gets a chance to prove he is worth a shot.

CelticsPatriotsMan with another fantastic video.

So now we know the reason why Butler hasn't been on the field during OTA's.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/the_blitz/2015/06/source_malcolm_butler_benched_by_patriots_due_to_missed_flight

He probably should have travelled earlier, but apparently all fights out of Atalanta were grounded due to the weather. He was already at the airport when that happened and he immediately told the team. It's one thing making a point with some discipline, but keeping him off the field for three weeks of OTA's is ridiculous and way OTT imo.

With Bill you got to be getting on a flight 2-3 days before you are due back. No sympathy for him. Weather or no weather when it comes to Bill you gots to make sure you are at practice on time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

With Bill you got to be getting on a flight 2-3 days before you are due back. No sympathy for him. Weather or no weather when it comes to Bill you gots to make sure you are at practice on time.

whilst I agree with the argument of making sure to be there on time, the punishment is far too much IMO. We need to blood the corners in, and here we are giving one of our potential first choices being out of action. sit him out for the day he missed, but leave it at that. I dont see what is to be gained by leaving him out for so long. maybe its Bills way of grounding the superstar who would have had a whirlwind off season and went from 0 to hero in the space of 6 seconds. most players gradually build up to a point, but Butler went from way down to above what even most NFL players ever experience, so it would have been a massive change in his life so quickly. Even if it was that, similar to Jonas Gray getting a grounding, I still think it is too much.

I agree with you bruschi, sit him out for a day and make a point. But three weeks is complete nonsense imo. I was hoping for Butler to become a starting corner for us in September and what Bill did could be viewed detrimental to his development and even the team. Especially when we lost 4 CB's this offseason and Butler is probably our most naturally ball hawking CB on the roster. So cutting off your nose to spite your face in nonsensical.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Last year Jonas Grey came on and ran for 200 yards in one game with four touchdowns I think it was.

He turned up late with the excuse of bad weather and never started another game for the rest of the season. The final result? We won the Superbowl.

I really don't understand how anybody can form an opinion that BB is being too harsh when we continue to have success like we do. Imo this is one of the reasons we are so successful.

It might look harsh from our comfy position but these guys are professional athletes and they are paid big money to do their jobs. There really is no excuse for him not turning up on time. He should have been looking ahead and planning his return to Foxboro and getting there earlier if there was a chance that he could get delayed by bad weather. I'd be quite sure Bill checked all of this before going so hard on him.

Also in Butler's case we really don't know how he is doing. This is a young guy that caught an interception which won the Superbowl. It's quite possible that he got a big head after that and BB might just be planting his feet firmly back on planet earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

The guy would have been plenty early but an act of God delayed him. We've also got no CB's and we bench probably our guy with the most talent for three weeks and that's just stupid imo. Gray was more or less benched for the season for being late. Yet he didn't bench Revis for the season for sleeping in and missing practice. So much for Bills claim to always treat every player the same.

Tim Wright released http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/11/report-patriots-release-tim-wright/

6 TDs last year and cheap but he doesn't make the 90 man roster and Hooman who makes 3x as much does

Writing was on the wall for Wright with Chandler, Davis and others coming in. We predominantly recruited pass catching tight ends which said a lot about our comfort with the position. That, and the fact that Wright played little to no snaps in the run-in last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Writing was on the wall for Wright with Chandler, Davis and others coming in. We predominantly recruited pass catching tight ends which said a lot about our comfort with the position. That, and the fact that Wright played little to no snaps in the run-in last year.

I dont really understand it, from what i remember he caught the few balls thrown his way. Wonder if he got on BBs bad side of maybe didnt grasp the entire scheme.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Last year Jonas Grey came on and ran for 200 yards in one game with four touchdowns I think it was.

He turned up late with the excuse of bad weather and never started another game for the rest of the season. The final result? We won the Superbowl.

I really don't understand how anybody can form an opinion that BB is being too harsh when we continue to have success like we do. Imo this is one of the reasons we are so successful.

It might look harsh from our comfy position but these guys are professional athletes and they are paid big money to do their jobs. There really is no excuse for him not turning up on time. He should have been looking ahead and planning his return to Foxboro and getting there earlier if there was a chance that he could get delayed by bad weather. I'd be quite sure Bill checked all of this before going so hard on him.

Also in Butler's case we really don't know how he is doing. This is a young guy that caught an interception which won the Superbowl. It's quite possible that he got a big head after that and BB might just be planting his feet firmly back on planet earth.

Nail on head. Butler saw what happened with Gray last season. With Bill you got to be on time. Was the penalty too harsh possible but not my place to say I don't coach the team. From a fans perspective it is harsh but we all know as Pats fans you don't get on Bill's bad side and that includes getting to practice on time.

Lucky for Butler these are only OTAs right now and not at the start of the season.

Tim Wright released http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/11/report-patriots-release-tim-wright/

6 TDs last year and cheap but he doesn't make the 90 man roster and Hooman who makes 3x as much does

I honestly thought he would have more impact but he never got enough time on the field or built up a real relationship with Brady. Shame.

empacher wrote: »
    I dont really understand it, from what i remember he caught the few balls thrown his way. Wonder if he got on BBs bad side of maybe didnt grasp the entire scheme.

Another chin stroking move, Wright did everything that was asked of him last season and did pretty well. He didn't put a foot wrong and now's he's gone . He's a much better offensive weapon than hoo man and yet hoo man stays confused.png.
    as Pats fans you don't get on Bill's bad side and that includes getting to practice on time.

Unless your second name is Revis and then you'll get off lightly.

• Advertisement

We have no idea how well Wright picked up the play book. His touchdowns were all red zone plays and he was wide open for nearly all of them. His limited use suggests that he actually just wasn't picking things up.

I don't think he's any great loss. His stats look fine, but none of those touchdowns were particularly great plays by him.

Pats sign Matt Flynn.

Not surprising but thought it would have happened sooner before OTAs. I don't think its a knock on Jimmy G because if TB12 does miss the first four games we can roll with just one untested QB on the roster.

Pats sign Matt Flynn.

Not surprising but thought it would have happened sooner before OTAs. I don't think its a knock on Jimmy G because if TB12 does miss the first four games we can roll with just one untested QB on the roster.

Same here, I'd thought we'd pick up a vet QB before the OTA's but at least we sorted it now. The Gilbert guy who would have been backing up Jimmy G, couldn't even throw the ball. So it's good to have some vet cover just in case.

Not sure of what to make of the Wright move, physically he wasn't a pure TE and he couldn't block to save his life. Still he did his job when he was asked and you couldn't have asked for any more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Ah lads, Flynn really? That ****er can only work in greenbay

Ah lads, Flynn really? That ****er can only work in greenbay

He won't ever see the field. If Brady misses games, Jimmy G starts. Flynn is only in as a back up to Jimmy G, in the event of anything happening to him. If Brady ends up not missing games, then I expect Flynn to be cut.

The signing of Flynn is also to show Jimmy that we will go elsewhere if he doesn't earn his spot. Healthy competition from a Vet.

There has been mixed opinions of how Jimmy is performing in the OTAs so far also.

There has been mixed opinions of how Jimmy is performing in the OTAs so far also.

Apart from a bit of knicker twisting from the usual Pats hating, deflategate hyping ESPN. I didn't see anything unduly negative from credible sources. Anybody making a big deal out any QB throwing a few Int's at the end of an OTA practice, is probably just overreacting a tad.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,689 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Matt Flynn ? It's amazing how much money one man can get from holding a clip board on an NFL sideline. How much was he got over a couple of years ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Matt Flynn ? It's amazing how much money one man can get from holding a clip board on an NFL sideline. How much was he got over a couple of years ?

roughly 14-20 million since he left packers the first time I think

• Advertisement

Vandango wrote: »
    Apart from a bit of knicker twisting from the usual Pats hating, deflategate hyping ESPN. I didn't see anything unduly negative from credible sources. Anybody making a big deal out any QB throwing a few Int's at the end of an OTA practice, is probably just overreacting a tad.

If you read PFW OTA updates there was concern with Jimmy's two minute drills. For the most part in the 7v7 and other walkthroughs he looked good but under pressure in the 2 minute drill he was struggling at times. PFW weren't the only reporting on the issue. And with Bill and co you know how much pride in how we run 2min drill and hurry up offenses. I wouldn't say it is a major concern but signing Flynn will hopefully get Jimmy on par by giving him a healthy kick up the ass. After all we need him firing on all cylinders if he is going to replace Brady.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement