Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queensland Flood Updates

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

since it is gone from front news headlines here in ireland, how are ye all down under, and how is the clean up going, is the weather favourable

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

QLD is a big clean up job now. Victoria is flooding at the moment - Horsham and Echuca under threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Yeah but its Melbourne.

Its their fault Canberra exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Uni seems to be located in one of the four buildings that's still closed in Brisbane CBD, ditto for girlfriend's work. I haven't been into the CBD since last tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Damo/Shane are you claiming that Irish people who did the specified work to get the 2nd WHV only actually did the work because they are too thick/scared to try and lodge a bodgy application.

Thick was an overstatement on my part, sorry.
    Scared, without a doubt. Apart from quirky Germans and such why the hell else would anyone go to the arsehole of nowhere with the well known risks involved? The main reason the clause exists is because Aussies dont want to do the work- even when I was up there there were dole queue local lads who were only on the farm fcuking around because Centrelink threatened to cut them off if they didnt at least give the impression of working.
    Sure I seem to remember you mentioned you were on a 2nd WHV yourself, are you saying you were thick/scared to do the work or did you lodge a bodgy one?

I worked sites up the country after getting royally shafted by hostels promising work to bleed rent out of you and farmers who overcrowded their pay- per- bucket work to the extent that nobody on the farm could earn a wage worth chasing up . The main reason I did the work was because unlike everyone else whos visa comes in in 48 hours odd, my first year visa took a good week or two to come in, so I got a bit paranoid I had been red flagged for some reason and it might hapopen with the second. Im owed a whopping 16 odd dollars from my 2 farm work days that I never bothered chasing. But thats neither here nor there in this thread. But certainly if I didnt score labouring of course I would have lied.
    Yes its bad form

Ok. To put it in perspective, you are saying it is wrong to wish personal misfortune on individuals who underpaid me, some might say stole my time, for about 12 hours of working in a field in the sun? If someone burgled your house and 3 weeks later you see them hobbling down the road because someone gave them a hiding, you would feel bad for them? It is bad for the mostly good people there, but Ive had 3 employers from Qld who were so tight they would kill their own granny for a dollar, and I feel no compassion for these three. Sorry but given the attitudes commonly displayed here to people seeking whatever means necessary to escape the nightmare, words fail me.

Final point on this- the original issue was whether there was anything morally wrong with chasing work in a developed country where most of the damage is lilely covered by insurance anyway. No, there isnt IMO. Its not exactly like going to Haiti and stealing reconstruction jobs there and extorting the repair money from uninsured locals. But we can agree to disagree and leave her at that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Im owed a whopping 16 odd dollars from my 2 farm work days that I never bothered chasing.

I'm happy to leave it there as well.

I do hope however you eventually found a decent employer for your regional 88 days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Absolutley Fuppin Pishin down again here, thunder and lightnng and We've been promised a Fuppin Hailstorm, So I'm off to the bottlo tro stock up then I'm shovin the BMW in the Shed for the night

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Absolutley Fuppin Pishin down again here, thunder and lightnng and We've been promised a Fuppin Hailstorm, So I'm off to the bottlo tro stock up then I'm shovin the BMW in the Shed for the night

have a xxxx bitter for me! Was thinking about trying to source a few bottles here(nz).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Claasman wrote: »
    have a xxxx bitter for me! Was thinking about trying to source a few bottles here(nz).

What? Why?

No aussies actually drink the stuff.

Its Tooheys or VB all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Jumpy wrote: »
    What? Why?

Loads of Aussies drink XXXX!!

• Advertisement

Not here.

What? Why?

I'd rather drink flood water than Tooheys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Maybe it's a Queensland thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

I have worked mainly in rural australia, and IME, xxxx is mainly qld, with touhys and vb popular more popular as you go south. Also, VB = vomit bombs, just rank.

Rainin HEAVY here again, creek is startin to creep over the run at the other side, and theres thunder and lightning, theres also a chill in the air that suggests hail:(

Oh yeah XXXX is a QLD thing, I'm a Tooheys man meself but tis fair on impossible to get in FNQ tis XXXX or GOLD thems yer choices, I should just offer a bit of cautionary advice, Powers, Powers Gold, or Gulf, Above all beware of Gulf, do not be seduced by its $24 for a slab, they are MUCK, seriously, its in that climate that you grow a grudging appreciation for XXXX

Raining heavy here too. I'm always worried about hail with the car but I have a duvet ready for it.

You somewhere in the Valley??????
    king tide Saturday :eek:

I's out near tha Airport, but we has a floodwotsit out the back which has functioned rather effectivley ( Merc aside:o) so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Just got emailed this at work. It's crazy!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/infographics/qld-floods/beforeafter.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

wanta
    thank you very much for that, how devestating for all.

You somewhere in the Valley??????
    king tide Saturday :eek:
    Nah, Kelvin Grove. I'll be in NSW at the weekend, the car will be safely at home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

I do. I stick to the XXXX Gold though, but only when I'm too scabby to buy some of the good boutique brews that are popping up around the place.

On topic: some of my old friends have been heavily affected. One guy lost everything, house totally under water. My cousin's house went under, and while holding out in a caravan park, some ahole stole her car in broad daylight and nearly knocked over an elderly couple in the process. fk sakes!

On the insurance topic, yeah technically those without insurance should not be covered, but in an eye opening situation like this, its humanity that prevails. People help each other out, and despite the constant recurrence of "Aussie spirit" or "Queensland spirit" on the telly, its not.. Its Human. People dig each other out don't they.

Rainin here again, buildin up to a King tide at 11

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Explanation why the floods happened

The kicker is a lot of policys do not cover rising water only falling.

Now is a good time to see what your policy says about it. So considering 25% (or a lot)of australians do not have insurance and a good portion may have half cover.

A lot of people are going to feel this for a while.

Advertisement