Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training - how much / what type

Options
  • 06-01-2011 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭

Quick query. At this time of year how much training and what type of training do you do?
    What are you training for: sportives, racing, audax, fitness etc

In terms of type in case folks don't want to give too much away maybe split between % of time at endurance strength or speed.
    Thanks. Just curious.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭billy.fish

ROK ON wrote: »
    Quick query. At this time of year how much training and what type of training do you do?

In terms of type in case folks don't want to give too much away maybe split between % of time at endurance strength or speed.
    Thanks. Just curious.

Doing: Cross

Training: Pretty much all high end work with some recovery

Will be doing come monday: Longer steady state, just below tempo with some threshold for the next 3-4 months

For: IM racing and 24hour racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

ROK ON wrote: »

Thanks. Just curious.

training for letape I, trying to commute in the stiffest gear I have at a steady pace but not to the point were I am gasping. Planning to gradually crank up the miles each week and go up and down the hills that I find in the stiffest gear I can manage with a smooth stroke.

Contrast that with most of last year which was just going as fast as possible up any hill I could find, and sprinting and resting between lamp posts etc on the way to work. And weekend rides were more about finding longish routes with any steep hills I hadnt cycled up before. There was no real objective other than to improve fitness and be able to get through sportifs with a good time. Last autumn I did go up and down the Cork airport hill 13 times, before it got dark, just to see what that would do to my muscles as I had a vague notion of doing letape at that point. I know (or I dont actually know..!) its a million miles from being a relevant comparison but you have to start somewhere. How about up Mahon falls 4 times consecutively ?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

For me its (same as last year) to start commuting daily again, while adding some distance to the commute as it gets brighter / warmer.

I also want to get some long weekend spins in, but I find it hard to cycle
    steady state and end up doing interval type training all the time.
    Properly need to start re-thinking this but at the moment just getting out and loosing some weight is my top priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

A weekend spin of about 100km plus another shorter one of 50ish and miscellaneous commuting miles - I'll be ramping back up to 200km spins on Saturday and another 100km odd with Orwell on Sunday by the end of the month though.

All endurance, although heading out with Orwell sometimes qualifies as a speed workout for me, getting ready for the PBP qualifiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭markdrayton

Training to ride faster, race CX/MTB XC and have a couple of weeks in the big mountains. I commute each day (20km round trip) and aim for 4 or 5 sessions from the following selection each week:

* turbo session (2x20, 3x20 or 1hr)
    * 90min tempo/sweet spot road ride
    * long road spin
    * MTB spin

Focus is on maximising the accumulated stress/need for recovery balance. Besides commuting I don't generally do much at long/steady pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

as much time as possible @70-80% max Hr
    one lactate session a week
    commute one way in 53x11( it's flat)

until next stage of training...............

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

rottenhat wrote: »
    A weekend spin of about 100km plus another shorter one of 50ish and miscellaneous commuting miles - I'll be ramping back up to 200km spins on Saturday and another 100km odd with Orwell on Sunday by the end of the month though.

All endurance, although heading out with Orwell sometimes qualifies as a speed workout for me, getting ready for the PBP qualifiers.

Christ and there was me thinking of heading out for 70-80k tomorrow. It's the word spin that hurts the most.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

BryanL wrote: »
    commute one way in 53x11( it's flat)
    Is that a good idea? You must have legs of steel.

Interesting post here regarding motor pacing and getting fast.

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showpost.php?p=400365&postcount=13

Anyone ever tried it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Anyone ever tried it?

Other than drafting cars in traffic, no. Always wanted to try it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

About 8 hours or so
    2 days doing threshold stuff
    1 day recovery and sprint stuff
    1 day long club ride or solo
    Will start commuting again im feb bring up the hours a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Interesting post here regarding motor pacing and getting fast.
    Anyone ever tried it?

I heard about it on a recent club spin, and as a motorcyclist I'm willing to give it a try, but by jasus do the two participants have to trust eachother! I'd be fairly sure that there would be a lot of frowning from insurance companies in the event of anything going wrong if it were found to be orchestrated!

Idleater wrote: »
    I heard about it on a recent club spin, and as a motorcyclist I'm willing to give it a try,
    Brilliant, one volunteer.

Seriously though, i dunno if I'd have the nerve. Never mind the fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

Anyone ever tried it?

<snipped>

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

My goal is Wicklow 200 and 5,000km of road for the year

Accomplished by aiming for 96km min a week.

Split between at least 2 nights a week of 15-35km and a long Sat/Sun spin, building up as the weather gets nicer.

Plus a 5km round trip to work when I cycle, potentially giving up to an extra 25km a week

Already well ahead of target :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

100Suns wrote: »
    <snipped>

Come on...give us the gory details!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

chakattack wrote: »
    Come on...give us the gory details!

On reflection it was irresponsible. I'll fill you in on W200.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭cantalach

Until there's more light in the evening/morning, I'll continue spending about 4-5 hours per week on the turbo and just 2-3 hours doing proper outdoor cycling. Roughly half my turbo sessions at the moment are either FTP intervals or strength work (very high resistance, low cadence stuff). The other half of my turbo sessions are endurance. Come May/June I'll be up to 12 hours per week with only perhaps 1-2 of that being turbo.

I'm training for sportives, a four day charity tour in August, an 'Amstel Gold' weekend in April, and a trip to the Alps in early September. If there was an open TT league in Cork I'd be up for it but in my 40th year, I'm too old (or too chicken) to take up road racing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Thanks for the replies.
    Myself I do 8hrs presently.
    Two interval sessions (spinning class & turbo)
    Midweek spin between tempo and threshold with some intervals (either hill repeats or speed).
    W/E spin. Mostly hilly so try to time those and go hard.

Will hope to do same 4 day event as Cantalach but no other firm goals. Maybe some league racing if still in Dublin midweek.
    A few sportifs more (would like to do Mt Leinster challenge).
    Seriously considering entering a few open races held close to Kerry, however my inability to train in a fast group with a club will probably put pay to that. We'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

I have taken January as a month this year when I have put everything training wise I do online. I have not broken down what I was trying to accomplish in the particular sessions but HR (lots of noisy data) and Power is there.

I'm going to write a post about it once I'm done with the current training camp. Not too many 'top riders' (not saying I'm a top rider, yet) put up everything and I wanted to show what I have been doing so that people can have an idea of what it takes when I hopefully start winning later in the year.

You can see my profile on Strava: http://app.strava.com/athletes/8492#interval_type?chart_type=hours&interval_type=month&interval=201101&year_offset=0

I have actually missed a couple of (non interesting) indoor sessions at the start of the month - I'll add those in at some point to.

Basically, lots of L2, L3 and L4 intervals (twice per week). Some neuromuscular training when I'm fresh too.

I hope this is some insight.

• Advertisement

Thanks, Ryan. That's a fantastic insight. Just one thing though...in order for the HR figures to make sense, can you tell us your HRmax? The raw bpm on its own is kinda meaningless, other than being able to make relative comparisons between your different efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

cantalach wrote: »
    Thanks, Ryan. That's a fantastic insight. Just one thing though...in order for the HR figures to make sense, can you tell us your HRmax? The raw bpm on its own is kinda meaningless, other than being able to make relative comparisons between your different efforts.

My avg HR for a 1 hr CX races is around 178-180
    Average for a 2hr MTB race, 175
    Average for a 5hr Marathon MTB race, 150-170
    Road race - completely depends - usually the same as a marathon MTB race.

Max I have ever seen on the bike is 192 but if I hit 185+ it means I'm going HARD and am reasonably fresh.

Long descents (where my hr can drop to the 40s/50s) skewers avg HR so it is not worth reading much into. Same with power, long descents with little or no pedalling skew the avg wattage for the ride. Normalized power for most of the riders here (non recovery) is between 265-300W

Also, HR doesn't make much sense for me anyway - too variable during efforts - I ride with a HR monitor always, but very seldomly use it during a session. Power/RPE is where it is at for me.

Thanks again. I appreciate that you train based on power rather than HR. But I guess a lot of us don't have the benefit of SRM or equivalent so the next best thing for us is to look at what sort of %HR you're doing in an interval or climb. I realise that HR is affected by many factors (not just how much power you're putting out) but it's a reasonable poor man's alternative nonetheless.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

My goal is also the W200, which currently seems like a big ask. Training at present is 2-3 short lunch time spins per week up Cruagh to Johnnie Foxes and a longer spin at the weekend. Also doing kettle bell and boxing training each week for general strength and fitness, cutting back on the booze, and eating well. Plan is to add some distance each week and have gone over all the hills a few times prior to the event. Certainly want to be doing > 200k per week prior to the W200, and have done a 140k-160k a few weeks before. Can't believe how out of shape i've got since last summer.

Looks like stage racing is the key to getting fast.
    The 21-year-old Australian came into his national track championships having just completed the Santos Tour Down Under, where he rode in support of Garmin-Cervelo teammate Cameron Meyer's winning performance. Bobridge spoke of notching his best pursuit times following a stage race, a situation which Boardman found familiar.

"That's an interesting observation [by Bobridge] because 1996 was the year I went through the whole Tour de France," said Boardman. "I really struggled but was getting better towards the end. I came out of it and I had the best form of my life for probably six to eight weeks afterwards.

"[The world record] was off the back of very, very intense stage racing which is not how I'd normally do things. Normally, I'd want to do it more carefully and controlled thinking about the training."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/boardman-calls-bobridges-pursuit-record-phenomenal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

That reminds me of something I read about Janez Brajkovic after he won the Dauphiné. A week later he beat his previous CP5 by 40 watts, which is quite a bit.

Joe Friel calls it 'supercompensation' following a crash block. It's a bit high risk and unlikely to work for any of us, but for those already near their genetic potential a pattern of training to peak, tapering, crash block (like the Dauphiné or TDU) and then rest can produce top form.

LINK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

Idleater wrote: »
    I heard about it on a recent club spin, and as a motorcyclist I'm willing to give it a try, but by jasus do the two participants have to trust eachother! I'd be fairly sure that there would be a lot of frowning from insurance companies in the event of anything going wrong if it were found to be orchestrated!

In most policies it is specifically NOT covered. So, be warned - the rider can take you personally to the cleaners if anything goes wrong.

niceonetom wrote: »
    Joe Friel calls it 'supercompensation' following a crash block. It's a bit high risk
    I heard the Irish rugby team were doing training similar to this before the last world cup. That gamble didn't pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

In most policies it is specifically NOT covered. So, be warned - the rider can take you personally to the cleaners if anything goes wrong.

Define "rider" - "Motorcyclist" is considered a "rider" for insurance purposes, and being able to stop in the distance in front is a duty of care for any road user, cyclist included.

Personally I would (as indicted) be uncomfortable driving a motorcycle closely followed by any vehicle, cyclist included, and I have RoSPA advanced, without familiarisation if at all, so your quote and point are severely misplaced.

• Advertisement

I read Fignon's book over Christmas and he says he used something akin to supercompensation in the lead in to his first Milan-San Remo win. Just a few days before the race, he rode over 200km on just a light breakfast.

Advertisement