Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New here

Options
  • 05-01-2011 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hello folks, came across this forum by pure chance when looking for info on Irish Street Fighter tournaments so thought i would sign up. Been playing the death outta Street Fighter since 4 was released and have been flirting with the idea of entering a local tournament just for experience and a bit of craic. Seen a couple of guys here that are on my friends list, RightBackBill and HoundofCuChulain. I main Gen and Guile at the minute so if anyone wants a few fights on endless (PS3) let me know, also if anyone has any info on upcoming tournaments could they give me the details, Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Mickles_86 wrote: »
    Hello folks, came across this forum by pure chance when looking for info on Irish Street Fighter tournaments so thought i would sign up. Been playing the death outta Street Fighter since 4 was released and have been flirting with the idea of entering a local tournament just for experience and a bit of craic. Seen a couple of guys here that are on my friends list, RightBackBill and HoundofCuChulain. I main Gen and Guile at the minute so if anyone wants a few fights on endless (PS3) let me know, also if anyone has any info on upcoming tournaments could they give me the details, Cheers

Welcome to the community Mickles!

I note you're a Guile player, feel free to add me, I'm hadoomken on PSN and I am the local Guile in these parts. We might be able to help each other.

I would recommend you also check out a few casual meet ups as well as tournaments as sometimes tournaments can be a bit rushed or tense so you mightn't get as much time to chill and have fun.

The big tournament is Inferno on the first Saturday of February in Dublin. These tournaments are recorded and put up on youtube etc etc. and it's as close as we get to the "big leagues" in Ireland.

Dreddy just announced a tag team tournament in the XGC on Liffey St. If you're eager come along, we'll find a partner for you.

Where you from? Pad player or stick?

EDIT: Just noticed you're from Newry. The University in Belfast used to have weekly meet ups but I haven't heard much talk about them lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Mickles_86

Welcome to the community Mickles!

I note you're a Guile player, feel free to add me, I'm hadoomken on PSN and I am the local Guile in these parts. We might be able to help each other.

I would recommend you also check out a few casual meet ups as well as tournaments as sometimes tournaments can be a bit rushed or tense so you mightn't get as much time to chill and have fun.

The big tournament is Inferno on the first Saturday of February in Dublin. These tournaments are recorded and put up on youtube etc etc. and it's as close as we get to the "big leagues" in Ireland.

Dreddy just announced a tag team tournament in the XGC on Liffey St. If you're eager come along, we'll find a partner for you.

Where you from? Pad player or stick?

Thanks for the info, maybe your right i am rushing into tournaments but i just wanna get one under my belt to see how i fare, only thing is i don't play much offline matches so that could be key. When is the tournament in Liffey St?

I use a pad although i did buy a TE fightstick off E-Bay and sold it again a month later, just didn't take to it and got frustrated losing a lot more than usual. Yeah i'll add you later and hopefully get a few matches, I have 16k Guile but litterally havn't touched him in months just got bored, picked up Gen a while back after seeing Bills Gen on another forum but havn't ranked him up, just mainly play endless

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

It's best to get to tournaments early I think so that when you do finally go to one where you have the skills to potentially win, you don't get as affected by tourney-nerves and end up losing matches that you shouldn't have!

There's still the weekly thing up in QUB but I haven't seen the SF crowd anywhere near as often, BlazBlue seems to be taking its place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i have a feeling you're gonna have the best guile in the country, we dont have many good guile players around here, nice to see some FINALLY.
    You should come down on saturday perhaps for 2vs2

Placebo wrote: »
    i have a feeling you're gonna have the best guile in the country, we dont have many good guile players around here, nice to see some FINALLY.
    You should come down on saturday perhaps for 2vs2

I doubt that mate, but i wouldn't mind finding out.lol. Use Gen at the minute so if i do end up entering a tournament that's who i will use. Whats the story with the 2v2 tournament, is it 360 and PS3 and would i need to take my own pad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Welcome to the boards Mickles! Looking forward to a Gen player :)
    Maybe your right i am rushing into tournaments but i just wanna get one under my belt to see how i fare
    I dont think you can rush into tournaments. Even if you get utterly whooped.
    I was utterly destroyed in my first tournament (and second... and third... and.. etc) but I always come away a far better player than when I entered. They're also far more fun than playing against faceless online opponents all the time.
    I use a pad although i did buy a TE fightstick off E-Bay and sold it again a month later, just didn't take to it and got frustrated losing a lot more than usual.
    While sticks aren't for everyone, they do take a while to get used to. I was losing far more than usual for weeks before I got the proper hang of mine, but now I'm glad I made the transition.

Cheers sairus

Yeah I know what you mean about coming out of each tournament learning more, SSFIV is the only game i play and i honestly wouldn't mind losing in the first round of a tournament as long as i learned something from it, but as long as i entered one and did my best i'll be happy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

There is only one way to enter the tournament scene:
    Feet-first, and at full sprint.

Also, our current tourney structure is:
    Pools -> Double-elimination Top 16

So you're guaranteed at least 3-4 proper games each Inferno. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Vyze wrote: »

There's still the weekly thing up in QUB but I haven't seen the SF crowd anywhere near as often, BlazBlue seems to be taking its place.

Everyone has just been busy with other stuff for a while but things should start getting back to normal with Belfast SF once January exams are out of the way.
    Dan was looking at bringing back the ranbats.

Good to see a player from the Down area , we have a guy who plays Cammy from Warrenpoint but he's such a scrub...

blag wrote: »
    Everyone has just been busy with other stuff for a while but things should start getting back to normal with Belfast SF once January exams are out of the way.
    Dan was looking at bringing back the ranbats.

Good to see a player from the Down area , we have a guy who plays Cammy from Warrenpoint but he's such a scrub...

If you get anymore info on belfast starting up again can you let me know? Is there cash involved or is it just casual? Who is the Cammy scrub player from warrenpoint?lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Gah no longer the newbie now :p

Welcome to the forums! o/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Welcome Mickles! Too bad I'm on Xbox as I need the Gen match-up practice.

Coblecogs from Warrenpoint? When he was 3 years old, I was up there with 10 lads boozing and taking yer wimmins. Oh God, I'm so old.

If you get anymore info on belfast starting up again can you let me know? Is there cash involved or is it just casual? Who is the Cammy scrub player from warrenpoint?lol :D

The tournaments in the North generally there's no money in because they're associated with college but I netted myself a cool 100 euro at at the last Inferno (Dublin tournament) between SSF2T and SSF4 :)

That was for a second place, first is twice that I think (it all depends on attendance though).

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

I'll be sure to let you know when we're having a session next, probably be in the next few weeks on a Saturday afternoon.

We usually play on xbox but there should be ps3's around if needed, just might be a lack of ps3 sticks.

The tournaments in the North generally there's no money in because they're associated with college but I netted myself a cool 100 euro at at the last Inferno (Dublin tournament) between SSF2T and SSF4 :)

That was for a second place, first is twice that I think (it all depends on attendance though).

I'm gonna try and make inferno and see what happens, how much is the entrance fee and is there any booze allowed down there?

blag wrote: »
    I'll be sure to let you know when we're having a session next, probably be in the next few weeks on a Saturday afternoon.

We usually play on xbox but there should be ps3's around if needed, just might be a lack of ps3 sticks.

Thanks i appreciate that. i don't use a stick i'll take my pad then just to be sure

I'm gonna try and make inferno and see what happens, how much is the entrance fee and is there any booze allowed down there?

I've actually got no idea if drinks allowed. I have never drank during an inferno. I have a sneaking suspicion it mightn't be too popular with the people who own the room we rent.

We tend to go on the beer after all the time though!

I've actually got no idea if drinks allowed. I have never drank during an inferno. I have a sneaking suspicion it mightn't be too popular with the people who own the room we rent.

We tend to go on the beer after all the time though!

I wanna get my mates down with me so if they can drink during inferno that would keep them happy because none of them are street fighter fans, but if not its cool

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Inferno is so HYPE, they won't need booze! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Hey man, welcome to the scene. I've been MIA since starting a new job in newry, just wondering what part of newry you're in? Newry town? I'm just out on the old warrenpoint road, wouldn't say no to a few sparring matches!

Let me know

• Advertisement

I wanna get my mates down with me so if they can drink during inferno that would keep them happy because none of them are street fighter fans, but if not its cool

I don't think that'd be such a good idea myself but I don't run inferno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Ah here the last thing we want is a load of fellas drinking cans in there :pac:

I don't think that'd be such a good idea myself but I don't run inferno.

I didn't think so but thought i would ask anyway

animaX wrote: »
    Hey man, welcome to the scene. I've been MIA since starting a new job in newry, just wondering what part of newry you're in? Newry town? I'm just out on the old warrenpoint road, wouldn't say no to a few sparring matches!

Let me know

Yeah in the town, living up in Barcroft. up for a few spars surely whats your PSN ID and i'll add you, I should be on soon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i would advise against cans , we are building a strong ongoing relationship with the new venue and cannot afford to tarnish it with any ill behavior, rubbish lying around or any sort of spillage, specially considering the high tec electronic equipment put in place for recording/commentary and projector[y].

423605_no_drinking.jpg

also one or two of the contenders may be underage and the smell of alcohol may affect their playing ability, such a liability will interfere with regulations put in place by Ineferno committee (Inc)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

i would advise against cans , we are building a strong ongoing relationship with the new venue and cannot afford to tarnish it with any ill behavior, rubbish lying around or any sort of spillage, specially considering the high tec electronic equipment put in place for recording/commentary and projector[y].

423605_no_drinking.jpg

also one or two of the contenders may be underage and the smell of alcohol may affect their playing ability, such a liability will interfere with regulations put in place by Ineferno committee (Inc)

Pffffft

high tec electronic equipment put in place for recording/commentary and projector[y].

also one or two of the contenders may be underage

Good points, I had forgotten Cobelcog's 16 and Gorysnake's 12.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Whats your online tag?

Azza wrote: »
    Whats your online tag?

PSN Mickles_86

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The venue for Inferno is in Temple Bar. It is surrounded by pubs. If they want a drink, they can get one, but as the organiser I'd rather there was no drinking at the tournament venue itself.

Advertisement