Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

I might be in the minority, but I think he should go.

Get a year of not quite test standard rugby in, get some consistent gametime, put himself in S15 window too.

Get himself some cash in case he genuinely isn't going to be able to play in 2/3 seasons time.

Avoid massive impacts and injuries whilst trying to clear up his current situation.

Experience a new culture.

So many positives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Good luck to him. Hope he stays injury free

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

emmet02 wrote: »

Get a year of not quite test standard rugby in, get some consistent gametime, put himself in S15 window too.

Get himself some cash in case he genuinely isn't going to be able to play in 2/3 seasons time.

Avoid massive impacts and injuries whilst trying to clear up his current situation.

So many positives.
    100% how I see it.

And in fairness a lot of people have been planning without him for a while anyway. Who knows, might be a path to greatness

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

So many positives.

+1. Spot on. Ferris has an appalling injury record, and if I'm not mistaken the IRFU were offering him pay for play. Realistically, top-level rugby, assuming he can remain (against the odds) injury free, he's got a season or two at most. He's done his bit, more than his bit, for province and country. Time for a pay-check and some travel methinks. Good luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

So many positives.
    I think you are spot on, even though, as Leinster fan, my opinion shouldn't count. We were rightly pissed off when Sexton signed for Racing, but these guys have a small enough window of opportunity to make good money, and are only a big injury away from ending their careers, and having to deal with crocked bodies for the rest of their lives......and in ten years's time, we, the fans, will not be paying their utility bills.

They have to take their opportunities, and if they can enjoy living in another country for a while, all the better. Ferris has had dreadful luck with injury, and has served Irish rugby well, so we should wish him the best if he decides to head away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

From Fez's point of view I can understand it, plus it all works out for a return to Ireland well in time for the WC.

Still I'd also like to see him back fully fit for Ulster next season. A Ferris/Henry/Williams back row is frankly an awesome prospect.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think Ferris will be big in Japan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

CatFromHue wrote: »

I think defenders will direct him to the tryline.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭MolBee

bilston wrote: »
    From Fez's point of view I can understand it, plus it all works out for a return to Ireland well in time for the WC.

Still I'd also like to see him back fully fit for Ulster next season. A Ferris/Henry/Williams back row is frankly an awesome prospect.

I'd be of the same thinking. Selfishly I want him to stay but I can see no reason why he shouldn't leave given the circumstances.

That back row is dreamy. I'm pretty sure we've seen it once and it was against Connacht, incidently though I missed that match!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

CatFromHue wrote: »

You would presumo that........:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,369 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Fezilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

awec wrote: »
    Fezilla.

IP thief!! :mad: :pac:

It's been increasingly suggested that Ferris needed two operations at the same time. One to clean the ankle up and one to repair the raptured tendon. Doing both at the same time would have ruled him out of the 6Ns (which he didn't play in anyway) however he'd be back now and would have HEC and Rabo play off rugby to look forward and potentially a Lions tour as well.

The IRFU wouldn't allow this as they wanted him fit for the 6Ns despite knowing they were jeopardising the rest of his season. Now I can understand why they did it given they want their best players available for the 6Ns. However if this did happen surely they have to realise it was their decision that has prevented him from actually proving his fitness and they should consider this with their new contract offer?

Anyone know if we will have a new kit next season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Wasn't that shirt new this year?

The ulster training top they were wearing in the warm up is a beaut. The red checkered top. Anyone know if you can buy it? My uncle is an Ulster man and its his birthday in a few weeks, it would be perfect.

decisions wrote: »
    Wasn't that shirt new this year?

The ulster training top they were wearing in the warm up is a beaut. The red checkered top.
    Yea, will we keep the same top for next season?

I love our kits, but the current "leisurewear" type stuff is brutal. The polo tops are horrific, and I HATE that American college-esque logo thing they're trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

awec wrote: »
    Yea, will we keep the same top for next season?

I love our kits, but the current "leisurewear" type stuff is brutal. The polo tops are horrific, and I HATE that American college-esque logo thing they're trying.
    I saw a few of those polo shirts around the rds, horrible things. Leinsters off field stuff this year is brilliant in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭rchendz92

Any way to know how full Twickenham is going to be? Just interested since my tickets arrived during the week!

Bottom tier and some of the middle tier I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

Any word on a Paddy McCallister/Chris Farrell return?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

Farrells meant to be back for the JWC

rchendz92 wrote: »
    Any way to know how full Twickenham is going to be? Just interested since my tickets arrived during the week!

20-25k is my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭rchendz92

Thanks. Just did some research, and apparently two weeks ago 20,000 had been sold in total http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/11280.php
    so 25-30k would be my guess now.

rchendz92 wrote: »
    Thanks. Just did some research, and apparently two weeks ago 20,000 had been sold in total http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/11280.php
    so 25-30k would be my guess now.

There may be a few Leinster and Munster fans who are over who will buy tickets on the day...hope they will be supporting us though...!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

ERC just confirmed that Ulster's semi-final venue would be Aviva Stadium.

Okay so it may be an April Fools, but supposedly Bowe will make the bench at the weekend. He did say a couple of weeks ago that he was a couple of weeks away.

Fitzpatrick is also likely to be available for selection, but to be honest, I was satisfied with Lutton's performance and would have Afoa playing the full 80 anyway.

If true we're almost at full strength :D

It would be amazing to get Bowe back now at the business end of the season!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Leinster v Ulster on now on setanta

MolBee wrote: »
    Okay so it may be an April Fools, but supposedly Bowe will make the bench at the weekend. He did say a couple of weeks ago that he was a couple of weeks away.

Fitzpatrick is also likely to be available for selection, but to be honest, I was satisfied with Lutton's performance and would have Afoa playing the full 80 anyway.

If true we're almost at full strength :D

Would you pick Bowe though?

I'd be looking at another 6-2 split and assuming Paul Marshall is one my other back would be Olding (again assuming Marshall is back). Olding is in electric form but also covers a multitude of positions. I suppose Tommy does as well but he will be rusty as hell.

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    Would you pick Bowe though?

I'd be looking at another 6-2 split and assuming Paul Marshall is one my other back would be Olding (again assuming Marshall is back). Olding is in electric form but also covers a multitude of positions. I suppose Tommy does as well but he will be rusty as hell.

6-2 split again would be good with regards to not having to leave out any of Wilson, Diack or Stevenson but there's cover there regardless, so I would go for a 5-3 split if Bowe is available, with Paul Marshall and Olding in there too. Yes he will be rusty, but, it's Bowe. First match back for us earlier in the season he scored two tries...

against Cardiff... but still.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement