Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac App Store launches today! (Jan 6th)

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

eeloe wrote: »
    What'll happen to 3rd party applications such as ableton live and traktor?

If apple doesn't like them, they won't get on to the app store?
    Yeah, but it's more probable that they won't like Apple's rules and won't bother submitting to the App Store in the first place. As I've said before, the Mac App Store will appeal mostly to small developers. The big developers aren't going to be too bothered about it, unless it becomes a big hit in which case they'll probably submit an overpriced version to the App Store. Having to fix their apps to resemble actual Mac apps and not Windows-lite apps will probably be a bigger issue for most of them.

And again (like Johnmb said) it needs to be strongly emphasised - you will still be able to buy applications on disc, download from developers websites as you always could. If users and developers don't like the Mac App Store then they don't have to use it. The belief that Apple are going to lock down the Mac and make the App Store the only way to install apps is complete and utter nonsense. It is a belief being propagated by traffic-whoring, Apple-hating pc bloggers and their legion of commentators.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Thank the lord it's only going to be a secondary supply(maybe in time the priority supply).

The whole reason I bought my MacBook was for the stability for music performance.

I wouldn't know what to do if the Traktor and Abletons of the future weren't passed for the MacAppStore!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Software update not showing up for me, telling me i'm up to date with 5.5.8 ( i think)
    Any ideas?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You mean 10.5.8? If so that's Leopard. You need Snow Leopard (10.6) for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭talla

talla wrote: »
    Crashes for me every time I try and purchase an app. Have tried to purchase Iphoto and IMovie on two separate occasions after reboots and just getting spinning beach ball after I click the purchase button.
    Have to force quit the app.

Hmm got it working by installing update on my Imac and then using app store on my Imac to make the purchase. Was having the problem with the App store on my Macbook Pro but since I signed in on the Imac everything is fine.

What I'm unclear about is I purchased Iphoto on my Imac and installed, when I go into the App Store on the Macbook Pro, Iphoto appears in the purchases tab. Is it free to install on the Macbook Pro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Up to 5 computers I think. Kinda like iTunes authorization

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

i like the app store!

angry birds here i come :D

Why OH Why ? did I buy it ...:o

Must stop playing .......go to bed :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

You actually paid for angry birds?? :rolleyes:

Bloody store has been hacked already!

[ Snipped piracy how to link ]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Similar to installing cracked apps or pirated apps on iOS, please don't post links on how to pirate from the Mac App Store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Whoops sorry!... Have fun with that one Adain!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

00Blaine00 wrote: »

Hilariously easy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭barryj

00Blaine00 wrote: »

It only applies to applications that don't check valid receipts are for their own bundle ID, so developer fault and problem.

- barry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

A full hack will come soon, hope it gets patched as soon as that happens as not all software can be free.

Floss is great if you have a steady income, not all developers do - buy your software.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

It's a shame that popular high-end stuff - CS5, for example - will never be available on it due to the size of Apple's cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I see this store as being for people who are not very good with computers or people who are but just want to use the bloody things.

So - cs5 etc do not fit in here even if apple didnt charge 30% and the whole thing between the two companies.

Bodega is like this app store except its older and works with all/most apps you downloaded anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 BeeBumble

lordgoat wrote: »
    Software update not showing up for me, telling me i'm up to date with 5.5.8 ( i think)
    Any ideas?
    You mean 10.5.8? If so that's Leopard. You need Snow Leopard (10.6) for this.

Hi,

I've got 10.5.8 too. When I go to software update it says there's none available. I've downloaded both 10.6.6 update combo (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1349) but when I try to install it it says that this software needs 10.6 to be installed.

Just wondering how to get Snow Leopard (10.6)? Is there a free upgrade available or do you have to buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

You have to buy snow leopard, it's €30 I believe. Intel mac required.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

And 1 GB RAM required minimum, but 2gb is recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

Quick question, but has anyone downloaded garageband from the store yet, and if so, how'd it go since? the reviews left don't inspire much confidence!

Advertisement