Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Aimlessly Down Under - From 54 to 53 sec 400m

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I presume that for now you'd be happy to repeat that performance before the end of the season? It would be great for your confidence and would hopefully make 53 attainable next season.

Yeh absolutely. There's not a whole lot left 400m wise though. Realistically just 2 more races, as the 3rd one happens after my trip to Switzerland (where there won't be much training done) and it's an evening race also.

1) National Combined-Events Championships - Tullamore - Sat 2nd August
    2) 2eme Meeting National de Courses - Lausanne - Sat 9th August
    3) Dublin Graded Meet Round 9 - Irishtown - Wed 20th August

I arrive into Zurich on Friday evening 8th August. I've found a graded meeting in Lausanne for the afternoon of the 9th. I was planning on spending my first 3 days to travel around Switzerland, so may as well have a race in Lausanne to kick off the trip.

Logic would argue that skipping the decathlon and focusing solely on that race in Lausanne would be the best thing to do to run a quick time, but I don't really want to go 3 weeks without racing, and have no more races on Irish soil this summer. Also, after achieving this target I want to have some fun with the end of the season also. So looks like I will be hitting the decathlon again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Look forward to it, always enjoyed reading your decathlon reports.

First gym session since Nationals.

Bench Press: 8 x 52.5kg, 8 x 57.5kg, 8 x 62.5kg, 4 x 65kg
    Leg Press: 3 sets of 8 x 130kg
    Squats: 6 x 75kg, 6 x 80kg, 6 x 85kg
    Goodmornings: 3 sets of 10 x 45kg
    Circuit Upper Body: 3 x 32 @ 20kg
    Stomach Ball Crunches: 3 x 30
    Planks: 3 x 60 secs
    Russian Twists: 3 x 40 @ 10kg

Was a bit of a tough one to get mentally up for to the same extent as normal. After the highs of such a big run at the showpiece event of the season it can be hard to keep the motivation levels up. However, my focus over the next 2 weeks will be on the National Combined Event Championships, and running a good 400m there, along with a good 100m. The championship nature of the decathlon has historically brought the best out in me.

Found this evenings session very tough. My body just wasn't really feeling it and I felt tired going in to it. 3 x 300m with 10 min recoveries. I wore the middle distance spikes.

Times were:

42.7 - 43.5 - DNF

Felt sluggish throughout. I was on course for another 43 in the last rep but with 100 to go my left calf spasmed so I stopped. Suppose getting 800 of the 900 metres completed is progress on the last 2 Wednesdays! Frustrating not to finish the rep though as the last 100 is where the money is made!

Did some core stuff after with the group, which is a fairly common practice. Then I took out a javelin and did some practice ahead of the decathlon in 10 days. I'm still absolutely hopeless at it, but I'm determined to at the very least get 15m this time. By the end of my 20 mins at it I was consistently throwing between 13-15m.

Gym this evening:

Bench Press: 8 x 52.5kg, 8 x 57.5kg, 8 x 62.5kg, 4 x 65kg
    One-Legged Leg Press: 3 sets of 8 x 50kg on each leg
    Squats: 6 x 75kg, 6 x 80kg, 6 x 85kg
    Deadlifts: 6 x 75kg, 6 x 80kg, 6 x 82.5kg
    Medicine Ball Throws: 3 x 25 @ 5kg

Struggled on the last set of deadlifts, needing to regrip after 4 reps.

This was my second last gym session of the season, with my last planned to be on Monday. Then I will skip Thursday in preparation for the decathlon, and then skip it both days the following week to recover and be rested for the last big race of the season in Lausanne. Next season I'm going to look at getting my gym programme modified as I feel it is getting a bit stale, but that's not something I plan to think about until mid September.

Racing plan for the rest of the season is:

1) National Combined Event Championships - 100m & 400m (and the other 8 events!) - Sat/Sun 2/3 August - Tullamore

2) 2eme Meeting National de Courses - 400m - Sat 9 August - Lausanne

3) European Athletics Championships - 800m media race - Sat 16 August - Zurich

Not going to bother with the graded meets for the rest of the season. I've been pretty much racing since last October, with just an 9 week break without it, so not going to drag this season out past my trip to Switzerland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Next season I'm going to look at getting my gym programme modified as I feel it is getting a bit stale, but that's not something I plan to think about until mid September.

No harm to think about it in advance ;).

There are loads of really good gym programs out there if you have a look around on the web. Most of them assume that's the only exercise you do, so you can just spread them out over a longer time than they tell you to if you're struggling with recovery.

This would be a good winter template for example: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
    You can add in core work and other stuff at the end of the workout.

It's also a good idea to change focus as the season progresses. Try and build up a solid strength base during the winter, bring in more more speed-oriented stiff like plyos and olympic lifts for the few weeks of the winter indoor season, go back to the strength focus after that, and back again to a speed focus coming up to outdoor season.

There's lots of room for variety within that, I know I'd go mental if I was doing the same thing all the time!

Saturday: Track

Speed session in the sprint spikes. 2 x 60m from 3 point start. Then 4 x 40m from blocks. Finished up then with another 2 x 60m but this time with a jog in flying start, rather than 3 point start. I made a complete balls of my first 60 from a flying start, so ended up doing an extra one on my own at the end of the session to make up for it.

Massage then in the evening.

Sunday: Track

2 x 300m with 7 mins recovery, in the sprint spikes. The focus was on the reps to be fast. Times were:

40.5 - 43.2

First rep was good, and was where I expected to be in relation to some of the others. But my legs were feeling a bit sore from yesterday's massage and the left hamstring felt a bit odd, so on the second rep I didn't quite push it to 100% around the bend, and by the time I hit the straight I was absolutely knackered anyway and had nothing left to give. Wasn't the best rep as I fell further behind some of the others compared to the first rep. But overall happy to get through that session. Was feeling rough for quite awhile after.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Did someone design the gym programme you do for you? Assuming it may have been done in Aus for you? Is there anyone here that can do a specific one for you or are you comfortable doing it yourself?

Did someone design the gym programme you do for you? Assuming it may have been done in Aus for you? Is there anyone here that can do a specific one for you or are you comfortable doing it yourself?

Yeh it was designed by our gym coach in oz. As I arrived back here at the start of summer season I felt more comfortable sticking with it for this season. There's a lad in my training group who is a personal trainer and designs most of the group's gym programmes, so I'll probably just go to him.

Gym session yesterday evening.

Left hamstring was still feeling a tad weak, so decided to not do any leg work as a precaution ahead of this weekend's decathlon.

Bench Press: 8 x 52.5kg, 8 x 57.5kg, 7 x 62.5kg, 4 x 65kg
    Planks: 3 x 60 secs
    Russian Twists: 3 x 40 @ 10kg

Hamstring feels back to normal now. Think it was related to the tough speed session on Saturday. I've had that feeling in the hamstring occasionally and it's nothing to worry about. Just need to modify the gym session when it happens.

So that was my final gym session for the season. I'm skipping my Thursday gym session to be nicely rested ahead of a tough weekend. I'll be skipping both gym sessions next weekend to allow my body to recover from the weekend's exploits, and to allow myself to be ready for one last 400m race in Lausanne on Saturday week.

I'm starting to get really pumped for the decathlon now. I hadn't thought much about it throughout the season, but with Nationals out of the way now, and seeing a buddy of mine from Melbourne, Steve Cain, finish 5th in the Commonwealth Games with inspiring performances, it's now something which has come to the forefront of my mind. I don't just want to run well in the 100m and 400m, I want a PB overall.

A friend of mine from Australia has quite bizarrely decided to fly half way across the world to join me for this event. It's going to be some weekend, and hopefully one of the highlights of the season.

• Advertisement

Track session this evening and more Wednesday evening calf fun. 6 x 120 with walk back recovery, with 7 mins at half way. 30m hard, 60m relaxed and 30 kicking hard again. Wore the middle distance spikes and got through 3 of them, before the left calf spasmed 30m into the 4th rep and I pulled the plug.

4th Wednesday in a row now, while no bother at weekend's. Extremely frustrating, but that seems to be the way it is at the moment.

With the sub 55 in the bag at Nationals, the pressure is off for the rest of the season, and it's time to have some fun with the decathlon. Having said that, I have high expectations of myself to perform close to my best in the 400m, like I have on my previous 3 proper attempts at the multi-event discipline.

Overall my target is modest. I want to 1) break my PB of 2903 pts, and 2) get over 3000 points for the first time. So let's break down the event:

DB = Decathlon Best

100m:

PB: 12.58 (+2.7)
    DB: 12.63 (+1.1)
    SB:

A Target: 12.49 (558 pts)
    B Target: 12.65 (529 pts)

This will be my one and only 100m race of the season. I haven't raced the distance since March. Rustiness may be an issue, but I've been doing loads of speed work in training so I'm confident I can run well. Hopefully the wind will behave itself.

Long Jump:

PB: 4.83m
    DB: 4.77m
    SB:

A Target: 5.00m (382 pts)
    B Target: 4.85m (354 pts)

Again, I haven't done a long jump since my PB in my last meet in Australia. Unlike last season in Melbourne when I was doing jumps as part of my sprint training, I haven't been doing any of that here. However my speed I think has improved so this should hopefully push me on to a solid result.

Shot Putt:

PB: 6.75m
    DB: 6.64m
    SB:

A Target: 7.00m (307 pts)
    B Target: 6.50m (278 pts)

Haven't touched a shot putt since my last decathlon. In Melbourne I regularly threw the shot in Shield meets for my club. Here there has been no incentive to do it, hence I haven't.

High Jump:

PB: 1.31m
    DB: 1.31m
    SB:

A Target: 1.32m (263 pts)
    B Target: 1.29m (244 pts)

I plan to be selective with my jumps to conserve energy ahead of the 400m. Usually I take 8-10 jumps. I'm going to try take 6 on this occasion, along with only 1 warm up jump. I'll look to come in at 1.20, then pass at 1.23, and then take it from there. Not one of my stronger events, and something I never do outside of decathlon.

400m:

PB: 54.88
    DB: 55.34
    SB: 54.88

A Target: 54.87 (604 pts)
    B Target: 55.30 (587 pts)

Obviously I have to target a PB here, but it will be tough after 4 events. That being said I have a great history of running a great 400m in the decathlon. A PB the first year, just 0.13 off the PB the second year, and then my second best ever and 0.34 off the PB the third year. Will the Irish Decathlon bring out my best like the Victorian equivalent did? Only time will tell.

110m Hurdles:

As always, this will be a DNF. No point talking about it.

Discus:

PB: 16.67m
    DB: 16.67m
    SB:

A Target: 17.00m (216 pts)
    B Target: 16.30m (204 pts)

Pretty much guaranteed around 200 pts in this. At the level I am at, there is very little points to be gained for each extra metre I can somehow find.

Pole Vault:

PB: 1.40m
    DB: 1.40m
    SB:

A Target: 1.70m (86 pts)
    B Target: 1.50m (54 pts)

This never goes particularly well. Main concern is to clear a height, and then take it from there.

Javelin:

PB: 13.21m
    DB: 12.05m
    SB:

A Target: 16.00m (108 pts)
    B Target: 13.00m (70 pts)

I've been practicing for this event after training for the last week and a half. I'm improving and am sometimes getting the thing as far as 15-16m. But I was managing that last time beforehand, and then come the decathlon I could only manage 12, so who knows. I'm dreadful at this.

1500m:

PB: 4:52.06
    DB: 4:52.06
    SB:

A Target: 4:48.00 (631 pts)
    B Target: 4:52.00 (607 pts)

I ran a great 1500m back in the last Decathlon, but I had lots of guys around me which pushed me on. It remains to be seen what sort of competition there will be in Tullamore in this discipline. I feel pretty fit, though I haven't run any 800m races this season, unlike last season in Australia. I'd expect a strong sub 5 at the least though.

The total of all my A Targets are: 3155

The total of all my B Targets are: 2927

All my A Targets will mean I sail over 3000 points. All my B targets will get me a new PB.

There's only 7 of us entered for the senior decathlon, along with just 2 for the junior decathlon. Numbers are low, but hopefully it will be an enjoyable and successful weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Scarface10

Get over those hurdles mate. It might be risking life and limb but will definitely get you over the 3000

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Lock

Just checked my 110 hurdles time from the last round of the league. I ran 22.06 which got me 115 points in the IAAF scoring tables. I was shuffling my way up the track. Surely you have some power from the 400m to get you up and over? I think I'm doing the high hurdles again on Sunday so we can look like idiots together if you're looking for company. Mind you my hamstrings were in knots for days afterwards but I'm no sprinter!

Lock wrote: »
    Just checked my 110 hurdles time from the last round of the league. I ran 22.06 which got me 115 points in the IAAF scoring tables. I was shuffling my way up the track. Surely you have some power from the 400m to get you up and over? I think I'm doing the high hurdles again on Sunday so we can look like idiots together if you're looking for company. Mind you my hamstrings were in knots for days afterwards but I'm no sprinter!

Haha, the last decathlon before the hurdles I tried out the 92cm hurdle for practice. I barely cleared one of them. So no chance of 10 at the 106m.

Disaster of a start. 12.97 in the 100 into a -0.7 headwind. Then 4.20m in long jump. Broke badly on first 2 jumps so had to do a safe one. Weather is truly miserable. Pissing rain, wind, and cold. Like winter. No shelter when waiting around in long jump, and there was a lot of waiting around, far too much.

149 pts down on March already. PB is gone at this stage. Just plan on having fun at this point, and stay inside as much as possible.

An absolutely mad day. Not a successful one, and not a very comfortable one either. Some good banter though.

Firstly the weather was beyond horrendous. Pissing rain, all day long. Strong winds, and cold temperatures. Every stitch of clothes I brought got soaked. The type of day better spent in the pub, and to be honest at times I would have preferred to be.

Anyway, a brief recap. 100m in 12.97 into a -0.7 headwind. Everyone's times were really slow though. Then for long jump we were warming up on one pit, I felt great, hit the board perfectly on each jump. Then, incredibly, they move us to a different pit, AFTER we have measured out our run ups. Basically we started the whole warm up again. The weather gets worse, I get tired and cold from standing around, and end up fouling the first 2 jumps really badly. So went with a safe jump with a short run up and got 4.20m.

Shot Putt was a poor 5.95m. High Jump was 1.29m. Each of those events have a story which I will save for the report.

Then after the high jump we were given 30 mins before the 400m. But I wasn't at the high jump because I was out early, and there was no way I was sitting outside in the rain for another 45 mins. So basically it I didn't know about the time of the 400m until 15 mins beforehand. I tried to rush my warm up, but it seemed none of the others were bothered warming up much, and we ready to go. Then followed a mild argument with myself and an official who said I was holding everyone up. I did 4 really quick strides in my spikes, but was not ready. So ended up just striding the first 200m and then kicking. I didn't run it properly and the time was 58.36. Given the other peoople's times, a 56.9 would have been reasonable in those conditions, and I probably would have managed that if warmed up properly. Won't lose a nights sleep over the time.

Total points after day 1 is 1673, which is 326 behind last March. The only thing that is keeping me motivated is the fact that there is one guy only 62 points ahead of me, and he's not good in day 2 either. So, the competitive side of me will try beat him if I can. If I have a chance going into the 1500m then I'll give it a good crack, but if I can't catch him, then I might just cruise it. The main goal now is the Lausanne 400m next Saturday, and because of the shambolic 400m today, I don't feel nearly as bad as I usually do at this stage of a decathlon, so hopefully I should recover quicker than usual.

Good fun (at times) and meeting some good new people. Organisation leaves a lot to be desired though in comparison to Victoria.

A mixed day 2. DNF in hurdles, followed by a poor 15.31m in the discus in fairly cold and windy conditions. Rain then poured down for pole vault, and that combined with the fact they wouldn't let me start below 2m meant I no longer cared and did 2 no heights and passed my final attempt.

Conditions improved then and I ended up really enjoying the rest of the afternoon. Threw 14.66m in javelin which is a PB. Then ran 4:53.84 in the 1500m to finish 2nd out of the 7 of us, which was a great buzz as everyone was still there watching as the men's 4x4s and league presentations were still to come.

Just 1.78 seconds behind my PB from Vic Decathlon back in March, and I finished way too strong, and recovered much quicker than last time, so there was more there if I had a clue how to run distance events. A great fitness test ahead of the 400 in Lausanne and 800 in Zurich to close my season.

Final score was 2546 pts which was 357 pts off the PB. After such rotten weather, it is almost an irrelevance.

It was a truly crazy weekend. I do not believe the organisation was up to scratch, and the decathlon is far from given the respect it deserves here. But I'm delighted I did it, as I met lots of dead sound new people, and had a lot of laughs. There's a good event report in the making over the next few days so stay tuned. :)

This would be my 4th championship decathlon. The previous three were in Melbourne, competitions which provided me some of my fondest memories, both in terms of athletic performance and fun and friendships. I was eager to give the Irish equivalent a try, but was also wary that I had very high expectations from my experiences in Victoria, and that I could quite possibly end up very disappointed. Ireland is not a multi-eventing country and I had this in the back of my head going in, but still expected a lot given it is a national championship.

Preparation:

Preparation at the best of times has never been very good for decathlons. I train for 400m and that is it, and that helps some of the other disciplines. However in Melbourne I used to do some of the field events at Shield meets. However, with the lack of this interclub setup here I have had no incentive to throw a shot putt or do a long jump at the graded meets, so I was entering this event very unprepared. Despite this, I hoped to go over 3000 points, and get a strong 400m race in in the process.

Weather:

When I woke up on Saturday morning and looked out the window of a Tullamore B&B I almost subconsciously admitted defeat. The rain was pouring down, non stop, the temperatures were in no more than 11 degrees, and the wind was strong and biting. This isn't something which lifts the spirits ahead of 2 days of competition.

Competitors:

In total there were 7 of us competing, including a friend of mine from Melbourne who is backpacking around Europe, and decided to coordinate his trip around this event. Numbers were well down on the 14-20 we would get in Melbourne, but thankfully up on the 4 that did it in Tullamore last year.

100m:

I hadn't run a 100m since March. There hasn't really been an opportunity for me to run one this year without compromising my 400m. It's a shame as I've always enjoyed running this event and would feel less pressure doing it. My PB stands at 12.58 and entering the event I had hoped to beat this, but with the weather the way it was this was never going to happen.

The blocks we were provided were far from national championship blocks, with my friend amazed with what he was expected to launch out from. In any case, it's the same for everybody, so I didn't get myself uptight about it.

I was drawn in lane 7 and there was a big dirty looking puddle sitting in only my lane, about 20 metres in! I got out sluggishly and when I lifted my head I saw my friend in lane 6 a few metres up on me. I was in last place but felt ridiculously relaxed. Way too relaxed I think. I closed on the others in the second half but crossed the line at the back of the field, but only a metre or two down on three of the lads. I finished the race feeling I didn't give it my all. It's a fine line that separates being too tense and too relaxed, and you have to get the balance right. The fact this was my first 100m of the season probably meant I was rusty with regards racing the distance.

Everybody's times were way down in such rubbish conditions. I recorded a 12.97 into a -0.7 headwind, to finish 7th of 7 and score 473 points. I'm already way behind where I was in my last decathlon, and truth be told the PB attempt was off already.

Long Jump:

As we warm up the rain has stopped to a light drizzle. We get our run ups sorted and get warmed up. I hit the board perfectly on my 3 warm up runs, and felt great. Then after we have finished our warm up, the official informs us that we will be moved to a different pit as there are 12 masters athletes using our pit. This was quite ridiculous, but if they were going to move us then it better be to a pit with a tailwind. But no, she wanted to move us to another headwind pit with 8 youth athletes. Crazyness. The 7 of us got together and hounded her for the tailwind pit to ourselves and she eventually relented.

We then had to start our warm up and measure our runs ups all over again. Now the rain comes storming down again. There is no shelter. No place to sit without getting soaked, and every stitch of clothing is getting a battering from the elements. I'm now tired and cold and fed up. The first 2 attempts were so bad. I fouled off the wrong foot. I ended up having to take a safe jump off a half run up and recorded a dreadful 4.20m to come 7th of 7 and score 239 points. The PB attempt is now finished, and the rest of the weekend was about no more than having a bit of fun and hopefully picking up the odd good performance.

Back inside into the club house and to find some dry clothes was now the order of the day!

Shot Putt:

There was a lot of confusion as to when and where our shot putt would be. We didn't have a special room for the decathletes and a designated official who communicates everything to us. Everything seemed to be done on a wing and a prayer, and we went wandering around trying to find out where our shot putt would be taking place. Eventually we were told it would be outside the stadium, and off we went. However the shot putt ring was completely flooded. So the official brought out a pretty impressive looking sweeping brush and got to work. However despite his genuine efforts, whatever he swept out, just flowed straight back in. Eventually some of the decathletes took hold of the brush and took turns, and before we knew it we were ready to go.

By this point it is so cold, windy and still pissing rain that I put my club singlet over my jumper so to avoid any more discomfort. My first throw I stepped over the front and fouled. The second attempt was a pitiful 5.95m, and the final one should have been a foul as it hit the line, but they didn't call it straight away so had to measure it and it was around 5.50ish. This is the worst performance I have had in shot putt in a long time.

5.95m to finish 7th of 7 again and to score 246 points.

High Jump:

I always jump in my runners, and so I left my middle distance spikes in my B&B. However I didn't factor in the treacherous conditions, and one attempt at a warm up jump and I could feel myself slipping so I had no choice but to wear my sprint spikes.

The leadup to this was a bit of a farce. The official said that I could enter at 1.20m but then they would have to jump straight up to 1.30m as they have to be at a reasonable height. Firstly 1.30m is not really any more reasonable than 1.20. Both are rubbish heights. Secondly you can't just make up rules like that and jump randomly up in heights and start skipping heights. Once you start it must go up in 3cm intervals. In fairness to her she was only saying what she was told. I wasn't up for such crazy rules and held my ground, and they relented.

I cleared 1.20m at the first attempt, then passed 1.23m, and cleared 1.26m at the second attempt and then 1.29m at the first attempt. Maybe I could have cleared 1.30m right after 1.20m but it was the principles. You can't just make up rules like that!

I failed all 3 attempts at 1.32m which would have been a PB. So 1.29m to come 7th of 7 and to score 244 points.

After I was out I left the high jump to go inside, as the rain was pouring down and I didn't fancy pneumonia. Seemed like a good idea. Well apparently not....

400m:

I was relaxing safe in the knowledge that I would be informed when we get our 30 mins notice ahead of the 400m when my mate runs into me and tells me we are on in 15 mins and that he has only just found out off the other competitors. Basically the official told those who were still in the high jump at the end that we now have 30 mins to get ready. As we didn't have our own designated decathletes room (which we should) and didn't have a designated official (which we also should have) no effort was made to ensure that each person knew when the 400m was on.

I started to go outside and rush my warm up. But then out come the other decathletes who weren't too bothered warming up in what was now the worst of the day's weather. The official tells me I have 3 minutes. I freak a bit telling her I am not warmed up. She told me I am holding others up. I tell her I was not at the high jump when she told the few people about the 400m time. She told me that was my fault (yeh as if I am going to stay out in the rain for 45 more minutes, and besides they should have an official who looks after us!). I did 2 quick strides, then she tells me that I can have one more stride. How very kind. I take 2 more quick strides in my spikes and am into my blocks.

I made the decision not to run the first 200m hard. It was not worth the risk when not warmed up. As I approached the 200m mark a lad who is only a 58 runner eats up the stagger on me. At half way I kicked, and moved away from him and one of the others easily, but finished way down on 3 other lads.

I recorded a time of 58.36 seconds to finish 4th of 7 scoring 471 points. The winner ran 53.3 and he is a 50.7 guy, so times were irrelevant. I probably could have dipped under 57 had I been warmed up and ran the race properly, but I no longer cared. It's the slowest 400m I've run in almost 2 years, but it doesn't matter. It felt like a training rep and I was recovered in no time. The good news at this stage that having not run a proper 400 I would feel better the next day that usual.

So after day 1 I am in 7th of 7 with 1673 points. A far cry from the 1999 back in March. Organisation wasn't good, but surely it couldn't get any worse on day 2 right?...

Part 2 of the decathlon report to come but first an update on this evening's track session, the last track session of the season for me.

The group were doing 3x300 but after a string of Wed evening spasms I requested something more endurance minded so I could run flat footed and therefore put less stress on my calves and finish a session.

So I did 5x200 with jog recovery, wearing the flats. Times were:

30.7 - 31.5 - 31.2 - 31.9 - 31.0

Recoveries ranged from 1:26 to 1:33. Nice to have a Wed spasm free after 4 on the bounce.

Massage tomorrow, then I fly to Zurich Fri evening. The next morning I'll head to Lausanne for one big final effort over 400m. The next day I'll do a recovery session in Lausanne, and then on the Monday I'll do something more 800m related in Berne. I don't envisage either being on a track. Then 3 days off as I won't have time once the Europeans start on the Tuesday. Then the media 800m on the Friday afternoon.

Then hopefully a mad night on the sauce to hopefully celebrate medals for Heff. Barr and English that day. :)

• Advertisement

After negotiating an absolute deluge on day 1, all hopes of an overall PB were out the window. What kept me going was the fact my competitors were all super craic, my mate from Australia had made the journey so I couldn't just head back to Dublin without him, and I had already paid for accommodation in Tullamore so I may aswell stick around and have a bit of a laugh, which was all it would be about at this stage. I had a pint the evening before, which I would normally never consider mid way through a decathlon, but it didn't really matter at this point.

The weather conditions were pretty miserable again for much of day 2, though thankfully it cleared up and warmed up in time for the javelin and 1500m.

Day 2 got off to a splendid start when one of my competitors showed us his accommodation for the Saturday night. He hadn't booked anywhere to stay, and with there being a festival on in Tullamore, everywhere was booked out, so he opted to pitch a very third world looking tent in a field beside the outdoor hammer cage. He went out for a stroll Saturday evening, came back and the wind had capsized it and it got completely soaked. Undeterred he took a duvet out of his car, put it into the tent, and slept on top of it, rather than under it. Why he didn't sleep in his car is anybody's guess. Sensational banter though and we all enjoyed inspecting his shack before the discus.

110m Hurdles:

As always, I just ran up to the first hurdles and then DNF'ed. The rules state that as long as you start one event in multi-eventing, you can then continue on to the next one. Of course, the official who I had the argument with the previous day before the 400m, was back at it again. She told me that I may be in a spot of bother as I didn't make a ''Bona-Fide'' effort to get over the hurdles. I told her that this is not the rules for multi-events, and that I gain no advantage by not trying to clear the hurdles. 0 points is seen as sufficient punishment. I told her I have done many decathlons in Australia and that it has never been an issue (not surprising as the guy who writes the IAAF rule book, Brian Wroe, is from Melbourne). She replied saying that ''we are internationally qualified''. I bit my tongue before I said anything I regretted and walked off, but not before seeing one poor lads blocks literally break into 2 pieces.

Another thing I noticed was that the blocks were setup like nationals were, with the wires coming out of them to measure reaction times. These were here for League Final, but no effort was made to have these for Day 1 of the decathlon, a further illustration of who were the priority this weekend.

I made sure to inform the guys at the finish line that I DNF'ed. They put my result as a DNS, which I just knew would happen, given how the weekend had gone thus far. They corrected it with no dramas once I brought it to their attention.

DNF for 0 points.

Discus:

The weather was fairly cold, windy and spitting rain. Pretty miserable and not good conditions to throw far. This event ended up being great craic, and everybody seemed to be pretty relaxed and tried to outdo each other with the shouts and grunts. I threw 12.xx to start which was appalling. My second attempt was 15.31m, and the final one was only about 14m. This was almost 1.5m down on my PB, but conditions couldn't have helped.

15.31m to finish 7th of 7 scoring 186 points.

Pole Vault:

I got hold of a steel pole from about the 1860s to help me get over a height. It wasn't the best looking piece of apparatus but I wasn't fussed. At this point the weather was at it's worst for the day, and when I heard that under no circumstances would the starting height be below 2m I just lost all interest and didn't even bother to warm up. The officials weren't in the wrong here and are within their rights to set the starting height to where they like. However had we not been lumped with the League Final pole vaulters and there were only 7 of us, it would have been much easier to set the bar lower and I could have scored some points.

I took 2 half hearted efforts to get over 2m, just going through the motions, and then scratched my third attempt.

So a NH to score 0 points.

Javelin:

The weather had finally turned a corner, and it was pleasant enough by the time the javelin came around. I took a couple of warm up throws and one sailed to about 15m. My PB was 13.21m, the oldest of all my PBs, so it was only a matter of time before it would go, given the practice I did for this event over the previous week and a half.

My first attempt was 14.66m, which was a new PB. The official told me to watch how I throw it though and not throw it from below shoulder height. I had no idea what she was talking about and it went in one ear and out the other. My second attempt was 12.xx. My final attempt was probably over 15m. It looked the best of the 3, but she fouled me for throwing below shoulder height. I had never knew this rule and I didn't even know I was breaking it.

So 14.66m to finish 7th of 7 scoring 91 points, in what was my only PB of the weekend.

1500m:

This event would be about pride more than anything else. I wanted to finish as high up out of the 7 of us as possible to regain an ounce of pride after not a lot going right all weekend.

However, of all the farcical organisation mishaps, they kept the best till last. We had literally only finished our javelin 5 minutes, when they announced us to get over to the 1500m start line. The official wanted to get our race out of the way so they could save the women's and men's 4x400 relays in the League Final until the very end. Basically the 7 of us refused to go on without being given the required 30 minutes notice. The official got very cranky at us then and said some inappropriate things. Thankfully another official stepped in, somebody who understood multi-events, and had a son competing in multi-events and stood up for us. Eventually the other guy relented and our 1500m was put on after the women's 4x400, giving us time to get warmed up and mentally prepared for the race.

As it turned out, the 1500m was a serious buzz, as with the women's 4x400 relays done, and the men's 4x400 still to come, everybody was waiting around for these relays, and so had no choice but to watch this 1500m race. I got a fair few shouts throughout the race which spurred me on. This is the one thing that was better done than in Melbourne, as usually we would do our 1500m in front of an empty stadium at the end of the programme.

Before the gun went off we all shook each others hands, a true sign of decathlete camaraderie. The gun went off, and I jumped into third spot out of the 7. One lad was a 4:2x 1500m runner, but the other lad who went with him was only a 4:5x guy, but needed 200 point differential to claim the national title so went for it admirably.

At the 300m mark the gap has opened a fair bit between myself and the 2 ahead with the other 4 just sitting behind me. 55 seconds for 300m and 75 seconds for 400m. The second lap was slow and I dropped back more from the leading 2, and as I entered the home straight for the second time, 2 lads went past me. I was cruising though and decided to stick with them and let them do some work for a bit. At this point the top 2 must be about 60m ahead and growing. I go through 700m in 2:17 and then 800m in 2:37.

At this point, with 700 to go, lieing in 5th place, I make my move, just like I did in Melbourne last March. I went past the 2 lads ahead of me, back up into third place. I looked around 100m later and they were nowhere. I had broken them, and third place was guaranteed, but second still seemed mile ahead, although he had now dropped way off the pace of the leader.

As I entered the home straight for the penultimate time I sensed I could upgrade my position from 3rd to 2nd. He was now struggling badly, and as I hit the bell in 3:38ish, he's no more than about 10m ahead of me. I sail past him with 350m to go and he is crawling. He ended up 5th, a good bit outside 5 minutes.

I was now well ahead of 3rd and way behind 1st. I had second in the bag but didn't let up. I pushed as hard as I could and finished ridiculously strongly, with something like a 34 second last 200 (though not certain on this. The winner managed 4:29, and I came home in second place in 4:53.84, just over 5 seconds clear of third. This time was just 1.78 seconds outside my PB, which is a good sign of where my fitness is at. I also recovered so much faster than I did last time. I think there was more there.

So 4:53.84 to finish 2nd of 7 scoring 596 points.

Overall I finished in 7th of 7, with a total of 2546 points, which was 357 points down on my PB, and 15 points down on my second best showing. The weather was beyond terrible though and we reckon we all lost 300 points or so because of it. Truth be told, I didn't care much about my overall score, but was delighted with my 1500m.

Aftermath:

The next 30 mins was great craic. First we had the presentations, and then my friend from Melbourne and myself, requested that we could all get up on the podium for a photo, like we did in Victoria, to which they obliged. Then we did a bit of a lap of honour together, while the League presentations were taking place. Nobody was watching us, we were just sort of taking the mick. Then we stopped at the steeplechase water jump and basically most of us jumped into the water. It was basically party time! The final couple of hours of day 2 was very much the highlight of the 2 days and I enjoyed the banter a lot.

Reflection:

I'd be lying if I said the event was organised well. As much as I love Irish athletics, and have great admiration for much of what was done, the organisation of this national championship event was simply not good enough. We were pretty much an afterthought throughout the weekend. A prime example was the programme for the weekend's events. In it, every single League competitor was listed, yet not a single multi-eventer was, despite the programme being for the whole weekend. One of my competitors bought it as a momento, but upon noticing our names not being there, he handed back requesting a refund. The lad who was selling the programmes said ''the decathlon is next weekend isn't it?''. Says it all really.

I wouldn't be hard on officials individually, as they are all volunteers (then again, they are volunteers in every country), but more so the lack of information provided to them, and the lack of general interest given to a senior men's national championship event. As one competitor said, we should have been the most important people in Tullamore all weekend, given it was a national championship, yet we felt like the least important.

My friend was astonished with what he had witnessed all weekend, and said he will now appreciate Athletics Victoria's organisation of multi-events a lot more than he had previously.

I'm very unsure whether I will do this event next year. In some ways I was trying to recreate an experience which simply couldn't be recreated, and this was always going to lead to many disappointments. However, the weather was so dreadful, that I feel perhaps I should give it another chance in better conditions.

However, the decathletes were a terrific bunch of lads and we all had great craic over the weekend. Life's too short for thinking too much about the bad things, so I'll take all the good memories with me, and try bin the bad ones, or just laugh about them. There were many laughs, and despite everything, I'm delighted I did this event, and had a lot of fun in the process. Just a shame I didn't achieve much from an athletic point of view.

56.03 at the 2eme Meeting National de Courses in Lausanne. The time is average at best, but great experience to run abroad, even with the language barrier. The mind was already in break mode during the warm up. Have just been mentally exhausted since nationals. Been racing almost non-stop since last October. Not unhappy with the result, although a 55 would have been a nicer way to end the season, and there's the thought in the back of my mind that I should have run faster in such amazing conditions on such a good track, but that's all I had today. It was great to run in the stadium which hosts the Diamond League meet and the event was organised so well, which is exactly what you would expect of the Swiss.

With the exception of the media 800 on Friday, it's time for a nice 5-6 week break from training, and plenty of beers. Time to go explore this beautiful city!

About 4 weeks ago, before the national championships, and before I finally nailed that 54, I was frantically looking around for possible races to extend my season as after nationals there is not a whole lot left in Ireland. I had booked a full 9 days in Switzerland based around the European Championships. I had planned to travel the country for 3 days before the event started, so I had a gawk at the Swiss Athletics website. Eventually I came across one meet, the 2eme Meeting National de Courses in Lausanne. I hadn't considered Lausanne as part of my travels, but a bit of research into the place indicated that it was very much a place worth visiting. I wasn't sure what sort of standard this meet would be, but having looked at last year's results it seemed like it was a graded meeting and I wouldn't be out of my depth. So I contacted the man in charge who responded to me in the most basic English imaginable, an indication of the unusual challenges that this meet would provide compared to back home.

I flew into Zurich last night, had a quick look around, and then to bed. Up early this morning, check out and straight to the train station to pay the extortionate 60 euro one way 2 hour 10 minute journey to Lausanne. I wasn't willing to part with 15 CHF (about 12.50 euro) for a few corn flakes, toast and boiled eggs in my hotel, so I picked up some dodgey looking chicken and tartar sauce roll in a newsagent before boarding my train. It kept me full for all of 2 hours. I arrived in Lausanne at 11.30ish, absolutely starving. It took me an hour to get my bearings, find my hostel, and then head back out to a restaurant. It was now less than 2 and a half hours before my race, and I wasn't in the mood for being picky in a strange new city, so I went into the first Italian I found and ordered a pizza margarita. Not exactly the kind of food that one wants to be eating before a race. I picked up a poweraide and some bananas in the supermarket, so at least that part of my build up was normal.

Thanks to the incredibly efficient Swiss public transport I was out to the stadium in no time, with plenty of time to get myself ready and then relax for a bit before warming up. I got chatting to a girl who was sitting behind me, by accident, and it turned out she was a 400m runner also, with a PB of 58, but only running around 60 at the moment. Like myself, she was basically hanging on since nationals, stretching out the season when perhaps the mind and body has had enough. She gave me a few tips with regards where to warm up, when to be ready for my race etc, which was handy because almost nobody in Lausanne seem to speak English, and my French has slipped badly since the Leaving Cert!

317833.jpg

The weather was astonishing. It was 26 degrees, bright and sunny. I should be used to this after my time in Melbourne, but I was actually finding it tough.

I warmed up with a jog around the outside of the stadium first. The Stade Olympique de la Pontaise is the venue for the annual Athletissima meet which began in 1977 and is now part of the Diamond League. The facility was impressive and the track appeared in excellent condition as you would expect. The Athletissima meeting records (which I'm assuming are also stadium records) for 400m are 43.66 by Michael Johnson, and 49.45 by Marie-Jose Perec. Tough shoes to fill!

There's a 50m warm up track beneath one of the stands, similar to that in Santry, so I did my drills there, but nobody seemed to care about people warming up on the actual track, so I ended up doing my strides outside.

To be honest I found the warm up a complete drag. I felt privileged to get the opportunity to race overseas in such a great environment, but at the same time, my mind was already thinking about the end of season break. I felt mentally drained from all the racing, and I couldn't wait to get the race out of the way so I could let loose on my trip around Switzerland. Not the best mental preparations, but after the highs of nationals, I've found it very hard to keep the same intensity up. I don't feel bad about this, it happens to the very best athletes in the world after all! How else can you explain Derval O'Rourke running 12.65 one week, then 2 weeks later at Weltklasse, barely squeeze inside 13 seconds!

With about 10 minutes to go before my race I head down to the start line and continue with my strides from an area where I can pay more attention to what is going on. With the language barrier, this was the part of the meet I was most worried about.

I hadn't a clue how many heats there were of the men's 400m, but as I saw some lads lining up their blocks, and seeing a spare lane, a moment of madness descended upon me. I went over to the official and asked was I in this race. He had no anglais! I genuinely started to think I was in this race and started to laugh but in a concerned manner. Eventually one lad came over with the start lists and I saw my name in heat 2. Crisis averted.

400m:

I was drawn in lane 3. You couldn't have imagined a better chance to run a PB. Great lane draw, warm and sunny conditions, great track. Yet for a combination of reasons my body and mind was just half a yard short in each aspect of the race.

I had no clue how fast the others were, but the first race was won in 47 flat, with the last place guy around 53. I didn't drive as hard out of the blocks as I should have. Definitely one of my more sluggish starts, and it seemed to take my brain a while to cop that I should be committing in the first 100. I felt a pretty strong headwind down the backstraight. I try to not drop the pace by much in the second 100 and kept a pretty high tempo until about 150m in when I switched off for a bit and went into autopilot. The guy in lane 1 ate up the stagger on me (lane 2 vacant) but I can't remember when). Outside me there's a few guys who really are not much ahead of me, and at the half way mark I fancied my chances at catching them. Then whatever happened in the third 100 of the race, they grabbed a few more metres on me. I didn't notice the full extent of the damage until I was in the straight. I was pushing hard in that third 100, but I guess the other guys were just fitter and holding their pace better. The final 100 I could feel myself tensing up, and had to remind myself to relax, which I didn't do as well as I did at Nationals. I tied up a bit in the home straight but the gap didn't really open up much more. I was about 6m down on the guy in second last, and maybe 10-15m down on a rake of athletes. It was a fairly competitive race and I didn't feel that some of those lads were hugely better than me, just a bit sharper in each element of the race, which made the difference at the end.

The winning time was 52.4 which I saw while I was still running. I knew when I saw this that there would be no 54, and expected a 55, maybe even 56. My time was 56.03 seconds, which is the 4th fastest run of the season. Given everything surrounding it, I'm not hugely unhappy with the run. I gave all I had on the day during that race, I was just past my peak for the season. My last race of the season is usually like that, but if I'm going to have an avarage end of season run, then I'd rather have it in a new environment like Lausanne, rather than a graded meet at Irishtown. It was a super experience getting to race here, and I even got chatting to one of my competitors after who had decent English. It was also pretty cool having the announcer call out my name and then say "Irlande".

317832.jpg

On a very side note, that's now the 40th time I had run under 60 seconds. It's a fairly useless fact, but I'm a stats nerd and love useless facts! :)

So that's my final 400m race of the season. I'm now in holiday mode. But I still have the 800m media race on Friday. While I'm not pushed doing much in the way of training over the next few days, I'd love to finish my season with a PB in the Letzigrund. That would be something to tell the grandkids.

317831.jpg

Final training session of the season this morning. I wasn't really bothered doing anything as I'm in holiday mode now, but I didn't want to have a 6 day gap between last Saturday's race and the media 800m. I had a look at the satellite image on Google Maps of Bern, where I currently am, looking for an area of grass that I could run on, and to my surprise I found a track a 10 minute walk from my hostel.

The track was a sand track and was only 300m. It was actually closed but there wasn't anybody there checking so I jumped on as no way was I going to go search for other places to run.

I wore my runners and ran 5 laps of jogging the bends and striding the straights. Nothing too hectic but enough to get the heart rate and breathing up. A sort of session just to keep the fitness ticking over somewhat before Friday, as I won't get another chance to run between then and now.

I didn't waste much time. Just wanted to get the session over and done so I could get back to admiring this:

317972.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18 b0son

This training log is my new fave thread!

I dipped my toe in the water of masters (M35-39) Athletics last season here in Aus (after 15yrs+ of inactivity). My current PB's mirrored yours at the start of this training log, so it's really encouraging to see what sort of improvements one can make and over roughly what time-frame. I'm particularly impressed and inspired by your 64sec to 54sec improvement in the 400m. I had honestly thought below 56sec would likely be unachievable but I think I will give it a serious go.

If you were to pick a favourite workout for 400m preparation, what would it be?

b0son wrote: »
    This training log is my new fave thread!

I dipped my toe in the water of masters (M35-39) Athletics last season here in Aus (after 15yrs+ of inactivity). My current PB's mirrored yours at the start of this training log, so it's really encouraging to see what sort of improvements one can make and over roughly what time-frame. I'm particularly impressed and inspired by your 64sec to 54sec improvement in the 400m. I had honestly thought below 56sec would likely be unachievable but I think I will give it a serious go.

If you were to pick a favourite workout for 400m preparation, what would it be?

Hi b0son. Thanks for the kind words. Where abouts in Australia do you live? If it's Melbourne I can help you with regards finding good competition and training groups.

I'm in Sydney.. I train at odd times due to work, so inevitably train alone. Its a good thing there are plenty of interval-timing apps nowadays, makes it much easier to track progress.

I'm in Sydney.. I train at odd times due to work, so inevitably train alone. Its a good thing there are plenty of interval-timing apps nowadays, makes it much easier to track progress.

Ah right. I wouldn't have any knowledge of the setup in Sydney unfortunately. Main thing is to find a club that is welcoming of all standards, and get into a training group. I trained my first season on my own for the same reasons as yourself, and didn't even do it on a track. I made big improvements naturally, but to get to the next level after that I needed to get into a training group, and also hit the gym, so I started both those things after my first season, when I had a PB of 58.6.

Hard to pick any one specific 400 session that is extra important as there are so many elements to work on, but a set of 300s is a great session for speed endurance. 3 x 300 off 7 minutes is a tough one.

What pace? 300m sprint, or at 400 pace? I've been doing two lots so far ... 300m at my 400 race pace, and 400 breakdowns (300m at 85% of 400m pace, 1min rest, then 100m as fast as possible).

• Advertisement

What pace? 300m sprint, or at 400 pace? I've been doing two lots so far ... 300m at my 400 race pace, and 400 breakdowns (300m at 85% of 400m pace, 1min rest, then 100m as fast as possible).

The latter you mention is a split 400 session, and your pacing would be pretty right there.

With the 3x300 I guess start off doing them at about 85% and build up the pace over time. Alternatively start with 10 min recoveries and gradually bring those recoveries down to 5 minutes.

Advertisement