Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queensland Flood Updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Fingers crossed that the waters are now receding and the levels in the Wivenhoe reservoir drop. Would be more worried that we'll have a rerun of this in a few weeks if we have more bad weather. Catchments are saturated.

We're on - believe it or not - grassfire warnings here in Vic for the coming weeks, because the grass has taken off with all this rain, and it'll only take a week of hot, dry weather to leave it open to grassfire. They can't keep up with cutting it at the rate its growing.

Hopefully QLD will get a breather where they can clean up, batton down and watch out the rest of the season with one cautious eye on the clouds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Sweeper where abouts are you in Vic are you in the fire zone[Not suburban Melbourne]?

Yep. The major Kilmore East/Murrindindi fire of black saturday started less than 5km east of my house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Just out of Curiosity, Do Kilmore East & Murrindindi mean the same thing in their native language?

'Big Forest over there'
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Faust1

This may be slightly unethical but there are going be thousands of (re)construction jobs available in Brisbane, when the flood water recedes. This is good news (no disrespect meant to the people of Queensland) for many skilled Irish workers forced to emigrate at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

It really is a disaster zone off all porportions I found this piece on the Guardian, Its like something out of a movie :eek:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/13/flooded-brisbane-war-zone-queensland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Ozeire wrote: »
    The Aftermath of flooding in Brisbane yesterday

Hope the worst is over for them

what is the weather forecast for the next week for that part of the world, it is frightning for the people having to put up with this,

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Just makes you stop and think.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Faust1 wrote: »
    This may be slightly unethical but there are going be thousands of (re)construction jobs available in Brisbane, when the flood water recedes. This is good news (no disrespect meant to the people of Queensland) for many skilled Irish workers forced to emigrate at the moment.

Never a good thing to profit from the suffering of others . The last thing that should be thought is how this will benefit others .

If things were right in the world all those peoples houses should be reconstructed free taking from the taxes of people as in truth that what i would like my taxes to go to . To know that if ever i happen on hard times i'll be ok.

But that's ideal world and we don't like n that sort of world do we.

If the news is to be believed the reaction of the residents of Queensland is great to see.

Armys of volunteers lining up to clear the homes of others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

The Life in Australia book sums it up (which I assume you all read before you signed your values statement) :)
    Australia has a strong tradition of ‘mateship’, where people provide help to others voluntarily, especially
    those in difficulty. A mate is often a friend but can also be a spouse, partner, brother, sister, daughter or son.
    A mate can also be a total stranger. There is also a strong tradition of community service
    and volunteering.

For me this is the Quintesential image of a Flood in QLD
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2b7RgQ20Sa8GrJT-Db1YmlIlAttckhKtRImBfzCgRd9BmKyPK

Every flood situation You will see at least on photo of a few Mates in a Tinnie with a Kelpie just doin the Rounds, rescuin anyone who needs rescuin and Generally just being decent blokes ( Also they usually have an Esky full of XXXX:D)

Just out of Curiosity, Do Kilmore East & Murrindindi mean the same thing in their native language?

'Big Forest over there'
    :)

It means Living in the Mountains.

Kilmore is not an aboriginal name :P

Kilmore feckin well is an abboriginal name, just used by the Aboriginal natives of a different Island:p

Just started Raining again here :( Heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Faust1 wrote: »

slightly unethical yes......... unless they are prepared to come and work for nothing.

There are a lot of business went under (excuse the pun) in QLD floods and some wont be able to start up immediately so there will be plenty of locals needing that reconstruction work and they should have first dibbs on it. One of my Irish mates living in Brisbane has been driving an excavator for 3 days solid for nothing, plus his missus has invited a few old timers to stay with them for a few weeks and has been making sandwiches for volunteers and washing clothes out of their own pocket.

Any way they say its going to take 2 years to rebuild, by the time skilled people stick in a visa application and the visa is actually granted the place will be straight again.

Although might be a valid idea for the Aus government to quickly invite some jobless skilled young people from Ireland on some sort of volunteer visa to work for 2 years rebuilding the place for Bed, board & some beer tokens (no money) with the understanding to going permanent free of charge when the jobs done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Gettin Mental here again today, I'd say We've had about 3 Inches today, seriously, if anyone notices a Set of 17 inch Mercedes Alloys floating down stream they're mine :o

tho if this rain keeps up there might just be an S-class floating after them.

There was a piece on the news last night showing people at a Brissy mosque donating, some of em were black....must be shocking for you given your other piece in AH :confused:
    Never a good thing to profit from the suffering of others . The last thing that should be thought is how this will benefit others

Eh, yeah. **** that- Queensland farmers make god knows how much profit in unpaid or underpaid exploitative labour from Irish people thick enough/ too nervous to attempt the legal way to a 2nd year visa. Obviously there are alot of great great people up there but I met enough money hungry rednecks up there in my time as well. I personally hope the fcuks I had to deal with are bankrupt (from my impressions they would be too tight to buy any type of insurance- happy funkin days).

Black White Yellow Or Green it dosent Matter Y'r either a Queenslander or yer a Cnut.
    m makin the Effort to be Aussie'and fair play to em so are they

as for you're rant about Farmers, thats for a different thread

Eh, yeah. **** that- Queensland farmers make god knows how much profit in unpaid or underpaid exploitative labour from Irish people thick enough/ too nervous to attempt the legal way to a 2nd year visa.
    Obviously there are alot of great great people up there but I met enough money hungry rednecks up there in my time as well. I personally hope the fcuks I had to deal with are bankrupt (from my impressions they would be too tight to buy any type of insurance- happy funkin days).

There is nothing against charter in this rant, your entitled to your opinion Damo. On a personnal note it turns my stomach you would make such a sweeping statement.

You know where the airport is.

There was a piece on the news last night showing people at a Brissy mosque donating, some of em were black....must be shocking for you given your other piece in AH :confused:

MOD AH stays in AH

Thanks lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Never a good thing to profit from the suffering of others . The last thing that should be thought is how this will benefit others .
    Everybody has to eat and there is insurance money that has to be spent. I think there will be plenty of re-construction work going on in Brisbane for the foreseeable future.
    If things were right in the world all those peoples houses should be reconstructed free taking from the taxes of people as in truth that what i would like my taxes to go to . To know that if ever i happen on hard times i'll be ok.
    There's a difficulty with blanket application of that policy and it has to do with something called moral hazard. Many of these homes should not have been built where they were and the result is that they have been destroyed. I empathise and sympathise with those people but rebuilding them free of charge only to be destroyed again in the next flood is madness. Maybe they should be funded to relocate with a compulsary purchase (or resumption as it's known here).

Eh, no thanks??

I live in a fire area. I pay extra on my house insurance for fire protection. My insurance policy is $750 a year. My home insurance will go up again next year as a natural result of the insurance payouts for the Queensland - and Victoria, now - floods. Why then, precisely, should it be the status quo that I see my tax dollars go towards rebuilding houses for people who have:

a) built on a flood plane knowingly
    b) taken an insurance policy out with an insurer who doesn't cover floods - especially when Suncorp DO cover floods
    c) or taken out no insurance policy at all?

This was a major issue after the Victorian fires - some people didn't have home insurance at all. There was a brief suggestion that the government should pay to rebuild the houses for those with no insurance and those with insurance could fund themselves, but seriously, how is that fair and equitable for all involved?

You'll find the government puts a huge amount of money into this anyway to fix it, but on the face of it I don't pay my taxes so that someone else doesn't have to pay home insurance, and I don't think that's an appropriate message for the people.

It's also not the Australian way - Australia is all about a fair go, and on that basis I'd rather see the insurers - who'll be penalising us all anyway - pay out on policies that have been taken out and ignore their no-flood-cover clauses. This is a country where you get what you work for, and people team together to help each other, it's not a country where there's a message that you can live in a danger zone and someone else will pick up the pieces for you.

Eh, no thanks??

I live in a fire area.

I have to agree with if sweeper I pay insurance why should my taxes pay for someone elses re-build. Its not feasible.

Besides what do you re-build like for like or dump a portable on their block ...?

In the next few months anyone living around sweeper should double check their insurance. I have a bad feeling about this summer.

Zambia wrote: »
    There is nothing against charter in this rant, your entitled to your opinion Damo. On a personnal note it turns my stomach you would make such a sweeping statement.

You know where the airport is.

A sweeping statement is acknowledging that most Queenslanders are good people in my post? I guess it is in a way. A sweeping statement would be to say all Queenslanders are money hungry slavedrivers, which I never actually said, but you seem to have accused me of having done so. If you dispute that Queensland is a hive of dodgy and exploitative rural work conditions Id love to hear your basis for it. Otherwise shove your completely baseless accusations of sweeping generalisations up your arse, as I never made one in my post.

FF mother-effing sake. Really. What age are you? My main point was that it was laughable to bring up the ethical conflicts of chasing construction work in a state which profits off a large amnunt of unpaid or badly paid farm labour on a daily basis.
    Black White Yellow Or Green it dosent Matter Y'r either a Queenslander or yer a Cnut.

m makin the Effort to be Aussie'and fair play to em so are they

Jesus H Christ. Judging by some of your previous posts- ah the blacks, a grand bunch of lads, as long as they are funding the clean up....just dont let them talk to you as you hate them regardless. Embarrasing even by the high bar of Australian racism standards. 600 people have died in Brazillian flooding this week....mostly darkies probably. Nevermind.

Obviously there are alot of great great people up there but I met enough money hungry rednecks up there in my time as well.

You said there was a lot of great people , not most are good people.

Damo at a time when Queensland has suffered greatly you decide to stick your oar with this gem.
    I personally hope the fcuks I had to deal with are bankrupt (from my impressions they would be too tight to buy any type of insurance- happy funkin days).

You may indeed be right about them but this is not the time. Thats what turns my stomach.

Zambia wrote: »

You may indeed be right about them but this is not the time. Thats what turns my stomach.

You think its bad form to hope some of the semi literate hicks who have shafted god knows how many Irishmen with tacit governmental support (or at least inaction) have had some of their precious sources of money taken away from them?

Bollocks, Im afraid. Rather than backpedalling how about an ackonwledgement that your accusation of me labelling all Queenslanders as a load of greedy rednecks was complete sh1te?

You think its bad form to hope some of the semi literate hicks who have shafted god knows how many Irishmen with tacit governmental support (or at least inaction) have had some of their precious sources of money taken away from them?
    Yes its bad form.

Bollocks, Im afraid. Rather than backpedalling how about an ackonwledgement that your accusation of me labelling all Queenslanders as a load of greedy rednecks was complete sh1te?

I never said you labelled all of them, I said you labeled enough of them and now is not the time to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Eh, yeah. **** that- Queensland farmers make god knows how much profit in unpaid or underpaid exploitative labour from Irish people thick enough/ too nervous to attempt the legal way to a 2nd year visa.

but I thought doing the exploitative labour was the legal way ...unless....

Damo/Shane are you claiming that Irish people who did the specified work to get the 2nd WHV only actually did the work because they are too thick/scared to try and lodge a bodgy application.

Sure I seem to remember you mentioned you were on a 2nd WHV yourself, are you saying you were thick/scared to do the work or did you lodge a bodgy one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

You don't have to do the farm work. You could just go home or elsewhere. Aussies in Ireland don't get a second year's WHV. Exploitative my hole.

• Advertisement

Also they only work you as hard as their other employees.
    Ireland has obviously made you soft Damo. Australia is a hard land.
    Secondly, that IS the legal way. Not doing the work is the ILLEGAL way.

Advertisement