Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girl awarded €10,000 for trauma suffered when bike fell near her

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tails142 wrote: »
    In fairness this could have ended very differently, i.e. in death or worse, she could have been left as a cabbage.

There was a man killed in Woodies Tallaght when a fencing panel fell of a top shelf in the store.

Smyths deserve to get a slap on the wrist over this, ten grand is nothing to them in the big scheme and it might encourage them to improve safety in their stores. I doubt anyone wants to be walking through the store and have a bike fall on their head from 14ft up.

I could have been smacked in the face by a Dublin Bus Wing Mirror, But i moved at the last minute.

I cant even look at another wing mirror without bursting into tears. It kills me when changing lanes daily.

Wish someone would give me cash. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

gerryk wrote: »
    In cases like this, the payout eventually falls to the public liability insurance held by the company in question. This causes insurance companies to raise their premiums and we all (including the money grabbing douche) end up paying for it.

And the solicitor / barrister who took the case wonder why the public despises them.

I nearly got hit by a car once, I wonder can I get an easy 10,000 for that as I am not the same since + have nightmares.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

She should have got free toys for life instead. The dad wouldn't have come across as greedy then.

In fairness this could have ended very differently, i.e. in death or worse, she could have been left as a cabbage.

There was a man killed in Woodies Tallaght when a fencing panel fell of a top shelf in the store.

Smyths deserve to get a slap on the wrist over this, ten grand is nothing to them in the big scheme and it might encourage them to improve safety in their stores. I doubt anyone wants to be walking through the store and have a bike fall on their head from 14ft up.

Nearly never bulled a cow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

that was B&Q Tallaght, not Woodies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Wtf was the bike doing 14ft over her?

Was it on one of them old school garage bike holders? like this:
    Bike rack things

But i do agree that the dad seemed to be a money grabber.
    Hes a social worker yeah? So he knows exactly how to twist the system.
    Wouldnt be surprised if the child psychologist was a mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,023 ✭✭✭✭tk123

WTF!! I think I'll get my now 15 year old nephew to pretend he's shellshocked so we can get some cash lol. We were in Smyths years ago and some shopping baskets fell and brushed of him - he was about 4 at the time

TK : Are you ok dude?
    Kid : It didn't hurt me!!! (like he just realized he was invincible)
    Staff member : Ah that's a grand little fella

• Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Money aside, maybe it will make stores like that cop on a bit and not unsafely store goods again in future. What if it had of it her and killed her? There's be no complaining about the compo they recieved then. I know that's a big 'what if' but still. It's pure conjecture on your parts that they are blagging the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

tk123 wrote: »
    WTF!! I think I'll get my now 15 year old nephew to pretend he's shellshocked so we can get some cash lol. We were in Smyths years ago and some shopping baskets fell and brushed of him - he was about 4 at the time

TK : Are you ok dude?
    Kid : It didn't hurt me!!! (like he just realized he was invincible)
    Staff member : Ah that's a grand little fella

Replace the dog with the kid and the war scenes with falling bikes or baskets

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Money aside, maybe it will make stores like that cop on a bit and not unsafely store goods again in future. What if it had of it her and killed her? There's be no complaining about the compo they recieved then. I know that's a big 'what if' but still. It's pure conjecture on your parts that they are blagging the system.

Odds are some guy put it up there possibly even a customer in an unsafe manner. Customers do help themselves to things. In the one I worked in small bikes were kept on a high shelf with a barrier in front of them so kids wouldn't grab them and start cycling all around the store.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

They'll make sure it does'nt happen again won't they. Win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I wonder if it's too late for me to take out a law suit against Stephen Spielberg for the trauma I experienced from watching Jaws. To this day sharks scare me and it might account for my social awkwardness :P

Probably not but that was meant to be scary.

However you probably could for Indiana Jones and the crystal skull. That film was just two hours of raping of the greatest adventure heroes. Traumatic stuff indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i'm sure we all know people in adult life that have fears and phobias since they were kids...can they now trace back to where that fear came from can get compo?

Being a child is about getting frights and learning from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Obviously no one here's had a family member who's had a bicycle fall near them.

Time does not heal all wounds. No amount of money can compensate a tragedy of this magnitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Todays generation of kids are wusses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Yeah, kids generally love fireworks and thunderstorms and socializing

Daddy's a tosspot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

FatherLen wrote: »
    sounds like the dad is a money grapping w*nkstain if you ask me. prob put the child under more stress with all this than the bike ever did.

Hold on a min, A priest that thinks about childrens stress?

When did all this change? :rolleyes:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

Bloody rediculous - I'm sure the smallie got an awful fright but 10,000 is utterly rediculous. The parents and the solicitor should be ashamed.

I was in a pretty nasty accident when I was 4 years old. Myself and me da were driving to the chipper when he had a blowout on a tyre. We had pulled over and dad was out changing the tyre and I was sitting in the back of the car behind the passenger seat watching him through the window. Next thing we were hit from behind, but not at speed (thank god) and I was thrown forward and bumped my head off the headrest of the seat in front of me. No injuries except for a bruise on my forhead and a bit of a fright. Long story short the guy who hit us didn't pay for the damage to the car and my dad sued to get the repair costs.

The solicitor pushed and pushed my dad to sue for the 'injuries' that I had and wanted my dad to say that I was afraid of travelling in the car, nightmares, shock etc and said we would be entitled to about 20,000 + pounds - a frightful amount of money 20+ years ago. I'm glad that my father is an honest man and told him where to stuff it, had we sued the guy for my 'injuries' who hit us would probably still be paying that money to me and been ruined financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Bookworm85 wrote: »
    ......Long story short the guy who hit us didn't pay for the damage to the car and my dad sued to get the repair costs.

As in tried to get away with not paying for the damage forcing your da to sue to get the money???

If thats the case then I am afraid I think your dad was a fool and this coming from someone who hates the claim culture with a passion. In the same scenario if the driver was apologetic and didn't try to wiggle his way out of paying I'd be the same as your dad but if he tried to wiggle out of paying anything then I am taking him to the %$£%ing cleaners.

Many years ago on a treacherous wet and windy night I was hit by another car. Inches either way and either myself and/or the front seat passenger would have lost legs or been killed but as it turned out we just had a few cuts. Had it been an accident with the weather being the main factor then we would have sued for the written off van and for A&E Fee's. The fact that it was a drunk driver who fled the scene (hit and Run) and knocked back a bottle of Jameson "to calm his nerves you see" when he got home. (Fireman Found his licence plate under overturned van), well we sued him for every cut and scratch and a few old rugby injuries too. Hopefully he was never able to get insurance from anyone again and defacto put off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

That little girl needs to harden the fuck up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

david wrote: »
    That little girl needs to harden the fuck up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Pace2008 wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly :D

"This is Stefan, He's called Stefan. Harden the fuck up Stefan."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

I slipped on a banana skin in Tesco. I didn't think that happened outside of cartoons :D I should have sued! Ack! Also, some little git threw a firecracker which exploded about 4 feet from my 4 month old baby. I should have sued him for everything he had (a pocket full of firecrackers).

Also, I had a nightmare about vampires last night, can I sue twilight? Well, what about suing it for sucking really, really badly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If you make claims like this, you're just adding to a world where the claims culture is rife and it can easily come back to bite you on the ass if you - or your business - end up on the end of a stupid claim yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

That kid has an ear for a great future in the Irish army.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Mr Campbell, a social worker, was unable to attend court with his daughter today.

i.e. someone with just enough knowledge of dodgy claims to make it work-

...not brazen enough to show up on the day though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Poor kid must have got a terrible fright - how delightful for her to then be exploited like that.
    Don't see though how she's proof of a generation of wussy children or that she, at two, is responsible for being of a nervous disposition. Small kids have been the same through the ages: afraid of the dark, of thunderstorms, of scary fictional characters etc - I don't get the "In my day [the 80s/90s - not durin' th'War] we were tough as nails" stuff. And it's not just "the youth of today" that has cotton wool-wrapped elements...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

10,000 are you serious? man am I sickened when I was about 6 or 7 a bike fell from the top display rack in tesco onto my back and really hurt me and all I got was a free nintendo 64 and a mario game from the manager. fuk in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

what a bull**** claim. I'd say everyone in Ireland has a claim If this crap is seen as legit.

Tbf though I'm pretty sure that the compo goes into a court account until the girl is 18 then it's given to her, not the parents.

Least that's how it worked whengot mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

10,000 are you serious? man am I sickened when I was about 6 or 7 a bike fell from the top display rack in tesco onto my back and really hurt me and all I got was a free nintendo 64 and a mario game from the manager. fuk in anyway.
    only a free N64????
    not bad!!!

Advertisement