Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tallaght not as bad as you think

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Yeah Kilnamanagh is one of the better areas I would say (I thought it was mostly private housing, not sure though). I just meant in general that large housing estates seem to breed these kind of problems, so having one the largest in Europe in your area isn't really cool.

Edit: According to Wikipedia, its the largest private housing estate in Europe. Although there isn't a citation for that, so might not be true

It would be kind of difficult to get rid of housing estates, tbh, seeing as they're everywhere so that would mean the "problem" isn't just with Tallaght, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,131 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I've lived in Tallaght for the majority of my life. I was raised there and by the time I was a teenager stuff like the Square, Tallaght Hospital and decent Dublin Bus services were up and running along with other amenities and services. As such, I have no problem with it. I'm used to it and it's home.

But I'd be mad if I tried to claim that it is as good as any other part of Dublin, or claimed that the "character" of people make up the difference. No, Tallaght is not a slum in the sense of what you'll see when you do a bit of travelling outside Ireland. But it's all relative and, while you can live happily in any part of Tallaght really, you have more things to be aware of than you would in other places.

Anecdotal evidence: I was back living in my parents house a couple of years ago and a friend of mine (from Mount Merrion) dropped by to pick me up on the way to something or another. I needed to drop into my local shop across the road, so we drove over, parked the car and went in and out to get what we needed. Nothing out of the ordinary that I could see. About 20 minutes down the road on our way my mate turned to me and said "hmm, your local shop is pretty grim".

Now, you may say 'oh that says as much about him as it does Tallaght or you (us)' and you are of course correct. But that someone would even think that speaks of something.

As to the original post on this topic - I would be of the opinion that it's a bad thing to live in the very same place your whole life regardless of whether it is a nice area or not! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Tallaght is bleedin rapih and youse are all muppehs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

*ahem* it's "rapeh"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Lorrs33 wrote: »
    It would be kind of difficult to get rid of housing estates, tbh, seeing as they're everywhere so that would mean the "problem" isn't just with Tallaght, is it?

Where did I say it's just Tallaght? All I was saying that IMO having one the largest estates in Europe is hardly a reason to be proud of your area. There's cooler things about Tallaght than a big housing estate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

I wonder is that where the word "trun" came from as in throw.I remember some bird saying she was going to "trun" a rock at me:confused:

I wonder is that where the word "trun" came from as in throw.I remember some bird saying she was going to "trun" a rock at me:confused:

Trun is past tense. As in: "Who trun da bleedin bottle?"

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

Why is that cool? It's huge housing estates with minimal facilties that cause a lot of the social problems associated with parts of Tallaght!
    I'm also from Tallaght and have experienced the 'look' you get from some people when they find out where you're from. Doesn't bother me TBH, some parts of Tallaght are pretty rough in fairness. Unfortunately it's these areas that get all the publicity so I don't blame people for having misconceptions about it

There ya go!
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I've lived in Tallaght for the majority of my life. I was raised there and by the time I was a teenager stuff like the Square, Tallaght Hospital and decent Dublin Bus services were up and running along with other amenities and services. As such, I have no problem with it. I'm used to it and it's home.

But I'd be mad if I tried to claim that it is as good as any other part of Dublin, or claimed that the "character" of people make up the difference. No, Tallaght is not a slum in the sense of what you'll see when you do a bit of travelling outside Ireland. But it's all relative and, while you can live happily in any part of Tallaght really, you have more things to be aware of than you would in other places.

Anecdotal evidence: I was back living in my parents house a couple of years ago and a friend of mine (from Mount Merrion) dropped by to pick me up on the way to something or another. I needed to drop into my local shop across the road, so we drove over, parked the car and went in and out to get what we needed. Nothing out of the ordinary that I could see. About 20 minutes down the road on our way my mate turned to me and said "hmm, your local shop is pretty grim".

Now, you may say 'oh that says as much about him as it does Tallaght or you (us)' and you are of course correct. But that someone would even think that speaks of something.

As to the original post on this topic - I would be of the opinion that it's a bad thing to live in the very same place your whole life regardless of whether it is a nice area or not! :)

No it pretty much shows what a lame and pointless remark that was. I forgot how vibrant and cheerful every shop in Mount Merrion looks.

And how old do you think I am?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

What's the roughest estate in tallaght ? Is it springfield ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

My bf moved from jobstown to finglas 13years ago gives me hours of entertainment winding him up:D having said that id feel safer walking from the bus stop to his house at night on my own then i would waiting for a bus at the dart station in bray in the dark when Shamrock Rovers fans are heading home after a match with Wanderers or the gangs of Dublin lads head home from their knacker drinking and arson sessions on Bray head of a Summer weekend.

FYP :D

I live around the corner from the station and I hear of more trouble at Shankill station than Bray tbh.

Bray may be an example of local government incompetance, of wasted potential and the whole place could do with some demolitions and a few coats of paint etc :D but I wouldn't live anywhere else. I think for the 4th largest town/city in Ireland with a population of over 33,000 we have less scumbag problems than would normally be expected for a town our size. Do you see a lot of the trackie wearing demographic about the place? Yes indeed, but ours seem to be better behaved than a lot of towns.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

ricero wrote: »
    Rossfield imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Fortunestown/Kiltalown part of Jobstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I just meant in general that large housing estates seem to breed these kind of problems, so having one the largest in Europe in your area isn't really cool.
    Why is that cool? It's huge housing estates with minimal facilties that cause a lot of the social problems associated with parts of Tallaght!
    There ya go!

I still don't see where I said it was only in Tallaght that these problems happen. Parts of Tallaght are lovely, but there are some parts that aren't, same as many other areas in the country. I don't get a chip on my shoulder about people thinking the worst, why wouldn't they when probably the only time they see Tallaght in the news is in relation to a negative news story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Its irelands biggest lengerie section housing estate i understand

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Tallaght is a complete ****hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Tallaght is a festering cesspool of lazy, dole scroungers unmarried mothers fleecing the soical welfare system, fatherless, feral scumbags who have an air of entitlement and exist in a consequence free environment. Tallaght is a hotbed of innate criminality.

If the people of Tallaght had any regard for the place (they don't) they wouldn't let the hordes of young thugs wander round in their tracksuits like it was an olympic village. The people of Tallaght don't live they exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

There ya go!

What facilities are missing?

Tallaght is a festering cesspool of lazy, dole scroungers unmarried mothers fleecing the soical welfare system, fatherless, feral scumbags who have an air of entitlement and exist in a consequence free environment. Tallaght is a hotbed of innate criminality.

If the people of Tallaght had any regard for the place (they don't) they wouldn't let the hordes of young thugs wander round in their tracksuits like it was an olympic village. The people of Tallaght don't live they exist.

Needs more foreigner bashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I did my driving test twice and Tallaght and failed both times.
    All I can say is its an awful place to do your driving test.

I did it in Rathgar after that and passed! So if you wanna do your driving test in Dublin, do it in Rathgar!

I did it in Rathgar after that and passed! So if you wanna do your driving test in Dublin, do it in Rathgar!

there's no shame in having to make 3 attempts at a driving test.

the roads are full of bad drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

Wow. And what makes where you're from any better? Im sure your area has downsides too and talk about sweeping generalisations! Not everyone from Tallaght is as you described above. The majority of people i've encountered who live in Tallaght are hard working, friendly, modest and law abiding.

Also damn kids are on my lawn and stuff costs more than it used to!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I did mine in Tallaght and passed with flying colours first time. You can't blame Tallaght for your bad driving... or English.

^Yup, I realised that typo after I posted it, couldn't be bothered going back and editing it...
    ntlbell wrote: »
    there's no shame in having to make 3 attempts at a driving test.

the roads are full of bad drivers.

I'll accept the first time I was doing my test, I was only driving for 2 months and I didn't even have my own car so I wasn't expecting to pass anyway.
    The second time, I was a much better driver but the examiner was an absolute prick!! He was a grumpy old man who just wanted to fail me. I was pretty pissed off...

Third time in Rathgar I had a nice lady who passed me... So it was all good!!
    If only my car's battery hadn't gone flat, I'ld like to go on a nice drive sometime... I like the weather like this. Not too cold, a bit of rain and such...

NothingMan wrote: »

I did mine in Tallaght and passed with flying colours first time. You can't blame Tallaght for your bad driving... or English.

me too. It was my bike test and i was warned your man was a nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Tallaght is a festering cesspool of lazy, dole scroungers unmarried mothers fleecing the social welfare system, fatherless, feral scumbags who have an air of entitlement and exist in a consequence free environment. Tallaght is a hotbed of innate criminality.

Get a grip on yourself mr orlando, Tallaght is not just a suberb its a mini city and as in all cities you get all types of people,for you to be generalising about the people of tallaght is just ridiculous and unfair.

I'll accept the first time I was doing my test, I was only driving for 2 months and I didn't even have my own car so I wasn't expecting to pass anyway.
    The second time, I was a much better driver but the examiner was an absolute prick!! He was a grumpy old man who just wanted to fail me. I was pretty pissed off...

[/quotes]

What's any of that got to with tallaght?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Third time in Rathgar I had a nice lady who passed me... So it was all good!!
    If only my car's battery hadn't gone flat, I'ld like to go on a nice drive sometime... I like the weather like this. Not too cold, a bit of rain and such...

How did you know the grumpy old man was from tallaght,and as has been said already you pass or fail on your ability to drive , nothing else.

Glad your enjoying the weather, ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Hmmm

• Advertisement

realies wrote: »
    How did you know the grumpy old man was from tallaght,and as has been said already you pass or fail on your ability to drive , nothing else.

Glad your enjoying the weather, ;)
    Dunno, he might not have been from there, most people I know who did their driving test in Tallaght failed and then they managed to pass somewhere else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement