Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

also meant to say change the lease time setting so that its full of 9s

ie press and hold 9 until that field is completly full, then click apply, go to a different page and back in there and the setting should be set to -1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

yeah it changed to -1

Tried it again, failed again :(

thats very strange

is it only happening on wireless or wired? sounds to me like you've a faulty router.

I had the same problem with the 1 resetting thing, but quite regularly have problems with the router and it ends up resetting itself or i do.

thats usually one of the first settings i change, along with the wireless ssid, channel and passwords.

then i disable the flood detection and enable NAT and DMZ host.

when you set that setting, does it stop working straight away?

Generally after setting that, it may or may not need a reboot but shouldnt disconnect you regardless.

when you apply the lease time and reboot do all the lights successfully come on on the modem or does it keep restarting?

Im thinking there's either an issue with your modem or an intermittant issue with the cabling (noise levels too high maybe)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

yep as soon as I do that it sets up the network, but i cant connect to it. UPC are giving us a call tomorrow anywho.. thanks anyway! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Laughing Marcus

Hi all,

To all those who have been having trouble with Megaupload and UPC try this:

Go to your Megauplaod account settings and set the port to 800 and tick the direct downlaod box.

Also unplug your router for a few minutes then reconnect it and press the reset button on the back of it.

I and the 5 people I live with are all heavy internet users and for the past month we have been getting slow download speeds from Megaupload. It was fine before that but then things went bad.

After crawling a load of internet forums for solutions the simple setting change on megaupload and off/on for the router sorted it.

I've tried this with MegaManager, JDownloader and Internet Downlaod Manager and they all work fine now while before this MegaManager gave constant low speeds as did IDM and JDownloader would time out endlessly.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I'm on UPC 30mb with premium Megaupload.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dark Nex

NRDx wrote: »
    hi guys,

dont know what im doing wrong here but ive followed numerous guides from these boards trying to get my EPC2425 set up in bridging mode to let my dd-wrt router do the real work.

before i do any of this i setup a static ip address on my wired interface to 192.168.1.100, i do everything else using wired interface

Here is what i have done

1 - setup the EPC2425 (192.168.100.1 ) setup tab -> gateway mode -> set to bridge
    2 - plugin the ethernet cable on the EPC2425 into one of the 4 ethernet ports on the back.
    3 - plug the other end of the cable into the WAN port on the dd-wrt router
    4 - now on the dd-wrt Setup -> Basic Setup -> Wan Connection Type -> Disabled

5 - Network Setup , Router setup as below
    • router ip - 192.168.1.2
    • subnet mask - 255.255.255.0
    • gateway - 192.168.1.1
    • localDNS - 192.168.1.1
    5 - WAN port -> Assign WAN Port to Switch -> checked
    6 - DHCP enabled
    7 - dns servers - 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
    8 - Setup -> advanced routing -> Operating Mode = Router

ive played around with these settings somewhat but i think i am missing the right combination. Can anyone shed some light or does anyone else have this working with a EP2425 and DD-WRT setup?

Thanks
    i have the cisco router working with the dd-wrt router
    looking at your setup your default gateway on the dd-wrt router is wrong u need to specify the cisco router's LAN address (192.168.100.1) and local dns on the cisco router should be blank (upc will put one in automatically)

also on the cisco router u need to disable dhcp mode and wireless mode
    set the dd-wrt router to do dhcp and wireless to avoid ip conflicts and primary dns to 8.8.8.8 and secondary to 8.8.4.4.

Thinking about doing this tonight because a board member suggested above that it would fix my two xboxs NAT problem. If I turn the EPC2425 into a modem and run a belkin router from it, will I be able to connect both xboxs with a wired connection through ethernet cable and ports on the Belkin? Or does turning the EPC2425 into a modem only allow for wireless connections on the Belkin?

i think you might have problems withi this one, specifically because you need to NAT xbox live back to one xbox.

i would suggest in your case upnp should resolve your issue rathen than multiple modems/routers

i think you might have problems withi this one, specifically because you need to NAT xbox live back to one xbox.

i would suggest in your case upnp should resolve your issue rathen than multiple modems/routers

The NATs are still closing even with upnp enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Liam_82

Hi there can anyone help me? I'm trying to use the remote config management feature on the cisco epc2425.

The problem is when I log on to the web interface from a remote computer it won't accept my credentials. I've checked my password, it's definitely right, do I need some kind of username? I've been leaving it blank and just putting in my password.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

I'm switching this week. Do you just ask the engineer for the Thompson router?

• Advertisement

have you unpn enabled on the xboxes.

i have a funny feeling you're going to have trouble running two at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Dark Nex wrote: »
    Thinking about doing this tonight because a board member suggested above that it would fix my two xboxs NAT problem. If I turn the EPC2425 into a modem and run a belkin router from it, will I be able to connect both xboxs with a wired connection through ethernet cable and ports on the Belkin? Or does turning the EPC2425 into a modem only allow for wireless connections on the Belkin?

When the EPC2425 is switched to bridge mode, it acts as just a modem. When you have a dedicated router connected, it will act as both an ethernet router and a wireless access point.
    The NATs are still closing even with upnp enabled.

Not if you have a decent router connected. I had issues with UPNP on that modem too.
    Liam_82 wrote: »
    Hi there can anyone help me? I'm trying to use the remote config management feature on the cisco epc2425.

The problem is when I log on to the web interface from a remote computer it won't accept my credentials. I've checked my password, it's definitely right, do I need some kind of username? I've been leaving it blank and just putting in my password.

I have not used that feature on that modem. I can check it out this evening and post back for you then.
    dent wrote: »
    I'm switching this week. Do you just ask the engineer for the Thompson router?

Are you on the 100Mb package? If you are, then you'll get the Thompson as part of the 80€ installation fee. With other packages, I have encountered some people who have twisted UPCs arm in order to replace their crappy EPC2425 with the Thompson, at the cost of 80€. However, if its the 10/20/30mb package you've signed up for, and are outside of dublin, chances are, the engineer won't have a spare Thompson in the van. Best to ask UPC for it over the phone before an engineer install is booked.

roast wrote: »
    When the EPC2425 is switched to bridge mode, it acts as just a modem. When you have a dedicated router connected, it will act as both an ethernet router and a wireless access point.

Not if you have a decent router connected. I had issues with UPNP on that modem too.

Could you recommend a router that would be good for my problem? Which router do you have?

Could you recommend a router that would be good for my problem? Which router do you have?

I've had many routers... probably the best of the bunch I have would be the Edmax 3g-3200wg, the Netgear WNR2000 v2 and my favorite, the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND. The TP-Link also supports open-source firmware such as Tomato, DD-WRT, OpenWRT etc. Nice unit.

There is no option on my EPC2425 for bridge mode!!! Most people say go to Basic Settings > Gateway but there is no Gateway option in my basic settings?!! Does this mean I can't put my EPC2425 into bridge mode??? Just about had enough of all this at this stage. . .

EDIT: Solved this retarded problem by clicking a link to 192.168.1.100/Gateway Mode. I'm going to see if simply leaving the EPC2425 in bridge mode as a modem will fix the two xboxs closed NAT problem. If not I'll get a router and attach it.

There is no option on my EPC2425 for bridge mode!!! Most people say go to Basic Settings > Gateway but there is no Gateway option in my basic settings?!! Does this mean I can't put my EPC2425 into bridge mode??? Just about had enough of all this at this stage. . .

EDIT: Solved this retarded problem by clicking a link to 192.168.1.100/Gateway Mode. I'm going to see if simply leaving the EPC2425 in bridge mode as a modem will fix the two xboxs closed NAT problem. If not I'll get a router and attach it.

Its not going to make any difference until a router is attached.

Just going some research here, i don't think you're going to be able to have multiple xboxes online at any one time due to a limitation with NAT. YOu will probably find you will require multiple public IP addresses which home broadband providers don't genreally give.

the two xboxes will be published on the internet with one IP address, when data comes from the internet to your broadband modem/router it will generally ship all that traffic to the first xbox that connected over upnp or if you have a static dmz host it will send all traffic to that.

there may be a possibility to change the cisco to bridge mode and add in another router that is xbox live compatible

here is a guide that may help: http://www.techknowlogy.jigsy.com/

i thinkt however though that the limitation will lie with UPC and the cisco modem, you may find a workround with static DHCP, Portforwarding & Port triggers but im not overly sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 davidindublin

Hi
    Im just about to change from

Eircom next generation 8Mb broadband
    and advanced talktime.
    Getting 6.93 mb / 0.42 mb on wireless laptop
    6.91 mb/ 0.43 mb on NEW wired desktop
    Have a new motorola, eircom wireless modem and had no problems

Im changing to

UPC 30 mg and anytime world telephone

They have sent me the UPC EPC2425 modem that everyone seems to hate .

Should I cancel my order ?

David
    (I hope this is the right forum)

Hi
    Im just about to change from

Eircom next generation 8Mb broadband
    and advanced talktime.
    Getting 6.93 mb / 0.42 mb on wireless laptop
    6.91 mb/ 0.43 mb on NEW wired desktop
    Have a new motorola, eircom wireless modem and had no problems

Im changing to

UPC 30 mg and anytime world telephone

They have sent me the UPC EPC2425 modem that everyone seems to hate .

Should I cancel my order ?

David
    (I hope this is the right forum)

You're moving from Eircom... it would be ridiculous to cancel your UPC order. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 davidindublin

Ill take that as a green light....thanks Roast....although I had no real problem with Eircom....maybe my expectations are too low :)

• Advertisement

Ill take that as a green light....thanks Roast....although I had no real problem with Eircom....maybe my expectations are too low :)
    No problem!
    Most people don't have have problems with Eircom at all. Until they use UPC (or any Cable net connection). You'll soon realise it is far better than your Eircom connection. :) Best of Luck! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kingbob387

Having some serious trouble with this crappy router/modem.

First of all, my internet started disconnecting randomly, it would work for like 10 - 30 mins then disconnect me. I am connected to the internet via a Belkin router, I had wireless network disabled on the modem. I though it was the Belkin router's problem so I unplugged it and tried enabling the wireless network on the modem again, but once I have it enabled, I can't connect to the network! Wireless is simply not working on the modem for me. I can connect to the internet if I plug in the enthernet cable, but wireless won't work! This started happening 3 days ago and it's extremely annoying, can anyone help me please? Don't hesistate to ask me questions, I want to get this fixed ASAP.

P.S: I am connecting to the internet using the Belkin router, but it will disconnect me randomly and I would have to restart the router to fix that.

Regards, Kingbob.

Have u the epc modem in bridge mode?

Also turn the wireless off on the epc and change the wireless channel on the belkin, ensure your passwords are correct for the wireless as well.

Sometimes if you endure the password wrong it will try to connect, say connected but not give u an address.

Modem is not in bridge mode, 'cause I am using their phone service aswell.

Password for the wireless network is 100% identitcal to the one on the modem, I can connect to the modem, but can't get any internet connection at all.

I think that's probably why you're having issues. Try just using the UPC modem and nt the belkin

Have u disabled the UPC wifi after enabling the belkin?

Have u got the wep/wpa configuration the same?

Have u disbaled dhcp on the belkin

Ok, I tried unplugging the Belkin, and using the modem's wireless capabilities. I ran into a odd problem. I have a PC and a laptop, I can't connect to it with the PC, yet I can with my laptop and iPod. When I am connected with the laptop, and I try connect with the PC, the wireless network just fails and won't let the PC connect.

WPA configurations are different, using different passwords. And I do have the wireless of the modem turned off while using the Belkin, I had it turned off since I got the Belkin, it worked flawlessly until 3 days ago.

And I just disabled DHCP on the belkin, let's hope this works so I don't have to go back to UPC's customer support. It's one piece of **** compared to asking for help on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jaredGalen

I have been having trouble this week with my modem/router this week too.

To try and get around it I wired another linksys router up and setup another wireless router, letting the upc one handle the dhcp.

My upc modem/router is still giving me grief. Is it just coincidence some people started having similar trouble this week?

I think it's just coincidence, 'cause I managed to get the upc modem/router working wifi and all, it's the Belkin router having problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 dh91

Hi

I just got UPC 30mb installed today and I'm having problems. Any time I try to download something from anywhere, it always ends up dropping to less than 50kb/s in a matter of seconds.

I've tried turning off IP Flood and whatnot, nothing's worked so far.

I've used different speed tests and gotten perfect results (28-29mb down and 2.8 or so up), yet nothing downloads fast at all. Literally have no idea what could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Coyler

Just got my epc2425 reset to defaults. Not a huge deal but I still have to turn back on upnp and lengthen the DCHP lease time to get everything back in order. Odd thing was the IP Flood Detection in the firewall menu was unchecked. Are UPC messing around with the settings or is this some internal setting in the router accessible by another (admin?) menu?

I'd prefer not to have to babysit my router as these should really be fire-and-forget technologies at this stage.

Advertisement