Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy coat

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Thanks Tribalwings, its been a few years now but i still miss her, she was my baby andshe was a beauty. She was pts as she was wasting away with secondary cancers, and we just couldn't let her suffer.

Our goldens coat is just the same-pure fluff if its left alone! Her coat is beginning to grow again, so at the moment she looks a little like a teddy bear. The trick is to stay on top of it. Most goldens are the same, as i said before its like a naturally blonde human, very fine but lots of it. The more grooming you give the coat the more easily maintained it will be. I know that sounds really ominous-like you'll be spending hours daily grooming them, but once you get all the knots out and the fluff sorted its really nothing more than a very quick brush daily. No more than you would do with your own hair really. When we had the two of them i would brush them as they sat waiting for their dinner, and once a week give them a good grooming and check for matts. Now that its just the one, and she's elderly, we keep her coat short as it was less stressful with her medical issues. But she still loves being pampered, and stroked with the grooming glove. Thats another reason i use the glove incidentaly, she equates it with affection and attention because its not really a brush so she really enjoys it and i mean really!!(ever see a dog groan with pleasure?-daily occurance in our household:P) The cat loves it too, so its hilarious watching the pair of them trying to muscle in on each other when the glove appears!

Oh, one thing i did find good for flyaway hair, when your done grooming her, rub a kitchen towel thats had a (very)little veg oil soaked into it over the coat, it keeps the hair under control, encourages the dog to self groom and its good for them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tribalwings

I think this time I'll have to concede to the short grooming beacuse their coats are heavily matted underneath and I don't have the right tools to deal with with. They just end up distressed when I try and tackle the mats with the comb I have.
    So I am going to invest in the proper equipment and keep them right from now on.
    I know grooming is primarily a female occupation but is there any particular reason not many blokes are doing it ????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I know grooming is primarily a female occupation but is there any particular reason not many blokes are doing it ????

Lol, never heard of that!! I was taught how to groom our pets from an early age by my father, and a professional groomer i would always recommend was male(retired now) Most of the hunters who bring their dogs into my practise have longer haired breeds and all of these dogs are immaculate.

Why not get the clipped short again and start with a fresh slate so to speak. Then you can get used to giving them a quick brush down every day and as their coats grow out start using combs and brushes on the longer areas. Like everything with dogs, its as much about training yourself to do something as it is about training the dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tribalwings

Yeah I think that might be the right thing to do alright. I must have a look around and see if theres any classes or courses that could help me along with the grooming side of things, haha could be the start of a new career

Advertisement