Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

campaign for a UFC return to Dublin Ireland 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Do it really matter where the UFC put on their shows to them?It's all about the PPV.If they can put together 250k to 500k PPV they would have it anywhere:rolleyes:

Edit it's 2 years ago to the day 17/01/09 that they came here

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I find it mad that people's desire for the UFC to return to Ireland affects their common sense so much. Do people actually believe that Ireland is a good choice for the UFC, or is that what that wish was the case.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love them to return (although its not of paticular benefit to me, but I can't complain either given my location) but I can remove emotions from the situation and look at it from a realistic viewpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Mellor wrote: »
    I find it mad that people's desire for the UFC to return to Ireland affects their common sense so much. Do people actually believe that Ireland is a good choice for the UFC, or is that what that wish was the case.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love them to return (although its not of paticular benefit to me, but I can't complain either given my location) but I can remove emotions from the situation and look at it from a realistic viewpoint.

That's cos a lot of the people wanting it to return are the boggers from Cork and they've never been on a plane or out of the country before. Hence there reluctance to travel over the water for an event ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Do people actually believe that Ireland is a good choice for the UFC,

Yes, UFC might well have as much desire to expand their product to new markets as to reaffirm old ones. Off the top of my head, if you take the UK and Ireland as one mass market, we're probably the best served locations other than the United States itself. Yes, UFC definitely has ambitions to go to Japan and Brazil but there is no reason they can't have one show per year in Ireland/UK.

The problem with the Irish market is we seem to have only 2 potential venues, the one in Belfast and the o2/point depot in dublin. the o2 has to be booked well in advance, and as you imply, dublin isn't a top priority, thus it's probably not that realistic that the ufc will return soon. but i dont think it's because they see us as a "been there, done that" territory and don't give a ****.

Yes, UFC might well have as much desire to expand their product to new markets as to reaffirm old ones. Off the top of my head, if you take the UK and Ireland as one mass market, we're probably the best served locations other than the United States itself. Yes, UFC definitely has ambitions to go to Japan and Brazil but there is no reason they can't have one show per year in Ireland/UK.

The problem with the Irish market is we seem to have only 2 potential venues, the one in Belfast and the o2/point depot in dublin. the o2 has to be booked well in advance, and as you imply, dublin isn't a top priority, thus it's probably not that realistic that the ufc will return soon. but i dont think it's because they see us as a "been there, done that" territory and don't give a ****.
    I totally agree that at least 1 a year in UK/Ireland, tbh, I'd actually expect more than that.
    And I wasn't suggesting a been there done that attitude btw.

But they prob view ireland exacty as you grouped above, as an extension of the UK market.
    Dublin is just one city in the mix of London (120 & 95), Manchester (105), Birmingham (89), Newcastle (80), Belfast (72)

So while we should really get one before a return to London, or even manchester, but all four are probab in the mix together for the next european card.

Now, you have Scotland to please also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I totally agree that at least 1 a year in UK/Ireland, tbh, I'd actually expect more than that.
    And I wasn't suggesting a been there done that attitude btw.

But they prob view ireland exacty as you grouped above, as an extension of the UK market.
    Dublin is just one city in the mix of London (120 & 95), Manchester (105), Birmingham (89), Newcastle (80), Belfast (72)

So while we should really get one before a return to London, or even manchester, but all four are probab in the mix together for the next european card.

Now, you have Scotland to please also

Don't forget 38 & 75 in London & 70 in Manchester

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Rob Carry

Yes Mellor, we want the UFC to return so much that we turn into idiots every time we think about it.

Ireland was a good choice two years ago, (after which Dana said he wanted to do it again) so it will be a good choice again at some stage.

It's a shame it's all too common these days to see someone arguing so vehemently as to why their country isn't worth taking notice of. Have to say, there's something quite sad about Irish UFC fans whining about and undermining a campaign to bring the UFC back to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mma_ireland

Follow on Twitter @mma_ireland http://twitter.com/#!/mma_ireland

Be our friend on Facebook www.facebook.com/home.php#!/mma.ireland.ufc

Lads if we don't try how long are we going to be waiting for the return.

Stand up and be counted let Mr. Dana White know we want them back http://twitter.com/#!/danawhite hit his Twitter and let him know. They have merged the WEC and purchased Strikeforce they are a business and want to make a profit which is exactly why they should be returning. A Fan Expo in Dublin would sell out and they would also sell out of merchandise as the Irish fans don't have any real options for purchasing good MMA clothing ranges at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

I'm pretty sure Dana knows we want it back considering he's tortured every single Q & A! lol.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

The problem they have is the o2 only holds about 10,000 for a UFC event, it's WAY smaller than any other venue they use. They'll be losing money by holding another event here. I'd say if we do get one it'll be a Fight Night card or something similar. Can't see us getting a full card again any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

2961175776_b341ca0fc5.jpg

The problem they have is the o2 only holds about 10,000 for a UFC event, it's WAY smaller than any other venue they use. They'll be losing money by holding another event here. I'd say if we do get one it'll be a Fight Night card or something similar. Can't see us getting a full card again any time soon.

*faceplam*
    What are you talking about?

UFC 100 - 10,871 (their most important event at the time)

But look at recent events

UFC 123 - 8,421
    UFC 125 - 12,874 (LW title fight)
    UFC 126 - 10,893 (MW title fight)
    UFC 128 - 12,619 (LHW title fight)

The O2 is my nowhere near "way smaller than any other venue". Obviously eagled eyed detectives will notice I skipped 124 and 127. Which had 23k and 17k seats respectively. But, 124 was a GSP title defence is canada, enough said really. 127 was in Australia, where it has a huge following (even still most of the tickets were bought by touts and they failed to shift them - arena wasn't full.)

The size of the O2 isn't an issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

They are only running 3 European shows at most.

They would rather fill 17,000 seats than 10,000.

We
    arent
    getting
    a
    show
    this
    year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

My siters friends boyfriend cousins friend works at o2 and it's defo booked for march 17th next year :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,166 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

racso1975 wrote: »
    My siters friends boyfriend cousins friend works at o2 and it's defo booked for march 17th next year :p

Confirmed!!

/thread

drayme wrote: »

We
    arent
    getting
    a
    show
    this
    year

Your right and wrong , the venue size isnt a problem. Its scheduling issues and its more important for them to break into new territory. There wont be a UFC this year, but next year maybe. They definitely want to do a show back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

racso1975 wrote: »

I'm obviously happy to see this but they booked March 17th for 2010 and 2009. As we know the o2 has to be booked months in advance and the UFC always book venues that go unused. I've read UFC 137 has been booked in Liverpool Echo, Nottingham and o2 London. However hopefully this year will be different and they will return in March.

Xlami wrote: »
    I'm obviously happy to see this but they booked March 17th for 2010 and 2009. As we know the o2 has to be booked months in advance and the UFC always book venues that go unused. I've read UFC 137 has been booked in Liverpool Echo, Nottingham and o2 London. However hopefully this year will be different and they will return in March.

They actually did , they really want to promote the Irish Show in conjunction with St Patricks Day . Fighting (drunk) Irish and all that. THe only problem with that is St Patricks day falling on midweek days .

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Its a saturday next year so mebbees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

I really hope UFC returns to Dublin because they stayed at our hotel last time and trained in the gym! :D

• Advertisement

Your right and wrong , the venue size isnt a problem. Its scheduling issues and its more important for them to break into new territory. There wont be a UFC this year, but next year maybe. They definitely want to do a show back here.

I was told by someone who works with UFC it is a demerit.

We
    arent
    getting
    a
    show
    this
    year
    Obviously, but my point was that 10k isn't a small event for them, and 10-12 is the standard for the last few events. If you include fight night cards, and TUF they are lower again.
    They are other factors slowing the return, the venue size isn't the reason as another poster suggested, although its hardy a positive from their point of view.

I wouldn't be surprise if over priced tickets here meant that they made the same on the gate :D.
    Xlami wrote: »
    I'm obviously happy to see this but they booked March 17th for 2010 and 2009.
    No they didn't.
    It's a rumour that's started every year on wikipedia

I was told by someone who works with UFC it is a demerit.

So was i ;) but i would put money on Paddys day next year.

So was i ;) but i would put money on Paddys day next year.

But I actually did and I am not talking about next year

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

No they didn't.
    It's a rumour that's started every year on wikipedia

Are you sure? I heard it said from a security guard in the 02 but that could have been bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

*faceplam*
    What are you talking about?

UFC 100 - 10,871 (their most important event at the time)

But look at recent events

UFC 123 - 8,421
    UFC 125 - 12,874 (LW title fight)
    UFC 126 - 10,893 (MW title fight)
    UFC 128 - 12,619 (LHW title fight)

The O2 is my nowhere near "way smaller than any other venue". Obviously eagled eyed detectives will notice I skipped 124 and 127. Which had 23k and 17k seats respectively. But, 124 was a GSP title defence is canada, enough said really. 127 was in Australia, where it has a huge following (even still most of the tickets were bought by touts and they failed to shift them - arena wasn't full.)

The size of the O2 isn't an issue

UFC 100 had 10,000+ but had a gate of $5.1m
    UFC 123 had 16,000+ people at it and a gate of $2.1m
    UFC 125 had 12,874 as you say and a gate of $2.1m
    UFC 126 had 10,893 but had a gate of $3.6m
    UFC 128 has 12,619 but had a gate of $2.1m

Compare those figures to UFC 93 which had an attendance of 9,369 and a gate of $1.3m

then combine it with the fact it means much reduced PPV numbers (if you can even do a PPV), and the fact that all the big name guys get a % of PPV (which is why we're seeing less and less of them on UK cards) and the odds of us seeing a big fight begin to get higher/

They aren't going to sell $1000 seats in Dublin, especially with the state our economy is in so the average price per seat for a Dublin show will be lower than elsewhere.

I'm sure we'll get a show at some stage but I doubt it'll be a title fight or anything like that.

I'm pointing out that seat numbers isn't the reason. Everything you mentinoed is totally separate

• Registered Users Posts: 19,166 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Lads, yous are arguing over rubbish. It's very very simple! UFC are still very much a growing global company.

UFC were willing to hold a show here with a lowish gate in order to ppen th e market. The market is well and truely opened and they well know, because they keep getting pestered for a return show here!

Now, why should they come back here when they can put their time and effort into opening up new terretories? Why make a quick buck here when they can put on a show and open up a new market in, say, Sweden?

We'll see another show here when UFC is good and ready for it! Also, i'd rather see a good card here rather than the UFC brass saying "Jaysus, fine! We'll give you a card! Stephan Bonnar is due to fight also-Ran #6, you can have that as a Main Event!".

Be patient! And don't worry, you're bound to be in for more disappointment when that "Rock Solid Rumour" you heard about Paddys Day in The 02 doesnt turn out to be true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

How about a Strikeforce event in Dublin? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

SanoVitae wrote: »
    How about a Strikeforce event in Dublin? ;)

I would definitely be up for that.

Advertisement