Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Britney Spears - Hold It Against Me

Options
  • 12-01-2011 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

K, so Brit's first real new first single in years went on sale on Irish itunes today, currently at number1, aswell as in 18 other countries across the globe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UavBjBDqJGA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hold_It_Against_Me

what do y'all think?

has she still got it, or is she past her best before.....?

It's a good tune, no doubt, and it seems less auto-tuned than her previous work, I dunno?

thoughts?

also, I amn't sure if this is the best place to make this thread, feel free to move. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

What planet are you on? Seriously, this is the electronic music forum.

No one is welcome here unless they listen to extremely obscure techno that is of no commercial appeal at all to the great unwashed, everyone knows that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

IfUSeekAmy wrote: »
    K, so Brit's first real new first single in years went on sale on Irish itunes today, currently at number1, aswell as in 18 other countries across the globe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UavBjBDqJGA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hold_It_Against_Me

what do y'all think?

has she still got it, or is she past her best before.....?

It's a good tune, no doubt, and it seems less auto-tuned than her previous work, I dunno?

thoughts?

also, I amn't sure if this is the best place to make this thread, feel free to move. :)
    why would you use the internet to talk about Britney Spears. That's what the hairdresser's is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

I kinda like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

The best and worst thing to ever happen to dubstep was the sample used on this track. It's the first time it's recognised on a BIG pop track (and this track is getting a massive push from the labels, stations etc. It's gonna be the next 'Umbrella'). And it's going to become standard after this.

The good news is that now DJ's who've been on the bandwagon for a while can start making money from it. The bad news is that it's not going to be trendy to talk about it on boards anymore.

leggo wrote: »
    The best and worst thing to ever happen to dubstep was the sample used on this track. It's the first time it's recognised on a BIG pop track (and this track is getting a massive push from the labels, stations etc. It's gonna be the next 'Umbrella'). And it's going to become standard after this.

The good news is that now DJ's who've been on the bandwagon for a while can start making money from it. The bad news is that it's not going to be trendy to talk about it on boards anymore.

Huh? So a wobbly bass = dubstep sample?

• Advertisement

Find me one place where a track that resembles that Spears track has been discussed on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

In response to the Lyrics of the song,

Yes i would & do:D

Remember when I said there was no point in arguing with mobile/wedding djs about music?
    Thank you Leggo for proving my point.
    I think we can categorically say you haven't a bloody clue what you're talking about. So no surprise there anywho.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I agree that it's a horrible noisy wobbly crappy baseline - which is what I think of a lot of Dubstep ;) but that tune is certainly not Dubstep. It's just another variant of the mass produced rubbish they force feed to uneducated teenagers who don't know any better.

I'm never afraid to say I like commercial cheese, but it's a horrible song.

Zascar wrote: »
    I agree that it's a horrible noisy wobbly crappy baseline - which is what I think of a lot of Dubstep ;)

*rants about how wobbly dubstep is a load of bollocks and is only one part of a broad spectrum of styles etc*:D

• Advertisement

Zascar wrote: »
    I agree that it's a horrible noisy wobbly crappy baseline - which is what I think of a lot of Dubstep ;) but that tune is certainly not Dubstep. It's just another variant of the mass produced rubbish they force feed to uneducated teenagers who don't know any better.

I'm never afraid to say I like commercial cheese, but it's a horrible song.

I have to admit i do like quite a lot of commercial cheese:D

http://www.hilmarcheese.com/CommercialCheese.cms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

jtsuited wrote: »
    Huh? So a wobbly bass = dubstep sample?

Yeah, its on page 2 of the Dubstep manual. Have you not got it?

Yeah, its on page 2 of the Dubstep manual. Have you not got it?

no, amazon are screwing me about.

no, amazon are screwing me about.

Ah, you probably got the 'Dubstep for Dummies' that they've been recommending… It really only concentrates on high squeal noises, drill sounds and stutter beats. The Dubstep Manual by JR Hartley gives you a much more rounded overview on all things wobbly.

Remember that's the Dubstep Manual by JR Hartley. You might have to look through the Yellow Pages for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

there was a time when Britney was worth a few inches of wobble :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭francois

Ah, you probably got the 'Dubstep for Dummies' that they've been recommending… It really only concentrates on high squeal noises, drill sounds and stutter beats. The Dubstep Manual by JR Hartley gives you a much more rounded overview on all things wobbly.

Remember that's the Dubstep Manual by JR Hartley. You might have to look through the Yellow Pages for it.

Ah the renaissence man Hartley-I can thouroughly recommend his master opus "fly fishing"

francois wrote: »
    Ah the renaissence man Hartley-I can thouroughly recommend his master opus "fly fishing"

It were proper rubbish. I thought it was going to be about fishing with style. It wasn't that at all…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Why are people calling this dubstep? It's just electro-house with a horrible hoover bassline, not even a wobble bass, or am I listening to a different track?

Why are people calling this dubstep? It's just electro-house with a horrible hoover bassline, not even a wobble bass, or am I listening to a different track?

It was Leggo who mentioned dubstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Paul1979

would u play this leggo?

• Advertisement

It's not me who's billing it as dubstep guys. It's the labels. That's what they're putting out there.

But by all means feel free to take it out on me because nobody else is listening. ;)
    would u play this leggo?

Hells yeah man! This is baby-making music!

It's not me who's billing it as dubstep guys. It's the labels. That's what they're putting out there.

But by all means feel free to take it out on me because nobody else is listening. ;)

Well at least we know where you get your information from.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Paul1979

Hells yeah man! This is baby-making music!

says it all really

Well at least we know where you get your information from.

I know. I got it off Google News. Sometimes I even use it as a search engine. Gosh, I'm so mainstream I sicken myself sometimes!
    Paul1979 wrote: »
    says it all really

Awwww...XOXO! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

There is wob-wob at 2.25, up to then it's just electro-house as electrogrimey said earlier.

Would be interesting to see how this song would be seen by the heads on here if it were some unknown singer who'd released this.

CiaranMT wrote: »
    There is wob-wob at 2.25, up to then it's just electro-house as electrogrimey said earlier.

Would be interesting to see how this song would be seen by the heads on here if it were some unknown singer who'd released this.

it'd be seen as the awful sh1te it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

It's not me who's billing it as dubstep guys. It's the labels.

Wow, how the hell Britney Spears and Burial are even mentioned on the same website, never mind in the same article is mind boggling to me...
    The role of Dubstep in Britney Spears' music will likely become more pronounced when her album drops, as she was reported to have worked with famed Dubstep producers Rusko on some tracks.

Dubstep artists worth checking out include Burial, Flying Lotus, Skream and, yes, Rusko. Happy listening!

"album drops" *snigger* :D

I did hear that britney song on the radio the other day, just sounded like even more electro house pop wanck to me.

CiaranMT wrote: »

My fuc.king god, are you that far removed from recognising real talented music!!!!

This is Now 67 shi.te!!!!

Finally, if this is electro house thank fuc.king jaysus i never got into the new 'cutting edge' (said sarcastically) stuff post 2002 ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

Sure isn't caspa or rusko producing her album? No surprise it might come off a bit dubstep-y

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

HoggyRS wrote: »
    Sure isn't caspa or rusko producing her album? No surprise it might come off a bit dubstep-y

Rusko did some tunes with her, but apparently none of them made the album.

There is nothing Dubstep like about the song though. Not the bass, not the beat, not anything.

There is not even anything "brostep" like about it.

Don't get me wrong, i understand why people think it is but that is purely because they haven't a clue about Dubstep, either end of the spectrum.

This is the kind of song that basically allows **** DJ's in wanky clubs to feel like they are threading somewhere near the deep end of the pool but at the end of the day it's derivative bull**** pop music and that's about it.

Advertisement