Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac App Store launches today! (Jan 6th)

Options
  • 06-01-2011 3:19am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Just to remind everyone that the Mac App Store is launching today. Rumour is the application will be available to download from around 12pm EST, which is 5pm Irish time. It will only work on Snow Leopard.

Here's Apple's preview page.

UPDATE: It's out now with 10.6.6. Check your Software Update.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I will check it out because im just like that - but in so much as using it idc for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Tweetie 2 all but confirmed for App Store launch!! Looks amazing

Altho it will be handy as like a built in ninite.com for setting up new systems for other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Are we due an update to the OS today as well then? I seem to vaguely remember something about needing 10.6.6 to use the Mac App store, although I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere over the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭barryj

10.6.6 is on software update now.

- barry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

The futures bleek, the futures appstore

Well I've updated and had a look at the app store. One irritating thing is it gives an error when I try to buy an app - at least the free ones I tried.

One interesting thing, is it shows my iWork apps as installed, having bought them previously. Given that my understanding of the app store is that purchase of apps includes future upgrades, I wonder if that means I'll get iwork 11 for free whenever it appears - the versions in the app store are currently 09 and not the expected '11 release.

- barry

barryj wrote: »
    Well I've updated and had a look at the app store. One irritating thing is it gives an error when I try to buy an app - at least the free ones I tried.

In case anyone else gets this - a reboot fixes the problem.

- barry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Downloaded tweetie 2 to give it a go. Pretty much a riff on the ipad design, I use tweetdeck for android as my twitter client and I don't think I will be moving away.

One disturbing thing, moving an app from folder to folder requires password entry. Clearly even the free apps are DRM'd. I wonder how this will impact non-time machine backups.

Either way from this point onwards I intend to never use the appstore again unless left with no other option. If it becomes the only way to install apps on a mac I'm moving to a Windows Linux dual boot setup.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

One disturbing thing, moving an app from folder to folder requires password entry. Clearly even the free apps are DRM'd. I wonder how this will impact non-time machine backups.
    The free apps don't have DRM. That's just a permissions issue. Apple's own applications have always been like this. Try moving Address Book or something into another folder and the same thing will happen. Right-click, Get Info on the application and you can change the permissions quite easily.

And with paid apps, afaik there is no problem copying them to other Macs, you just have to log in using your Apple ID.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Ah ok, so they're DRM'ed at the point of use then so.. it must follow the same model as the iOS apps do.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's a bit bum, they want more money for angry birds, hello I already paid for it on my iphone.
    They also want 11.99 for pages etc, these updates should be free.
    Can't see me opening the app store on my mac again unless it's for my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It's a bit bum, they want more money for angry birds, hello I already paid for it on my iphone.

If you buy any software for Windows and then want the same title on your Mac, you usually have to pay for it again, and visa versa.

It should't be a surprise to anyone at this stage that you pay for pretty much everything per platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Why is the update over 6 GB in size. I dont have enough room left on my mac's hard disk

swingking wrote: »
    Why is the update over 6 GB in size. I dont have enough room left on my mac's hard disk

The update is about 114MB if I remember correctly. Using software update will vary depending on what updates you already have installed. The combo update is a little over 1GB. The combo update contains all updates since 10.6.0, so can be used on any mac that has any version (at least any public released version) of Snow Leopard.

I don't know where you're getting a 6GB figure.

- barry

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

Do you think this is the future for software on the mac? IMO it looks likely that apple will put out their software exclusively on this new store. And with the DRM it would really stamp out piracy.

It's great if they go down the road where every mac app (VLC, Skype, Pages, iTunes, MSN Messener, Quicksilver, Audacity etc...) was available in one place and automatic updates applied to every piece of software on your mac. But it would suck if they charged even €1 for apps I'm used to getting for free like VLC & Audacity etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

that in itself is a major issue. you should have an absolute minimum of 10% of your boot disk free at all times for swap files. ideally 20% should be free on smaller hard drives.

try downloading the combo update and installing from that.

Available here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

alexlyons wrote: »
    that in itself is a major issue. you should have an absolute minimum of 10% of your boot disk free at all times for swap files. ideally 20% should be free on smaller hard drives.

try downloading the combo update and installing from that.

Available here

I have about 3 GB free and it still won't let me update. I really need to clear out my hard disk. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

3GB is way way to low!

Suggestions would be:
    move photos to an external disk (and have a backup of these)
    use "monoligual" to clear out extra languages (can save GB's)
    go through your app's folder and be very tough and delete what you don't need.

what size hd is in it at the minute? and what type of mac? i'd suggest upgrading, having excellent backups, and keeping a lot more free in the future! i'll run through more stuff if you want, I've a decent bit of experience with this! let me know man!

??? Why should they be free? How would they ever make money on them if that was the case? Updates within the same product are free (e.g. an update to Pages '09), but upgrading from one to another (e.g. Pages '09 to Pages '11) has never been free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

I have about 3 GB free and it still won't let me update. I really need to clear out my hard disk. Any suggestions?

Check out Disk Inventory

Handy for showing you what files take up the most space. I saved a few GB's by deleting loads of duplicates in itunes and I recompressed all the high 320kbps mp3's down to 224kbps. Took a while but saved a lot of space. And put all your movies/photo's on externals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

i like the app store!

angry birds here i come :D

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭finno

I can't download anything keeps coming up with an error "There was an error on the app store please try again later".
    Anyone else getting this?

Fixed it just have to reboot the mac and it solved the problem

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Doodle Jump for iMac

Picture it ;)

Can't see me opening the app store on my mac again unless it's for my phone.

If you want to play the phone version use your phone it costs time and money to develop a new version of a game for a different platform (yes iphone and mac are diff platforms as far as development is concerned)

Good to see the individual iLife and iWork apps for sale at reasonable prices. I've often bought the latest iLife disk, but iPhoto is all I'm really interested in.

Also, Aperature 3 is only €62.99 instead of the €199 they charge for the hard copy version on the Apple Store!!!

This makes my decision on whether to upgrade to Lightroom 3 or switch to Aperture much easier.

Yoink!, as the kids say...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

What'll happen to 3rd party applications such as ableton live and traktor?

If apple doesn't like them, they won't get on to the app store?

eeloe wrote: »
    What'll happen to 3rd party applications such as ableton live and traktor?

If apple doesn't like them, they won't get on to the app store?
    Anyone who doesn't want to jump through the hoops Apple has (rightfully) put up to get into the Mac App Store can continue to sell their software the same way they have up to now. The Mac App Store is just an additional supply line, it will never be the only supply line. It will likely become the biggest though, as most Mac users will like the handiness and security of it. But those who have a deeper interest will continue to use their existing suppliers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭talla

Crashes for me every time I try and purchase an app. Have tried to purchase Iphoto and IMovie on two separate occasions after reboots and just getting spinning beach ball after I click the purchase button.
    Have to force quit the app.

Advertisement