Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the hangover cure

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

godscop wrote: »
    a small glass of whiskey, two spoonfuls of calpol and a splash of ribena a little bit of sugar around the rim of the glass. this is a sure fire way to get rid of your hangover and give you the horn!:D

WTF IS THIS!? :eek:

I must try.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Honey.

Prob best spread on toast.

Innuendo welcome. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

A huge ****e, a breakfast roll, loads of orange juice and tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Best preventative measure is to take 2 nurofen PLUS and have a huge glass of water before going to bed. If I remember, I put it by the bed before i go out so I don't forget to take it before going to sleep.

The pain relief kicks in as youu are asleep and the headache is never anywhere near as bad.

The next morning, lots of water and poached eggs works for me every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

I'm always saying it but a good ride is the only way to go. Followed, if possible, by more alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Bowl of vanilla ice cream when ya get back from the pub. Sorts out your stomach before you hit the leaba. You'll have a head on you alright but you wont be sick.

Of course this all depends on you having the motor skills to actually get a bowl of ice cream when you get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭messymess

Solpadine and Xanax.

Opps, sorry, someone please ban me ... I forgot this isn't a medical board!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭grungepants

Drink four cups of coffee, smoke as many cigarettes as you can and try to take really quick breaths.This will probably make you have a stroke.But you will have the next month off work wahay!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

amphetamines or benzos, anything else is lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

All these hangover cures you hear about don't work. The only cure to a hangover is time........................................and more alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Sleep it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Im off work tomoro but then have a damn busy work day Friday...
    Know i wont be able to resist the urge of a pub crawl...
    HELP!
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Pace2008 wrote: »
    This is the best one, though it's a preventative measure rather than cure.

Trouble is, the nights that are going to give you the real oh-my-sweet-lord-it's-been-20 hours-why-are-you-still-here hangovers, you're not always going to have the presence of mind to remember the drill.

I always drink lots of water beofre bed, but one night I forgot to because of the state I was in. Was by far the worst hangover ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

One of the main causes of a hangover is dehydration (largely responsible for your headache), so clearly the best thing to prevent or cure them is rehydration – plenty of water or fruit juice (as that often contains anti-oxidants too).
    Sugar filled soft drinks like cola are NOT a good idea, because although they’ll make you feel good temporarily by boosting your blood sugar, you’ll very quickly feel even worse again as you suffer from the insulin crash afterwards.
    Part of your rehydration might perhaps include essential electrolytes too (Calcium, Potassium, Sodium, Magnesium etc).
    Another cause of hangover is acetaldehyde, the toxic chemical produced when alcohol dehydrogenase breaks down alcohol in the liver. This is what causes the ‘poisoned’ feeling. There are a couple of things which work quite well to mop this up – the first is an enzyme called cysteine, which is found in large quantities in eggs. So that’s breakfast sorted out. You can also buy N-acetyl cysteine as a supplement in health food shops. The second thing which mops up acetaldehyde quite well is probiotics – the healthy bacteria found in yoghurt. However perhaps the best way to take this is in capsule form where it’s far more concentrated. A few of these before bedtime can really help you.
    Most alcoholic drinks will leave you with low blood sugar (hypoglycaemia) by morning, so its important to get that back up again in a slow, stable way. Which means complex carbohydrates as opposed to simple ones. What I mean is whole grains, like wholemeal bread or muesli, vegetables and fruit (particularly bananas to boost your potassium levels again). Carbs like simple sugars, white pasta or potatoes will not help.
    The nausea can be eased very effectively with ginger or peppermint tea, and again with those rehydration salts (or electrolytes).
    Painkillers are obviously quite tempting, but paracetamol causes further toxic strain on the liver and kidneys, and ibuprofen can irritate the stomach. So aspirin is probably the safest analgesic for a hangover.
    Finally you might well benefit from some B vitamin supplements – to calm your central nervous system (responsible for the tremors, sweats and anxiety), but these will tend to have a more long term effect rather than being a short term cure.
    Cheers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

JaxxYChicK wrote: »
    I'm always saying it but a good ride is the only way to go. Followed, if possible, by more alcohol.

This.

Also must try that calpol whiskey mix.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

JaxxYChicK wrote: »

Are you really a 'chick'???
    If so, what you at tomorrow day/night ;)

Giggidy :pac: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Rasher Sandwich - Increase salt levels so you can retain more water
    Citrus Lucozade - hydration (should help with headaches)
    Andrews - for any stomach problems
    Supply of fizzy jellies - Constant supply of energy throughout the day
    Vitamin tablets - For vitamins
    Charcoal tablets - To soak up the crap in your stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

A big bowl of white boiled rice !! SOAKAGE :D
    And plenty of fluids, lucozade sport preferably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Don't stop drinking. Never had a hangoverrrrr ......hic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

A glass of coconut water (Vitacoco) with a berocca and a couple if pain killers. Then lots and lots of water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭-Kenny-

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭grungepants

Im hung over....but i know how to cure it.

Dont go on the computer(if you work at a computer then you deserve a hangover cause your a nerd lulz)

Watch cartoons

Eat anything that reminds you of childhood
    like popcorn,icecream.In fact go to a shop that has those icecream machines.

Sit on the floor.

Play with toys if you have any leftover from childhood.

Im still drunk from last night...im so going to regret writing this in a few hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

Get a can of coke, open it, leave it for a while to go flat and then drink.

The coke that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Husk

3in1 just before bed works even better than a pint of water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Am I the only one who never gets a headache or sick stomach after a heavy night of drinking, I know a few people who are the same but its rare enough I would have thought.

Thats not to say I dont get hangovers though, I feel like utter sh1t sometimes for like 3 days, smoking doesnt help either!

Only cure is to sweat it out, or have 4 or 5 cans and sleep it off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Im hung over....but i know how to cure it.

Dont go on the computer(if you work at a computer then you deserve a hangover cause your a nerd lulz)

Watch cartoons

Eat anything that reminds you of childhood
    like popcorn,icecream.In fact go to a shop that has those icecream machines.

Sit on the floor.

Play with toys if you have any leftover from childhood.

Im still drunk from last night...im so going to regret writing this in a few hours...

Quoting for future insanity reference

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭angie16ab

best hangover cure is flat coke! get a can of coke, pour into a big glass and stir in a spoon of sugar to take the fizz out! really helps, worked for me today anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

A big tablespoon of Heroin and a packet of Banshees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Feelgood wrote: »
    A big tablespoon of Heroin and a packet of Banshees.

Jesus, that's rough, you eat Banshees?

They are like devil crisps, big bag of vinegar.

• Advertisement
Advertisement