Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Aimlessly Down Under - From 54 to 53 sec 400m

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bart simpson

i dont understand, like i can understand them wanting to get the standard as high as possible but that should not be done at the expense of fairness, could they not add a qualifing heat and by doing so have people that met both the original deadline and the extended deadline get a run?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

There has been a few emails back and forth today between myself and yer man. I couldn’t be bothered copying and pasting them up here. The general jist is that he doesn’t really care a great deal about my concerns. I wouldn’t mind if the deadline was changed ages ago, but they changed the deadline at the very last minute. In fact Athletics Victoria put up on their facebook a status on Feb 2nd urging people to get their applications in by the end of the day, so clearly they didn’t decide to change the deadline until after this. He just spouted off some spiel about the deadlines being default deadlines which they put down at the start of the season and that they always change them anyway. But if this was the case then why did AV still have the deadline as Feb 2nd at lunchtime on Feb 2nd.

I’ve also since googled this guy’s name and have found out that he is both the father AND the coach of one of the top young female sprinters in Australia, a 23.7 second runner at youth level. Hmmm, sounds like he is looking after a few people close to him I think. I’m not one to speculate (a lie!!) but something tells me that he wants to beef up the meet so his daughter gets as strong a competition as possible before the big end of season meets to come (National Juniors, National Seniors, Olympic trials etc).

I’m pretty disgusted by it all!

Change of scenery for training this evening. It only dawned on me yesterday that the Melbourne Uni track is actually not that far away from me, about 10 minutes on a tram, and half way between my house and the centre of the city. I enquired about the availability to the general public and I was told that I can use it any time after 8ish as the Melbourne Uni AC have it reserved for a few hours until then. It is free of charge to use also, so happy days. So I went home from work. Put on dinner straight away, had it all eaten by 6.50pm, let it settle, left my house at 8pm, and got to the track at around 8.15pm. Pretty much began my session at around 8.30pm, a good 1 hour and 45 minutes after I finished dinner, so it all worked out pretty well.

The track is grand altogether. Maybe not the greatest track you will ever see but does the job. 6 lanes, 8 in the home straight, with long straights of 100m, and very short but tight bends. There's a jumping bit and pole vault and high jump facilities also. But with a hockey pitch in the centre of the infield, there doesn't seem to be any throwing facilities at all. It's all floodlit and stays open until 10pm.

Did 3x300 with 4 minute recovery. The first rep I was only finding my feet a bit with regards doing these reps on a track. The 2nd rep I was probably approaching 90% effort, and the last I pushed harder, probably 95%. I wasn't using spikes as it is too late in the season to start doing intense training sessions in spikes. The risk of injury is too great, so just stuck with the road running shoes. The goal was more the speed endurance, rather than technique so wasn't up on my toes like I would be when in spikes (hard to do so in road runners). Times were:

53(very low) - 51(mid) - 50(mid)

A core session afterwards, and then tram back. In total I was only gone from the house for 1 hour 55 minutes, so not as much of a trek as it would be if I went to my track out in Collingwood.

Good session all in all. Vent a bit of anger over the High Velocity shambolics!

Back to the track for another 8.30pm session, this time 4x200m with 3 mins recovery. Wasn't completely flat our, but not hugely off. Maybe 90-95%. Was fighting a headwind for most of the session it seemed and was in road running shoes, but still a bit dissappointed with the times:

33(high) - 31(high) - 33(low) - 32(mid)

The last time I did 200 reps on the track was back in september. It was a 3x200 session and I did them all under 31 seconds. However I was wearing spikes on that occasion.

The effort levels and performance was probably similar to what I have been doing on the Tan over the last 6 weeks. It's just when you see the actual times on a track, and compare it to what I have done in a race (sub 27), you feel a little deflated, but not to worry.

Going into my session this evening, for one of the first time's I felt like I didn't want to go out the door. Saturday's race has taken a lot out of me physically, and mentally. Shins were back bothering me for the first time in ages, and in general I just feel tired from a long season.

But out I went, in search of a hill so I could do a hill session. I walked over to my Oval and low and behold I found this sort of steep grass mound. I was intrigued, and my entire mindset changed. This provided something a bit different. It isn't a long hill, but it is steep, so I measured it out, and it was around 30m. I decided to do 12x30 on this hill with just 45 seconds rest in between each. I very much enjoyed this new session and by the end of it I had a completely different outlook and I feel a lot more positive. All my reps were between 7.3 and 7.7 seconds.

Tomorrow I will find out if I made it into Tuesday's race. Very frustrating having to wait so late to find out if I am racing but not much I can do about it.

So going to take 2 days off now. Have a housewarming party for my new place tomorrow night, and then am brewing some beer with friends on Saturday morning, and then off to Lakeside Stadium to cheer on our girls in the AV Shield final (the men's team didnt qualify). Back to training on Sunday, by which time I should know if I am racing on tuesday.

• Advertisement

Just found out that the State Championships have been changed from a 2 day event to a 3 day event. As luck would have it the men's 400m is on at 9pm on the friday night :(. So rather than get a good night's sleep and get up ready to rock on Saturday afternoon, I now have to run 13 and a half hours after waking up, and after a long day of work. Not ideal at all. Yes it is the same for everybody, but I'm running for a PB, no other reason. Again, not much I can do about it. Frustrating. It also is a very short programme on the Friday evening with no finals, so there will be piss all people in the stands watching it, unlike the Sat and Sunday. I might enter the 200m on the Saturday aswell now that they've made this change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

04072511 wrote: »
    Just found out that the State Championships have been changed from a 2 day event to a 3 day event. As luck would have it the men's 400m is on at 9pm on the friday night :(. So rather than get a good night's sleep and get up ready to rock on Saturday afternoon, I now have to run 13 and a half hours after waking up, and after a long day of work. Not ideal at all. Yes it is the same for everybody, but I'm running for a PB, no other reason. Again, not much I can do about it. Frustrating. It also is a very short programme on the Friday evening with no finals, so there will be piss all people in the stands watching it, unlike the Sat and Sunday. I might enter the 200m on the Saturday aswell now that they've made this change.

I wouldnt worry about it too much, the colours t&f athletics back in the day used to be on Weds evenings after a full day of college and i always ran well. Ditto the Battersea road races i did this summer on Monday evenings at 7pm, i broke 18 for the first time there in a 5k. Just make sure you rememeber hydration and nutrition throughout the day. Waiting around all day in work will drive you potty though.

Don't all the best athletes in the world run at 9pm in the diamond leagues on Friday nights ;)

I wouldnt worry about it too much, the colours t&f athletics back in the day used to be on Weds evenings after a full day of college and i always ran well. Ditto the Battersea road races i did this summer on Monday evenings at 7pm, i broke 18 for the first time there in a 5k. Just make sure you rememeber hydration and nutrition throughout the day. Waiting around all day in work will drive you potty though.

Don't all the best athletes in the world run at 9pm in the diamond leagues on Friday nights ;)

Usain isn't up at 7.30am and in an office crunching numbers until 5pm ;)

Typical that the only race of mine to be found on youtube is my one and only distastrous race of the year. In any case I'll stick it up here as ya take the good with the bad. It really shows just how slow a 75-76 second opening lap really is, when the front runners are going through in 67. Murderous conditions that evening.

Will find out on Monday if I have got a lane for Tuesday. Nice. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Track session this afternoon. Did 500, 300 and 200, with 4 mins between each. Times were:

97 - 49(mid) - 31(mid)

Both the 200 and 300 times are improvements on my best from last weeks sessions, so happy with those, especially the 300.

Still no word on Tuesday's race.

I received an email this afternoon, and as expected, I have not qualified for tomorrow evening’s 400m race at the High Velocity Club meet. Very disappointing. :( Just 2 more opportunities now to run a sub 59 before the season ends On the otherhand it may be a good thing as I’m genuinely feeling jaded from a long season, and a part of me is looking forward to the end of the season, while the other part of me wants to keep racing so I can get my times down further. I hope I haven’t reached my peak for the season.

Remaining meets:

1) Sat 18th Feb – Interclub end of season meet 1 – 800m, Long Jump
    2) Sat 25th Feb – Victoria Decathlon Championships (Day 1 only) – 100m, Long Jump, Shot Putt, High Jump, 400m
    3) Friday 9th Mar – Victorian State Championships – 400m

After the State Champs as far as training, that is it, I will officially end my season and take a complete break. There is a meet I will attend on Friday 31st March, which is the Interclub end of season meet 3, the very last meet of the season. However I will just be doing this for the laugh. Will have a final crack at the Triple Jump and try a couple of throwing events for the craic. Will probably run a 100 or 800 aswell but wont be focused on times, and will just focus on racing other competitors. Basically I will be in celebration mode that day.

Did 3x300 with 4 minute recovery. The goal was more the speed endurance, rather than technique so wasn't up on my toes like I would be when in spikes (hard to do so in road runners). Times were:

53(very low) - 51(mid) - 50(mid)

Same session as above. Times were:

52(low) - 50(low) - 50(mid)

So about 2 seconds in total faster than the previous day.

Actually interested to know what I could do over the seldom run 300m. There has been no such races here at all for that distance. Around 42-43 I suppose.

Some good news. A new track meet has popped up out of nowhere. Next Tuesday evening Essendon AC are putting on the Essendon Track Classic which is open to all, so I'll be running a 400m that night :) This makes up for the 400m that I missed out on at the High Velocity meet this evening. No idea yet whether it is hand timed or electronic. Not a lot of information about the meet out there really.

Pyramid session this evening on the track using road running shoes. 100-200-300-200-100 with 3 minute rest between each rep, except after the 300 when I took close to 4 minutes. Times were

15(high) - 32(high) - 50(low) - 32(low) - 15(low)

I finished that session strong which is good. Tough session but once you are over the 300 mentally you feel like you are nearly there.

The floodlights were off this evening, so I was running around in the dark :) Thankfully the lights from the nearby tennis courts and nearby buildings kept the track safe.

800m race on saturday where I hope to destroy my PB of 2:27.9. Very busy week coming up in fact as I hit the business end of the season. 800m race thus saturday as mentioned, 400m race 3 days later, and then 4 days after that day 1 of the Vic Decathlon. Fingers crossed I can get that sub 59.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

800m race on saturday where I hope to destroy my PB of 2:27.9. Very busy week coming up in fact as I hit the business end of the season. 800m race thus saturday as mentioned, 400m race 3 days later, and then 4 days after that day 1 of the Vic Decathlon. Fingers crossed I can get that sub 59.

Good luck on Saturday in the 800m, maybe you can run the whole way to the finish this time. ;):pac:

Do an extra long warm down ater the 800m and a longer than normal warm up before the 400m, 3 days is a little tight.

Line up so far for next Tuesday's 400m

8:00PM: 400M MEN OPEN $100 for the winner
    Joel Bee 106 Wendouree 47.33 47.33
    Scott Dowsing 3774 Knox 49.12 48.47
    Harrison Roubin 129 Old Melbounians 50.11 50.09
    James Sullivan 4156 Richmond 59.44 59.44

Oh FOOK!!!!!! :eek:

Not sure how I feel about this!

Also, I've just seen the results from teh high velocity meet and only 16 of the 24 people ended up running the meet. So frustrating seeing 8 people not turn up on the day, and me wanting to run. All but 1 was 52 seconds or lower, but the slowest guy was 57.3 so I wouldn't have been a million miles away from him at least.

Great run by my club mate last night in the Victorian Mile Championship to claim the bronze medal in 4:54. She's only really started taking the sport seriously in the last year. Very talented. When I look at this I'm actually quite pleased that I'm only 0.37 seconds behind her over 400m.

That's the track I've been training on of late in Melbourne Uni. Big stupid hockey pitch stuck smack bang in the middle of it!

‎2:27.6 for 800m today, a PB, but only a 0.3 second improvement on my previous best. Happy enough I suppose but it aint really my event. Followed this up with a very very avergae 4.22m in the long jump. Enjoyable afternoon. Looking forward to the Victoria Decathlon Champs next weekend. Still undecided on Tuesday's 400m. If the field remains in the 47-50 range then I wont run. If there's a few 55-57 guys then I will.

Race report from today to follow.

With the shield over and the amount of meets for grassroots athletes pretty minimal at this stage of the year, the clubs in our region of the AV Shield have put on 3 extra, low key, end of season meets, to give people a few more races, and also for those who need a few more races before the State Champs, Masters Champs, Nationals etc etc. Today was the first one in Doncaster, the 2nd is out in Diamond Valley (a track I haven't raced on) on March 17th (skipping that for obvious reasons), with the very last meet of the season being in Collingwood on March 31st, the track where my season all begun back in September for the Decathlon.

The programme for these meets is much shorter than regular AV Shield meets, with less events and less competitors, meaning less heats. Today they had 400m Hurdles, 800m, 100m and 3000k, along with just 3 field events: the hammer throw, shot putt and long jump.

My goal for today was the 800m and long jump.

800m

My PB currently stood at 2:27.9 set back on December 3rd in the AV Shield. On that occasion I went out in 72 and came back in 75ish. That day I beat my club mate who went out too hard and died the last 300m to finish 8 seconds behind me. Even though he has a marginally faster PB than me, I knew based on this race that I shouldn't lose to him. There were 3 heats today and myself and him were towards the slower guys picked for the 2nd heat. Didn't bother me that I would be towards the back as I had my clubmate in the race who's level I knew was close to mine.

I was in lane 8, not that that matters. Gun went off and I got to the break in last place. Went through the first 200 in 33. My club mate was getting a few metres ahead of me but I just concentrated on staying with him, as I knew he'd blow up (he's the perfect pacemaker :)). I went past one lad with about 500m or so to go, and reached the bell in 71 seconds approximately. I kept my distance behind my club mate and right on cue, as I expected, just after the 500m mark he wilted, and I went past him. He had nothing left in the tank and he wasn't going to get me back. I went through the 600m mark in 1:48, and I was certain I'd run a solid PB when I heard that, as I was around 1:50 when I set my previous best (at least that's what I thought I was at). I pushed as hard as I can, but had nobody really to chase close enough to me, and nobody chasing me. Just pushed and pushed and crossed the finish line in 2:27.6, a PB by 0.3 seconds, to finish in 6th place. Was a bit disappointed after as felt I had run faster. I also should have ran through the line better. The last 3-4 metres I may have lost a couple of tenths due to focusing too much on stopping my watch as I crossed the line.

I suppose I have to be happy with the result. It's a PB, which you can't really turn your nose up, and I do not do specific 800m work, so how can I really expect the 2:15ish time that my 400m indicates I am capable of? I don't put in miles. I don't do 1k reps. My training is focused towards the 400m so really my expectations over the 800 are quite modest. I have taken 7.3 seconds off my time this season however.

Incidently, one of the coaches in the club was in my race, and he was streets ahead of me. He ran a 2:15, 12 seconds ahead of me. Over 400m this season I am almost a full second ahead of him. Says it all really.

Long Jump:

This was my 4th long jump competition of the year. Having the laugh on the Belfield track before leaving Ireland in 2010, I jumped a 4,50m long jump. I jumped around this mark in training in September. However in all competitions I have been way below this level. In my 3 previous competitions I have jumped 4.24m, 4.25m and a poor 4.08m. Today I was hoping for a seasons best at least, but I was shattered from the 800m so I knew I was in for a struggle.

My first attempt was sloppy. I had to stretch further than I wanted to jump off my right foot in time, or else I would have needed to take an extra step which would have ruined my jump. I managed a 4.18m. Something on the board at least. My 2nd attempt was awful. I ended up stuttering my stride coming up to the board, and also fouled. My final attempt was comfortably the cleanest, and I was perfect on the board, but disappointingly barely improved on my first round jump, managing just a 4.22m. Hopefully next weekend at the Vic Decath Champs, with just a 100 in my legs, rather than an 800, I can go further.

Enjoyable day, and quite relaxed, and had an end of season feel to it. Don't want to feel in relaxed mode too much yet. Still some big races coming up and I still haven't given up hope on getting that sub 59 before the season ends.

3x300m on the track this evening. Am caught in two minds about tomorrow's race (more about that below) so didnt know whether to have a hard session (something I would do if there is no race the next day) or an easy session (if I am racing the next day). So to compromise I did the first 2 easy and the last 1 hard. Times were:

56(high) - 54(high) - 50(mid)

Afterwards when doing my core session I noticed a possom leg it away from where I was walking, and it jumped up a tree. I spent about 5 minutes just admiring this animal. Apparantly they are everywhere but it is the first time I have seen one in the wild. Always interesting when you see some mad Aussie creatures when out training. In fact the day I went Sub 60 for the first time there were actually some kangaroo's in the field beside the track. Will take a fair while before the novalty of seeing these animals wares off.

I'm very unsure about running this 400m race at tomorrow evening's Essendon Track Classic. As of this morning there were 6 of us entered for the event: a 46.5x guy, a 47, a 48, a 50, and 14 year old kid with a PB and SB of 54.99, still a solid 4.45 seconds faster than me, equating to around 30 metres. The closing time of entries was 8pm this evening so hopefully they will publish an updated start list tomorrow morning and maybe a few more slower guys might have entered. However assuming it stays the same as it is now, I'm not sure if I should run.

The pros of running:

1) The fact there is a 55 second runner now entered makes the race a small bit more doable than if the next slowest guy was a 50-51 guy.

2) The early weather forcast for Saturday's Decathlon looks poor, with the possibility of thunderstorms. A wet track could make a PB assault much tougher. With the forcast for tomorrow good, I am tempted to give it a shot

The cons of running:

1) Only 3 days break since my 800m race, and just another 4 days before the Decathlon (where I will contest just Day 1). Could be a case of doing 2 400m races not fully rested over doing just 1 with better rest.

2) If the 55 second guy does not show up then I will be sent completely to the cleaners. Nobody wants to get beaten by 10 seconds. That's the equivalent of a 3 hour marathon runner here getting destroyed in a race by 30 minutes or so!

So I don't know at the moment. I have my bag packed and will bring all my gear to work and make a decision at lunch time.

Thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Thoughts?

Go for it what do you have to lose.

There are no expectations going in also when else are you going to get into a high quality field? Take everything in learn from the lads around you and the experience if nothing else

Channel the nervous energy and use it who knows you may surprise yourself

If you dont run it you effectively wasted a session last night with backing off and.

‎59.86 this evening over 400m at the Essendon Track Classic. Not a PB but my 3rd time in a row under 60, and my 2nd fastest time. Pretty happy given the circumstances. Never been so nervous before a race. Getting into the blocks to race 47-50 second guys must be along similar lines to an 18 year old rookie walking onto Centre Court at Wimbledon before innevitably getting spanked 6-1 6-1 6-0 by Roger Federer!

Race report to follow.

Word of this meet only made it up onto the AV website a week before the scheduled date. After missing out on a chance to run the High Velocity meet I was eager for another race. I was informed that everyone was welcome regardless of whether somebody is fast, medium or slow, so I put my name down for the 400m. However when I saw the start list I got a fright. 6 of us entered: 46, 47, 48, 50 and 54.99 second runners and then myself a 59 second quarter miler. I had almost mentally pulled out of the race and was back and forth on whether I should run or not, but eventually decided to just give it a shot.

The meet was pretty low key with some very small fields (only 3 in the women's 1500m), but the quality was extremely high. I was in no doubt that I would have been the slowest male in the entire meet, and taking into a account gender differences, the slowest of any male or female. Thoughts kept running through my head that I shouldn't be at the track and when warming up I actually felt a little concious as to whether people were observing my warm up routine. I was in awe of some of the people when glancing at their warm ups. They looked like very finely tuned athletes and were most certainly competing at the business end of the sport. I know I am not slow, very far from it, but I was certainly out of league in this presence. I overheard one guy ask another how his 100m went and the response was "Sh1t...11.5". I laughed!

I did my best to shut out the fact that I was going to be taken to the cleaners, and focused on my warm up, and felt pretty good. I had it in my head that I was going to take the first 100 out faster than usual as I felt the last 400m race I may have been going to easy early on. If I died in the home straight then so be it. Nothing risked, nothing gained.

Only 5 of the 6 of us showed up to the start line, and as far as I am aware it was the 46 guy who didn't show, thanks be to God! Had the 55 second guy (who is 14 by the way) didnt show up then I'd be better off going home. But indeed he was there, and even better was the fact that I was drawn in lane 7, and he was drawn in lane 2, so I had the benefit of the 2nd slowest runner having the biggest stagger to eat up on me, meaning it would be a good half the race before I would even see him go past me and I would then have him in my sights for longer. All psychological really. Lane 7 is usually not the best draw, but in these circumstances it was perfect.

The gun went off and I got off well. Ran the first 60-70 hard, conciously harder than before, and then settled into a speedy cruise for the next 120 metres or so. David Gillick (it may aswell have been! :eek:) in lane 6 flew past me like superman jetting off at a moments notice from Lois Lane to save some muppet in who was being attacked by a hungry salt water croc! I never saw him again. In fact it was such a blur I have no real recollection of seeing any of the top 3 guys. Coming towards 190 metres in and the 55 second guy has eaten up the stagger on me. I had him in my sights now even though I had a much larger bend to go around than him. At least I had somebody to pace off. I pushed hard with 200m to go, and coming into the home straight I may have closed the gap ever so slightly. At this point, worse than ever before, I felt the lactic acid build up in my legs. It wasn't terrible, but it was more noticeable than before. The 400m is a tough race to judge. Go out too fast and you can die badly the last 100m, Go out too slow and you simply wont make that time back late on. I pushed hard, fighting through the pain, no doubt slowing, but not spectacularly. The guy in lane 2 appeared to slow significantly the last 15 metres. It looked to me as if he just eased up, but he ended up running 56.5ish so had he ran to the line he may have PB'ed, makes no sense. I crossed the line in what felt like about 3-4 seconds behind him. Going in I thought that if I could get this close to him then I'd PB, but I didn't anticpate him easing up like that and only running 56 mid.

The results were almost immediate (very efficient) and I finished in 5th (of 5) in 59.86 seconds. To be honest, while momentarily disappointed, I was actually pretty happy with this result. It was a bloody tough race to be in, the nerves were killing me, so I was so delighted just to hold it together and run my 3rd consecutive sub 60, and my 2nd fastest time.

The winner ran 47, 2nd was 50, 3rd only ran 54, whatever happened there, and then 4th mid 56 and then myself squeezing under 60. I'm glad I wasn't completely blown out of the water and would only have been about 20 metres or so behind 4th place.

Afterwards I stuck around for a little bit and watched Monica Brennan demolish the field in the women's 200m. She finished 7th in the World Youth's in Lille last year, and is 4th in the Australian senior rankings so far this year, at around 23.7. All around the track the performances were of a very high quality, and being at such a meet was certainly an experience that's for sure.

Body is feeling tired now. A few days needed to recover, followed by a light session on friday before the Victorian Decathlon Champs on Saturday! It's all go!

An evening off chilling at the Melbourne Uni track watching the 5000m races this evening. Men's race was won in 14:30ish, well outside the qualifying standard for nationals which many of the guys were after.

There's 18 of us down on the official start list for the decathlon for the Victorian Multi-Event Championships, which take place at the same time as the Victorian Junior Championships. One of my competitors is one Stephen Cain, who currently has the B-Standard for London.

He's doing a good job trying to promote the event and has got in touch with all of us via facebook, about post day 1 and day 2 recovery sessions and meals. I now feel a bit bad that I am only doing the first day of the competition, almost like I am not giving the event the respect it deserves. This is most certainly not the case. I hugely admire decathletes. I think they are fantastic athletes. I just have to look at the bigger picture here. I will be giving the 5 events on Day 1 my best shot, but with regards Day 2, I cant jump hurdles, am appalling at throwing a discus and javelin, incredibly unconfident with a pole vault in my hands, which leaves just the 1500m which I could put in a somewhat respectable performance in. The chances of injurying myself in those events is too risky, especially with State Champs coming up 2 weeks later. But I am very excited about being part of this great competition this weekend, and competing against some quality athletes, albeit for just one day.

With the decathlon tomorrow and due to the fact I have had a minor head cold the last 2 days I took an easy session this evening. 5x130m easy strides on a slightly uneven grass pitch with 2 minute rests. Messed up the timing of the 4th rep but the rest of the times were:

23(low) - 22(high) - 23(low) - ? - 22(high)

Times pretty irrelevant. Core session afterwards. Now looking forward to tomorrow's state championships decathlon. 18 of us on the start list.

Immensely enjoyable and fullfilling day at the Victorian Decathlon Championships today. Firstly a 12.96 for 100m, albeit with a 4.3 m/s tailwind, but a big PB regardless. Next was a season's best in the Long Jump of 4.32m. Frustratingly on my last jump I managed a 4.55m which would have been a PB but I broke the board by 1cm. Then 6.51m in the shot putt which I didn't expect at all, big PB. Then 1.25m in the High Jump, which is 10cm better than the only other time I attempted the event. Finally 59.18 for 400m, a PB by 0.26 seconds, which topped off a great day. Only half way there and my body is hanging together with a shoe string!

With 1673 points in the bag, which was beyond my wildest dreams, I have decided that I am going to give day 2 a shot. I reckon I'd always regret not seeing this event through and seeing what I could have got overall.

Event report will come after Day 2.

Off for day 2 of the state champs decathlon. About 5 hours sleep, body is absolutely shattered from the effort I put in yesterday. Close to 1700 points in day 1, I will be doing extremely well to get 700 today. The hurdles will be a scratch, the discuss probably about 15m, the javelin probably less, the pole vault I havent tried in 6 months. The 1500m will score the bulk of my points today. Did a 5:42 earlier in the season off 80% effort for the first 2.75 laps, upping it to 90% the last lap. If I have the energy and can give it a good crack, hopefully I can go under 5:30. PB is 5:16 from when I was 18.

I'm currently ahead of my coach by a mere 18 points. I beat him in 3 events yesterday (100, Shot, 400) and he beat me in 2 (high jump and long jump, which had I hit the board right I would have had him there aswell). Sadly I can honestly say there is not a single event I will take him in today.

As expected, the wheels came off a bit on Day 2 of the State Decathlon Champs. A DNF in the hurdles, a no height in the Pole Vault, a very poor discus of 14.17m and an appalling javelin of 10.83m. Thankfully I ran a respectable 5:27.98 for 1500m at the very end to gather the bulk of my day 2 points. Finished with an overall total of 2290. A very enjoyable weekend. Great camaraderie among all the decathletes. Every respect to the guys who compete at decathlon at the highest level. It's a truly gruelling event. The pain I felt in the aftermath of the 1500m tops what I felt after the Rotterdam Marathon.

Will give a full report on the event within the next few days. It will take a while to write about it. Probably the most enjoyable weekend I have had in participative athletics anywhere to date. Cannot recommend a decathlon highly enough.

Oh bloody hell the pain is dreadful. Going to be a long day in work! :(

• Advertisement

It's time to try to proper justice to what was one of the most enjoyable weekend's I have had since arriving in Australia overa year ago.

I entered the State Championships Decathlon at Lakeside Stadium at Albert Park originally for one reason - to get a competitive 400m race. I knew there would be multi-eventers who would be near my level and that such a race would provide a great chance of hitting a PB. I had no intention of completing the entire decathlon and planned to finish up after Day 1. However that all changed as the event went on.

The weather was murderous throughout the weekend. Hitting around 37 celcius on the Saturday, and not far off that again the next day. The winds were northerly and therefore warm. Certainly not ideal conditions, but for sprinting and field events it is easier to handle than it would be for 800m and up.

The competition was of a very high level. In total there were 20 entrants (18 of whom finished). Among them was Australian Decathlon Champion Stephen Cain (who incidently doesnt yet have the Olympic B-Standard, I was incorrect in my previous post) and Commonwealth Games bronze medallist from GB Martin Brockmon.

100m:

My coach was in my heat so I knew that I would have somebody that I could beat. The gun went off and I got out ok, was a small bit slow through the early phases and was level with my coach, but pulled away from him in the last 60m to beat him comfortably. The winner of our heat was 11.0x with the majority under 12 seconds. I felt I ran quick, and in spite of a 4.3m/s tailwind, I was delighted to see that I broke 13 seconds for the first time, with a clocking of 12.96 seconds. The wind would have made a little difference but it was still a very good run, and a PB regardless. My previous best was a 13.36 into a small -0.4 m/s headwind. Looking at those online wind adjustment calculators, had I got a 2.0 m/s tailwind my time would only have been around 0.15 seconds slower than what I ran. In any case I was delighted and got my decathlon off to a great start with 475 points.

Long Jump:

An hour after the 100m and it was time for the Long Jump. There was great camaraderie among the decathletes during this event (and during most of the field events) with everyone chatting away to each other in between jumps and getting behind each other. Fantastic stuff. For my first jump I managed a season's best of 4.32m. I was very pleased. A great way to start. My second attempt was laboured, just a 4.16m. For my final attempt I thought I would take advantage of the camaraderie and started one of those typical field event claps where everybody starts off slow and speeds up towards the end, and all my competitors responded to my request. Some buzz I tell ya, and it really brought the best out of me. I pulled the type of jump out of the bag that I felt I was always capable of. In addition I was certain I was good on the board, but looked around and saw that I broke it by just 1cm. Gutting, but wasn't going to think much more of it. Then for some inexplicable reason they start to measure my jump anyway and inform me that the distance was 4.55m, a "would have been PB". Pure cruelty. In one way I wish I hadn't known this as I was pissed off for a short while after, but on the otherhand I now know that such a jump is there, given the right moment to bring it out. So 4.32m and 259 points from this event.

Shot Putt:

This event was the first example of what would turn out to be a weekend of competitor bonding. One of the lads from Collingwood AC gave me a crash course on how to throw the shot properly, and would continue to give pointers after each event. He did this for the high jump, discuss and a few other events after. My love for decathlon was growing by the minute, and I was beginning to feel extremely guilty for even considering skipping day 2. My first throw I completely nailed. I couldn't believe I managed to hit 6.51m, but apparantly I had my throwing technique fairly spot on first time around. The 2nd and 3rd attempts were both just 5.41m however as I couldn't replicate what I managed to pull out the first time. A big PB, by close to a metre, and 279 points. The scoring was certainly going well.

High Jump:

The one and only time I attempted this event in competition I managed 1.15m. I hadn't jumped since so asked could I start at 1.05m. The organisers grinned their teeth and said ok. Thankfully they had 2 high jump zones so they could put the best guys into one and then the lower standard athletes onto the other. The bar started at 1.04m in the end. Cleared it first time. Passed at 1.07m, and then cleared 1.10m first time. Passed at 1.13 and cleared 1.16m, I think at the first attempt, it really is hard to remember as I had a fair few jumps throughout the competition. A second attempt clearance at 1.19m followed, followed by a second attempt clearance at both 1.22m, and again 1.25m. I was thoroughly enjoying this. 1.28m proved a bridge too far though. The final attempt was agonisingly close but it was not to be. I was getting tired as there were only 2-3 of us jumping at such low heights, and I was doing the bulk of the jumping. My legs felt dead at the end of it, and I was delighted to be out early so I could have extra recovery time ahead of the 400m. So 1.25m, and a very welcome 218 points.

400m:

The heats were seeded which was one of the best decisions made all weekend. As a result we had 3 genuinely competitive races. I was in a real race and there was no threat of a 49 second guy blowing me away. In my heat there was supposed to 8 but 2 people pulled out of the decathlon at this stage. I was given lane 8. Wasn't too pleased but what can you do. It's all random. In my heat was my coach in lane 1, his son in lane 2 (good over 100 and 200 but fairly poor over 400m), 2 brothers from Collingwood AC and then one other lad, who I happened to beat in the 100m earlier. I had beaten both the brothers earlier in the year during AV shield races so expected to be up close to them. However there was always a doubt as to whether these guys were going fully all out in those races, as they do a lot of events, so they could have been conserving energy when I beat them.

Gun went off and away I went. Very weird feeling running in lane 8. My initial feeling afterwards was that maybe I didnt go out hard enough in the first 50m and that because I couldn't see anybody outside me it felt like the start of a training rep. However come 130m and one of the brothers in lane 6 has eaten the stagger up on me and is flying. Sh1t! I hoped that he was running a cracker, otherwise there was no reason why I should be so far behind. I kept going anyway, cruising until 200m, at which point I noticed the other brother come past me in lane 3 or 4. I could easily have panicked here but just focused on myself. I pumped hard around the 3rd hundred and coming into the home straight I notice my coach in lane 1 for the first time. He is right up on me. No way am I letting him beat me. He's the jack of all trades, and is pretty good at many events, but no way am I letting him get me at my event. He's been behind me since the 3rd or 4th week of the season and I'm not going to let that change now. It's a battle. I push push push. Probably pushing too hard. I didn't feel myself tie up however, unlike at the Essendon Track Classic 4 days previously. At the end I was about 80% confident I pipped him but bloody hell it was close. I was certain I hadn't PB'ed given the fact I was about 20m behind the winner, but as it turned out he ran a blinder and went 55.8, with his brother coming 2nd with 56.6. 3rd place was 58.0 and then myself in 4th place, in a new PB of 59.18 seconds, bettering my performance in Bendigo in January by 0.26 seconds. I was over the moon. I hadn't got under the 59 barrier but I had convinced myself that I hadn't PB'ed so to see this result was music to my ears. My coach finished in 59.35, a great run, but a satisfying victory for myself. The only downside was that my new PB was still a mere 0.11 off my female clubmate's 400m time from a few weeks back. So I still have been chicked in the 400m on season's bests. :o So 436 points for me, bringing my day 1 total to 1655 points, over 300 better than at the same stage during my decathlon back in September.

Tune in tomorrow for the Day 2 report.

Advertisement