Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice - Withnail & I

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 time4tea

I feel unusual

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

budgemook wrote: »
    how do you know that?
    Its mentioned on the extras on the version of the Dvd that i have, and on websites aplenty.
    Spore wrote: »
    Freeze-frame on the telegram 'I' receives in the cottage, read the name on it - subject to some debate but it seems to read Peter Marwood...

Here's a question for the fan-boys: what date does the film take place on? (okay it's over a few days, but what is the opening day?)

Exact date? Not sure but going by Danny's speech back in the flat, "its 91 days till the end of the decade" so that'd be in or around october 1st and the opening scene was a week before that so its the last week of september. If i were to freeze frame the screen when withnail was reading about Geoff Woade or when Marwood was in the cafe i might be able to get the date off the newspaper but its late and i dont have a HD tv:)

Close enough for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

If you don't demand to have some booze after watching it there's something wrong with you!

For a film set in the 60's, watch out for the 80's cars in the background when they begin their journey to the countryside

There's always one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Didn't like it when I saw it. To be honest I still don't understand what people think is good about it, the lines quoted even in this thread all seem lame to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

Bernard Black of Black Books has to be based on Withnail...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

tried to watch and fell asleep 3 minutes in :(

With who ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I'm preparing myself to forgive you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

did y'all know Richard E Grant is allergic to alcohol?

literally, allergic - before the movie was made - cant drink alcohol at all. ever.

great movie, but it was made a while ago, so bare that in mind (pace, cinematography etc.)

Enjoyed it and loved the quotes but it didn't quite live up to the hype I've heard surrounding it. Part road movie, part stage play and laden down with sexual frustration. Bit confused at times.

However the (carrot) joint smoking character and his afro friend made it for me.

Its probably up there around 26 or 27 of my all time favourite films.

However that could change for the better if I decide to watch it again with additional wine, gin and a generous portion of stimulating herbal stuff.

Lapin wrote: »
    Enjoyed it and loved the quotes but it didn't quite live up to the hype I've heard surrounding it. Part road movie, part stage play and laden down with sexual frustration. Bit confused at times.

However the (carrot) joint smoking character and his afro friend made it for me.

Its probably up there around 26 or 27 of my all time favourite films.

However that could change for the better if I decide to watch it again with additional wine, gin and a generous portion of stimulating herbal stuff.
    yes, it def a movie where been wasted helps a lot. an awful lot.

ps, you're right about the play bit - it's actually those play one-liners which make it iconic - and Grant's excellent performance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Trog

I told you, and it will. Get off your gee and then give it a bash.

It's... matter....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

ArtSmart wrote: »

Yep. I met him a few years ago when he was filming here (my bro was the editor on the film). Sound bloke - smokes pure weed all day long, like a chimney. Won't work unless he's half baked.

ArtSmart wrote: »

literally, allergic -......... cant drink alcohol at all. ever.

The poor bastard,

The poor bastard,
    yeah. just read wiki, gave the usual story that he was told to drink, for the first time and did so. but according to an interview with grant , Grant categorically stated he didnt drink in the movie or at any time, as he is clinically allergic to alcohol

ironic huh?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

With who ?

My boyfriend, why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

A-A-are you the farmer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

SCRUBBERS!!!!!!!!

Ponce!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

One of the funniest films ever made. Heartily recommend it to anyone whos 'been there' on one of those weekends. You kinda hafta have done that to get it i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

good film, obviously has it watched by now! i spent the first half hour of it trying to open a pie with a knife, had no tin opener and my brother laughin at me for my lack of pie opening skills!everyone was peckish for some reason!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Haha, just watched a clip on one of those "film and TV bloopers" shows of the 80s cars and a motorway that hadn't been built at the time the film was set. :)

• Advertisement

tried to watch and fell asleep 3 minutes in :(
    With who ?
    My boyfriend, why?

Scurrilous, unfounded, nasty rumours doing the rounds.

Thats all.

Not to worry, I never believed them in the first place.;)

I take it your boyfriend fell asleep during Witnail too then?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oh he was all like 'its great woooo, watch this.' But I fell asleep on his loverly flat man chest of warmth.

worth getting to watch again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I have a heart condition. If you hit me, it's murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

chin chin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Get some drinks in, get cosyt with yer other half, and watch it..every time they take a drink in the film, youve to take a drink..makes an already amazin film even more amazing..youll hafta watch it again cos youll be scuttered drunk by about halfway through but its a comedy classic of the highest order..ye hafta see it, youll be so glad you did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Jesus, stop posting quotes youll ruin it on him!
    Oh and they all die at the end...

Hitler dies in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Lady von Purple

Turns out Bruce Willis was a ghost all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I tend to judge people on what they think of this movie. It has never let me down.

I don't think could never respect anyone who didn't like this film. Funniest film ever made, and by a long shot.

Danny: Has he just been busted?
    Marwood: No.
    Danny: Then why's he wearing that old suit?
    Withnail: Old suit! This suit was cut by Hawke's of Savile Row. Just because the best tailoring you've ever seen is above your ****ing appendix doesn't mean anything.
    Danny: Don't get uptight with me, man. Because if you do, I'll have to give you a dose of medicine. And if I spike you, you'll know you've been spoken to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

F*ck the wellingtons, we'll tell him there was a farmers convetion

I think an evening in the crow - (one of my favourite things to do!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 time4tea

Columbia wrote: »
    Didn't like it when I saw it. To be honest I still don't understand what people think is good about it, the lines quoted even in this thread all seem lame to me.

well, clearly

i'm not sure why anyone would expect to like quotes from a movie they didn't like in the first place :confused:

You do need to be at least a bit tipsy to truly enjoy it and it gets better with repeated watchings.

I couldn't tell you how many times we watched it as Students after the boozer.

Advertisement