Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

McL knew in November what was happening. He has other reasons not to remain on as well.

This is best for Ulster as well as McL.

Well the press conference with him and Humph would suggest otherwise, he was clearly gutted at being sacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I think it's the right move for Ulster. Obviously people will claim that if it aint broke don't fix it, but Leinster were doing great under Cheika, but Schmidt has taken them to another level. Ulster have improved immensely, but they need to move up a level and they obviously feel that a new coach is required to do that.

As for McLaughlin being treated poorly. If someone tells you they're looking for a new coach, surely it's clear that your job is not secure. Such is the job of a manager, you can't stay forever, unless you're Guy Noves. At least they've handed him a safety net with the Academy, and I think he'll do great there. He seems to be a coach who knows how to develop young talent.

I'd be interested in hearing Jaco's take on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

I am pie wrote: »
    Don't see it myself, but i think your looking for a bit of motivation/sht stirring before the match! Should have been communicated better, by the club and also by Brian. Clearly working to a plan which as a fan I am happy to accept.

First and foremost I have no interest in **** stirring. I do not use these boards as an inter provincial pi$$ing contest, I use them as a source of information on Irish rugby.

Secondly, it is perfectly clear to most that McLaughlin was treated horrendously by Ulster rugby. The guy got them to qualify for the knock out stages of the HC for the first time since '99 and for his troubles he gets shifted to a nothing job in the academy. Then when he expresses his disappointment at the press conference he is reprimanded and forced to apologise. The whole thing just oozes underhanded political maneuvering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Hagz wrote: »
    I think it's the right move for Ulster. Obviously people will claim that if it aint broke don't fix it, but Leinster were doing great under Cheika, but Schmidt has taken them to another level. Ulster have improved immensely, but they need to move up a level and they obviously feel that a new coach is required to do that.

As for McLaughlin being treated poorly. If someone tells you they're looking for a new coach, surely it's clear that your job is not secure. Such is the job of a manager, you can't stay forever, unless you're Guy Noves. At least they've handed him a safety net with the Academy, and I think he'll do great there. He seems to be a coach who knows how to develop young talent.

I'd be interested in hearing Jaco's take on it.

Completely different situation with Cheika. Firstly things weren't exactly great in his final season, by rights Leinster should have gone in the QF and were nowhere near good enough to win the HEC, the attack in particular was awful and some of his selections were really odd.

Secondly, when he signed his second contract he told Leinster he would be done when it expired as he thought it would be time for him and Leinster to move on. He was not removed by Leinster, he left of his own accord in a way that allowed Leinster go looking for a new coach in plenty of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

danthefan wrote: »
    McL knew in November what was happening. He has other reasons not to remain on as well.

This is best for Ulster as well as McL.

Well the press conference with him and Humph would suggest otherwise, he was clearly gutted at being sacked.
    The press conference directly contradicted what he said to the branch committee repeatedly throughout the year. The guy just isn't in a position to be ulsters full time head coach both in terms of aptitude and the other stuff.

And he hasn't been sacked.

• Advertisement

Completely different situation with Cheika. Firstly things weren't exactly great in his final season, by rights Leinster should have gone in the QF and were nowhere near good enough to win the HEC, the attack in particular was awful and some of his selections were really odd.

Secondly, when he signed his second contract he told Leinster he would be done when it expired as he thought it would be time for him and Leinster to move on. He was not removed by Leinster, he left of his own accord in a way that allowed Leinster go looking for a new coach in plenty of time.

I understand, but my point was that a new coach can take a team to another level. Leinster experienced great success with Cheika, but under Schmidt they've evolved into a stronger side. So even though McLaughlin has been fantastic for Ulster, maybe he's reached his climax, and maybe a new coach will lift the team higher.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

To me this has been handled badly in that no one is sure what exactly has happened.

If you don't want it to look like a coach is being sacked you don't inform the press that he won't be getting his contract renewed without already having his replacement ready to be named. Ulster don't have a replacement ready yet but have let it be known that McLaughlin isn't the man in their eyes to take them forward.

They've put a lot of pressure on themselves to now bring in a top quality coach with a top quality C.V. It'll be interesting to see who they bring in but if either Matt Sexton or John Kirwan get the job I'd be disappointed as neither of them have shown they are any better than McLaughlin.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    To me this has been handled badly in that no one is sure what exactly has happened.

If you don't want it to look like a coach is being sacked you don't inform the press that he won't be getting his contract renewed without already having his replacement ready to be named. Ulster don't have a replacement ready yet but have let it be known that McLaughlin isn't the man in their eyes to take them forward.

They've put a lot of pressure on themselves to now bring in a top quality coach with a top quality C.V. It'll be interesting to see who they bring in but if either Matt Sexton or John Kirwan get the job I'd be disappointed as neither of them have shown they are any better than McLaughlin.
    Ulster didn't let anyone know, it wad leaked in the papers and they then had to address it. It wasn't their choice.

Don't understand how you could be disappointed by Sexton or Kirwan but I'm sure that disappointment wouldn't last long as both are top class coaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

RTÉ last Friday indicated the decision to remove McLaughlin was down to "player power".

Around 2:09 on the pre match coverage (http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1135381), Pope refers to having been in Ulster the previous night and says "at the end of the day it was the players that voted - player power - you know they probably didn't see him [McLaughlin] as being the type of coach that could take them to the next level".

If the players wanted a change in head coach, if they did not have full confidence in him, then perhaps David Humphries had no other option?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ulster didn't let anyone know, it wad leaked in the papers and they then had to address it. It wasn't their choice.

Don't understand how you could be disappointed by Sexton or Kirwan but I'm sure that disappointment wouldn't last long as both are top class coaches.

I know you've mentioned before that you like both of them. When I look though it appears that Sexton is more an Academy coach than a head coach. While there is nothing wrong with that to me replacing McLaughlin with one is a bizarre move. One of the criticisms of McLaughlin is that he's had no, or not enough head coaching experience. This will be the same with Sexton.

Kirwan I'm not so sure on to be honest.

• Advertisement

There has been so much argument about the new rules on NIQ players as the IRFU try to promote "player succession", so does it seem to anybody else that we don't have a plan for developing Irish coaches.

Next season we could have three of four provincial coaches being overseas imports. Leinster's forwards and scrum coaches are also overseas imports, as are the national team forwards, attack/ defence and kicking coaches. It seems odd to put so much effort into developing Irish players and it seems comparatively little effort into developing Irish coaches.

I'm not suggesting a quota of Irish coaches across the provinces, and there may well be reasons O'Sullivan, McCall, and Bradley may not be appropriate for this position, but I'd like to somehow see more top class Irish coaches being developed.

ambid wrote: »

There has been so much argument about the new rules on NIQ players as the IRFU try to promote "player succession", so does it seem to anybody else that we don't have a plan for developing Irish coaches.

Next season we could have three of four provincial coaches being overseas imports. Leinster's forwards and scrum coaches are also overseas imports, as are the national team forwards, attack/ defence and kicking coaches. It seems odd to put so much effort into developing Irish players and it seems comparatively little effort into developing Irish coaches.

I'm not suggesting a quota of Irish coaches across the provinces, and there may well be reasons O'Sullivan, McCall, and Bradley may not be appropriate for this position, but I'd like to somehow see more top class Irish coaches being developed.
    Why is having Irish coaches such a big deal? The rugby branches should hire the beat man available for the job. It's completely different to the NIQ situation.

Why is having Irish coaches such a big deal? The rugby branches should hire the beat man available for the job. It's completely different to the NIQ situation.

Yeah maybe. But I think rugby will be stronger at all levels if we have good coaching and I think developing indigenous coaches is part of that.

I hope the union are helping people like Jackman, who want to be high level coaches, to map a career path (assuming they have the necessary skills obviously).

Of course the provinces should hire the best people for the job, but if three of four provincial head coaches are overseas imports I don't think that's ideal for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Wait, am I missing something? The announcement that this would be Brian's last season was made in November right? So what's happened in the last week? Has he stepped down out of the role of HC before the end of the season or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

RTÉ last Friday indicated the decision to remove McLaughlin was down to "player power".

Around 2:09 on the pre match coverage (http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1135381), Pope refers to having been in Ulster the previous night and says "at the end of the day it was the players that voted - player power - you know they probably didn't see him [McLaughlin] as being the type of coach that could take them to the next level".

If the players wanted a change in head coach, if they did not have full confidence in him, then perhaps David Humphries had no other option?

If that's the case, then fair enough, but I feel bad for McLoughlin if he wanted to stay on, as he's a good coach. But Ulster have a fantastic squad, it'll be interesting to see what they can do if they can land a very good coach.

Looking more and more like European heavy weights every season, which is great.

Also, let's not forget that Johann Mullers "rumoured" assumption of control of forward coaching coincided with their recent change in fortunes...

Although I think Brent Pope is a bit OTT in saying it was player power. Not sure what he's really basing that on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,760 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Also, let's not forget that Johann Mullers "rumoured" assumption of control of forward coaching coincided with their recent change in fortunes...

Although I think Brent Pope is a bit OTT in saying it was player power. Not sure what he's really basing that on.

I don't know about player power forcing McLaughlin out. This is certainly the first I've heard of it.

Buzz wasn't replaced as forwards coach last year so Muller stepped into the breach (and seemingly has done pretty well!) The fact that McLaughlin was never given a forwards coach to replace Davidson or indeed a proper assistant would suggest to me that he was always gone this season. Why employ a new forwards coach if a new head coach might want his own man?

While I'm pretty sure Muller coaching the pack is a lot more than a rumour, what has also been suggested is that Terblanche has taken on a pretty prominent role coaching the backs in the last couple of months. Maybe it's a coincidence but during this time we've had 6 try bonus point wins in 8 games!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

:rolleyes:

There was no gap at head coach, being the point.

Sorry, Dan there was. It's simple. Mclaughlin was asked last year IN JANUARY to consider renewing his contract FOR ONE YEAR when his contract expired in May at which point he was due to return to teaching. Brian said that the only way he could do that was if he was offered a permanent position on the staff as he was on leave from Royal Belfast Academical Institution. He couldn't take on another years sabbatical. It was known by everyone, including Brian, that Ulster at that time were going to bring in another coach at the end of that period. I would doubt very much if the management said to Brian !"Yeah, sure Brian. You can be our permanent head coach as long as you want." It would have been very clearly explained to Brian what would happen at the end of the year.

In consideration of his circumstances, his reasonable success and the fact that he was willing to continue for a year as head coach, he was given a contract with the agreement that at the end of the new period, his duties would change and that he would have a permanent job on the coaching staff.
    Here is a list of all the permanent rugby coaching staff in Ireland.
    1) Brain McLaughlin
    2) No one else.

I can categorically state that the players hold McLaughlin in high regard in many of the things that he does. Most, if not all of them, wouldn't give Pope the time of day. Pope is talking out of his fundamental orifice. One thing that wioll never happen again at U.R. is any player feeling he is above the coach. See Neil Best.

Pope is effluent stirring and talking a load of stool samples.

Look lads, it's simple. The management don't see Brian as the man to lead the team to be able to compete with Toulouse, Munster, Leinster et al. Massive investment in the team in terms of personnel has brought Ulster a good bit forward but too many things are still not firing on all cylinders. Anyone can go along to Nerwforge and watch the guys training. It doesn't take a genius to work out what is happening.

I wouldn't lose any sleep if Brian was to stay as head coach but I don't think he was the right man to begin with. He was appointed by the old committee over better qualified coaches. Richard Hill left Belfast after his interview having been told that the job was his only to be informed next day that 'someone' had changed their mind and that McLaughlin got the job. Brian's previous coaching zenith was taking over at Malone from Michael Dickson and leading them to relegation.

As a maniacal Ulster fan, I am delighted with the steps forward. Anyone who cares to look at the results from last season for example, with an analytical eye, will see that we won quite a few games in the last minute courtesy of Pienaar. We also won games against the 'top' sides during the 6Ns when they were at their weakest. We scraped past others sometimes with pieces luck which had deserted us in previous seasons. I don't think Ulster, given the playing personnel available, are anywhere near fulfilling their potential.

Last year and the year before the Academy was lauded for having on board a host of talented young players who were the future of Ulster and one or two seemed certs to move even higher. They have stagnated. The Academy isn't working anywhere near it's basic level in my view but that is stuff for another thread and opens another can of worms. McL. moving there could be the best move for Ulster and therefore for Ireland for quite a while. It's the right thing all round. He wasn't 'shafted'. Shafted would be 'Feck Off Brian and thanks. Here's a gold watch.'

Shafted isn't 'We'll give you another year as head coach and then a move to a permanent position in Ulster Rugby and pay your pension contributions until you decide to retire.

jacothelad wrote: »

He was appointed by the old committee over better qualified coaches.

Are you sure it was the old regieme that appointed McLaughlin? I'm finding it hard to remember the chronological order of things happening at Ulster but was Humphreys not already in place as Director of Operations before McGlock took the head coach role? I could be wrong though...

Sorry, Dan there was. It's simple. Mclaughlin was asked last year IN JANUARY to consider renewing his contract FOR ONE YEAR when his contract expired in May at which point he was due to return to teaching. Brian said that the only way he could do that was if he was offered a permanent position on the staff as he was on leave from Royal Belfast Academical Institution. He couldn't take on another years sabbatical. It was known by everyone, including Brian, that Ulster at that time were going to bring in another coach at the end of that period. I would doubt very much if the management said to Brian !"Yeah, sure Brian. You can be our permanent head coach as long as you want." It would have been very clearly explained to Brian what would happen at the end of the year.

In consideration of his circumstances, his reasonable success and the fact that he was willing to continue for a year as head coach, he was given a contract with the agreement that at the end of the new period, his duties would change and that he would have a permanent job on the coaching staff.
    1) Brain McLaughlin
    2) No one else.

I can categorically state that the players hold McLaughlin in high regard in many of the things that he does. Most, if not all of them, wouldn't give Pope the time of day. Pope is talking out of his fundamental orifice. One thing that wioll never happen again at U.R. is any player feeling he is above the coach. See Neil Best.

Look lads, it's simple. The management don't see Brian as the man to lead the team to be able to compete with Toulouse, Munster, Leinster et al. Massive investment in the team in terms of personnel has brought Ulster a good bit forward but too many things are still not firing on all cylinders. Anyone can go along to Nerwforge and watch the guys training. It doesn't take a genius to work out what is happening.

I wouldn't lose any sleep if Brian was to stay as head coach but I don't think he was the right man to begin with. He was appointed by the old committee over better qualified coaches. Richard Hill left Belfast after his interview having been told that the job was his only to be informed next day that 'someone' had changed their mind and that McLaughlin got the job. Brian's previous coaching zenith was taking over at Malone from Michael Dickson and leading them to relegation.

As a maniacal Ulster fan, I am delighted with the steps forward. Anyone who cares to look at the results from last season for example, with an analytical eye, will see that we won quite a few games in the last minute courtesy of Pienaar. We also won games against the 'top' sides during the 6Ns when they were at their weakest. We scraped past others sometimes with pieces luck which had deserted us in previous seasons. I don't think Ulster, given the playing personnel available, are anywhere near fulfilling their potential.

Last year and the year before the Academy was lauded for having on board a host of talented young players who were the future of Ulster and one or two seemed certs to move even higher. They have stagnated. The Academy isn't working anywhere near it's basic level in my view but that is stuff for another thread and opens another can of worms. McL. moving there could be the best move for Ulster and therefore for Ireland for quite a while. It's the right thing all round. He wasn't 'shafted'. Shafted would be 'Feck Off Brian and thanks. Here's a gold watch.'

Shafted isn't 'We'll give you another year as head coach and then a move to a permanent position in Ulster Rugby and pay your pension contributions until you decide to retire.

So basically what your saying is McLaughlin was good enough to get Ulster out of a rut, turn them into a very good attacking side which has a genuine shot at competing for major silverware in Europe and enabled young players to come through the ranks, yet he is not good enough to maintain these standards. Yeah, that makes sense. With regards to the academy job, that is most definitely being shafted. You develop a team into a side with a great chance of winning a HC one year and the next you are coaching youngsters. Anyone can see that is a major step backwards. One of the journos at the press conference made a great point. You have a guy who has turned Ulster rugby around and made great strides, yet you are letting this guy go. So who is his replacement and what does he offer that McLaughlin doesn't, to which Humphreys replies "We haven't yet decided on a replacement." What a fantastic idea that seems to be.

• Advertisement

So basically what your saying is McLaughlin was good enough to get Ulster out of a rut, turn them into a very good attacking side which has a genuine shot at competing for major silverware in Europe and enabled young players to come through the ranks, yet he is not good enough to maintain these standards. Yeah, that makes sense. With regards to the academy job, that is most definitely being shafted. You develop a team into a side with a great chance of winning a HC one year and the next you are coaching youngsters. Anyone can see that is a major step backwards. One of the journos at the press conference made a great point. You have a guy who has turned Ulster rugby around and made great strides, yet you are letting this guy go. So who is his replacement and what does he offer that McLaughlin doesn't, to which Humphreys replies "We haven't yet decided on a replacement." What a fantastic idea that seems to be.

Couldn't you argue though that it was Humphreys and his clever signings that have made Ulster a force in Europe. Their signings have been brilliant. Not to take all the credit away from McLaughlin though.

1) Brain McLaughlin
    2) No one else.

What you are missing is that you are crediting McLaughlin for Ulsters improvement, whereas ulster fans and thosr around the team don't.

What you are missing is that you are crediting McLaughlin for Ulsters improvement, whereas ulster fans and thosr around the team don't.

What is it with this country and coaches. When the team is going well it's down to the players and when they string together a couple of losses it's the coaches fault. How do you explaing the upturn in fortune in the last 2 years? Also qualifying under him for the knock out stages 2 years running seems far from coincidental giving the teams record over the past decade.

What is it with this country and coaches. When the team is going well it's down to the players and when they string together a couple of losses it's the coaches fault. How do you explaing the upturn in fortune in the last 2 years? Also qualifying under him for the knock out stages 2 years running seems far from coincidental giving the teams record over the past decade.
    It's been said here many times already, or if you just read jacos post (which I assumed you already had).

I'd give McLaughlin huge credit for Ulster's improvement in the last couple of years. Something did need to change though...not necessarily the head coach but he at least needed a full time recognised team behind him...however UR have decided to change the whole shebang by the looks of it.

If you are the Director of Operations at Ulster and you're looking to manage your resources the best you possibly can and you want the best man possible running the Academy then I think you'd come to the conclusion that McLaughlin is that man. The problem is he's already in a more senior position...

If Ulster get this right we'll have:

Head Coach - ???
    Forwards Coach - We hope Matt Sexton
    Backs Coach - ???
    Head of Academy - Brian McLaughlin

Compared to the current status quo that would be a more stable set up.

Will Doak get the heave?

Will Doak get the heave?

No idea, but he seems to be highly regarded by the players. I'd posted elsewhere before COS signed his new contract at Quins that a team of COS at the top with Sexton and Doak as forwards and backs coach might be a good team, but to be honest it's hard as fans to speculate on who the good coaches are when we don't see them at work!

bilston wrote: »
    Will Doak get the heave?

No idea, but he seems to be highly regarded by the players. I'd posted elsewhere before COS signed his new contract at Quins that a team of COS at the top with Sexton and Doak as forwards and backs coach might be a good team, but to be honest it's hard as fans to speculate on who the good coaches are when we don't see them at work!
    I haven't heard anything about Doak leaving but I'm not sure if maybe his contract is up as well. Marshall certainly seems to have benefitted from doaks expertise thus year.

I've heard from a committee member that they'd ideally like to see Muller taken onto the coaching team officially with his contract changed to reflect that.

Has there been any mention about JD back from France perhaps?

• Advertisement

I haven't heard anything about Doak leaving but I'm not sure if maybe his contract is up as well. Marshall certainly seems to have benefitted from doaks expertise thus year.

I've heard from a committee member that they'd ideally like to see Muller taken onto the coaching team officially with his contract changed to reflect that.

I would imagine Pienaar would deserve a bit of credit for the improvement in Marshall's game as well!.

Our first choice pack (still not huge depth though) is one of the best in Europe this season so Muller has to take a lot of credit for that and it wouldn't surprise me if the Ulster Branch wanted him...but in saying that he's still an important player for us and still has a year left on his contract. Henderson's U20s form is very timely with Muller likely to retire at the end of next season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement