Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World War 3.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Then why would UK say this:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/dubai/8228244/Britain-forms-plan-for-Gulf-evacuation-in-event-of-war-with-Iran.html?sms_ss=facebook&at_xt=4d1b0ea73637d189%2C0

Surely they wouldn't be wasting their time planning evacuation of British citizens from Middle East in the event of a war with Iran if they didn't know something.

So a review of a citizen evacuation plan is evidence of imminent war to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

The Yanks are a war like culture, bred to fear sex but love violence.

if you look at how their media works they basically have no real allies, they breed mistrust throughout their population of everyone, be it us "Euro weenies" the lying Russians or the secretly wanting to take over the world Chinese. assorted brown faces get lumped into one pile for handy fear mongering.

They are a danger to the world and the sooner they are knocked off the top the better IMO, they are to blame for nearly all the instability we currently enjoy world wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Couple this with the fact Obama just signed for the largest military budget US history of over $800billion.

WTF , 1st I've heard of this. I'm glad he's not bush and all but fuck sake. How did this guy get a noble peace prize?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I'ld say if there's a WW3, it won't be a spectacle like WW1 or WW2. Well atleast not for people in the West. People in Iraq and Afghanistan are witnessing this "spectacle" everyday!

What's going to happen is the "War on Terror" is going to expand firstly into Pakistan, then into Kurdistan and Turkey, then probably Syria and Lebanon as well. But definitely at some stage the war will enter Iran. It could begin with a CIA staged coup like they did with Mosaddegh back in 1953. A CIA backed protest in Iran is enough to give US a reason to invade Iran. A similar sort of protest that happened during Michael Jackson's death after the allegedly "rigged" elections. US was ready to back the protesters and jump into Iraq but the protest was bought under controlled by Iraqi government. Another protest as such would be enough to go to war with Iran.

US didn't need a reason to go to war with Saddam. When it didn't have any reason, it just made up a reason of WMDs and Al-Qaeda links which all turned out to be false.

Also don't forget Ireland is now in the EU. If US requires more NATO support in its war, it could be very possible Irish troops would need to be deployed. Although the bigger impact will be economical rather than military/infrastructure.

Now US keeps going on about how Iran might be secretly developing nukes and how it is posing a threat to Israel. Its not gonna take much for another war to break out in the middle east!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Tbh, whatevers going on now that might make people think ww3 is gonna happen is still nothing compared to all the shit that was going on during the cold war.

I don't see a ww3 happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭el oh el

RichieC wrote: »
    They are a danger to the world and the sooner they are knocked off the top the better IMO, they are to blame for nearly all the instability we currently enjoy world wide.

and their blind support for israel, not matter what war crime they commit, also adds to the tension in the middle east! All it would take is for the US to force israel, and they can, to leave the west bank and gaza, declare an independent Palestinian state and bob's your uncle!

inb4 pc-****: im not an anti-semite

When it didn't have any reason, it just made up a reason of WMDs and Al-Qaeda links which all turned out to be false.

Source please, this is garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

As long as it means another CoD game then roll on WW3! :D

Sisko wrote: »
    WTF , 1st I've heard of this. I'm glad he's not bush and all but fuck sake. How did this guy get a noble peace prize?

I've got to correct, its $680bn.
    Still the largest in US history.

Edit: That was the 2009-2010 budget. The 2011 budget is planned to be $725 billion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Also don't forget Ireland is now in the EU. If US requires more NATO support in its war, it could be very possible Irish troops would need to be deployed.

Somebody obviously wasn't listening when their primary school teacher was describing set theory. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:EU_and_NATO.svg
    What's going to happen is the "War on Terror" is going to expand firstly into Pakistan, then into Kurdistan and Turkey
    You may have also noticed, that NATO includes Turkey

• Advertisement

el oh el wrote: »
    and their blind support for israel, not matter what war crime they commit, also adds to the tension in the middle east! All it would take is for the US to force israel, and they can, to leave the west bank and gaza, declare an independent Palestinian state and bob's your uncle!

inb4 pc-****: im not an anti-semite

They wont do that, far too many Christian fundies and Zionists running the show.

End times wont come until Israel is fully restored, including Gaza the west bank and down as far as the Euphrates river.

It's crazy that you can't have a serious convo regarding Israel without being called an anti Semite... (even jews can't oppose their policy's without being called it)

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Source please, this is garbage.

Source?
    I think everyone knows by this stage Saddam neither had WMDs nor did he have any connection with Al-Qaeda.

Did US find any WMDs in Iraq? Wasn't that the reason US gave for going to war with Iraq??

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭el oh el

It's crazy that you can have a serious convo regarding Israel without being called an anti Semite... (even jews can't oppose their policy's without being called it)

i have been called one before :eek:

Source?
    I think everyone knows by this stage Saddam neither had WMDs nor did he have any connection with Al-Qaeda.

Did US find any WMDs in Iraq? Wasn't that the reason US gave for going to war with Iraq??

Worse than no connection, Sadam despised them, they despised him.

The No WMD is self evident and not up for debate anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Alarmist thread is alarmist

mp3guy wrote: »

You may have also noticed, that NATO includes Turkey

Doesn't matter. Turkey is fighting the Kurds who are fighting for separation from Turkey. US and UK are backing the Kurds on this.

And even when the war does happen, it will mostly be "insurgents", guerilla resistance movements fighting the US/UK/NATO forces. So there will be instances where Iraqi and Afghan militants will be fighting the Iraqi and Afghan armed forces. Like what's happening right now.

Worse than no connection, Sadam despised them, they despised him.

The No WMD is self evident and not up for debate anymore.
    Iran despises USA and USA despises Iran.
    US claimed Saddam had WMDs. US is claiming Iran is trying to develop WMDs.
    And Iran is also supposedly threatening Israel.

Its not very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Doesn't matter. Turkey is fighting the Kurds who are fighting for separation from Turkey. US and UK are backing the Kurds on this.

I think you'll find it does matter.

What you're saying is a direct contradiction. I suggest you ring up NATO and let them know you've got it all figured out so that they can either kick Turkey out of NATO or tell the USA and UK to cop on.

There will not be a NATO civil war - that goes against the entire point of an alliance.

Iran despises USA and USA despises Iran.
    US claimed Saddam had WMDs. US is claiming Iran is trying to develop WMDs.
    And Iran is also supposedly threatening Israel.

Its not very different.

Wouldn't be surprised if Iran was developing nukes, but I wouldn't worry about it anymore than I worry about failed states like Israel having them, there's something to be said for mutually assured destruction.

Source?

Oh sorry, I asked for a source, not 'I think everyone knows herp derp'.

Here are two articles from WIRED and Yahoo which cover nicely what was unearthed in Wikileaks Iraq war logs. That being that there were WMDs.

Don't try discuss war without sources. Your comment earlier on bringing the war on terror to Turkey was the dumbest ****ing thing I've ever read.

[edit]Wikileaks also released logs that showed Iraq were getting ammunition from Iran.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Here are two articles from WIRED and Yahoo which cover nicely what was unearthed in Wikileaks Iraq war logs. That being that there were WMDs.

Don't try discuss **** without sources. Your comment earlier on bringing the war on terror to Turkey was the dumbest ****ing thing I've ever read.

OOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!:o

Don't try discuss **** without sources. Your comment earlier on bringing the war on terror to Turkey was the dumbest ****ing thing I've ever read.

Sounds an awful lot like moderating to me.

I think well be fighting world war three with our miiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnddds!

But seriously tis all speculating although the downturn in the western economy would be boosted quite a bit by a new military economy just like in world war two!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

IvySlayer wrote: »
    USA are in no position to fight. They can't even fight some insurgents in Iraq never mind a full scale war. And China completely owns their economy.

The US is in the best position to fight of the major powers. Fighting a conventional war and fighting insurgency are very different things. Fact is the US has the best weaponry and technology, highest military budget and an army which has recendly experienced combat. They took apart Iraqs porper army fairly quickly. If they had to occupy a hostile territory that would cause them problems in the long run alright, but in conventional warfare they are far ahead of the rest, for now anyway. And China destroying Americas economy would be economic suicide for them aswell.
    The fact that the major European countries are cutting back on their military spending makes me think there won't be a big war, that and nuclear weapons.
    Not that Ireland would do anything anyway with the stupid triple lock neutrality, meaning any one of 5 foreign countries can stop us using our army.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

All modern wars start out around a negociation table and also end up back at some form of negociation table.

When are we going to learn to skip the piece in the middle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

nuclear fallout,super mutants and 3 tittied woman ftmfw

I'm looking forward to the BBC boxset!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Riddle101

This thread kind've makes me think of a load of guys sitting around a basment smoking Marijuana and discussing world events and coming up with throeries. All I have to say to this is, don't touch my mountain dew:mad:

Seriosuly though, I'm not sure if a World War is really all that likely tbh. Firstly let's look at the fact that we have the UN. While some might call it a 20th century relic, with no real power. It's still used to discuss topics around the world between nations. before World War 2, you only had the League Of Nations, but since the US and Russia were not invovled, China was still trying to get it's sh!t together and the LON was largely dominated by Britain and France, it proved to be a failure. The UN however was set up to stop another World War from breaking out. While it shows signs of incompotence, it's still might be able to divert a world war from happening. Now you're probery thinking about how it couldn't stop other wars from happening, but compared to WW2 there are no wars of that calibre going on. One could say the Vietnam war was just as if not worse, but that only involved the US and the Vietnams, Russia might have been involved too but not in a war type effort.But my point is, it wasn't a world war. the Vietnam War was huge yes, but Other then that, wars today tend to be conflicts, focused in a certain place, i.e Iraq and Afghanistan and not around the world like WW2.

Secondly, people say China and the US would get involved in a war on opposing sides. But I think they're too afraid to fight each other. It would be like the Cold War all over again. The US and Russia never actually had a hot war and that was the period when people said a war between those two nations was very possible. Now they did come close at times, but they always managed to find a common ground and stop a war from happening. I believe the reason for that, is because both countries were too afraid to go to war. Otherwise, they might have done so. Especially with the Cuban Missile Crisis. Would America be as so hesistant to go to war if a country like North Korea had done that with Iran. Of course i've read those wikileaks files about North Korea supplying Iran, but i won't talk about that at the moment because i'm already talking about quite a bit now. But my point is, the US and China today would be on the same level as the US and Russia during the cold war. It would be more about postoring, but ultimately I don't think either nation really wants to go war. Especially the US.

Thirdly, In regards to North and South Korea. These guys have been going at it for many decades now. Technically speaking, they are still at war with one another. However it's more of a cold war now then it is a hot war. But as for the all the things going on on with the Koreas. North Korean army attacking a South Korean navy vessel last month. Or the thing last year. People have the remember that this isn't the first time things like this has happened. No, it's been going on for years and despite all the problems nothing has come about between them. People said last year that a war was going to happen back then, and nothing came about. A month after, people forgot about it and everyone was at ease again. Now that dosen't mean a war could not happen between them, but just that I don't think the North and South really want a war either. If they do go to war, it will most likely be a fight between South and North Korea. I don't really see any reason for another country getting involved other then the US who are allies to the South and have been anti-NK for a long time and China who are allies to the North and are right beside Korea. But the US military is already over expanded as it is, and I don't think Barrack Obama really has the guts to pull the trigger tbh. He's more of a diplomat, not a war monger like George Bush. As for China, well I don't see them getting invovled in a war like role. At best a full scale war between the Koreas would most likely see the US and China getting involved only as suppliers. i.e China supplies the NK and USA supplies the SK but that's about it. Other then that, i don't think a World War can come from a war between those two nations. It would really just be a conflict.

Fourthly, In regards to Iran. While they do have a possiblity of starting a war. It would be just like the Gulf War all over again. But in a more extreme way. It wouldn't be just Iraq vs the US and Britain, it will proberly be like Iran and Syria(if they side with Iran) and proberly insurgent groups such as Hamas and Hezbollah Vs Isreal(who will most likely be at the forefront), the US and possibly Britain and any other nations who oppose Iran. Now this could be more of a heated war, and could proberly be a huge war. But the possiblity of it being the scale of a world war, I don't know. It would seem most likely, but unless my prediction comes true, i don't see it happening. At most the war would be more centered around Isreal and Iran. Their allies may play minimal roles, but I don't really know tbh. With this topic I can't be too sure as it is so unpredictable.

In conclusion, I just basically analyised all the hot spots the world, where a war is likely to occur and made my own opinion on the thread. I proberly most likely am wrong though. So my opinion is about as right as anyone elses. But that's how I see things happening. Do I believe a World War can break out. I wouldn't be hugely doubtful, but I wouldn't be too sure a war could happen. Not from the way I see things anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

worst film EVER

it's up there with Jeepers Creepers

Was not, book was good also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

If WW3 does break out, Galway should use the opportunity to take Westport. All Mayo people to be exiled from annexed lands too.

Advertisement