Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In The Pit #11 waltersobchak

Options
  • 19-01-2011 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Here is the latest In The Pit. The next victim volunteer on the list is Waltersobchak.

A quick recap of the rules:
    1. Questions should be Rock & Metal related although some leeway is allowed.
    2. Let's not have questions that are too personal. The poster doesn't have to answer anything they don't want to and as moderator I suppose I'll have the final say if something is appropriate or not.
    3. Don't discuss any of the answers on the thread and only the poster should be answering the questions.

Hopefully that's clear enough so let the questions commence...

If you would like to take part in this and you're not already on the list, please post here and I'll add you to the queue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?
    Where did your username come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Do you use rock or metal to motivate you in day to day life, in the gym or before something important?

If yes, what bands/songs motivate or hype you up the most?

If I put you on a desert island with enough food and supplies for life, but no internet, radio or tv, and just one cd player with a life supply of batteries, what five albums would you bring with you, bearing in mind that it would be the only music you would hear for the rest of your life?

Malice_ wrote: »

Shame on you if you asked that question without knowing the answer. You probably pee on rugs as well. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Malice_ wrote: »
    What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?
    My Gran had a student from Poland stay with her in 1996 when i was 9 or 10 years old, he was a massive Metallica fan, and he basically introduced me to them, and tbh i was completely obsessed with Metal and Rock Music ever since!
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?

I've basically frequented the forum since i joined boards, i love the knowledge of the posters and the fun and friendly banter here.. So that's why i come back..

What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    Im a chef so i work farely insane hours, have little time for my friends or loved ones, and music is the thing that keeps me sane, i play guitar and have recently started playing drums..
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?

Ride the Lighning by Metallica was the first Metal album i ever bought so that has a special place in my heart.. But honorable mentions to Images and Words by Dream Theater because thats the album that started ny obsession with Prog, as well as Dirt by Alice in Chains which is probably my Favourite album of all time...
    The Big Lebowski is my favourite flick, and Walter is the greatest movie character ever in my opinion, and one of my mate used to always say i was just like him, and gave me that nickname!

What was the second and last albums you bought from the rock or metal genres, and why did you buy each album?

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    Do you use rock or metal to motivate you in day to day life, in the gym or before something important?

If yes, what bands/songs motivate or hype you up the most?

Ah big time man, i have a pretty stressful lifestyle because of my career, and the 30 mins a day i have to listen to music while i comute to work is the only moments of clarity i have!

And id say the band that hypes me up the most is probably Alter Bridge, i love the anthemic nature of their songs, whilst also being fairly heavy but still melodic!

The songs that motivate me the most would be anything and everything by Rush.. i'll listen to Moving Pictures or 2112 Hemispheres or Power Windows at least once a week..

If I put you on a desert island with enough food and supplies for life, but no internet, radio or tv, and just one cd player with a life supply of batteries, what five albums would you bring with you, bearing in mind that it would be the only music you would hear for the rest of your life?

Pink Floyd - The Wall
    Dream Theater - Scenes From A Memory
    Tool - Lateralus
    Rush - Moving Pictures
    Alice In Chains - Dirt

They'd be probably my 5 favourite albums of all time and theres no way id go to a desert Island without them:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

What inspired you to begin learning drums?

If you can pick just one, who is your favourite guitarist in terms of talent, songwriting, technique or whatever?

As a drummer, what bass players would you most like to form a rhythm section with and why?

Top five drummers and a little bit as to why you picked each one?

What was the second and last albums you bought from the rock or metal genres, and why did you buy each album?

The last 2 albums i bought was Throwing Copper by Live and Snow by Spocks Beard

I bought Throwing Copper after hearing and fu*king loving this song

Awesome, awesome album highly recommend it to anyone who loves Pearl Jam, STP, Soundgarden etc etc

And Snow is an album i downloaded a while back but physically purchased recently.. I love this album (although the obvious religious themes and its being a concept album, might not exactly be to everyones taste) its kind of along the lines of Peter Gabriel era Genesis, and i fu*king love Neal Morses voice and some of the melodies on this album are incredible

As someone who was blown away by the excellent Throwing Copper, did you check out Ed Kowalczyk's solo album Alive last summer/autumn and if you did, what did you think of it?

• Advertisement

What inspired you to begin learning drums?

Basically it was something i always wanted to but never had the confidence to do. Because everytime i tried to do it before, i could never quite co-ordinate my hands and feet..

So i just said fu*k it! i'll just sit down, take my time and do it.. And started off with playing along to ACDC and Def Leppard songs and gradually progessed to more complicated stuff, id say i had a slight advantage being a guitarist, and already having that background of playing along to stuff for hours on end, and having the patience to know learning a musical instrument doesnt just happen overnight!
    you can pick just one, who is your favourite guitarist in terms of talent, songwriting, technique or whatever?

Oh man thats such a tough one!!!

Id say my biggest guitar playing influence is Joe Satriani.. I love Joe, everything from his phrasing to songwriting and melody.. Not only that but i had the pleasure to meet him and he's the most humble awesome dude, i've ever met!

This song is just one example of why i love Joe, and why his music is a constant source of inspiration

As a drummer, what bass players would you most like to form a rhythm section with and why?

John Myung from Dream Theater, because any man who has the chops to form a rhythm section with Mike Portnoy whilst also following what John Petrucci is doing on Guitar is clearly a talented mofo:pac:

Top five drummers and a little bit as to why you picked each one?

Mike Portnoy.. The Guy (Love him or Hate him) is fuc*ing incredible, and he was a musical inspiration to me even before i played the Drums!

Neil Peart.. The Greatest Drummer of all Time in my humble opinion

Gene Hoglan.. His double footwork blows my mind everytime i hear it

Danny Carey.. I'll never forget the first time i saw Tool live when i was 15, i spent the whole gig just watching Danny play. And that was the moment that inspired me to play a musical instrument

Jimmy Chamberlain.. I've just always loved the musicality of his playing, and always though he was the one who made the Pumkins sound better than anyone else could've

As someone who was blown away by the excellent Throwing Copper, did you check out Ed Kowalczyk's solo album Alive last summer/autumn and if you did, what did you think of it?

I actually havent heard it yet but i'll definitely check it out! This is why i love this forum, the amount of bands ive become a fan of because of peoples recommendations is incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

As a fellow Joe Satriani fan, I am wondering if you have checked out Chickenfoot, the supergroup Joe plays guitar with? If you have, what do you think of their album?

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    As a fellow Joe Satriani fan, I am wondering if you have checked out Chickenfoot, the supergroup Joe plays guitar with? If you have, what do you think of their album?

I liked them, but at the same time i think the songs held Joe back a little, im also a fan of Sammy Hager era VH, so my expectations where probably a little high:pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

What has been your favourite album out in 2010?

What was your first big name rock/metal gig you attended?

What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)

What other sections of boards do you frequent?

Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?

If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?

What would be the lineup of your dream gig?

Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?

What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭rednik

Roger Waters or David Gilmour?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Do you like any other types of music outside of rock and metal?

If you could play any other instantly be able to play any other instrument what would it be?

What has been your favourite album out in 2010?
    AB III by Alter Bridge.. Absolutely love this album

What was your first big name rock/metal gig you attended?
    Green Day at the Point in 2000, tbh i walked out half way through
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)

Theres 2 bands i hate equally Fallout Boy.. Hate them and i hate their fans even more.. And Avenged Sevenfold.. I hated them since i first saw them support Metallica in the RDS in 2005, they're the most overrated bunch of poser fu*ks, and M Swallows comments about Mike Portnoy bringing negative attention to the band show's their arrogance..
    What other sections of boards do you frequent?

I spend quite a bit of time on Pro Wrestling, where if you see my sig, we have a weekly podcast, where we've interviewed some interesting people including Mick Foley
    Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?

Definitely Metal and my favourite sub genre is Prog, whether thats Progressive Metal or old school Prog Rock, i love em both the same:pac:
    If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?

Ozzy.. Layne Staley, Ronnie Dio, Phil Lynott, Maynard James Keenan

What would be the lineup of your dream gig?
    Pink Floyd
    Dream Theater
    Thin Lizzy
    Black Sabbath
    Alice in Chains
    Tool

Thats my dream line up for sure!!
    Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?

Metallica.. For everything they did before the 00's
    What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

Hmmm thats a tough one, Probably(although it was a while ago) Death Magnetic

rednik wrote: »
    Roger Waters or David Gilmour?

Although i completely respect and indeed love Roger Waters vision and genius i still think David Gilmour was the heart and soul of Pink Floyd, and hearing Roger Waters live with another guitarist playing Comfortably Numb is nothing like the real thing(id imagine)

• Advertisement

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Do you like any other types of music outside of rock and metal?

Hmmm not really to be honest, i wouldnt say im a musical snob but i dont really enjoy Pop, Dance or whatever other crap is on the radio these days...
    If you could play any other instantly be able to play any other instrument what would it be?

Definitely the piano, i'd actually love to learn the piano soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Jem_

Definitely the piano, i'd actually love to learn the piano soon
    Please name 3 first pieces you'll play?

Jem_ wrote: »
    Please name 3 first pieces you'll play?

Hmmm good question.. If i could instantly play the piano these would definitely be the songs i'd want to play!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

If you could form a Super-group of 4/5/6 DEAD Rock & Metal musicians, who'd be in it and what would it be called?

If you could play a (new) instrument instantly what would that be and what song would you love to be able to play instantly on that instrument? Keep it in the boundaries of heavy music.

Damageplan or Superjoint Ritual?

What Rock/Metal song do you wish you wrote?

Are you a fan of wearing band merch, like T-Shirt's and shīt like that; and if so, how much do you have (roughly speaking) and what are your favourites?

What's your favourite film soundtrack, if you have one? Any genre if you like, but if you want it to be Metal for the sake of the forum, that's up to you.

Nailz wrote: »
    If you could form a Super-group of 4/5/6 DEAD Rock & Metal musicians, who'd be in it and what would it be called?

Vocals and Bass.. Phil Lynott
    Keyboards.. Rick Wright
    Drums.. John Bonham
    Guitar.. Dimebag
    Guitar... Randy Rhodes

A Name... Hmmm i'll have a think and come back to that
    If you could play a (new) instrument instantly what would that be and what song would you love to be able to play instantly on that instrument? Keep it in the boundaries of heavy music.

Piano and definitely this..

Damageplan or Superjoint Ritual?

Damageplan... Always liked Dime and Vinny a lot more than Phil Anselmo
    What Rock/Metal song do you wish you wrote?

Are you a fan of wearing band merch, like T-Shirt's and shīt like that; and if so, how much do you have (roughly speaking) and what are your favourites?

Yup always been a Band Tshirt and Jeans kinda guy and try to buy a Tshirt at every gig i go to. Id say i must have 50 Tshirts, and my favourits are the ones i bought at my first Metallica, Tool, Dream Theather and KISS gigs.. mainly for sentimentality
    What's your favourite film soundtrack, if you have one? Any genre if you like, but if you want it to be Metal for the sake of the forum, that's up to you.

My favourite non Metal Soundtrack is

BluesBrothersPoster.jpg

And more "Metal"

718M55BRWDL._SL500_AA300_.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Best Walter quote? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

If an alien landed on earth, and you had to show it one riff (not song) that best sums up metal, what would it be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

When will you admit you fancy the arse off Miz? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

From here:
    Malice wrote: »
    The poster doesn't have to answer anything they don't want to

Who is Miz anyway?

• Advertisement

Malice wrote: »
    From here:

Who is Miz anyway?

He is AWESOME. :D

Might be lost on those who have no interest in wrestling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement