Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone ¾ Marathon, Sun 2nd Oct 2011 11am

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Excuseless wrote: »
    Photos now available HERE

Date for the Diary in 2012 - Sun 30th Sept - 4 weeks Pre DCM :)
    Better link for the photos - clicking back on the other link takes you to 2010's photos, so you can't find the other galleries

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

RAL3 wrote: »
    Finished up well but quote of the day belongs to SJ when going up the hill at mile 18;

'if there is tarmac on the road - it can't be classified as a hill!'

I have it on very good authority that that is most definitely not what the chancer said at mile 22 in last year's Dingle marathon! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 forrest5000

28064212 wrote: »
    Better link for the photos - clicking back on the other link takes you to 2010's photos, so you can't find the other galleries
    Opps, I had a typo on the page so its been sorted now.
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 12 forrest5000

subscriber wrote: »
    any handy ways to finding ur race photo.. no way am i thrawling through 2000 photos to find mine..??
    Sorry about that but I haven't the technology or time to write the code for tagging individual runners in galleries (anyone want to help out on that I'd appreciate it).
    The race galleries are broken up by location around the course and the time of the first and last photo in each is given, as well as the location, so it shouldn't be too hard to find yourself. There are only 200 images in each gallery and you can fast forward by clicking on the arrow at the bottom by the row of thumbnails to skip forward by 8 shots.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

4 stars (good)
    searay wrote: »
    Hi, I was spectating yesterday and trying to convince myself that I should ignore the voice in my head telling me to try and run the DCM next year.

2 questions on pacing:

When you were pacing, did you drop your pace on the inclines and increase on the descents or was it a steady 9:38 per mile all the way?

I was watching at the first water station where you'd come up a long climb. I reckon the first 10 runners, looked to be at a rate of exertion of about 6 or 7 out of 10, yet many of the main runners in the pack looked to be at 9. Maybe it was just the hill but what level do you think they should be aiming to be at throughout the race?

Well done to all, I know the course and it's tough, if you could handle it, you'll take the DCM in your stride.

For yesterday's race, we started off slower then the target pace (approx 9:50 pace) because of the hills at the beginning, so that it wasn't too much effort too early into the run. After around 7.5M the downhill section began and we gradually increased the pace to catch up with the target pace for the race. before mile 18, there was a bit of time in the bank to help people get up the last hill as that's where you were most likely to feel the fatigue.

For your 2nd question, Ideally, a race should be run at even splits (2:00 , 2:00) or negative splits (2:01 , 1:59) but difficult enough to do without proper training. Most people head out too fast, get a good first half and then run out of steam in the second half and watch the time slip away. In all the other races, pacers run consistently for the whole race, mile for mile, to help people avoid heading out too fast at the start and suffering for it later. In terms of exertion, most people feel you should be a 10 at the finish line, giving it everything you got at the finish to get the best time. Some people say, if you don't get sick, or come close to getting sick at the finish line, you didn't try hard enough. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dernipper

4 stars (good)
    What was evident this year was the local support along the route, people out on front of their houses giving encouragement, also any cars along the route seemed happy to just pull in, roll down the window and offer support,,

One thing for sure I would certainly think twice about going for a jog on my own around Glasson, some of those dogs were the size of a small horse, thankfully they were well secured and seemed bemused by the crowds going by !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

4 stars (good)
    dernipper wrote: »
    One thing for sure I would certainly think twice about going for a jog on my own around Glasson, some of those dogs were the size of a small horse, thankfully they were well secured and seemed bemused by the crowds going by !

Ya, I think i saw a dog walking behind his owners Merc at one stage but the dog never fully disappeared...I could still see the top of his head when he was behind the car...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

3 stars (average)
    DigiGem and Myself smiling and laughing going up the last big hill, somewhere between miles 18 and 19...

Fantastic when all the hard work pays off :cool:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150402238552664&set=at.8111322663.24551.646657663.646657663&type=1&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

4 stars (good)
    Some great feedback here. We take all comments seriously and will aim to make further improvements for next year.

There was a lot of confusion regarding the pacing - we may have made it overly complex. Will add a bit more info here and hopefully a little easier to understand for next year. Essentially, if Dublin is your major goal then Athlone should be a prep event. Running a little slower than marathon pace means your recovery is short and you'll finish strongly. If you ran flat out from the gun, it may take over a week to recovery fully - not necessarily bad, but it's depends on the individual. From reviewing splits, most of you seem to have done very well - several with strong last quarters which is impressive when that small hill is taken into account.

Point noted regarding refreshments at the finish. There is an element of encouraging people into the hotel as we have to keep our welcoming hosts happy also, but we can definitely make some improvements.

Regarding refreshment stations, most people simply want water and carry a their gel of choice with them. 250ml bottel suit most runners. We will look into having an isotonic option for next year, particularly on stop 3 I would say.

Survey to entrants to follow in next few days to collate your feedback. Thanks all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I didn't do this but it's great to see all the positive feedback. I think the slightly slower planned marathon pace is another great idea.
    One question to the organisers, with it being so successful would they consider doing a similar race aimed at Cork?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

DigiGem and Myself smiling and laughing going up the last big hill, somewhere between miles 18 and 19...

Fantastic when all the hard work pays off :cool:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150402238552664&set=at.8111322663.24551.646657663.646657663&type=1&theater
    You two both look way too happy there for that stage of the run :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭s_gr

4 stars (good)
    Hi,

I have to say the race was excellently organised and water stations were great. It was a great training run towards my 1st DCM in 4 weeks - tough course but will deffo stand to me.

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 BRunner

Really well organised race, fruit and fizzy cola bottles much appreciated at water stations, locals made a real effort to support everyone and didn't seem to mind being held up because of the race. Found it really difficult from mile 16 to the finish but hope it will serve me well for my first marathon in Dublin. Really sore hips today from all of those hills!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

4 stars (good)
    I have it on very good authority that that is most definitely not what the chancer said at mile 22 in last year's Dingle marathon! :D

Thats very true. A correction on my part. Definitely found the Dingle hill challenging in the context of where it was in the 26 miles and the heat of the day. The hills around Glasson were mild by comparison. Certainly our pace didn't really alter much on it whereas in Dingle the groups blew apart :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

4 stars (good)
    RAL3 - Many thanks for the positive feedback on the pacing :DYour in better shape than the DCM target time that you are going for.:rolleyes:

I finished a little ahead of my predicted pacing time but I factored in slowing down at "the hill" at mile 18. This never happened.

This race really surprised me, I've done a lot of races and this race was excellent. Its got so much going for it. I thought the route was really nice, having done a few IMRA races them aint hills;) Slogger Jogger has brain washed me.

The overall organisation was superb and little I could fault. The post race rub down was most welcome. Well done to Barry and company. This race could really grow with a little more marketing and a title sponsor.

PS - the fruit cake was not too bad either, how anyone could eat that while running I don't know:eek: 5 stars from me.;)
    Really enjoyed this today, a really well organised event with a great athmosphere - a credit to the organisers and marshalls who all had an encouraging word along the way.
    I did this last year and was telling anybody who would listen that it was a great indicator in terms of where you were at in terms of DCM preparation.

For myself, after having 2 fairly crappy training weeks ( combination of being abroad & not feeling great on home runs) I was hoping to push it a bit by going with the 3hr pacers for the duration and basically seeing how I got on. This was an over reach as I'm aiming for 3 10 in DCM but I needed to see where I'm at at a few weeks before the event, hence the push.

Anyway, started of with Slogger Jogger and Pronator(who was pacing - hope I got name right) but felt the first 2 miles too hot so dropped bank to a more comfortable pace of 7:38 or so and let them off.
    Tipped away for a while and, to cut a long story short, was able to catch up with the 3 HR pacers at about the 14 mile mark as Pronantor was sticking the pacing dictat which was great for lads like me who were trying to catch up(no sign of second pacer - think he reverted to 2:45 pacing ).
    After catching up it made it so much easier to carry on, between the encouragement from Pronator and the annoying easy way it was for Slogger Jogger to chat!

Finished up well but quote of the day belongs to SJ when going up the hill at mile 18;

Jaysus, these IMRA lads.................

Thanks to Pronantor for a great pacing job - much appreciated.

4 stars (good)
    Couldn't understand the fruitcake myself but it certainly proved popular !

Agree regarding race potential, was excellent last year and yesterday, a permanent fixture on the racing calendar I hope and plan to be back again next year

Pronator wrote: »
    RAL3 - Many thanks for the positive feedback on the pacing :DYour in better shape than the DCM target time that you are going for.:rolleyes:

I finished a little ahead of my predicted pacing time but I factored in slowing down at "the hill" at mile 18. This never happened.

This race really surprised me, I've done a lot of races and this race was excellent. Its got so much going for it. I thought the route was really nice, having done a few IMRA races them aint hills;) Slogger Jogger has brain washed me.

The overall organisation was superb and little I could fault. The post race rub down was most welcome. Well done to Barry and company. This race could really grow with a little more marketing and a title sponsor.

PS - the fruit cake was not too bad either, how anyone could eat that while running I don't know:eek: 5 stars from me.;)
    Really enjoyed this today, a really well organised event with a great athmosphere - a credit to the organisers and marshalls who all had an encouraging word along the way.
    I did this last year and was telling anybody who would listen that it was a great indicator in terms of where you were at in terms of DCM preparation.

For myself, after having 2 fairly crappy training weeks ( combination of being abroad & not feeling great on home runs) I was hoping to push it a bit by going with the 3hr pacers for the duration and basically seeing how I got on. This was an over reach as I'm aiming for 3 10 in DCM but I needed to see where I'm at at a few weeks before the event, hence the push.

Anyway, started of with Slogger Jogger and Pronator(who was pacing - hope I got name right) but felt the first 2 miles too hot so dropped bank to a more comfortable pace of 7:38 or so and let them off.
    Tipped away for a while and, to cut a long story short, was able to catch up with the 3 HR pacers at about the 14 mile mark as Pronantor was sticking the pacing dictat which was great for lads like me who were trying to catch up(no sign of second pacer - think he reverted to 2:45 pacing ).
    After catching up it made it so much easier to carry on, between the encouragement from Pronator and the annoying easy way it was for Slogger Jogger to chat!

Jaysus, these IMRA lads.................

Thanks to Pronantor for a great pacing job - much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

3 stars (average)
    Couldn't understand the fruitcake myself but it certainly proved popular !r
    naturel nrg provider wit a little extra fibre and tastes a whole lot better den a gel

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/baked-products/4903/2

4 stars (good)
    Thanks, did not know that, always learning something new. I find it hard to take on solid food during a run but must try it,,

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Couldn't understand the fruitcake myself but it certainly proved popular !r
    naturel nrg provider wit a little extra fibre and tastes a whole lot better den a gel

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/baked-products/4903/2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

ultraman1 wrote: »

The goodies looked great but didn't take any, should of had some, stuck to the Gels. I feel into a massive puddle of canal water there 3 weeks ago on an LSR :o, and I laughed about an hour later on the run when I was comparing the taste of the canal water to the gels, was a tough call!

Advertisement