Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In The Pit #10 - Kess73

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭silent sage

Kess73 wrote: »
    Pins And Needles was one of the better albums of 2010 imho.

I agree.

Ok my question may not be Rock/Metal related but I've read your wide ranging interest in that genre; I'm interested to know if genres such as Rap/Hip Hop and Experimental Music interest you?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I agree.

Ok my question may not be Rock/Metal related but I've read your wide ranging interest in that genre; I'm interested to know if genres such as Rap/Hip Hop and Experimental Music interest you?

They do indeed. As I said earlier good music is good music regardless of the genre.

In terms of Rap/Hip Hop, my taste would range from old school stuff like Public Enemy, NWA, The Roots, Ice-T, A Tribe Called Quest up to newer stuff like Manafest.

Jedi Mind Tricks, Army of Pharaohs, Binary Star and the like would be on my listened to list as well.

I would guess that my Hip Hop/Rap collection would be pretty mainstream compared to those who are really into the genre in a big way, but if I hear something I like the sound of, then I am hooked regardless of whether it is by a big name or someone new.

As for Experimental music, yep I love anything that tries something new or does something clever. Guys like Carsten Nicolai, Richard D James (of Limerick birth and UK upbringing like my good self) and Mike Paradinas always pique my interest and curiousity when I hear they are involved in something, plus as a lover of most forms of jazz a liking of experimental styles almost comes as part and parcel of my musical taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

What's the best concert performance you've ever been too, and on the same note, who are you the most desperate to see live that you've never seen?

What's the best concert performance you've ever been too, and on the same note, who are you the most desperate to see live that you've never seen?

I am too lazy to retype it so will quote what I said earlier in the thread as an anser to your first question.
    Will keep it to Rock/Metal. Have been to a hell of a lot of great gigs but the 1988 Monsters Of Rock gig always stands out in my mind.

The line up was Helloween, Megadeth, Guns N' Roses, David Lee Roth, Piss Kiss and Iron Maiden.

It was the first gig that I was at that had over 100,000 people at it and it was a hell of a day.

I have quite fond memories of Iron Maiden playing at the Point Depot during the Fear Of The Dark tour as well. The Almighty were the support act (they had the excellent Powertrippin out at the time) and during their set Pete Friesen slipped off of the left corner of the stage as you looked at the old stage set up. I was the guy that grabbed him as he fell towards the railing. As a result he got security to bring me and two of my mates backstage afterwards and we had some drinks with the Almighty back at their hotel and met Maiden briefly.

As for who would I love to see live that I have not seen yet. Well in rock/metal it would have to be the Dropkick Murphys, and it would have to be in Boston.

Next on the list is the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. I have seen footage of some of their shows and it looks mindblowing to say the least.

Third on the list is PJ Harvey. I have somehow managed to miss tour after tour by her, but with her having a new tour in the works for this year I hope I can finally put that right as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Any more questions folks?

• Advertisement

Malice_ wrote: »
    Any more questions folks?

I think my run is well and truly over, and thanks to Malice for letting it run a few days extra, and thanks to all who asked the questions especially the ones that led to me digging out albums that I had not listened to in ages.

With that I think I should mosey on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Alrighty then, thanks to everyone who posted questions and thanks to Kess73 for posting some very in-depth answers. The next installment of In The Pit is here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement