Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

test4444 wrote: »
    6th or 7th choice?
    Listing all Props who played for Ulster this year, leaving out Botha and Young who are leaving adding in Afoa you have:

New signing callum black would be rated ahead of Cronin, Black can play both sides, also I hope that next season is the season that Macklin step up and plays in order to properly develop

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Ferris just tweeted he might be playing before seasons end.

durkadurka wrote: »
    Ferris just tweeted he might be playing before seasons end.
    and ulster might make the ML final, probably the same odds

IE I heard a few weeks ago that he should be able to play in the end of may so if Ulster get that far he will technically play before the end of the season

Neil Francis on the breakdown just claimed that Pienaar isn't coming back to Ulster after the WC

Anyone hear anything

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

He was right about something a couple of weeks ago too, but I've actually forgotten what it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭jacothelad

He was right about something a couple of weeks ago too, but I've actually forgotten what it was.

He told some one the time perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

McLaughlin getting the nod ahead of Jenno a day or two ahead of the team being announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ruan was approached by either Sale or Bath. (always get the two mixed up!)

It's true, and it's fairly common knowledge, so not surprised Franno got his hands in it. Very surprised noone else did.

Don't think the team are too concerned about him leaving. The Saffers aren't just in Ulster for rugby reasons, I don't think he'll leave unless he's being offered something fairly special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Pienaar is on a 2 year deal anyway so it would require Ulster releasing him from the remaining time on his contract which they simply won't do given how valuable he has been this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

GerM wrote: »
    Pienaar is on a 2 year deal anyway so it would require Ulster releasing him from the remaining time on his contract which they simply won't do given how valuable he has been this season.
    There is a negotiated release clause.

If there wasn't, then the approach that was made to him would be illegal. As it is at the moment, the board are aware of the discussions, and that would suggest to me that there is something in his contract that allows him to leave if certain criteria are met.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

It'd have to be Bath if anything surely? Sale are losing their best players and seem to be heading towards relegation territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Bath are looking for a "world class" 10 to replace Butch James. Carter was rumoured but he's on his way to Racing apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Have heard talk of Jake White being keen to take him to the Brumbies, hoping he stays. Would be a massive blow to loose him so soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

Bath are looking for a "world class" 10 to replace Butch James. Carter was rumoured but he's on his way to Racing apparently.

The Carter rumours seem like a bit of a stunt tbh, according to the wages he would be on, he'd take up a quarter of a teams wage bill in the premiership. Can't see Pienaar going there either to play 10 since he stipulated to Ulster he wanted to play 9, but I'm sure money would be a factor to anyone.
    I am pie wrote: »
    Have heard talk of Jake White being keen to take him to the Brumbies, hoping he stays. Would be a massive blow to loose him so soon.

I've heard that too, not sure how attractive a move to Australia for a SA player would be with the money and everything, I think the money is a lot better in SA.

Did anyone see this article of Ulster denying McIlroy is not the backer of the club? I'd be surprised if they could get anyone to pump money in given the structure of ownership with the IRFU. Someone would be efficiently throwing money away. The article says Ulster might now be operating on a higher budget than the other provinces which would be strange given that Munster and Leinster and definitely the highest earners.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ulster-deny-mcilroy-is-bankrolling-provincersquos-big-earners-2630281.html

David900 wrote: »
    Did anyone see this article of Ulster denying McIlroy is not the backer of the club? I'd be surprised if they could get anyone to pump money in given the structure of ownership with the IRFU. Someone would be efficiently throwing money away. The article says Ulster might now be operating on a higher budget than the other provinces which would be strange given that Munster and Leinster and definitely the highest earners.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ulster-deny-mcilroy-is-bankrolling-provincersquos-big-earners-2630281.html
    Ulster are definitely not spending more than Leinster or Munster. They have a much smaller squad (about 12 less in the senior squad than Munster I believe).

That said I wouldn't be surprised if they were spending close to what Leinster and Munster are spending. They do have a few players on big salaries.

In the IRFU's last annual report Munster was marked down as having paid around 3M in the year before in loan repayments on Thomond Park's expansion.

Leinster also have problems in terms of money, the RDS fleeces them when it comes to rent and RDS gets all money from drinks served at the stadium.

Ulster Rugby earn a large amount selling drinks in Ravenhill at matches

Ulster just seem to have the business end of things really well worked out, means they can afford these guys.

I know the following statement is completely useless on the internet but a guy I know close to the game told me they were getting outside money. Matt Williams also said on the breakdown that when he was there they had no money sitting around so its hard to see how they could just increase their wages by 1-1.5 million in two seasons, doesn't really make sense from a business point of view given there has been no apparent increase in turnover over the same time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

werent there rumours that ulster were in financial difficulties towards the starts of last season?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭jacothelad

CatFromHue wrote: »
    werent there rumours that ulster were in financial difficulties towards the starts of last season?

No. Ulster stay within budget. The previous CEO was too unimaginitive and kept everything on a very tight rein but Ulster were owed about £100,000 from one organisation. Think they got it o.k. They new CEO is a far better operator who has increased the revenue stream hugely. Massive sponsorship deals, events at Ravenhill etc. and unlike Leinster, who pay a lot of rent or Munster, who owe the IRFU millions, Ulster have no ground costs above running the place and have £15,000,000 in the bank for new stands. The ERC run and now the semi-final game at RDS will fill the 'notional' coffers at the IRFU and more than recoup the outlay for Pienaar and Muller. Most of Wannenberg's salary was very kindly paid for by Cardiff Blues.:D

We are still some way behind Leinster and Munster in the playing side though.

jacothelad wrote: »
    No. Ulster stay within budget. The previous CEO was too unimaginitive and kept everything on a very tight rein but Ulster were owed about £100,000 from one organisation. Think they got it o.k. They new CEO is a far better operator who has increased the revenue stream hugely. Massive sponsorship deals, events at Ravenhill etc. and unlike Leinster, who pay a lot of rent or Munster, who owe the IRFU millions, Ulster have no ground costs above running the place and have £15,000,000 in the bank for new stands. The ERC run and now the semi-final game at RDS will fill the 'notional' coffers at the IRFU and more than recoup the outlay for Pienaar and Muller. Most of Wannenberg's salary was very kindly paid for by Cardiff Blues.:D

We are still some way behind Leinster and Munster in the playing side though.

You must be getting sick of coming on here and repeating these answers. As has become a recurring trend, you are right, and the rumour mill is simply idle and incorrect gossip.

I've no idea why people don't trust the goings on at Ulster tbh other than perhaps outright jealousy. It's very believable that the smallest squad of the four provinces (Ulster's) can afford to pay better salaries than the largest squad (Munster's). [ X/35 > X/45]

Seems Ulster's ability to run themselves a tight ship counts against them with the general public, it's somewhat bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭overshoot

jacothelad wrote: »
    Most of Wannenberg's salary was very kindly paid for by Cardiff Blues.:D

gotta love that... especially since hes played a blinder and probably been far better than Xavier Rush would have been

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

overshoot wrote: »
    gotta love that... especially since hes played a blinder and probably been far better than Xavier Rush would have been

From what I've seen of the said Rush his game has declined from what it once was. Wonder does he now regret his turnabout last season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TheHighRoad

The bitterness coming from a section of Irish rugby fans towards Ulster is really pathetic. I say fair play to them but for a certain section of fans there always has to be a conspiracy when they're not on top, "oh the IRFU is giving them extra money thats why" or "they have a mysterious wealthy backer" but never "they have invested in the academy and have exercised some great financing". Well done Ulster I say.

The bitterness coming from a section of Irish rugby fans towards Ulster is really pathetic. I say fair play to them but for a certain section of fans there always has to be a conspiracy when they're not on top, "oh the IRFU is giving them extra money thats why" or "they have a mysterious wealthy backer" but never "they have invested in the academy and have exercised some great financing". Well done Ulster I say.

I guess this post is directed at me which I find quite offensive really. Asking where they are getting their money from and being bitter over the success this might bring are completely different things. I can't see the bitterness in my post tbf. Ulster doing good is great for Irish rugby and is probably necessary to bring about a truly competitive national team. I'm actually just interested in the situation as it makes no sense from a business point of view. Ulster have upped their wages by at least 1.5 m pounds over two seasons without increasing their fundamental revenue stream of ticket sales. I'll take jaco's explanation but there is no concrete proof for it either. Its impossible to tell from the accounts of the IRFU as they aren't broken down into the finances for the provinces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Ulster simply got rid of the deadwood in their squad and brought in higher quality into the first team. I wish Munster would do the same.
    In the IRFU's last annual report Munster was marked down as having paid around 3M in the year before in loan repayments on Thomond Park's expansion.

Do you know how much is to be payed back still?
    Leinster also have problems in terms of money, the RDS fleeces them when it comes to rent and RDS gets all money from drinks served at the stadium.

Thats one disadvantage of being based in South Dublin. They're not many options in terms of building their own stadium.

I don't think its anything to do with bitterness. If a neighbour suddenly went on a spending spree everyone would be wondering where the money is coming from. People are always curious about teams financial situation.

I guess this post is directed at me which I find quite offensive really. Asking where they are getting their money from and being bitter over the success this might bring are completely different things. I can't see the bitterness in my post tbf. Ulster doing good is great for Irish rugby and is probably necessary to bring about a truly competitive national team. I'm actually just interested in the situation as it makes no sense from a business point of view. Ulster have upped their wages by at least 1.5 m pounds over two seasons without increasing their fundamental revenue stream of ticket sales. I'll take jaco's explanation but there is no concrete proof for it either. Its impossible to tell from the accounts of the IRFU as they aren't broken down into the finances for the provinces.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/my_club/ulster/9248537.stm
    heard rumours that this was 7 figures a season.

Ulster may have been saving money for stadium expansion in recent seasons but found out last season that the government would splash for them and are spending savings.

I'm pretty sure Ulster cut a lot of fringe squad members over the last few seasons so maybe their wages are going towards the foreign signings.

profitius wrote: »

Do you know how much is to be payed back still?

From the last accounts available it says they gave them €9m and they had paid back €5.7m in one section. In another section it says they are due to pay back close to €15 still. So I'm not sure, you'd need to go through it in more detail to dig down into it. Says all loans to clubs are charged interest at 1%p.a.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TheHighRoad

It wasn't directed at you. It was directed at the undercurrent of feeling amongst certain fans that Ulster are getting unfair advantages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/my_club/ulster/9248537.stm
    heard rumours that this was 7 figures a season.

Ulster may have been saving money for stadium expansion in recent seasons but found out last season that the government would splash for them and are spending savings.

I'm pretty sure Ulster cut a lot of fringe squad members over the last few seasons so maybe their wages are going towards the foreign signings.

well the report says it could be be biggest irish club deal.
    that means they topped out an Adidas sponsership which would be worth a heafty ammount of yo-yos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

From the last accounts available it says they gave them €9m and they had paid back €5.7m in one section. In another section it says they are due to pay back close to €15 still. So I'm not sure, you'd need to go through it in more detail to dig down into it. Says all loans to clubs are charged interest at 1%p.a.

I heard a few years ago that it was almost paid off or at least well on the way to being paid off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement