Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Aimlessly Down Under - From 54 to 53 sec 400m

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Good stuff. Were the hills on grass?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Good stuff. Were the hills on grass?

Yep hills are on grass. Takes some getting used to as have always done my hills in Melbourne on roads and pathways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Yep hills are on grass. Takes some getting used to as have always done my hills in Melbourne on roads and pathways.

Yeah, it's a good idea IMO, less impact so easier on the legs. Things could get messy in a couple of months though, you might have to invest in a pair of xc spikes!

Yeah, it's a good idea IMO, less impact so easier on the legs. Things could get messy in a couple of months though, you might have to invest in a pair of xc spikes!

Yeh I'm not very well equipped for the Irish winter in general tbh. Will have to buy a lot of winter running gear.

For the hills, there's a path that runs parallel to the grass we do our hills on. We literally run just a few metres in from the path, so worst comes to worst I could just run on that path on very wet and muddy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Chivito550 wrote: »
    First week of winter training. Starting off at 4 days a week for the first couple of weeks or so, and will then push it to 5 days.

Wednesday: Hills

The 400m runners were doing 300-200-300 5 mins 200-300-200. Because it was my first session back I went in with the sprinters instead and did 200-100-200 5 mins 100-200-100. Didn't time them, but felt surprisingly good after a sizable break. I was the first to the top in all reps except the first and second 100s.

Thursday: Gym

Walking Lunges with dunbells: 4 x 16 @ 10kg in each hand
    Romanian Deadlift: 3 x 8 @ 20kg
    Flat Dunbell Press: 3 x 8 @ 16kg in each hand
    V Bar Lat Pulldown: 3 x 8 @ 40kg, 45kg, 45kg
    Floor Single Leg Hip Thrusts: 3 x 12 in each leg
    Front Plank: 3 x 30 secs
    Dunbell Single Leg Calf Raises: 3 x 8 @ 5kg

Sunday: Cinder Track

Had pretty bad DOMS for the next few days but they were almost gone by Sunday. No hills on this occasion, but instead an endurance session on the cinder track. 400m runners were doing 2 x 800 off 4 mins, but I went with the sprinters again and did 3 x 400 off 4 mins. Times were:

69-69-76

I was a close second in the first rep, first in the second, and first by a long way in the last rep as everybody died badly. The times themselves are well slower than what would be run on a track, and I was wearing road running shoes also.

Monday: Gym

Dunbell Split Squats: 4 x 8 @ 10kg in each hand
    Romanian Deadlift: 3 x 8 @ 20kg
    Flat Dunbell Press: 3 x 8 @ 18kg in each hand
    V Bar Lat Pulldown: 3 x 8 @ 45kg, 50kg, 50kg
    Russian Twists: 3 x 30 secs
    45 degree Back Extentions: 3 x 8 @ 15kg

Nice training, just one query regarding the 3x400m session. I would have thought for a 54 second 400m that this was a very easy session, especially with the long recovery? I know it was on a cinder track but still. Maybe it's just because it's your first session back as well?

• Advertisement

pconn062 wrote: »
    Nice training, just one query regarding the 3x400m session. I would have thought for a 54 second 400m that this was a very easy session, especially with the long recovery? I know it was on a cinder track but still. Maybe it's just because it's your first session back as well?

4 minutes is not a long recovery for a sprinter. Maybe for a 1500m runner, but never is it a long recovery for a sprinter.

69 on a cinder track in runners I'm guessing would be 65 on a proper track with spikes. Hard to know for sure. I'd guess that session would have looked something like 65-65-71 on a proper track. I remember doing 6 x 400 off 3 mins when I was trying to train on my travels back in March and I averaged around 72 I think, on a proper track.

And yep, was one of my first sessions back and have lost a bit of fitness. Wasn't terribly concerned about the times. Just wanted them for reference.

EDIT: Also I'd been out the night before. Didn't drink too much but had just 5 hours sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 b0son

pconn062 wrote: »
    Nice training, just one query regarding the 3x400m session. I would have thought for a 54 second 400m that this was a very easy session, especially with the long recovery?

Tempo runs are normally done at 65-85% of race pace, the slower the pace, the shorter the rest. From the training plans I've seen, 3min would actually be considered a short rest at that speed (but it makes sense given the number of reps).

For comparison, I do 3x300m at race pace off 7.5min rest. My endurance is dismal though, so while I can do the first two reps, I come up at least 5sec short on the last rep, and the legs feel like anchors....

Although I left Melbourne back in March, for the next 6 months there had been a great sense of uncertainty as to where my long term future would be. I don't want to get into the details of it publicly, but recently this period of uncertainty and stress has ended, and I won't be moving back to Australia permanently in the future. Melbourne will always be a second home to me, and I'd like to make trips back in the future to visit all my club mates, friends and competitors from the athletics community, and race in the black and yellow of Richmond Harriers again. But balancing everything up it is probably for the best for me to live here.

This is not to say that there isn't a bit of sadness as the reality hits that I will never be fully involved in the Athletics Victoria scene anymore, a setup and community which I really loved. Tomorrow is the start of the 2014/15 track season down there, with what was always my traditional curtain raiser, the Magpie Multis Decathlon, where for the last 3 years I have competed the first day, to get a season opener run out over both 100 and 400, on my home track. It feels a bit weird not being there for it.

I will keep a keen eye on the athletics season down there to see how everyone (at all levels) is getting on, but for me, it must be onwards and upwards now, towards the Indoor Season.

4-5 months ago I put together this montage. It's 3 years of photos, videos and memories crammed into 12 minutes.

https://vimeo.com/96890918

An update now that I've finished my second week back training:

Wednesday: I came down with a sore throat late Monday night after my gym session. Didn't feel great on Wednesday so skipped the hill session and opted to do it on my own on Friday instead.

Walking Lunges with dunbells: 4 x 16 @ 10kg in each hand
    Seated Leg Curl: 3 x 8 @ 20kg, 25kg, 30kg
    Flat Dunbell Press: 3 x 8 @ 20kg in each hand
    V Bar Lat Pulldown: 3 x 8 @ 45kg
    Dunbell Single Leg Calf Raises: 3 x 8 @ 6kg

Friday: Hills

Did the hill session that I was supposed to do on Wednesday, albeit on a street near my house, as opposed to grass. Session was 200-100-200 7 mins 100-200-100.

Times were:

32 low - 17 flat - 34 low - 16 high - 34 low - 16 high

Times were all very consistent with the exception of the first rep which was significantly faster than the rest.

Sunday: Hills

A similar session except with a nasty twist. This time there were 4 200m reps and just 2 100m reps, as opposed to 3 and 3. Session was 200-100-200 5 mins 200-100-200. Times were:

40 - 23 - 40 - 40 - 25 - 44

This was tough going. I was going fine for the first set, getting to the top 2nd out of the 4 of us. I was working hard for the first 200m of the second set, and although I managed to get to the top 2nd, and the time was consistent with what came before, I knew I was in trouble for the last 2 reps. I fell off badly in the last 100 and 200, finishing last of the 4 of us. Times incomparable to the previous day, as the grass is slower. Also, I've never measured it out, it could be longer than 100 and 200.

Dunbell Split Squats: 4 x 8 @ 10kg in each hand
    Romanian Deadlift: 3 x 8 @ 25kg
    Flat Dunbell Press: 3 x 8 @ 20kg in each hand

Still on 4 days a week. Every session is pretty intense and my hamstrings are feeling tired from it. Not sure if I'm ready yet to up it to 5 days.

Update from the rest of this week:

Wednesday: Flat session on grass

Out in one of the parks out near Sandymount strand. Session was 4 x 350m. Basically ran 350m, jogged back, ran 350m, jogged back. Then 5 min break. Then reversed it for the second set, so jogged down, and ran back.

Messed up the timing of the first rep as was caught unawares when the group started. Timed it at 61 but I missed the first few seconds, so probably about 65. Second rep was 65, third was 66, and messed up the last rep. A good 5 seconds slower than when I did this session back in late December when home for Christmas which was a bit alarming, but I was mid way through the Australian season then, and the gap between myself and some of the other lads on this occasion was similar enough to back then also.

Walking Lunges with dunbells: 4 x 16 @ 12kg in each hand
    Romanian Deadlifts: 3 x 8 @ 27.5kg, 30kg, 30kg
    Flat Dunbell Press: 8, 6 and 8 @ 22.5kg in each hand (lost balance on the second set and only got 6 reps)
    Dunbell Single Leg Calf Raises: 3 x 8 @ 7kg

Saturday: Long run

Told to introduce one long run a week at the advice of the coach. For now I'm to run 20 minutes at a comfortable pace, and under no circumstances am I to be lying on the ground at the end of it. So I ran 4.46km in Marlay Park in 20 mins 51 secs. I wasn't jogging, but basically moving at a pace where I can go as fast as possible without really being out of breath (conversational pace I guess). Distance runners probably have a name for this type of run! :)

200-100-200 5 mins 100-200-100 on grass

Left hamstring, while not sore or tight, just felt a bit sensitive or weak. Coach said to run this session within myself, so that's what I did, and I wasn't collapsed on the floor at the end as a result, like I am after most sessions like this. I went a bit hard on the first rep, and was reminded to ease it back for the rest of the session. Times were:

41.0 - 24.8 - 43.9 - 23.6 - 42.9 - 24.4

So up to 5 days a week now. Will get up to 6 days a week soon, and get that third session in, but for the next couple of weeks I'll stick to the 5 days.

• Advertisement

Update from the last 3 days:

Dunbell Split Squats: 4 x 8 @ 12kg in each hand
    Flat Dunbell Press: 8, 8, 5 @ 22.5kg in each hand (struggled a bit on the last set)
    V Bar Lat Pulldown: 3 x 8 @ 50kg

Tuesday: Long Run

Exact same route and distance as Saturday, and ran this 4.45km at the very same effort, yet managed to run 50 seconds faster, without even trying. Time was 20:01, which is 22 minute pace exactly for 5K. There was a time when this sort of pace hurt like hell, but now it's very comfortable.

Until I'm confident about doing 3 sessions a week, and going back to back on a Saturday and Sunday, coach said to do 2 long runs a week, both 20 mins, one on Tuesday, one on Saturday. So that's 6 days a week, but with 2 gym, 2 sessions, 2 long run. When the time is right that will then change to 2 gym, 3 sessions and 1 long run, which will then become longer than the 20 mins I'm currently doing.

Wednesday: Flat Run on Grass

Similar session to last Wednesday, but with a bit extra thrown in. Instead of 2 x (2 x 350m), we did 2 x (350, 90, 350).

Basically, jogged 350, then ran back, jogged back approx 90, then ran back, jogged back 350, ran back. 5 mins rest, then repeat.

Times were:

68 - 16 - 68 - 70 - 16 - 63

Tough session but managed to find that little bit extra in the last rep to finish strong. Feeling shattered from it all now though.

Update from the second half of this week:

Walking Lunges with dunbells: 4 x 16 @ 14kg in each hand
    Romanian Deadlifts: 3 x 8 @ 30kg, 32.5kg, 35kg
    Flat Dunbell Press: 8, 8 and 7 @ 22.5kg in each hand (my best performance at this weight)
    V Bar Lat Pulldown: 3 x 8 @ 50kg
    Dunbell Single Leg Calf Raises: 3 x 8 @ 8kg

Saturday: Long Run

Firstly, I incorrectly said above that Tuesday's run was 22 minute flat pace for 5k. I calculated incorrectly, and it was in fact 22:30 pace for 5K. Anyway, ran the same route again, and yet again made a big improvement at a very similar effort level. I passed the 4.45km mark in 19:19, which is 42 seconds faster than Tuesday, and 1:32 faster than last Saturday. I decided to run on to complete the 5K on this occasion and ended up running 5.02km in 21:47, which would be 21:42 for 5K. Significant improvements in a week. Last week I ran 4.45km in the same time as 5K this week, at a pretty similar effort level. Lovely day for a run, though very windy at times.

An easier session today as part of an easier week of training. 200-100-50 - 4 mins - 50-100-200 on the grass hill. Felt good today and finished the session strong. Was very windy but for the most part it was just a cross wind, but I did feel it into my face at the end of the first 100, but not on the other reps. Times were:

42.9 - 24.0 - 12.5 - 12.4 - 22.2 - 39.8

Update from the first half of this week:

Dunbell Split Squats: 4 x 8 @ 14kg in each hand
    45 degree Back Extentions: 3 x 8 @ 20kg
    Flat Dunbell Press: 7, 5, 4 @ 25kg in each hand
    V Bar Lat Pulldown: 3 x 8 @ 55kg
    Russian Twists: 3 x 30 secs @ 10kg

I pushed things out quite a bit in this session. For the split squats I moved from 12kg to 14kg. Lost balance a couple of times on the first set, but was fine after that. The back extentions was difficult with the 20Kg (up from 15kg), not because of the weight, but because the size of the weight is more awkward to hold onto than the 15kg weight. The Flat Dunbell Press I had mastered the 22.5kg in each hand, but the next weight up in my gym is 25kg so gave this one a go, and struggled a bit on it, not reaching 8 reps even on the first set. The V Bar Lat Pulldown I also increased by 5kg, and it was fine until the last set when I wasn't quite getting the V Bar right down to my chest (maybe a few inches above).

Tuesday: Long run

Did my same 5.02km run, taking note of the time at 4.45km for comparison purposes against previous runs. Conditions were very windy. I was caught with it in my face for one of the only parts where I am running in the open, a good 700m stretch. When it was at my back, I was hidden in behind trees so didn't get the full benefit. Despite the poor conditions I managed to go through the 4.45km mark in 19:13, 6 seconds faster than Saturday, and finished up the 5.02km in 21:33, which is 14 seconds faster than Saturday. This works out at 21:28 for 5Km. Effort levels felt the same as always, though the wind made things feel a bit more uncomfortable than usual.

Wednesday: Grass reps

Back to our usual spot to do more 350m reps. As this is an easier week of training, the intensity was dropped a bit. Session was 3 x (350-90) with 3 mins recovery. Basically jog 350, run back 350, jog back 90, run back 90. Do this 3 times. Told not to run these flat out, but I did push things hard nonetheless, but I wasn't on the floor at the end so I guess I got the effort levels right. Times were:

67.8 - 14.4 - 66.0 - 14.2 - 65.4 - 13.3

Definitely feeling the fitness levels improving a lot of late.

Update for the second half of this week:

With the marathon being on Monday, I've rejigged my training over the last few days.

Walking Lunges with dunbells: 4 x 16 @ 14kg in each hand
    Romanian Deadlifts: 3 x 8 @ 35kg, 37.5kg, 40kg
    Flat Dunbell Press: 8, 7 and 3 @ 24kg in each hand (was in a different gym to usual, and they had no 25kg weights, so went for 24kg. Went well until the last set when I got 3 and a half reps to be exact)
    Dunbell Single Leg Calf Raises: 3 x 8 @ 9kg

Friday: Long Run

Did the same route as always, and continued on to 5.02kg also, as per recent runs. Conditions not as windy as the last day, but still a fair breeze at times. Went through 4.45km in 19:02, which is 11 seconds faster than Tuesday, and finished up in 21:22, again 11 seconds faster than Tuesday. Works out to be 21:17 for 5km. Effort levels pretty much the same. It's definitely not conversational pace, but the breathing is controlled and comfortable. For the first 40 seconds after or so I'd be catching my breath a good bit, but then recovered pretty well after that. Happy with this.

Saturday: Track

My first track session of the winter. A few niggles so didn't want to go pushing things too hard. I haven't done speed work since early August so ran within myself, easing myself back into the art of running on a track, on the balls of my feet, in spikes etc. Session was 6 x 150m with a 3 minute walk back recovery between each rep, but with 5 mins + 3 mins walk back at half way. I wore the middle distance spikes. We had a strong headwind in the straight. Times were:

22.0 - 22.1 - 23.3 - 22.0 - 22.4 - 22.8

Average was 22.4. The third rep was a bit slower due to the wind really getting up during this rep. This average would be about 1.5- 2 seconds down on what I would normally run in this session, but 1) we had a strong headwind which would account for about 0.5 seconds of that, and 2) I was running really within myself and comfortable, not wanting to risk damage in my first fast session.

Coach said it's the best he has seen me run technically, which is interesting. Probably because I wasn't trying to run fast, I ended up doing everything else well by default, as I was really relaxed.

I've had some soreness in my left hip of late which has only come about since I've started the long runs, so have been advised to cut the long runs out for a week or so, and let it settle down, and then take it from there.

Plan is to go to the gym tomorrow, and then take Monday and Tuesday off, with a massage on Tuesday. After tomorrow I will have had 9 consecutive days of training, so a couple of days off will do nicely.

So I planned to do my gym session on Sunday and take Monday and Tuesday off, but I ended up having a very rare night on the complete lash and was in an absolute heap for most of Sunday. No energy to do much, besides wander aimlessly around the Marathon Expo for a bit. So I decided to take Sunday and Monday as my days off and do my gym session today.

Spent all day yesterday at the Marathon which was very enjoyable. Obviously been away for the last 4 Dublin Marathons, and before that I never really watched it properly, so was great to be in the city for the whole day to take in what is a great atmosphere. Was a shame that the weather was so poor for the runners. That's one of the tough things about being a marathon runner. So much investment into one race. Can't have another crack the next weekend like in a 400m or a 5K.

Met a good lot of the boardsies afterwards in the pub which was great craic. Not being a distance runner I don't get too many opportunities to socialise with fellow usernames, so was nice to put faces to the names that I see popping up on here all the time. Was a fairly long day of drinking.

Tuesday: Massage & Gym

After the 2 day break I got back into it this evening. First a massage, my first since starting winter training, followed by the gym.

Dunbell Split Squats: 4 x 8 @ 15kg in each hand
    Flat Dunbell Press: 8, 6, 4 @ 25kg in each hand
    Russian Twists: 3 x 30 secs @ 15kg

Pushed the Split squats out by 1kg in each hand and managed fine. The Dunbell Press at 25kg in each hand was an improvement from 7, 5 and 4 the last time I tried that weight. The V Bar Lat Pulldown I struggled with on the third set and by the last couple of reps I wasn't getting close to managing full reps. For the Russian Twists I decided to try 15kg instead of the usual 10kg. This was a poor decision in hindsight. The weight was simply way too heavy for me and it upset my form, and I was working my arm muscles too much. Will go back to 10kg in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Good to meet you last night, but I still say you're about 16.

Good to meet you last night, but I still say you're about 16.

Haha. I can grow a pretty mean beard within about 5 days, something 16 year olds can only aspire to. :)

Back to our usual grass stretch this evening. 2 x (2 x 350m) with 5 mins between sets. Jog down 350, run back 350, jog down 350, sprint back 350. Repeat again. Times were:

65.2 - 66.0 - 69.6 - 64.7

The grass was a bit wet which would probably slow us down a bit. I was moving well for the first 2 reps and in a good place relative to others in my training group. Was wrecked at half way though, and went off the boil a bit on the third rep, running a bit conservatively and I fell back a bit compared to others. Because of this I finished very strong on the last rep, and finished ahead of almost everyone. Good session. These reps are tough because they are point to point and it feels like the end will never come.

Update on the second half of this week:

Walking Lunges with dunbells: 4 x 16 @ 15kg in each hand
    Romanian Deadlifts: 3 x 8 @ 40kg, 42.5kg, 45kg
    Flat Dunbell Press: 5, 6 and 4 @ 25kg in each hand (down on the 8, 6 and 4 from the last day)
    Dunbell Single Leg Calf Raises: 3 x 8 @ 10kg

A speed session. 100-80-60 5 mins 60-80-100 at about 80% effort. Session was about technique rather than flat out speed. Wore the middle distance spikes and started each rep from 3 point start. No times.

Extremely tough session this morning. First time I have ever done this. Basically 2 x 5 minute continuous runs, with 5 mins recovery.

For each 5 minute run we would start at the bottom of the hill. Run up 200m, run back 100m, run up 100m, run down 200m, back up 200m etc. Basically as many hill reps in the order of 200-100-200-100 etc as you can fit in in 5 minutes. Then for the second set, try replicate what you did on the first set. We would run up on grass, and back down on the path. The grass hasn't been cut in awhile so the longish grass makes it tougher.

It's a balancing act with regards to what pace to run downhill. If you jog at the usual slow pace when doing normal hill sessions, you will run back up quicker, but by going slow will mean using up too much of the 5 minutes recovering.

Set 1: There were 7 of us doing this session. I was in last for almost all of the 5 minutes, until close to the very end when I moved up to 6th, and was just a couple of seconds behind 5th. In this time I managed 200 up, 100 down, 100 up, 200 down, 200 up, 100 down, 100 up, then about 25m going back down before the 5 minutes finished.

Recovery was 5 minutes plus 2 minutes slow jog back down to the start.

Set 2: I was last until I got to the 200 down stage and moved to 6th. On my last run back up the hill I made up 2 more places and came in 4th. I managed to again manage 200-100-200-100 of uphill running, but as soon as I turned to run back down the 5 minutes ended. So I got to within 20-25m of downhill running of my first set performance. In other words, where I was when the clock hit 5:00, I was at the same point at 4:50ish in the first set.

Delighted to run consistently like that and not to die too much in the second set. Exhausting session, and the right hamstring is feeling it a bit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

wow - never seen a session like that.
    Did you get any instruction about the downhill?

How did you end up doing it - mixing jogging and fast downhill running??

• Advertisement

wow - never seen a session like that.
    Did you get any instruction about the downhill?

How did you end up doing it - mixing jogging and fast downhill running??

In normal hill sessions we'd jog back really slow, something like 2 minutes to jog back 200m. On this occasion I sort of just ran steady downhill. I'd use it to recover but keep the legs turning over at a reasonable pace, so I wouldn't waste too much time getting back down to the bottom of the hill. There was certainly no sprinting. I'd say the effort levels ratio of uphill to downhill were 70:30, as opposed to the usual 95:5.

Right hamstring was sore from about half an hour after Sunday's session, and was still sore yesterday, so I pushed back the gym session to tonight. Hamstring still a bit tight but much better now.

Dunbell Split Squats: 4 x 8 @ 16kg in each hand
    Flat Dunbell Press: 6, 5, 0 @ 25kg in each hand
    Russian Twists: 3 x 30 secs @ 10kg

The split squats were a struggle this evening. That extra 1kg from last week was very noticeable. I was struggling to hold on to the left weight, form was straying, and afterwards my quads felt like they were very mildly numb briefly. I think I was pushing my limits with this exercise this evening. I got through it anyway.

I was shattered after the split squats and my Flat Dunbell Press suffered badly as a result. I couldn't manage a single rep on my final set. I tried again a minute later, but no joy once more.

So this evening is the end of this 6 week phase. I'm well bored of the routine now, and on Thursday I go back to my gym coach to go through new exercises and develop the routine for the next phase, which I will then start on Monday.

Here's a comparison for each exercise of where I was at the start and where I am now:

Walking Lunges with dunbells (Thu):

Start: 4 x 16 @ 10kg in each hand
    Now: 4 x 16 @ 15kg in each hand

Romanian Deadlifts (Thu):

Start: 3 x 8 @ 20kg
    Now: 3 x 8 @ 40kg, 42.5kg, 45kg

Dunbell Split Squats (Mon):

Start: 4 x 8 @ 10kg in each hand
    Now: 4 x 8 @ 16kg in each hand

45 degree Back Extentions (Mon):

Start: 3 x 8 @ 15kg
    Now: 3 x 8 @ 20kg

Flat Dunbell Press (Mon & Thu):

Start: 3 x 8 @ 16kg in each hand
    Now: 8, 6 and 4 @ 25kg in each hand (Best effort at this weight)

V Bar Lat Pulldown (Mon & Thu):

Start: 3 x 8 @ 40kg, 45kg, 45kg
    Now: 3 x 8 @ 55kg

Dunbell Single Leg Calf Raises (Thu):

Start: 3 x 8 @ 5kg
    Now: 3 x 8 @ 10kg

Floor Single Leg Hip Thrusts (Mon & Thu):

Start & Now: 3 x 12 in each leg

Front Plank (Thu):

Start & Now: 3 x 30 secs

Russian Twists (Mon):

Start & Now: 3 x 30 secs @ 10kg

Back to the grass stretch near Sandymount for another endurance session. 350-350-90 4 mins recovery 90-350-350. Jog back recoveries in between each rep.

Temperatures were very cold tonight. About 4-5 degrees. Probably the coldest I have trained in since becoming a 400m runner, as winters in Melbourne would never get near to that low in the early evenings. Wore the running tights for the first time ever this evening as a result.

Times were:

67.3 - 69.3 - 13.8 - 13.5 - 66.6 - 64.5

For the first two 350m reps I was where I hoped to be in relation to others. The third 350 I dropped back in relation to others, but actually ran faster than the first 2 reps, so the others stepped it up even more. For the last rep I just emptied the tank, and about 80m in I took off like a hare, and was absolutely flying. I was ahead of the whole group, which is a rarity, until the last 50m when one lad went past. I tied up in the closing stages, but ran the rep very well. Still need to figure out how to divide my energy among all reps evenly, rather than having so much left to empty on the last rep, or have nothing left for the last rep.

Went through new exercises with gym coach, for the next phase of gym work, to make sure I understood the technique. The plan is to start on Monday.

6 x 150m with 3 min walk back recovery, with 5 mins + 3 mins walk back recovery at half way. 2 weeks previously I did this session pretty easy. This time I decided to push it a bit more. I got 3 good solid reps in, and then after the long recovery at half way, I could only get through half of the 4th rep before my left calf spasmed and that was the end of the session. Times for the first 3 reps were:

19.7 - 20.3 - 20.5

There was a strong tailwind it has to be mentioned, but the positive of this session was getting in 3 good high quality reps. But not finishing the session left me frustrated. It's only my third track session back, so my body obviously hasn't adjusted back to these speed sessions where I'm running in spikes with a sprinting motion on the balls of my feet. It's usually fairly normal for me to get calf issues early in the winter and then when I get used to running on the track, they hopefully should become less frequent. Despite my calf woes last summer, after the first couple of weeks back training, I only would get them after that in the Wednesday evening sessions when already tired, as opposed to morning sessions at the weekend. It was cold yesterday also, and I probably should have worn my running tights. I've also made my calf stretches pre-session more dynamic now, rather than static in the hope that this might help. Not sure how long it will take me to adapt to the track with only having one session a week on it at the moment, due to Irishtown being out of order.

300-200-100 5 mins recovery 100-200-300

We were told not to empty the tank in this session and finish with a bit left in reserve. I moved well during the first set, but after the first 100 on the second set I decided to back off a bit more on the last 2 reps because my left hamstring felt a bit sensitive. No soreness or anything, just felt it was best to be a bit cautious. Wore the tights today also, which are taking a bit of time to get used to. Times were:

73.9 - 45.3 - 23.5 - 24.3 - 44.6 - 75.6

The stretch from the 300m mark to the 200m mark is flat and the grass as a result hadn't drained, and it was very wet and slippy, so had to be pretty cautious running this first bit of the 300m reps. Also, I'm pretty sure those reps are more than 100, 200 and 300. I'd guess about 120, 230, 350.

Being a complete sports stats nerd, I've been wanting to put together a list like this for some time, but I never got around to sitting down and sifting through all the info required, until recently. I've spent a bit of time over the last week or so, going through all my races, both on this log and the published results of various races online (AV site, AAI site etc), and I've managed to put together a definitive list of all 400m races I've ever run, since my first one in March 2011. Being a stats lover, I've thrown in dates, venues, where I ranked in each race etc. I'm happy to have this now going forward, as it is something I can add to over time.

Maybe it will be of interest to some, and probably just a load of boring stats to others. :)

|Date|Competition|Season|Time||Venue|Country|Rank|No. Participants|Age
    1|12 Mar 11|End of Season Meet|2010/11 Victorian|63.9h|PB|Collingwood|AUS|1|5|25
    2|24 Sep 11|Magpie Multis|2011/12 Victorian|61.8h|PB|Collingwood|AUS|3|5|26
    3|22 Oct 11|AV Shield Round 2 - East Region|2011/12 Victorian|60.90|PB|Box Hill|AUS|4|8|26
    4|8 Dec 11|AV Shield Round 8 - East Region|2011/12 Victorian|60.35|PB|Albert Park|AUS|5|8|26
    5|14 Jan 12|Victorian Country Championships|2011/12 Victorian|59.44|PB|Bendigo|AUS|7|8|26
    6|4 Feb 12|AV Shield Round 12 - East Region|2011/12 Victorian|59.96||Box Hill|AUS|7|8|26
    7|21 Feb 12|Essendon Track Classic|2011/12 Victorian|59.86||Moonee Ponds|AUS|5|5|26
    8|25 Feb 12|Victorian Multi-Events Championship|2011/12 Victorian|59.18|PB|Albert Park|AUS|4|6|26
    9|9 Mar 12|Victorian Championships|2011/12 Victorian|58.68|PB|Albert Park|AUS|6|6|26
    10|6 Oct 12|Magpie Multis|2012/13 Victorian|60.3h||Collingwood|AUS|3|4|27
    11|13 Oct 12|AV Shield Round 1 - East Region|2012/13 Victorian|59.24||Box Hill|AUS|6|8|27
    12|27 Oct 12|AV Shield Round 3 - East Region|2012/13 Victorian|58.01|PB|Box Hill|AUS|6|8|27
    13|17 Nov 12|AV Shield Round 5 - East Region|2012/13 Victorian|58.17||Doncaster|AUS|8|8|27
    14|1 Dec 12|AV Shield Round 7 - East Region|2012/13 Victorian|58.18||Box Hill|AUS|6|8|27
    15|16 Dec 12|High Velocity Club Meet 2|2012/13 Victorian|56.28|PB|Geelong|AUS|6|6|27
    16|6 Jan 13|High Velocity Club Meet 3|2012/13 Victorian|56.26|PB|Knox|AUS|2|4|27
    17|20 Jan 13|High Velocity Club Meet 4|2012/13 Victorian|57.26||Knox|AUS|3|5|27
    18|26 Jan 13|Victorian Country Championships|2012/13 Victorian|56.57||Geelong|AUS|5|7|27
    19|9 Feb 13|Victorian Multi-Events Championships|2012/13 Victorian|56.39||Albert Park|AUS|4|5|27
    20|21 Feb 13|High Velocity Club Meet 5|2012/13 Victorian|57.18||Albert Park|AUS|2|2|27
    21|1 Mar 13|Victorian Championships|2012/13 Victorian|57.56||Albert Park|AUS|8|8|27
    22|26 Mar 13|High Velocity Club Meet 6|2012/13 Victorian|57.93||Knox|AUS|6|6|27
    23|5 Oct 13|Magpie Multis|2013/14 Victorian|57.4h||Collingwood|AUS|3|4|28
    24|19 Oct 13|AV Shield Round 1 - Red Zone|2013/14 Victorian|56.45||Doncaster|AUS|8|8|28
    25|9 Nov 13|Geelong Championships|2013/14 Victorian|56.70||Geelong|AUS|3|4|28
    26|16 Nov 13|AV Shield Round 3 - Red Zone|2013/14 Victorian|55.91|PB|Albert Park|AUS|4|8|28
    27|1 Dec 13|High Velocity Club Meet 1|2013/14 Victorian|56.39||Albert Park|AUS|7|7|28
    28|14 Dec 13|AV Shield Round 5 - Red Zone|2013/14 Victorian|56.48||Epping|AUS|6|7|28
    29|21 Dec 13|High Velocity Club Meet 2|2013/14 Victorian|55.00|PB|Knox|AUS|3|5|28
    30|25 Jan 14|Victorian Country Championships|2013/14 Victorian|55.59||Ballarat|AUS|5|6|28
    31|1 Feb 14|High Velocity Club Meet 5|2013/14 Victorian|55.43||Albert Park|AUS|3|3|28
    32|7 Feb 14|AV Shield Round 9 - Bendigo Zone|2013/14 Victorian|55.58||Bendigo|AUS|5|5|28
    33|15 Feb 14|Geelong Unofficial Meet|2013/14 Victorian|55.7h||Geelong|AUS|4|6|28
    34|28 Feb 14|Victorian Championships|2013/14 Victorian|55.56||Albert Park|AUS|8|8|28
    35|1 Mar 14|Victorian Multi-Events Championships|2013/14 Victorian|55.34||Albert Park|AUS|4|6|28
    36|8 Mar 14|AV Shield Round 11 - Red Zone|2013/14 Victorian|56.15||Epping|AUS|8|8|28
    37|25 May 14|AAI Games|2014 Irish Outdoor|57.00||Santry|IRL|7|7|29
    38|28 May 14|Dublin Graded Meet 3|2014 Irish Outdoor|57.33||Irishtown|IRL|1|5|29
    39|11 Jun 14|Dublin Graded Meet 4 - Dublin Championships|2014 Irish Outdoor|55.88||Santry|IRL|6|6|29
    40|14 Jun 14|GV Ryan Crusaders AC Meet|2014 Irish Outdoor|56.06||Irishtown|IRL|5|5|29
    41|27 June 14|Le Cheile International|2014 Irish Outdoor|55.82||Leixlip|IRL|3|4|29
    42|9 Jul 14|Dublin Graded Meet 6|2014 Irish Outdoor|56.32||Irishtown|IRL|5|6|29
    43|16 Jul 14|Bertie Quinn Memorial|2014 Irish Outdoor|DNF||Tullamore|IRL||5|29
    44|19 Jul 14|Irish National Championships|2014 Irish Outdoor|54.88|PB|Santry|IRL|7|7|29
    45|2 Aug 14|Irish Combined-Events Championships|2014 Irish Outdoor|58.36||Tullamore|IRL|4|7|29
    46|9 Aug 14|2eme Meeting National de Courses|2014 Irish Outdoor|56.03||Lausanne|SUI|7|7|29

A small side-table counting the amount of times under certain times:

Sub 54|0
    Sub 55|1
    Sub 56|11
    Sub 57|23
    Sub 58|30
    Sub 59|35
    Sub 60|40
    Total|46

Update from the last week:

New gym routine for Monday and Thursday.

1 & 1/4 DB Split Squats: 3 x 6 @ 10kg in each hand
    Back Extensions: 3 x 12 @ 20kg
    Flat DB Press (with pause): 3 x 6 @ 18kg, 18kg, 20kg in each hand
    One Arm Bent Over Row: 3 x 6 @ 15kg, 16kg, 17.5kg
    Floor Single Leg Hip Thrusts (with pause): 3 x 8 on each leg
    Side Planks: 3 x 30 secs on each side
    Prone Lat DB Raise: 3 x 8 @ 2kg in each hand

Exercises 3 and 4 are part of the one super-set, as are exercises 5, 6 and 7.

New exercises so the weight starts off low again, which is a relief as the last few weeks in the gym was getting very intense.

Wednesday: Grass

Tough session. A relay session where 3 of us are on a team. Basically I run a length, the next guy runs back, the third guy runs back to me, and off I go again. We each run 3 times. Then take a 5 minute break, and repeat again. We were using the side of the GAA pitches out near Sandymount. The session worked out being 2 x (3 x 160m) with about 45-50 secs recovery within each set, and 5 minutes between sets. I went first in the first set on my team, but went last for the second set, so my rest stretched out to close to 6 minutes as a result.

I didn't realise the stretch was 160m until afterwards when I measured it out. I thought it was about 100m and sprinted like a lunatic, and couldn't understand why I was so tired after. 50 seconds later and off again. Half the reps were into a strong headwind also which didn't help. In bits afterwards. It's very intensive.

Snatch Grip Jump: 4 x 4 @ 20kg
    BB Static Lunges: 3 x 6 on each leg @ 20kg, 25kg, 25kg
    30 Degree Incline DB Press: 3 x 6 @ 20kg in each hand
    Chin ups - Palms facing each other: 3 x 6
    Bench Hip Thrusts: 3 x 8 on each leg
    DB Single Leg Calf Raises: 3 x 8 @ 10kg on each leg

Exercises 5 and 6 are part of the one super-set.

150-120-100 5 mins 100-120-150

After my calf issue last week on the track, my main goal was to finish the session. However I was a bit cautious over the first 40m on each rep, not fully committing. At this time of the year it's more important to finish the sessions, but each week I hope to build myself back to really committing the first 50 and then relaxing, rather than the other way around. Good session overall though. Didn't time any of the reps, but felt I was moving well enough and was pretty relaxed.

Was out on a rare heavy-ish night out last night, so was not feeling great this morning, but managed to get myself into half decent condition to run this session. 200-100-200 5 mins 200-100-200. Was told not to empty the tank, especially given the fact I wasn't feeling the best. So I ran within myself so given that I was pretty pleased with the times:

42.9 - 23.1 - 41.2 - 42.6 - 23.4 - 41.5

Update from the first half of this week:

1 & 1/4 DB Split Squats: 3 x 6 @ 12kg in each hand
    Flat DB Press (with pause): 3 x 6 @ 20kg in each hand
    One Arm Bent Over Row: 3 x 6 @ 18kg, 20kg, 20kg
    Prone Lat DB Raise: 3 x 8 @ 2kg in each hand

Tuesday: Long Run

It's been a few weeks since I last did a long run. The hip is still not completely better, but decided to reintroduce one day a week of an easy 20 minutes. If it causes discomfort I'll scrap it again. This is always the one that will get thrown in the bin if I need an extra day off any week.

Needed to go to somewhere a 15 minute walk away, so rather than have to walk there and back after my run, I decided to kill 2 birds with one stone, and did 2 x 2.05km with a 5 minute break there. Just easy running. 9:30 going out, which is a net uphill, and then 9:01 going back. So 18:31 for 4.1km, which is around 22:30 5k pace.

Just as we were warming up, the rain started pelting down. Combine this with a strong wind, and cold enough temperatures, made it a fairly miserable session and not much fun. We just got it done ASAP and then left. 2 x (2 x 350m) with 4 minutes recovery at half way plus jog back, and jog back within each set. The surface was pretty slippy, particularly in the second set, so I couldn't really up the pace as much as I wanted, and was more focused on making sure I stayed on my feet. We did have the wind at our back, but overall terrible conditions, and slow times as a result. Wasn't overly tired afterwards after. It was just a case of getting it done as quickly as possible. Times were:

69.7 - 68.4 - 72.0 - 68.0

Snatch Grip Jump: 4 x 4 @ 22.5kg
    BB Static Lunges: 3 x 6 on each leg @ 27.5kg, 30kg, 30kg
    30 Degree Incline DB Press: 3 x 6 @ 20kg in each hand
    Chin ups - Palms facing each other: 3 x 6
    Bench Hip Thrusts: 3 x 8 on each leg
    DB Single Leg Calf Raises: 3 x 8 @ 10kg on each leg

Taking awhile to get the snatch grip jump technique. Ended up doing 6 sets because the first 2 were so bad that I refused to count them. Was much improved by the end.

A speed session. The first really fast session I have done this winter. 3 x (40-60-80), with 4 minutes between each set, slow walk back within each set. I was a bit late starting so for the first set I did 60-80-40, doing my 40 at the end, and had a slightly shorter break as a result. Wore the middle distance spikes, and the temperatures were very pleasant at about 12 degrees. Pretty tired by the end of the session. Felt I ran well. Attacked the first 40 of each rep, but also stayed relaxed.

Beautiful sunny morning for this, but it was very cold, being about 4-5 degrees. Grass was pretty damp. Session was 200-100-200 5 mins 200-100-200. Pushed hard the first set, then took a very slight bit off the effort levels for the second set, as I thought I felt my left hamstring starting to feel a little tired/tight/sensitive. Sometimes this can be more in the imagination than reality, or it could be the running tights, but in any case, I just eased it slightly. Times were:

42.2 - 23.0 - 41.2 - 42.7 - 23.9 - 43.8

Average time slightly slower than last week, though it was much colder on this occasion which can't have helped. Good session.

1 & 1/4 DB Split Squats: 3 x 6 @ 12.5kg in each hand
    Flat DB Press (with pause): 3 x 6 @ 22.5kg in each hand
    One Arm Bent Over Row: 3 x 6 @ 22.5kg
    Prone Lat DB Raise: 3 x 8 @ 3kg in each hand

Tuesday: Long Run & Massage

Decided to take a different route to the one I was running earlier this winter, as I feel I was, on some level, focusing too much on beating the previous week's time. Ran 4.53km in 20:06, at a comfortable pace (22:11 for 5k pace). Aerobically it was fairly easy, but my legs felt heavy, probably from the tough sessions at the weekend. Massage afterwards.

Very cold this evening. About 4 degrees, but no breeze at all. Grass was fairly dry. Much better conditions overall than last week. Session was 350-350-90 5 mins 350-90-350. Jog back recoveries within each set. Times were:

67.3 - 68.9 - 14.1 - 69.7 - 14.1 - 67.8

Was feeling pretty tired at half way, but managed to not fall off very much in the second set. Tied up in the last 100m of the last rep as the legs filled with lactic acid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Which hill do you use for Hill Work?
    I was running up along the Grange Rd (From Rathfarnham village towards eden pub) yesterday and realised how steep the hill is from Hermitage Avenue up to the Junction with Taylor's lane. I was thinking it would be perfect for hill reps.
    Mind you it was on paths I guess you prefer grass? I'd Imagine the gradient in St Enda's park would be pretty similar...

Advertisement