Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girl awarded €10,000 for trauma suffered when bike fell near her

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Can't believe my parents didn't sue when I was a kid :-/
    A two-year-old girl who suffered post traumatic stress after a bicycle crashed to the ground in front of her in a toy shop has been awarded €10,000 damages.

Barrister David Staunton told the Circuit Civil Court yesterday that little Katie Campbell had narrowly escaped physical injury when the bike fell directly in her path from a shelf 14 feet above her head.

He said Katie, now aged almost six, had been with her father John Campbell, Foxbrook, Ratoath, Co Meath, in October 2007, browsing in Smyths Toys shop in the Airside Retail Park, Swords, Co Dublin, when the incident happened.

Mr Staunton told Circuit Court President, Mr Justice Matthew Deery, that the bicycle had not struck Katie but she had afterwards shown signs of anxiety and had suffered nightmares.

He told the court her GP had referred her to consultant child psychologist Mr Andrew Conway.

Mr Conway, on the basis of symptoms including hypersensitivity to noise such as thunder storms, fire crackers, cars backfiring, and an unwillingness to engage with other children, diagnosed her as having suffered a post traumatic reaction of a moderate type.

Mr Staunton said Mr Conway had concluded that as a result of the incident in the toy shop, Katie had suffered regression in her emotional, social and behavioural progression.

Mr Campbell, a social worker, was unable to attend court with his daughter today.

Judge Deery approved a €10,000 settlement offer by Smyths Toys Ltd and costs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

That's just sad really, there should be some way of stoping this moneygrabbing claiming nonsence!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,243 ✭✭✭✭Penn

She should have been wearing a helmet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

id gladly let the bike fall on me for half that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Is this for wheel?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

That's just depressing, we're turning in the USA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I blame the parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

I wonder if they claimed tax relief on the psychologists fees, GP visit fees, medical expenses, etc?

Also how much of the 10K went straight into the barristers pocket?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

No luck can come with money gained in this way. I blame the parents and hope that it rains all the time they are in Disneyland.

'cptr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Fùck, I should've been a millionare by now with all the crap that happened to me when I was little, I don't even remember most of the events :pac:

So what, anytime she sees a bike she'll freeze, stare into the distance and have Vietnam-esque flashbacks? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

We are going to end up with a nation of wimps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Fucking ghouls.

Exploiting their children for easy money: no other description for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

Also how much of the 10K went straight into the barristers pocket?

None of it - the offer was plus costs. So the whole thing probably cost Smyths/their insurance company about 35,000 by the time they pay the compensation, the girl's solicitors and their own solicitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

That's ridiculous.

At the same time, the shop deserve some kind of rap on the knuckles if they're stacking stuff dangerously 14ft high where there are children around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I wish my folks had been smart enough to retroactively blame any nightmares I had as a kid to that time I was 7 and on the way to school on the back of my brother's bike when some idiot opened a door right in our path and knocked us both off on to the road.

Ching! Ching!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

My uncle reversed over my tricycle then laughed when he brought it into the house flat as a pancake. I've been hypersensitive to pancakes and all forms of naan breads since. Makes sense. €10,000 please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Ruu wrote: »
    I blame the parent.
    How about blaming the dipshit judge who, instead of flinging the parent, barrister and case out of the court, awarded these lecherous pricks €10,000? Don't blame the chancer. Blame the idiot who enabled them.

Also-
    Mr Conway, on the basis of symptoms including hypersensitivity to noise such as thunder storms, fire crackers, cars backfiring, and an unwillingness to engage with other children, diagnosed her as having suffered a post traumatic reaction of a moderate type.

So what now? Sue science for allowing thunder to exist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I was only 12 when Sandra Cumiskey dropped her knickers in front of me in Balcurris field. I've suffered premature ejeculations since..

OisinT, I ask you - HOW MUCH?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Another genius scam. Almost as good as suing the NHS for being too fat with the added bonus of not being too fat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

hardCopy wrote: »
    That's ridiculous.

At the same time, the shop deserve some kind of rap on the knuckles if they're stacking stuff dangerously 14ft high where there are children around.

You'd wonder how some of these shelf stackers ever got their qualifications :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

seriously? my daughter is almost 2 and she has hypersensitivity to noise such as thunderstorms, i don't allow her play with firecrackers, i haven't heard a car back fire in years, (she does hate the hoover noise though) and if you bring her to a play park she won't leave her daddies side to play with other children, and she didn't have a bike 'almost' fall on her,

but seriously any parent that would exploit their child like this for cash is beyond despicable in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 The Joc

i blame the judges as well for giving out that kind of money wounldnt 500 have done them incompo its judges giving out compensation like that is driving insurance through the roof,most children are afraid of thunder and that sort of thing anyway and i often get afright myself when acar backfires

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

A shop that stacks bikes 14ft up and in such a way that they fall needs a visit from the Health & Safety Authority

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭MrPoker

This is fairly mild compared to the guy who got E10 million for sleepwalking.:rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69100545

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

How can they pedal such nonsense, this chain of events really grinds my gears. I've spoke on this before and it wheelie is not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

When I was 8 or 9 I got knocked down. I was wearing a snorkle hood all the way up and I walked out onto a road between 2 cars. The poor woman wasn't driving fast and all I ended up with was a sore head.

What did my Dad do? Told the poor woman to calm down it was my own stupid fault, gave her a cup of tea to help her relax and eventually brought me for an X-Ray, probably just to make sure it was ok to slap me upside the head for being such an idiot and traumatising the poor woman.

Nowadays..... Cha Ching!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

I blame Cowen... He should have saw it coming..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

A shop that stacks bikes 14ft up and in such a way that they fall needs a visit from the Health & Safety Authority

have you seen how smyths stack their bikes?

im in there regularly (2 year old) and to be fair to the staff the only way i could see this happening is if a staff member forgot to chain up the bike,

loose bikes/buggies all have a chain running through them that stops them from moving, usually only the boxes are up high, last year though i noticed bikes on higher shelves but they were all secured behind barriers and chained to each other, this is their cork (warehouse type) store so i im not sure if it would be the same in dublin, i would assume it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Sykk wrote: »
    I blame Cowen... He should have saw it coming..

This is typical, of the failed policies of the Fianna Fail government

Advertisement